PDA

View Full Version : What do you want with Dixon?

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Because I like Dixon, I would really like to see the Steelers get rid of him so he can have the opportunity to develop elsewhere. There are many teams that need a new QB.

He is too young to spend his career aging behind Ben. We need someone who realizes that he is limited and is satisfied to just be a back up (like Lefty).

So what do you want to happen to Dixon?

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
As an example, Buffalo, SF, or Arizona might benefit from Dixon. Some how I see him as a good fit for Buffalo.

stb_steeler
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Trade him....If he has an achiles injury who knows when that could come up again.

lionslicer
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Trade him....If he has an achiles injury who knows when that could come up again.

Troy has an achiles injury...

stb_steeler
01-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Troy has an achiles injury...

Trade him also.......lol (kidding) but anyhow he still plays!

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I just think Dixon is just being wasted. He should have at least done some arena league or something to get his skills up. Sitting on the Steelers bench won't do the trick. I'd like to see him get a shot in Buffalo or SF.

I wish we could get a second or 3rd round pick for him but not likely. Buffalo is the perfect fit and their third is like a late second. They could get him and not have to waste one of the first 2 picks on QB.

LVSteelersfan
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
People are crazy if they think Leftwitch and Batch are valid backup QBs for this team. Almost all good teams have a good backup QB rotting on the bench in case the starter gets hurt. If you don't then you are not prepared and might as well write off a season if the starter gets hurt. If you want to let Dixon go who do you honestly think should be a backup to Ben on this team? Leftwitch is a joke. Batch is done. How long did Aaron Rodgers sit behind Favre? Steve Young? Etc. The way to learn the game is be on a good team like the Steelers and watch from the bench, not go to some scrub team where they will get killed.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
I see Dixon as being the next Rob Johnson. Has a couple above average games with the Steelers, somebody thinks he's a superstar, and he gets a contract he'll never live up to.

stb_steeler
01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Maybe he's just not worth a deal right now being that he sat to long. Good point tho, he may end up goin backwards .

wnyBob
01-07-2011, 06:38 PM
He was drafted for and as a good athelete. 1) of course he has to stay healthy. But 2) besides a capable back up for Ben if Charlie's time has come, see "good athelete. IF there was an OC that could/would utilize his talents a la Randal El and Slash there could be added dimensions to the offense. There was a lot of speculation when he was drafted that he could fill a unconventional play roll. But emphasis on "If there was an OC . . . . . ." lol

LVSteelersfan
01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
He was drafted for and as a good athelete. 1) of course he has to stay healthy. But 2) besides a capable back up for Ben if Charlie's time has come, see "good athelete. IF there was an OC that could/would utilize his talents a la Randal El and Slash there could be added dimensions to the offense. There was a lot of speculation when he was drafted that he could fill a unconventional play roll. But emphasis on "If there was an OC . . . . . ." lol

We have no OC. Calling Airhead an OC is an insult to OCs everywhere. Dixon should be used like that guy in New York whose name escapes me at the moment. We could just get rid of Randle el and use Dixon in that role because he can obviously throw the ball.

underoath445
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
We have no OC. Calling Airhead an OC is an insult to OCs everywhere. Dixon should be used like that guy in New York whose name escapes me at the moment. We could just get rid of Randle el and use Dixon in that role because he can obviously throw the ball.

Brad Smith?

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
IDK He's too young to waste his life without even testing his potential. If Ben had only 3 years left, I'd even be willing to say let him sit for 3 years and learn for a total of 6 years but he needs to go.

Aaron Rogers only sat for about 3 years. This will be Dixon's 4th year coming. He turns 26 on Tuesday. His time is now...prime...before he gets to 31. He needs to take advantage of 26-31.

If they can find some other role, fine...We don't need him though. Let him fly.

Rick5895
01-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I think we could get a 3rd or 4th for Dixon. I think he has tremendous upside, however will never play here. Lefty understands he will be a back up for his career and I think will be a good one. Dixon has value, especially to a team that struggles at QB. Titans, Skins and 49ers all come to mind. if we can get a 3rd for him we should jump on it.

mcg24
01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I would like to see him used in our offense every once in a while, similar to how the Eagles used Vick last year. By doing that, we could slowly build his confidence and reputation around the league and perhaps sell him off for more than he's worth.

Right now it seems as if the Steelers don't want anyone to know his potential so we can keep him as a backup. I really don't care how long he sits behind Roethlisberger, I'm comfortable with him as our backup and that's all that really matters to me as a Steelers fan.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Right now it seems as if the Steelers don't want anyone to know his potential so we can keep him as a backup.

We saw his "potential" weeks 1 - 2. He was terrible. Our best bet is to try and trade him away to some piss-poor team that is desperate for a new QB and is willing to pay big bucks or high draft picks for a relatively unknown player (Al Davis should be looking for a Jason Campbell clone/replacement by then).

He doesn't fit our offensive scheme, his abilities as a pure pocket passser are not up to par, and so far, he has yet to demonstrate the ability to read a zone defense. We are fine with Lefty and Batch (Charlie will need to be replaced VERY SOON though) as backups to Ben.

Just my $0.02.....

MasterOfPuppets
01-07-2011, 11:47 PM
you people are out of your damn minds if you think someone would offer up a 3rd , or even a 4th for dixon. what the hell did he do in those 2 games to make some GM think , "oh we gotta have him" ....lol
arians is simply too stupid to take advantage of dixon's strengths . a smart coordinator would have sat down with dixon in the preseason , got out some of dixon's oregon game film , and found the plays he was most comfortable with , and put them in the playbook.
with that said , i'd like to see them bring in Bruce Gradkowski , to compete for a roster spot .

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 12:21 AM
The Poll says 6 6 6 for the votes...

I don't see this ending well for Dixon

SteelKnight
01-08-2011, 12:53 PM
The number of people who would like to see him elsewhere is growing.

I just don't see anything good for him by sitting behind Ben and if I thought we needed him I would rather sacrifice his career for the Steelers (call me selfish...lol) but I can see we don't need him. We haven't missed a beat with him on IR...so we should let him go.

...what a waste. I hope he is at least studying film all this time.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I like him but if we ever get another chance to start him if Ben gets injured (or worse) I would hope he gets his trade stock up because I hate to see him ride the pine his entire career but at the same time I would also hate to just let him hit the open market ithout getting anything in return...I wish he didnt get injured earlier because him starting all 4 games to start this season could have worked out well in the long run for both him and the Steelers, had he played well enough we could have gotten like a 4th or maybe even a 3rd round pick for him...

thumper
01-08-2011, 01:15 PM

Trade him? For what? A bucket of warm piss? He has no trade
value to speak of. Maybe a 6th rounder at best.

thumper
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
you people are out of your damn minds if you think someone would offer up a 3rd , or even a 4th for dixon. what the hell did he do in those 2 games to make some GM think , "oh we gotta have him" ....lol

:thumbsup:

sharkweek
01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I like him but he's been too fragile, and we also don't utilize him to play to his strengths.

I just don't understand it, so many of these "athletic" QBs are being forced to try and play the stereotypical pocket passer or even a scrambling passer, when, if anything, they should be encouraged to run more.

A QB that can burn a defense with his legs can use that threat to open up his passing options, just like a team that had a good running game can exploit passing on typical running situations or even use play action pass. However a QB that can run adds yet another variable threat the defense has to account for.

Also, while I definitely believe in a starting QB who should be able to play every down, I don't necessarily believe they are the best option for every down and thus believe there are situations where plugging in an athletic QB or a set of downs or an entire offensive possession could be very beneficial in mixing things up. Dixon utilized strictly as a backup QB is a dreadful waste IMO.

DanRooney
01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
lol "trade him." Dixon was probably one of the worst quarterbacks to ever start a game. It was laughable watching him in the first two games. If we try a trade, we'll probably get a ham sandwich with a side order of pickles at best.

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 02:42 PM
lol "trade him." Dixon was probably one of the worst quarterbacks to ever start a game. It was laughable watching him in the first two games. If we try a trade, we'll probably get a ham sandwich with a side order of pickles at best.

:doh: He's Tom Brady compared to some of the quarterbacks in this league. Jamarcus Russel to name one...

He can run, he has a good arm, his accuracy isn't bad, he just needs a lot of help in how to run an offense, but ther are teams who have idiot GM's who'd trade for him.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-08-2011, 03:28 PM

^^^^This.

Also:

I like him but he's been too fragile, and we also don't utilize him to play to his strengths.

I just don't understand it, so many of these "athletic" QBs are being forced to try and play the stereotypical pocket passer or even a scrambling passer, when, if anything, they should be encouraged to run more.

A QB that can burn a defense with his legs can use that threat to open up his passing options, just like a team that had a good running game can exploit passing on typical running situations or even use play action pass. However a QB that can run adds yet another variable threat the defense has to account for.

We DID try running him, and he got his achilles hurt on the second or third carry.....he has no redeeming value to this franchise at this time. He is not a good pocket passer, he is not able to read a zone defense, and he is too fragile to be "using his strengths" andrunning the ball every other down like some foks want.