PDA

View Full Version : Ko Simpson/LenDale White

Suitanim
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Since it's looking more and more like one of these two guys, here's some more in depth info on both.

First White.
Since we know a lot about him already, here's some of his own words.
http://patriots.scout.com/2/518212.html?refid=3652

“It was time, the Heisman wasn’t enough to keep me in college. I don’t need a Heisman or an All-American award. I can live out a dream; this is something I’ve dreamed about my whole life,” White said.

At 6’1, 238 pounds, White is a force to be reckoned with and is drawing pre-draft comparisons to NFL power backs such as Jerome Bettis (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=8&c=1&nid=1822246), Steven Davis and Duce Staley (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=8&c=1&nid=2476455).
White knows how to protect the football while running. And he never missed a college game, a testament to his durability considering his bruising running style. But don’t get caught calling him a power back.

“I don’t really see myself like that. I see myself as somebody who can move pretty good, like a Reggie type running back. They say I’m a bulldozer type running back, so I accept it. I just try to make people miss and do what I can to help my team win, that’s the main thing. I don’t know if I have one style. When it’s all said and done, I’m not running out of bounds, I’ll put my shoulder down and see what I can do from there,” he said.

In 2005, White averaged an unfathomable 6.6 yards per carry, scored an NCAA Division I best 26 touchdowns and 963 of his 1,302 yards after contact. Incredible numbers considering he split carries with Bush – literally, Bush had 200 carries while White had 197.

White is a projected first round pick in the 2006 NFL draft and could potentially be the second running back chosen behind Reggie Bush (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=8&c=1&nid=1997216). When it comes to the draft, White is ecstatic about the opportunity to play in the NFL regardless of where he’s drafted.
“I think the ideal situation is to go to a team that’s going to win. I would love to go top 15, but I’m honored to be in this situation. I’m blessed, I get to do something that a lot of people would love to do so I think wherever I go in the draft I will appreciate it,” White said.

LenDale White can’t wait to receive his first NFL paycheck, but not because he’s anxious to purchase luxurious cars or multi-million dollar houses. He relishes the opportunity to finally be able to assist his family, who could use his help.
“In my house there are stairs that my grandmother can’t walk up and down. I wish I could make a ramp or buy a house with no stairs. I want to get the proper equipment to help her get around. She’s on Medicaid and they don’t take care of everything and we can’t afford everything. It’s time to help my mother, buy her groceries and pay her bills. My sister was in a fire accident when I was nine years old and she almost lost her life. There’s more than $100,000 in hospital bills from that accident we still have to pay,” he said.

Being a rookie on an NFL team, White will likely have to continue to share the spotlight with his new teammates. However, he wouldn’t mind at least having the running back position to himself this time around.
“I think I’m capable of learning offenses real fast. If I’m given the opportunity to start right off the bat, I’ll do everything in my power to keep that position. If I have to split time I’ll do that too, I think I could learn in both situations. For me though, the ideal situation is to be a full time starter,” White said.

USC’s Pro Day was April 2, but White was very limited in his activity due to a sore hamstring. USC is planning a second Pro Day in mid-April at which time White should be able to participate in more drills.

Ko Simpson

2004 SEC Freshman of the Year by the Associated Press 2004 Freshman All-America by the Football Writers Assocation of America 2004 Freshman All-America by The Sporting News 2004 All-SEC Second Team by the Coaches and AP SEC Defensive Player of the Week for game vs. Arkansas in 2004 2005 SEC Preseason All-SEC First Team 2005 Preseason >> All-America and All-SEC candidate ... Missed the majority of spring practice with a hand injury ... Looks to build on a 2004 season in which he was recognized as the SEC's Defensive Freshman of the Year by the Associated Press and was a Freshman All-America selection by several publications.

2004 >> Burst upon the scene to have an outstanding rookie campaign ... Named SEC Freshman of the Year by the Associated Press ... Freshman All-America selection by the Football Writers Association of America and The Sporting News ... SEC All-Freshman selection ... Second team All-SEC by the AP and by the Coaches ... SEC Defensive Player of the Week following his performance in the victory over Arkansas (four tackles, one fumble recovery, one interception) ... Started all 11 games at free safety ...Tied for the SEC lead with six interceptions on the season, a total that ranked 3rd nationally ... Was solid in his varsity debut vs. Vanderbilt, with four tackles and two pass break ups ... Made a brilliant defensive play vs. Georgia, when he picked off a David Greene pass and took it to the house 57 yards for a touchdown ... Also broke up two passes and had five tackles in that game ... Had three tackles, an interception and a pass break up vs. South Florida ... Had a team-high eight tackles vs. Troy ... Made his third interception of the year against Alabama ... Also had six tackles in that victory ... Led the team with 10 stops vs. Ole Miss, including one tackle for loss ... Came up with his fourth interception of the year vs. Tennessee ... Against Arkansas, he scooped up a fumble and ran it back 57 yards for a touchdown, a play that proved to swing momentum in the Game****s' favor ... His 5th interception of the season helped seal the win over the Razorbacks, as he picked off a pass from Matt Jones at the two-yard line with 45 seconds remaining ... Came up with his sixth interception of the season vs. Florida ... His six interceptions were the most by a Game****s in one season since 1997, when safety Arturo Freeman (now with the Miami Dolphins) also had six picks.

Position: FS Number: 10
School: South Carolina Height: 6'1

* He is a player in the defensive backfield at the safety position with serious upside
* He is a player that has stepped up his level of play since last year, in that he has gained more weight and strength, and become more of a physical presence on the field of play
* His game is predicated on his physical play he brings to the defense, when he arrives to a ball carrier he brings a blow, he also seems to always be active and around the ball
* He has good size and looks to be a better than average athlete, who also has the speed and agility you look for in a top flight corner, and has the talent and skills sets to be a excellent coverage corner
* This is a player I look to evaluate further in the near future
* Update (01-09-06) South Carolina safety Ko Simpson arguably one of the best safeties in college football the past couple of seasons, said Monday they will enter the NFL draft, giving up their remaining two years of eligibility. Simpson, a sophomore named to the third-team AP All-America list last month, led South Carolina with 103 tackles this season and had one interception. He said he started thinking midseason about turning pro. "This only comes once in a lifetime," Simpson said. "I think, basically, in two years I did probably what all I could do at USC. ... I just followed my heart and thought it was best." Simpson had six interceptions his first season, which tied for third in the nation, and was named Southeastern Conference freshman of the year. He signed a letter of intent with South Carolina in 2003 but didn't enroll until the following year. While technically only a sophmore Simpson is draft eligible because he sat out a year after graduating from high school before enrolling at South Carolina.

tony hipchest
04-19-2006, 05:20 PM
heres what c. judge at sportsline says (hes not in his top 5 of safeties)

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/DEF/S
Player on the decline:
Ko Simpson, South Carolina. The guy is young, and he demonstrated it in his interviews at the February combine. Simpson still could be a first round prospect, but the odds fell after his lackadaisical approach to the combine. Plus, he seems to have trouble turning and running. "He's built like a corner," said one scout, "but plays like a box safety."

usa today has him ranked at #60 (best player available) overall.

i think the steelers may be looking at him as a 2nd rounder. funny lendale mentionned being drafted in the top 15 (denvers pick) and what you said about cleveland talking about defense the whole time makes me wonder if theres a smokescreen there.

MasterOfPuppets
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
i'm thinkin denver goes WR. if for no other reason,it doesn't seem to matter who is in thier backfield,they get 1000 yds.

Suitanim
04-19-2006, 05:56 PM
heres what c. judge at sportsline says (hes not in his top 5 of safeties)

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/DEF/S
Player on the decline:
Ko Simpson, South Carolina. The guy is young, and he demonstrated it in his interviews at the February combine. Simpson still could be a first round prospect, but the odds fell after his lackadaisical approach to the combine. Plus, he seems to have trouble turning and running. "He's built like a corner," said one scout, "but plays like a box safety."

usa today has him ranked at #60 (best player available) overall.

i think the steelers may be looking at him as a 2nd rounder. funny lendale mentionned being drafted in the top 15 (denvers pick) and what you said about cleveland talking about defense the whole time makes me wonder if theres a smokescreen there.

Judge is smoking crack.

tony hipchest
04-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Judge is smoking crack. the crackpipe is always being passed around sportsline. im wondering what went on during the combines. it is starting to seem like. r. clark is just a stop gap measure. but when i hear "steelers drafting a safety" and t. polamalu becoming a f.a. in the same sentence i just cringe. steelers will not be (or better not be) drafting for polamalus replacement. it does give them some leverage, but thats a game they better to not play with troy.

Suitanim
04-19-2006, 08:15 PM
IF they are drafting for Troy's replacement, it'll be Bing, and not Simpson.

dbish33
04-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Hopefully, replacing Troy is not even remotely a possibility......I cant imagine that it is and I dont buy this drafting a safety smokescreen......

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 07:57 AM
I cant imagine that it is and I dont buy this drafting a safety smokescreen......

What smokescreen? FS is still a concern, if for no other reason than depth.

KO Simpson is a very real #32 option for the Steelers.