PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt Trying To Poach Steelers Again

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2011, 07:13 AM
This from Ed. B. of the P-G

Look for Ken Whisenhunt to come after Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler to be his defensive coordinator again. Whis has tried to get Butler a couple of times, first when he was hired as the coach in Arizona and again two years ago when Butler turned them down.

Whisenhunt fired his defensive coordinator Billy Davis after two seasons. Davis was the fall guy for the inability of the Cardinals to sign several of their top defensive players who left via free agency.

Butler is considered the top defensive coach on the Steelers after coordinator Dick LeBeau and the man most likely to take over should LeBeau retire.

The Cardinals are expected to ask permission from the Steelers to talk to Butler, if they already have not done so. They would have to talk to him before the weekend via NFL rules.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers

The real "one trick pony" is not Mike Wallace - it is Whisenhunt. His answer to every question is trying to hire someone from the Steelers.

I suppose Butler might be getting tired of waiting for Coach Dad to retire a D-coordinator, but it looks like Arizona has lapsed back into its standard condition of dysfunction. Sitting tight in Pittsburgh might be the better career move unless Butler believes the Steelers defense is due to fall off due to age and it is time to move on before the decline arrives.

Add to that some recent hires of Steeler alums by Whiz (Porter and Faneca) that did not go well and Whiz might be getting some pressure to hire somene from the 30 other teans that play in the NFL.

jizzballz
01-07-2011, 07:49 AM
coach wizenhunt is a retard

TRH
01-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Butler hopefully proceeds cautiously....he's got something good here. Something seemingly better is not always what it appears......
I would expect Whiz to poach from the Steelers and as more time passes, the gladder i get that the Steelers passed on him.

wnyBob
01-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Maybe we can talk him into taking Bruce instead of Butler. In the negotiation process we may have to offer up Bruce plus his first years salary to get them to take him. lol

SteelCityMom
01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I have a feeling that Butler will continue to be patient. You don't wait this long only to bail when you're going to get the promotion you want with the team you want within a year or two (if that). If money and title were a serious issue, I think he would have left years ago.

madtowndrunkard
01-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Id' say far from it. Whiz is one of the best O Coordinators I've ever seen....especially on game day. Not to mention he quickly had one of the worst franchises ever in the SB....and damn near won it.

Put your self in his shoes....I'd be after Butler to. You hire who you know. Whiz knows first hand just how important Butler is to our defense.

I hope and suspect Butler can take over the D-coordinator position from Dick as soon as Dick steps down. That has to be attractive to Butler who seems quite content living in Pittsburgh.

wootawnee
01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
This from Ed. B. of the P-G

Look for Ken Whisenhunt to come after Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler to be his defensive coordinator again. Whis has tried to get Butler a couple of times, first when he was hired as the coach in Arizona and again two years ago when Butler turned them down.

Whisenhunt fired his defensive coordinator Billy Davis after two seasons. Davis was the fall guy for the inability of the Cardinals to sign several of their top defensive players who left via free agency.

Butler is considered the top defensive coach on the Steelers after coordinator Dick LeBeau and the man most likely to take over should LeBeau retire.

The Cardinals are expected to ask permission from the Steelers to talk to Butler, if they already have not done so. They would have to talk to him before the weekend via NFL rules.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers

The real "one trick pony" is not Mike Wallace - it is Whisenhunt. His answer to every question is trying to hire someone from the Steelers.

I suppose Butler might be getting tired of waiting for Coach Dad to retire a D-coordinator, but it looks like Arizona has lapsed back into its standard condition of dysfunction. Sitting tight in Pittsburgh might be the better career move unless Butler believes the Steelers defense is due to fall off due to age and it is time to move on before the decline arrives.

Add to that some recent hires of Steeler alums by Whiz (Porter and Faneca) that did not go well and Whiz might be getting some pressure to hire somene from the 30 other teans that play in the NFL.

Come on Man!!

You move away and coach a basement team and see where you go for good things......Yep.......That's where you will...........Back home to your roots, where they tell it like it is.............And they love you...............Hang in there Whiz, and get you a thrower this draft or soon!!..........

StainlessStill
01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Man, this guys obsessed with us. Maybe that's why he's not successful, stealing our players and philosophies which is preventing him from making his own stamp. What a douche. Either build his OWN team, or just fire Arians and bring Whiz back so he doesn't resort to stealing our players haha.:chuckle:

Wallace108
01-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Maybe we can talk him into taking Bruce instead of Butler.l
:sofunny:

Butler has had plenty of opportunities to leave the Steelers, and he hasn't. I doubt he's going anywhere now. Sorry, Whiz.

Buddha Bus
01-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I liked Whiz as an O-coordinator here in Pittsburgh. He was great for devising trick plays and unpredictable playcalling. He utilized the skill set of the players he had very well (see Randle-El). That said, it doesn't necessarily make him a good head coach (see Norv Turner and Wade Phillips).

He had Kurt Warner when they went to the SB, and he carried that team a great deal. He's gone now and how are they doing? I'll believe Whiz is a good head coach once he reloads through the draft and makes the Cards a competitive team again like the Steelers have done for decades.

I wasn't totally sold on Mike Tomlin after his SB win because he did it with a lot of Cowher's talent, but he has definitely made some excellent choices, with the help of the front office, with his quality draft picks. They weren't ALL hits (see Bruce Davis, Sweed so far, Burnett), but quite a few are looking REALLY good right now (see Timmons, Wallace, Sanders, Woodley, Mendenhall, Pouncey, Brown).

Jury's still out in my opinion. I wish Whiz the best of luck though!

jizzballz
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Id' say far from it. Whiz is one of the best O Coordinators I've ever seen....especially on game day. Not to mention he quickly had one of the worst franchises ever in the SB....and damn near won it.

Put your self in his shoes....I'd be after Butler to. You hire who you know. Whiz knows first hand just how important Butler is to our defense.

I hope and suspect Butler can take over the D-coordinator position from Dick as soon as Dick steps down. That has to be attractive to Butler who seems quite content living in Pittsburgh.

i would be after ron rivera as my defensive co-ordinator. we have no clue as to how good butler will be at defensive coordinator, it will be a gamble when he's our d-cord.

unless their is such credible source saying he's an outstanding linebacker coach from players and coaches, minus pittsburgh's.

stb_steeler
01-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I say he's not goin anywhere!...:tt02:

madtowndrunkard
01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
i would be after ron rivera as my defensive co-ordinator. we have no clue as to how good butler will be at defensive coordinator, it will be a gamble when he's our d-cord.

unless their is such credible source saying he's an outstanding linebacker coach from players and coaches, minus pittsburgh's.

What? You are kidding right? lol wow I think you need to pay closer attention.

mesaSteeler
01-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Butler would be out of mind to leave the Rooney's and work for bozo bidwell the cheapskate. Whiz probably won't last out next season before he is canned.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Butler would be out of mind to leave the Rooney's and work for bozo bidwell the cheapskate. Whiz probably won't last out next season before he is canned.

Whiz signed a 4 year contract extension for about $5.5 - $6 million per last summer - as is the case with Mike Brown of the Bengals, Bidwell is too cheap to fire Whisenhunt and have to pay off on that contract before it expires

Neverheless, that team is in meltdown without Warner at QB and the Rams as the team with the franchise QB in that division

Hayeksheroes
01-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Belichek poaches Steelers as well. So what's the big deal?

Hayeksheroes
01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Can Whisenhunt poach Arians?

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Belichek poaches Steelers as well. So what's the big deal?

Belichick may sign an occasional third stringer, but if you compare the number of signings there is no comparison in terms of the number of signings or the quality of those signed - and I certainly do not recall Belichick seeking to sign nearly the number of ex-Steelers coaches Whiz has sought

P.S. - as one who prefers the Keynesian school of economic theory I am personally offended by your screen name:chuckle::drink:

wootawnee
01-08-2011, 04:07 AM
I liked Whiz as an O-coordinator here in Pittsburgh. He was great for devising trick plays and unpredictable playcalling. He utilized the skill set of the players he had very well (see Randle-El). That said, it doesn't necessarily make him a good head coach (see Norv Turner and Wade Phillips).

He had Kurt Warner when they went to the SB, and he carried that team a great deal. He's gone now and how are they doing? I'll believe Whiz is a good head coach once he reloads through the draft and makes the Cards a competitive team again like the Steelers have done for decades.

I wasn't totally sold on Mike Tomlin after his SB win because he did it with a lot of Cowher's talent, but he has definitely made some excellent choices, with the help of the front office, with his quality draft picks. They weren't ALL hits (see Bruce Davis, Sweed so far, Burnett), but quite a few are looking REALLY good right now (see Timmons, Wallace, Sanders, Woodley, Mendenhall, Pouncey, Brown).

Jury's still out in my opinion. I wish Whiz the best of luck though!

'It just goes to show you how bad his qb's are........U can win o games with that talent.... He also lost Dansby, Bouldin......Those are 2 pro bowlers......

wootawnee
01-08-2011, 04:09 AM
Can Whisenhunt poach Arians?

HA...

SteelKnight
01-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Maybe next year they fire Whiz and he comes to work as O-coord under Tomlin. His tenure looks bleak with no QB.

Then again, I would only want him if he were humble.

Butler should sit put, continue to study under Lebeau and start making up his own defenses.
As good as butler is, we'd be fine without him and if he is going to leave, he might as well leave soon so we can start grooming another replacement.

SH-Rock
01-08-2011, 09:31 AM
I think Butler will stay, hell I'd stay. Working for the best defensive coordinator would be a honor. Why doesn't he poach BA?

mesaSteeler
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Whiz signed a 4 year contract extension for about $5.5 - $6 million per last summer - as is the case with Mike Brown of the Bengals, Bidwell is too cheap to fire Whisenhunt and have to pay off on that contract before it expires

Neverheless, that team is in meltdown without Warner at QB and the Rams as the team with the franchise QB in that division

You make a valid point however and he may have signed a four year contract but you have to live in Phoenix to truly appreciate the angst of the Cardinal fans. They are calling for Whiz's head and Bozo Bidwell is known for being erratic if nothing else.

The Cardinal fans are so ignorant that they thought they had a dynasty type team when the went to the SuperBowl. In reality all they had was a team that got hot and then caught every possible break during their playoff run. It's high comedy to listen to these clowns whine after every loss. The stupid Cardinal fans are totally clueless but very noisy in their unrealistic disappointment.

Whiz has no chance to build a winning team here and still thinks he can be his own OC. He is desperate and trapped. If, as is almost a certainly the case, the Turdnials stink up the worst division in football again next year I would not be shocked if the Bozo Bidwell canned Whiz. Particually if Whiz has a meltdown like Dennis Green.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKIcnj1MJY

Bozo fired Dennis Green when he had one year left on his contract and the chorus calling for Whiz's head here is Phoenix is getting ever louder.

SH-Rock
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
You make a valid point however and he may have signed a four year contract but you have to live in Phoenix to truly appreciate the angst of the Cardinal fans. They are calling for Whiz's head and Bozo Bidwell is known for being erratic if nothing else.

The Cardinal fans are so ignorant that they thought they had a dynasty type team when the went to the SuperBowl. In reality all they had was a team that got hot and then caught every possible break during their playoff run. It's high comedy to listen to these clowns whine after every loss. The stupid Cardinal fans are totally clueless but very noisy in their unrealistic disappointment.

Whiz has no chance to build a winning team here and still thinks he can be his own OC. He is desperate and trapped. If, as is almost a certainly the case, the Turdnials stink up the worst division in football again next year I would not be shocked if the Bozo Bidwell canned Whiz. Particually if Whiz has a meltdown like Dennis Green.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKIcnj1MJY

Bozo fired Dennis Green when he had one year left on his contract and the chorus calling for Whiz's head here is Phoenix is getting ever louder.

And to think last year people thought it was the wrong move to hire Tomlin. He only won a Superbowl because of Cowher's team...
:doh::rofl:

Fire Haley
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Maybe Cowher should go work for The Whiz as defensive guru, since he can't find work anywhere's else.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Man, this guys obsessed with us. Maybe that's why he's not successful, stealing our players and philosophies which is preventing him from making his own stamp. What a douche. Either build his OWN team, or just fire Arians and bring Whiz back so he doesn't resort to stealing our players haha.:chuckle:

That'd be nice actually.

StainlessStill
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
If you look at the landscape of our team and with LeBeau not getting any younger, you'd think Butler would be our next defensive coordinator being in this system for SO long. Why would he leave for a piss poor organization when the same job, one to where he's comfortable in, would be waiting in the wings?

Kanata-Steeler
01-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Geezus, I could only wish the "WIZ" was our Offensive Leader once again. Ariens? -nuthin but his water-boy.

fer522
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM

he goes after people tha work for the best team in the league
and you call him a retard :noidea: