PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Underrated Steeler of All time ?

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I thought it would be fun to discuss all of our former " Underrated " Steeler players.
For me, this is alot easier then I thought. Cause I am biased. To me, without a DOUBT my most Underrated Steeler of ALL TIME is one Mr.Darren Perry!

Darren, the 8th rounder out of Penn State was such a great leader, that the 8th round rookie was not only named the starting Safety,,but was named our Defensive Captain, and was given the responsibility of calling ALL the defensive plays. In 8 years, Perry accululated 35 total Interceptions. Current Safety Troy Polamalu, also just finished his 8th season has 27 Interceptions. And Perry was not given the free reign that Troy has. Perry was also a " Rock Solid " run defender and great tackler.

And with all that, Perry was never voted on to a NFL Pro Bowl team...eben though the LEAGUE voted him All Pro in 94..( Funny huh ? ) Darren, who was on our coaching squad from 2003-2006, and was basically responsible for the development of such Pro Bowl players like Troy, and Chris Hope,,is now an Ast Coach on the Green Bay Packers right now :banging:....And I truly wish he was back here on our staff,,,where the great, " UNDERRATED " guy belongs.

I'm NOT trying to convince ANY fan here to agree with my own personal choice. Just to start a thread where we can ALL Give praise to our favorite " Underrated " Steelers
of All time. Thanks for ALL the great memories Darren. I KNOW ALL Steeler fans who remember you, deeply appreciate you :tt04:

harrison'samonster
01-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Awesome thread, I might have to go with Larry Foote. On any other team he could have had a chance to get more recognition.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Awesome thread, I might have to go with Larry Foote. On any other team he could have had a chance to get more recognition.

I like Larry. Very underrated, but he left, and had a chance to be the main guy on Detroit, and they basically let him go. So I can't place him even on my top-10 Underrated steelers. Even though I do like, and admire him.

Fire Arians
01-07-2011, 04:54 PM
carnell lake

ricardisimo
01-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't know if Levon Kirkland qualifies as "underrated" or not, because he did make the 90s All-Decade team. However, he only made the Pro Bowl twice and first-team All-American once, which are crimes. He was a lot of fun to watch.

Oh, and I always liked O'Donnell a lot too, even though he caught a lot of shit during his tenure.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
carnell lake

I don't see how anyone can call a 5 time Pro Bowl player " Underrated " Lake was given alot of national respect around the league...hense not underrated. And he was not a great Ball-Hawk. But was a great Intimidater and tackler. But not Underrated.

Hobbes
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
There are many but I'm going with the tight end from those 70's teams Randy Grossman

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 05:00 PM
There are many but I'm going with the tight end from those 70's teams Randy Grossman

Great choice. One of Terry's all time favorite targets when we needed a catch :tt04:

Rick5895
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
For me it's Rocky Bleier. For my money one of the toughest S.O.B's to ever wear the Black and Gold. He could do it all run, block and catch and was overshadowed by a hall of famer.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 05:08 PM
For me it's Rocky Bleier. For my money one of the toughest S.O.B's to ever wear the Black and Gold. He could do it all run, block and catch and was overshadowed by a hall of famer.

Again,,,Rocky was NOT in any way ever considered " Underrated " I can't imagine any steeler fan agreeing with that. Yes he was great. But he was recognized as a tough player, and was on several Pro Bowl teams.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 05:11 PM
To me, another 2 great, and very Underrated Steeler players of all time were....

Joel Steed. A TOUGH, Hard-nosed DT who did our dirty work.

David Little. Steeler fans older then 45 will remember this dominating MLB who was never given the credit he deserved. Both of these guys made 1 Pro Bowl each. And in Little's case he was a alternate after 3 other LB's dropped out. Both of these guys were TRUE Steeler Warriors! :helmet: And should ALWAYS be remembered, and respected by Steeler fans.

cloppbeast
01-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Neil O'Donnell

He always got a bunch of shit from the fans in Pittsburgh, but he did his part. The Steelers were a run the ball and play good defense team when he played, and did a good job in his game manager role. He never threw more than 9 interceptions in a season. He was voted the team's MVP in 1995.

He played poorly in Super Bowl XXX, but no worse than Ben in Super Bowl XL. Let's not forget that he brought us to the Super Bowl in '95, but lost to a great football team. He took us to the AFC Championship in '94 as well, and was one dropped pass by Barry Foster from the Super Bowl that year as well.

Rick5895
01-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Again,,,Rocky was NOT in any way ever considered " Underrated " I can't imagine any steeler fan agreeing with that. Yes he was great. But he was recognized as a tough player, and was on several Pro Bowl teams.
This is an opinion and just because you don't agree doesn't make it wrong. BTW Rocky was not on any Pro Bowl teams let alone several.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
This is an opinion and just because you don't agree doesn't make it wrong. BTW Rocky was not on any Pro Bowl teams let alone several.

Really, I thought he was. But in any case you're right. This is all about opinions. But even without the Pro Bowls,,,with 4 SB titles, I still wouldn't put Rocky on any underrated list. But you can if you think he was Underrated, or Underappreciated around the league.

cubanstogie
01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Heath Miller, the guy has missed 4 games in 6 years and has only made the pro bowl as a replacement. He is not a receiver like Gates and Dallas Clark he is a true TE. Mr consistency.

Stu Pidasso
01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Old school: Bennie Cunningham

New school: Aaron Smith

DanRooney
01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Brett Keisel. No Pro Bowls. No media hype. Yet a very solid player nobody would dare to trash on boards.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 05:52 PM
How about Dan Kreider as a " Underrated " Steeler ?.....even though I am SURE ole Ray-Ray Lewis doesn't think he is Underrated :-)

tony hipchest
01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
i always liked merril hoge in the throwback underdog mold.

i think wayne gandy deserves some props (although not my all time favorite).

MDSteel15
01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Where do I start here... Merril Hoge, Bennie Cunningham, Darren Perry, Jon Kolb, Ernie Holmes, Theo Bell, Larry Foote, Ernie Mills, Hardy Nickerson, Randy Grossman, Mike Wagner, Dwight White, Louis Lipps, Ernest Jackson, Dwayne Woodruff, Jerry Olsavsky, Terry Long, Delton Hall, Mike Merriweather........

MDSteel15
01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Brett Keisel. No Pro Bowls. No media hype. Yet a very solid player nobody would dare to trash on boards.

1st Pro Bowl is this year!!

wutchy
01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Underrated "Steeler"? How about Donny Shell, Dirt Winston, Yancy Thigpen, Dwayne Woodruff, David Johnson, Greg Lloyd, Frankie Pollard.

Who remembers Deon figures, Willie Williams, Eric Pegram, Ernie Mills, Ray Seals, Leon Searcy, and the most underrated and under appreciated BRENDAN STAI?

The list is long. But the most underrated guy who was truly great, and i do mean great, was JOHN JACKSON. The under appreciated award goes to Brendan Stai.

Steeler fans seldon mention Jackson and Stai, thats a shame.

David Johnson played opposite Rod Woodson, and Johnson was no easy pickins either. Neither was Willie Willaims , and Lethon Flowers would hit you like a truck. Lethon was lethal

TRH
01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Mark Brunell at TE and for now, i would agree with Kiesel....he gets a ton of respect here, but he's highly underrated on a league fan level

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Underrated "Steeler"? How about Donny Shell, Dirt Winston, Yancy Thigpen, Dwayne Woodruff, David Johnson, Greg Lloyd, Frankie Pollard.

Who remembers Deon figures, Willie Williams, Eric Pegram, Ernie Mills, Ray Seals, Leon Searcy, and the most underrated and under appreciated BRENDAN STAI?

The list is long. But the most underrated guy who was truly great, and i do mean great, was JOHN JACKSON. The under appreciated award goes to Brendan Stai.

Some good names. But Greg Lloyd is NOT Underrated. And I think we could ALL agree that D.Figures name should NEVER be mentioned here again :rofl:

MDSteel15
01-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Go back to the last page!
:thumbsup:

wutchy
01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Mike Merriweather is one guy i wish would have stuck around.

But i'll make a toast to Hardy Nickerson. All but forgotten by steeler fans.

MDSteel15
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM

David Johnson played opposite Rod Woodson, and Johnson was no easy pickins either. Neither was Willie Willaims , and Lethon Flowers would hit you like a truck. Lethon was lethal

And Yancy wasn't underrated, he was a traitor....

MDSteel15
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Mike Merriweather is one guy i wish would have stuck around.

But i'll make a toast to Hardy Nickerson. All but forgotten by steeler fans.

NEVER!!!

wutchy
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Some good names. But Greg Lloyd is NOT Underrated. And I think we could ALL agree that D.Figures name should NEVER be mentioned here again :rofl:

Just think if Deon Figures wouldn't have gotten shot in the knee. I like him and Bam and Brentsen Buckner. The steelers of the 90's played some hard ball. IF WE ONLY WOULD OF HAD BEN THEN!

lionslicer
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Dan Kreider

stb_steeler
Tunch Ilkin....who know serves as radio boadcaster with Hillgrove.:drink:

MDSteel15
Just think if Deon Figures wouldn't have gotten shot in the knee. I like him and Bam and Brentsen Buckner. The steelers of the 90's played some hard ball. IF WE ONLY WOULD OF HAD BEN THEN!

Yeah, Bam was a moron! How much pot was he caught with? Enough to get all of Pittsburgh high!!!

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Hardy will never be forgotten by steeler fans. And second,,,he is as Underrated as Jack Lambert was...serious! Nickerson was a tackling maching, and was on multiple Pro Bowl teams. I'm sorry our team did not keep him.

wutchy
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
And Yancy wasn't underrated, he was a traitor....

How was Yancy a traitor, the steelers could have paid him. I don't know how you let guys like Yancy, Hardy, and Merriweather walk away without making a serious bid to keep em.

MDSteel15
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Hardy will never be forgotten by steeler fans. And second,,,he is as Underrated as Jack Lambert was...serious! Nickerson was a tackling maching, and was on multiple Pro Bowl teams. I'm sorry our team did not keep him.

I think by underrated with him we are saying he doesn't get mentioned with the other LBs when discussing them.... :popcorn:

MDSteel15
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
How was Yancy a traitor, the steelers could have paid him. I don't know how you let guys like Yancy, Hardy, and Merriweather walk away without making a serious bid to keep em.

Just playing Wutchy.. I liked Thig

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Mike Merriweather,,,wasn't he traded away ? And if anything, Tancy was OVERRATED! Great call on not re-signing him. He was always dinged up. And never worth what he thought he was. That's TWICE the Titans signed a scrub steeler cast off WR...He and Nate :wink02:

cubanstogie
01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
what about Robin Cole, I really don't remember if he was a stud or not because I was young and obviously he was overshadowed by Ham and Lambert.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Gotta go with my avatar. Easily the 3rd best QB the Steelers have ever had (2nd best prior to the 2004 season). Especially after Green and Foster left following 1994, he really took the offense on his shoulders. He was always accurate and never made the big mistake. If only his receivers had run the correct routes. Oh well.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
what about Robin Cole, I really don't remember if he was a stud or not because I was young and obviously he was overshadowed by Ham and Lambert.

Good choice. But Robin was just over-shadowed by the other great LB's in Pittsburgh. He was voted to one Pro Bowl, and was 1st team All FNL in 84. Not totally underrated, but I can see why you would choose him.

stb_steeler
01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Gotta go with my avatar. Easily the 3rd best QB the Steelers have ever had (2nd best prior to the 2004 season). Especially after Green and Foster left following 1994, he really took the offense on his shoulders. He was always accurate and never made the big mistake. If only his receivers had run the correct routes. Oh well.

You mean like they did in SBXXX

zulater
01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Geez, I could think of a hundred. Merrill Hoge would be a good one, anyone remember the playoffs from 89? Damn Merrill stepped up big in those games.

Mike Wagner was another guy, I think he had 8 interceptions one year.

Sam Davis, what a pulling guard he was, guy was little relatively speaking, but man he'd get out there and Franco would ride his hip... good memories.

Let's see Louis Lipps, what an exciting player, too bad he never had a great qb to throw him the ball.

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Fantastic choices everyone :thumbsup:

Okay, so lets change it up a bit shall we ? How about some opinions on past players you wish were NEVER STEELERS! I wil go first,,,I would say I wish we never drafted, Oh say...,,Jamain Stephens!! :banging:

What a waste of a pick he was. Any others guys ?

zulater
01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Fantastic choices everyone :thumbsup:

Okay, so lets change it up a bit shall we ? How about some opinions on past players you wish were NEVER STEELERS! I wil go first,,,I would say I wish we never drafted, Oh say...,,Jamain Stephens!! :banging:

What a waste of a pick he was. Any others guys ?

How about Senor Sack, Gabe Rivera. I mean too bad the guy screwed his life up by driving drunk, he's paid for it every day of his life since. and truthfully the guy was showing some promise before he got in his accident. But what Gabe will always represent to me is the guy we didn't draft that year that we should have. Namely one Dan Marino! :banging:

sarahpalinhater
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Well with Gabe,,we will never know. I mean he MIGHT have been the next Reggie White for all we know. However...One who will NEVER be mentioned with Reggie White's name is one...Jeremy Staat!! Remember that one steeler fans ?...YUK!!

Rick5895
01-07-2011, 07:54 PM
KIETH GARY

ETL
01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Easy.

IKE TAYLOR

USWSteel
01-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Mark Brunell at TE and for now, i would agree with Kiesel....he gets a ton of respect here, but he's highly underrated on a league fan level

OMG... are you sure you have any idea what you speak of ? Mark Brunnell is a QB that never played for the Steelers !!! I think you mean Mark Bruener !!!!:tt:

DFWSTEELERFAN
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Hodge 33:sofunny:

4xSBChamps
01-07-2011, 10:05 PM
... obviously he was overshadowed by Ham and Lambert.

before those 2 came-along, it was generally understood that this man was a shoe-in for the Hall-of-Fame

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/AndyRussellSB10.jpg

today, few Steeler fans remember or recognize the name of Andy Russell, captain of the Steel Curtain and a 7-time Pro Bowl

StainlessStill
01-07-2011, 10:18 PM
First off, Ike Taylor should be a LOCK. I've always had an appreciation for Deshea Townsend and guys like Jerry Oslavski and Dan Kreider. I actually don't think Ryan Clark gets the credentials he deserves and always, always loved Orpheus Roye ever since I seen him make pancake after pancake on special teams over and over again back in the day. Larry Foote I always thought was better than people gave credit for as well.

So for me;

Ike
Deshea
Krieder
Clark
Oslavski
Roye
Foote

TRH
01-08-2011, 08:23 AM
OMG... are you sure you have any idea what you speak of ? Mark Brunnell is a QB that never played for the Steelers !!! I think you mean Mark Bruener !!!!:tt:

OOPS!! My bad....thats exactly what i meant lol

steeltheone
01-08-2011, 09:19 AM

On any other team he would have not been surrounded by pro bowl players to cover up his average play.

Bobby_Walden
01-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Great thread ! Fun stuff. Got a few to throw in the mix from the 70's.

Moon Mullins - as solid as it gets as a Steeler Guard. 4 Superbowls.
Steve Furness - great pass rusher ! ...died too young.

How about Carlton Haselrig...had a great few years in the early 90's.

zulater
01-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Great thread ! Fun stuff. Got a few to throw in the mix from the 70's.

Moon Mullins - as solid as it gets as a Steeler Guard. 4 Superbowls.
Steve Furness - great pass rusher ! ...died too young.

How about Carlton Haselrig...had a great few years in the early 90's.

Moon Mullins is a great one. In fact outside of Webster you could say that entire offensive line was underrated. Jon Kolb not getting a whiff of the Hall of Fame is a joke.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Ben Roethlisberger, of course I do not feel he is under rated, but the Media nationwide certain has thought so.

Although they are coming around.

All about Holmes and the catch, well it took our QB to drive 90 plus yards with penalties to get into that position. More importantly, place the ball perfectly.

sarahpalinhater
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Ben Roethlisberger, of course I do not feel he is under rated, but the Media nationwide certain has thought so.

Although they are coming around.

All about Holmes and the catch, well it took our QB to drive 90 plus yards with penalties to get into that position. More importantly, place the ball perfectly.

I would not call Ben Underrated. I WOULD call Ben thee most DISRESPECTED player in the league.

MikeHaullace
01-08-2011, 12:00 PM
How is it possible this thread is 6 pages deep with no mention of John L Williams or Chad Brown?

finesward
01-08-2011, 12:10 PM
sean morey?

sarahpalinhater
01-08-2011, 12:12 PM
How is it possible this thread is 6 pages deep with no mention of John L Williams or Chad Brown?

Williams ? Why ? He was a great FB, but he only played 2 seasons for us. Was injured alot. And scored 4 total TD's...Underrated ?.....He was a non factor. As for Chad. Good LB. Wasn't around long, and was never considered Underrated, at least by me. I can't say if anyone has mentioned him yet but, if you wanna call Chad Brown Underrated,,,what about Jason Gildon ?

Talk about a OLB that alot of steeler fans seem to forget, it's him.

thumper
01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
carnell lake

Lake was awesome, but underrated? I thought he got a
good deal of recognition. He was truly a great players.
He, Woodson, Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Brown....that
was a hell of a group.

thumper
01-08-2011, 01:11 PM
If anything, Bruener was __over__rated. They always would bring him
up as the "best blocking TE in the league" - a notion obviously fed
to them by the coaching staff before the broadcast, as they would
even mention that Cowher was the one telling them that. Bruener
was OK, but he was so so as a receiver. I would take Heath Miller
100 x over MB any day. As a matter of fact, I thought MB was more of
a liability as a starter than he was a contributor. OK, so he help Bettis
get up after every run. Big deal. I could do that job.

My "modern era" underrated list. (I think including players who didn't play in modern
era is worthless.)

Not in order of ranking.

Eric Pegram - Pee Wee, who we picked up from Atlanta, was small and played
during our mid-90s Super Bowl run. He was a very good 3rd down back and had
a knack for picking up first downs. He may not have been able to handle 30 touches
a game, but he could have handled more every down duty then he was given.

Greg Lloyd - This may seem similar to including Lake on this list, who I said got
too much recognition to be included. But I don't think Lloyd gets enough cred. This
were very good Steeler teams, only missing a ring or two from having inferior
QBs and overly conservative and simplified play calling in the post season. And
as good as those teams were, with amazing defenses, Lloyd was a cornerstone
of those teams. And the reason I say he belongs on the underrated list is because
whenever great players are spoken of - from the 70s to the present - he is usually
not even mentioned. Had he played on the 70s teams, HE would be considered
the best LB, not Lambert or Ham. Lloyd was the most intimidating defender of
his era. He was wicked fast around the corner and hit hard. Greg Lloyd is among
the most underrated ever, even though in his day he was recognized, he barely
is ever mentioned when discussion of the best Steelers is ongoing.

Bryan Hinkle. He wasn't among the best ever at his position but he was damn
good, but played on mostly bad teams - at least in terms of Pgh teams in the modern
era, any how. Most of you probably never heard of him - which is why he is on my list.

http://images.fansmerchandise.com/BRYH82HWP_zoom.jpg

Barry Foster. Had some gloss in his day, but never since. He had a short
career as he inexplicably just quit, like 3 times in a row (once in Pgh, once
in Cinci and once in SF. He said he just didn't want to work out like he needed
to, it was too hard.) This is a player Chuck Noll called "The toughest player I
have ever seen" and yet he chose to not let him play. Cowher came in, and
said, "Lookie what I got here" and ran the wheels off him. But Banana Barry
was a VERY good back. He nearly had the most yards in a season at one
point, losing it out to, if memory serves, to some guy named Emmitt or Sanders.

Earl Holmes - Easy to forget with so many great LBs but he was good.

Hardy Nickerson.

Mike Merriweather. Ended up holding out at a time when few did and he went
off to MN, detracting from his Steeler legacy, but he was among the best ever LBs in Pgh.

Dwayne Woodruff. Happened to play during Pgh's down years of modern era, pretty much.

Louie Lipps. Had he been on good teams, he would have been a household name.

Frankie Pollard. Good back on bad teams.

http://cnt.toppsmillion.com/img/cards/1984-169-FB-TPS-NA_F_285x412.jpg

Eric Green. I'm not crazy to put him here because, from what I have heard, he held a party
the night before the AFCC loss to San Diego. He was kind of a lazy guy but he had tons
of talent. Had he been motivated he might have gone down as one of the best TEs in
the history of the game. He had that much talent.

http://www.jollybengali.net/theconfluence/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/eric_green.jpg

I could go all day.

plenewken
01-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd say O'Donnell.
He took a lot of sh*t for a bad performance in the 1995 SB but people ignore that,
1) he played extremely well the whole season leading to the SB
2) he wasn't the only one on the field and pretty much the whole team sucked that day
3) the Cowboys were by far the strongest team back then, having won 3 Superbowls in 4 years.

thumper
01-08-2011, 01:29 PM
2) he wasn't the only one on the field and pretty much the whole team sucked that day

Say WHAT? I believe that was the only Super Bowl where the
team with more rushing yards, offense and stingier defense LOST
the game. Not only did the entire team "not suck" that day, but
every where else in that game, Pgh had the better day. I agree, though,
Dallas was the more talented team. They were loaded. But they were
also coached by a bozo that year, which gave us a chance, had NOD
not shit the bed.

plenewken
01-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Say WHAT? I believe that was the only Super Bowl where the
team with more rushing yards, offense and stingier defense LOST
the game. Not only did the entire team "not suck" that day, but
every where else in that game, Pgh had the better day. I agree, though,
Dallas was the more talented team. They were loaded. But they were
also coached by a bozo that year, which gave us a chance, had NOD
not shit the bed.

Twice, the receivers ran the wrong route and O'Donnell got nailed for it. We got better rushing numbers than the Cowboys but had we run the ball more, we would have won this one too.
Bam Morris ran 19 times, O'Donnell threw 49 times!