PDA

View Full Version : So here's a question

Cinnjerm
01-08-2011, 04:05 AM
I know there's a lot of talk about how there's no way the Steelers can beat New England, but I can't help but feel like there's one glaring fact that people seem to be overlooking. NEW ENGLAND'S DEFENSE BLOWS. I wasn't really all that sure how bad it was until I looked it up, but in total defense they clocked in at an astounding 25th place to end the season. To put this in perspective, this is behind the Bungles, Carolina, the Clowns, the lowly Bills, and the Raiders (you know, all the teams we made our b&$*# after losing to NE). I guess what I can't help but think is if we can rack-up 40 plus points against the Browns D (22# Total D) why not the Pats (25#).

Wallace108
01-08-2011, 04:19 AM
If we have to score 40 or more points to win, we're in trouble. I think we learned our lessons from that first game. As painful as it was, it was probably a good thing. I suspect we'll see a much different Steelers D if we face the Pats* in the championship game. So I don't think our offense will need to put up a ton of points. Although it wouldn't hurt and I think they can do it. :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2011, 04:30 AM
the patty's have been thriving this year off of mistakes by the other team +28 in the turnovers. usually the team that wins the turnover battle , wins the game.
but anywho, you can't put much stock in the stats , the chargers were # 1 in offense and defense ... where did that get em ?

grward
01-08-2011, 07:43 AM
I think the final stats are somewhat misleading in the sense that the Cheats' D started out bad and improved a great deal by the end of the season. They are peaking right now on D. They always peak on the offense and I think the D is catching up with them. To score 40+ at the beginning of the season is one thing, I don't think anyone will score 40+ on them in the playoffs.

This is going to be one huge test for LeBeau and all his brilliance as Defensive Coordinator. It will solidify him as the best DC ever if he can come up with a solution for Brady. I guess we just have to wait and see ... AND GET TO THAT GAME. Can't overlook the fact that we have to win FIRST if we want a trip to Foxborough.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-08-2011, 08:04 AM
I know we all want to go up there and beat the pats. But we still have to win a game first. I think we should worry about that game first. And then when we win then we start talking about the pats

btaylor179
01-08-2011, 08:18 AM
everyone keeps putting us in championship game......we still have to win our first game to get there!!!!!

Cinnjerm
01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
everyone keeps putting us in championship game......we still have to win our first game to get there!!!!!

Not to seem presumptuous or anything, but when's the last time the Steelers went to the postseason and missed the Championship game? Yeah, I know...2007, but that's like once in the last, what, 12 years?

mesaSteeler
01-08-2011, 03:02 PM

THIS^

One game at a time or we will never get there. For that matter the Cheats may not get there either.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I think we win (assuming we both make it to the AFCC) if

a. Mendy gets over 90-95% of the offensive snaps...momentum is more important in a game against NE than against any other opponent and swapping in Moore, Redman, or Dwyer is just going to kill any running game momentum and prevent Mendy from getting a rhythm. Mendy is a complete back and can more than handle the workload and all the duties that come with it, we just need to let him find his rhythm instead of constantly taking him out for entire drives at a time.

b. Ben is given control of the offense. It may come with more passing than usual but when Ben runs the no huddle the offense just clicks and could IMO easily keep up with Brady. Arians is offensive cancer.

c. The Defense gets pressure, obviously. We barely got any pressure in the first game and Brady had all day to pick apart our secondary.

d. LeBeau plays the corners FAR closer to the line...in the first game they were always 10-15 yars off their receivers at the snap, that cushion is EXACTLY what you cannot give to the PATRIOTS of all teams, their offense is literally built to pick apart that defensive scheme. Let the corners play more man coverage, it may come with the added risk of giving up the big passing play more often but really their receivers are all sub-6' and they don't really have a deep threat, that's a risk I'm willing to take. I think Lebeau learned all this though and I trust him to adjust the defense accordingly.

austinfrench76
01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Go ahead and write it down, the Steelers can and will beat the Patriots, SOUNDLY (if they paly)! I know they beat us up earlier in the year but we learned a valuable lesson in thta game and we were served up some humble pie. The lesson: Blitz Brady! James Farrior talked about it a couple of weeks later and we did that against Baltimore and have dialed up more blitzes since that game. I really think our tougher challenge will be the Colts. Better QB and that's where we struggle.

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Patriots just have the Steelers number. The only way to win is to stop Brady. That defense feeds off him, and if he's having a great game, they will too.

harrison'samonster
01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I know there's a lot of talk about how there's no way the Steelers can beat New England, but I can't help but feel like there's one glaring fact that people seem to be overlooking. NEW ENGLAND'S DEFENSE BLOWS. I wasn't really all that sure how bad it was until I looked it up, but in total defense they clocked in at an astounding 25th place to end the season. To put this in perspective, this is behind the Bungles, Carolina, the Clowns, the lowly Bills, and the Raiders (you know, all the teams we made our b&$*# after losing to NE). I guess what I can't help but think is if we can rack-up 40 plus points against the Browns D (22# Total D) why not the Pats (25#).

I think you have to figure in the opposing team's offense. Against a good offense, who can control the ball and the clock, you don't get as many chances to score.

Against the Browns, who can't control the clock, we get more of a chance to put up big points. But that's only one thing to consider.