PDA

View Full Version : Question:

FanSince72
01-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Since Drew (now flapping in the...) Brees and Saint Peyton are out of the running, does that mean that when the talking heads start in with their "elite quarterback" bullshit, they'll finally start to include Ben in the conversation?

You know Ben, right?

He's the one that has as many Super Bowl rings as BOTH Brees and Manning have combined.

Yeah, that guy.

mesaSteeler
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Since Drew (now flapping in the...) Brees and Saint Peyton are out of the running, does that mean that when the talking heads start in with their "elite quarterback" bullshit, they'll finally start to include Ben in the conversation?

You know Ben, right?

He's the one that has as many Super Bowl rings as BOTH Brees and Manning have combined.

Yeah, that guy.

Actually some sites such as Cold Hard Football Facts already do consider him an elite QB.

zulater
01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Actually some sites such as Cold Hard Football Facts already do consider him an elite QB.

Sadly and inexplicably, some Steeler fans still don't. :noidea:

steeltheone
01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Both lost because of their Defenses... If we give up 30 plus to either of those teams we lose too.

harrison'samonster
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
now the talking heads will have more time to devote to Brady.

and also now Hasselback will enter back into the conversations. He has been to one superbowl before, and now he orchestrated one of the biggest upsets in playoff history.

Roethlisberger does get a lot of credit, but there are so many doubters outside of steeler nation, that I think he won't really get the recognition he deserves until the end of his career.

plenewken
01-09-2011, 12:14 PM

You know Ben, right?

Yeah, that guy.

Marino has no SB ring but I'd classify him as an elite QB before Ben and I think the majority of the public would do the same. Ben should be included in the conversation and I think he is. People just don't drool when they hear his name, that's different.

FanSince72
01-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Marino has no SB ring but I'd classify him as an elite QB before Ben and I think the majority of the public would do the same. Ben should be included in the conversation and I think he is. People just don't drool when they hear his name, that's different.

All I'm asking is that when the "elite" conversation comes up as it just did less than 24 hrs. ago and the ESPN crew trots out their "comparisons", they always use Manning, Brady and Brees for those comparisons.

The sad part is that only Brady really fills that "elite" title when it comes to hardware and in terms of that hardware, Ben is second to Brady and ahead of EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

So if guys like Kornheiser are going to compare Aaron Rodgers to "other elite quarterbacks" -- especially in the context of these playoffs, then Ben simply has to be in that conversation.

Nobody's asking anyone to drool over Ben, but it would be nice to acknowledge that he at least has a pulse or that he actually plays the game. I know he doesn't have the gaudy numbers, but he's got two rings and that should count for something.

plenewken
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
All I'm asking is that when the "elite" conversation comes up as it just did less than 24 hrs. ago and the ESPN crew trots out their "comparisons", they always use Manning, Brady and Brees for those comparisons.

The sad part is that only Brady really fills that "elite" title when it comes to hardware and in terms of that hardware, Ben is second to Brady and ahead of EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

So if guys like Kornheiser are going to compare Aaron Rodgers to "other elite quarterbacks" -- especially in the context of these playoffs, then Ben simply has to be in that conversation.

Nobody's asking anyone to drool over Ben, but it would be nice to acknowledge that he at least has a pulse or that he actually plays the game. I know he doesn't have the gaudy numbers, but he's got two rings and that should count for something.

Oh I misunderstood what you were saying. I wasn't thinking of talking heads in the context of this year's playoffs. Of course, Ben should be included and I think he is, but not as much as Brees, Manning and Brady.

Keep in mind that when experts talk about Indy or New Orleans, they mostly talk about Manning and Brees because there are clearly their leaders. I don't think Ben is viewed as the leader of the Steelers and frankly, I don't think he is. I'm talking about personality here. Other players (Ward, Polamalu, Harrison) have more "charisma" than Ben and they are more popular with the journalists.
Another reason is the Steelers can (and did) win more games without Ben than Indy or New Orleans without Manning and Brees.

Last but not least, Ben's popularity has taken a very big hit due to his off the field antics and TV commentators are also concerned about their audience (and rating) and what the ublic think of the players as individuals. They don't talk much about Vick either because he's widely unpopular nationwide due to his past. Have you seen TV commercials with Ben and Vick?

Brady is in a category on his own and he has the numbers to back it up.

As for Rodgers, that's a mystery to me because the guy hasn't won anything yet, and he has no charisma whatsoever.