View Full Version : Running back Moore returns to practice for Steelers

mesaSteeler
01-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Running back Moore returns to practice for Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717033.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 7, 2011

Running back Mewelde Moore returned to practice Thursday, as the Steelers concluded their work week. Still not practicing were right tackle Flozell Adams, receiver Hines Ward, safety Troy Polamalu, linebackers James Harrison and James Farrior, cornerback Bryant McFadden and defensive end Aaron Smith. All except Smith, who dressed for practice but didn't participate, are scheduled to practice when players return Sunday. Smith's status for the Jan. 15 playoff game at Heinz Field remains uncertain.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and left guard Chris Kemoeatu switched jerseys at practice. Roethlisberger wore No. 68 and Kemoeatu wore No. 7.

Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey is happy with the direction the running game is headed. "We like the things that we're doing,'' Pouncey said. Told that the majority of running back Rashard Mendenhall's big runs have come on the right side this season, Pouncey said, "We like to keep it balanced. But if it's working, we're going to keep doing it until somebody stops us.''

Ward said he'll watch the playoff games on TV this weekend but not as a fan. "We can't watch it as entertainment. I've been around so long, I can't watch it without critiquing it.'' said Ward, 34, who will be appearing in his 15th playoff game. Ward said the Steelers didn't prepare for any potential playoff opponent this week with good reason. "Preparing for a team we're not playing is a waste of time,'' Ward said. "It's Steelers vs. Steelers (in practice). It's not about the other teams.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

TRH
01-07-2011, 08:15 AM
glad to see some of the big guys getting a little rest. Hopefully, they'll come out next week for a good practice and have strong work-outs in the weight room too

wootawnee
01-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Glad to see MeMo out on the field.......He made a couple huge plays every game in 08.....Thats what he does.........I love him.......

PhantomJB93
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Moore returning to the lineup is literally the worst thing that could happen to this offense. I swear to god Arians has a fetish with him and wastes so many unecesary plays trying to get him the ball, and it never works. I was hoping he was out for the season so Arians wouldn't be tempted.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Moore returning to the lineup is literally the worst thing that could happen to this offense. I swear to god Arians has a fetish with him and wastes so many unecesary plays trying to get him the ball, and it never works. I was hoping he was out for the season so Arians wouldn't be tempted.

Cruel, but true. I personally am a fan of Memo's, but he has definitely had a bit of an offseason this year. No worries, the guys can't play at an elite level every season-- some off years are allowed. He can come back strong next year, but right now, I think the Mendy/Redman combination is our best bet for the postseason.

PhantomJB93
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Cruel, but true. I personally am a fan of Memo's, but he has definitely had a bit of an offseason this year. No worries, the guys can't play at an elite level every season-- some off years are allowed. He can come back strong next year, but right now, I think the Mendy/Redman combination is our best bet for the postseason.

I mean I appreciate what he did for us two years ago in Parker's absence but again that was two years ago, he's not the same and between Mendy and Redman I see no reason whatsoever to be in on any offensive play, yet somehow he seems to get like 1/3 of the snaps...Peronsally I think those snaps should be split about 3/4 Mendy and 1/4 Redman and Moore should only get in if somebody's injured, but that's not the Arians way for some reason.

cubanstogie
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I mean I appreciate what he did for us two years ago in Parker's absence but again that was two years ago, he's not the same and between Mendy and Redman I see no reason whatsoever to be in on any offensive play, yet somehow he seems to get like 1/3 of the snaps...Peronsally I think those snaps should be split about 3/4 Mendy and 1/4 Redman and Moore should only get in if somebody's injured, but that's not the Arians way for some reason.

I appreciate 2 and 3 years ago as well, this year not so much. Redman has more upside. I always figured he was Tomlins teachers pet due to playing with the Vikes together, Hopefully being a veteran he will switch gears in the playoffs like so many do.
I have a feeling Hines will this post season.

LVSteelersfan
01-07-2011, 06:03 PM
What irritates me so much about Moore this year is they tried to turn him into an every down back when Mendenhall should have stayed in the game. He is a great third down back but he truly sucked on first and second down. Stupid Arians once again. Mendenhall is the type of back who needs reps to wear the defense down. Arians is still a moron. I hope they don't use Moore like that in the playoffs or we may very well be one and done.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I love Moore as well. And he has been playing better lately, cause he was terible early on. But with that said,,,Boy! Not to Dis Moore but,,I sure would like to see how a FRESH, 235 Lb J-Dwyer would do coming at some of these teams.

Just sayin!

Third Rail
01-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and left guard Chris Kemoeatu switched jerseys at practice. Roethlisberger wore No. 68 and Kemoeatu wore No. 7.

I wonder how that looked. I imagine Ben was swimming in that thing while Kemo was ripping through his like the Incredible Hulk. :chuckle:

Rick5895
01-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Our offense scored TD's in the red zone against Cleveland without Moore, wihtout him in the Arians couldn't use him for series at a time and try to run sweeps with him, Redmans blitz pick up has improved to the point where I will say it's on par with Mewelde. It would be a mistake to use him more than just a few plays in the playoffs.

Fire Haley
01-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Is Ben still wearing that Frankenstein boot on his clubfoot? - - that's what I want to know.