PDA

View Full Version : If James Harrison retired today

cloppbeast
01-08-2011, 02:15 PM
would he make the hall of fame?

If no, what more would it take?

I say 1 or 2 more 10-sack seasons get him in automatically.

But, He is 32 or 33, not sure how many seasons he has left.

thumper
01-08-2011, 02:22 PM
would he make the hall of fame?

If no, what more would it take?

I say 1 or 2 more 10-sack seasons get him in automatically.

But, He is 32 or 33, not sure how many seasons he has left.

Because he got such a late start, it's unlikely he will ever make the HOF,
unless he has 2 more Super Bowls as he did in 2008. One of the things
that is almost a must to make the Hall os longevity. In my opinion, his current
play, in his prime is better than virtually any LB not named LT, but he will
only have a few seasons of awesome play to show for it, and it won't be
enough. If you don't have 6+ probowls, it's very hard to make it.

austinfrench76
01-08-2011, 03:40 PM
No, he needs a couple of more dominant years.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I highly doubt it. Everything prior to 2008 is going to piss away his odds of getting into the HOF. Unless he just stays lights out for the rest of his career and even then its a slim chance.

SH-Rock
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes he has a chance, but I think it'll take some time before he will be inducted. He can get 6 pro bowls if he continues like this.

TRH
01-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Yea, he's not even close to HOF material, he'd have to go a LONG time in addition to now......plus he's definitely not a media + sports writer darling and would probably never get the votes

harrison'samonster
01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I would have to say no. This is only an opinion, but I think the NFL when it comes to the hall of fame is very stat driven. I guess they want to make sure each player who gets in puts together a long and successful career instead of players who dominate in a 5 year stretch.
I don't usually follow much of the voting or even the ceremonies though, so I'll be the first to admit I'm talking out of my a#$. It's just the basic feeling I get from the little discussion I do follow on the topic.

However, Harrison is in fact a monster, and very much better than Ray Lewis. Maybe not the media's version of Ray Lewis, who could catch bullets in his mouth, or beat a grizzly bear at arm wrestling, or...etc,etc.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-08-2011, 09:18 PM
He's only had 4 years as a starter. As ridiculous as he's played in that small amount of time, I'm thinking he needs another 4 seasons at his current pace.

steelerchad
01-08-2011, 09:27 PM
He has virtually no shot of ever making the Hall or Fame. Unless he can continue to play at this level until he's 37 or 38. LB's just don't do that.

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 09:27 PM
He's only been a starter like 4 years. The way he's slowing down, I don't think he'll be dominant enough for the remainder of his career to be HOFer. He'll be remembered for a long time after he leaves though.

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 09:29 PM
He has virtually no shot of ever making the Hall or Fame. Unless he can continue to play at this level until he's 37 or 38. LB's just don't do that.

There have been some. Harrison didn't really play football in his early 20's, so he isn't as broken down as most linebackers in their 30's.

steelerchad
01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
There have been some. Harrison didn't really play football in his early 20's, so he isn't as broken down as most linebackers in their 30's.

Who? And at his current level without losing a step? Hell, he won't even be a Steeler in 2 years and this will be a mute point.

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Who? And at his current level without losing a step? Hell, he won't even be a Steeler in 2 years and this will be a mute point.

Sam Mills played till he was 36 or 37 and was still good. I'm sure there have been way more, but Harrison is planning to retire in general within the next 3 years, he set up his contract that way.

SH-Rock
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Harrison could be the most underrated player because of his skill level and not reaching the HOF

TOOLofSTEEL
01-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I would have to say no. This is only an opinion, but I think the NFL when it comes to the hall of fame is very stat driven. I guess they want to make sure each player who gets in puts together a long and successful career instead of players who dominate in a 5 year stretch.
I don't usually follow much of the voting or even the ceremonies though, so I'll be the first to admit I'm talking out of my a#$. It's just the basic feeling I get from the little discussion I do follow on the topic.

However, Harrison is in fact a monster, and very much better than Ray Lewis. Maybe not the media's version of Ray Lewis, who could catch bullets in his mouth, or beat a grizzly bear at arm wrestling, or...etc,etc.

Lewis has been good through out his career, love him or hate him. As good as Harrison has become I don't think he is on Ray's tier, just because he hasn't done it as long.

Obviously when your talking with rival ball clubs on forums you get a heavy dose of homers. And rightfully so, but putting aside the team he plays for and any lingering suspicions about the murder trial. Ray's been better overall compared to James.

harrison'samonster
01-08-2011, 10:16 PM
If we're talking about putting together a career, I've got to agree with you about Lewis being at the head of the list of current players headed to the hall of fame. Yeah, hate him or not (which I don't, I actually really like his intensity), Lewis has put together a great career.

It'd be hard for somebody to convince me that Lewis is better though. especially since Harrison plays outside while Lewis plays in the middle, and they are used differently. One thing to consider though is that Harrison made, arguably, the best defensive play in all super-bowl history.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-08-2011, 10:29 PM
If we're talking about putting together a career, I've got to agree with you about Lewis being at the head of the list of current players headed to the hall of fame. Yeah, hate him or not (which I don't, I actually really like his intensity), Lewis has put together a great career.

It'd be hard for somebody to convince me that Lewis is better though. especially since Harrison plays outside while Lewis plays in the middle, and they are used differently. One thing to consider though is that Harrison made, arguably, the best defensive play in all super-bowl history.

True, but if we are talking about Harrison getting into the Hall of Fame(which this thread is about) that requires him to do it throughout his career. Which Lewis has done. And Harrison only started to do in past few years. While Harrison is arguably the better of the two now-a-days. It still doesn't help him much as far as getting into Canton.

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 11:13 PM
People say Warner is a Hall of Famer, out of his 10 years in the NFL, he only had 5 good years. So if Harrison plays atleast 1-2 more very good years, he should be in the Hall of Fame if that logic is correct.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-08-2011, 11:24 PM
People say Warner is a Hall of Famer, out of his 10 years in the NFL, he only had 5 good years. So if Harrison plays atleast 1-2 more very good years, he should be in the Hall of Fame if that logic is correct.

QB vs a OLB though.

The fact Warner is a QB and has made it to the Superbowl a couple of times and won one of them is enough reason for this pass happy, offense driven league to put anybody in the Hall.

steeltheone
01-09-2011, 12:03 AM
QB vs a OLB though.

The fact Warner is a QB and has made it to the Superbowl a couple of times and won one of them is enough reason for this pass happy, offense driven league to put anybody in the Hall.

Warner is hands down a HOF'er Harrison will be remembered for his oustanding play but no HOF

cloppbeast
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Warner is hands down a HOF'er Harrison will be remembered for his oustanding play but no HOF

Warner also has some single-season records I believe, a league MVP, and a Super Bowl MVP.

Harrison is assigned a variety of roles in the Steelers defense. He is asked to cover as well as rush the passer which is his strength. Even though, in my estimation he rushes the passer on only about half the time he still manages 10-16 sacks a season. That's impressive.

I believe this hurts his numbers. He may get an interception or two, but he misses probably ten more sacks each year. All-around players I think have a disadvantage in getting in the HOF.

Based solely on the numbers, you can keep out an excellent all-around OLB because he only started a few seasons. It's harder to keep out one of the best pass-rushers of all time because he had a short career.