PDA

View Full Version : Who first said this?

huntingteacher
01-09-2011, 04:12 PM
The road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh! I think Bum Phillips was first to say this, but was there someone first who first said it about the Steelers, or any other sports team? You hear it allot now, but I've wondered if there is anyone older on this site that remember that saying before it became common to say about the Steelers. I'm going back to late '70's when I first heard it, but I was only 12 yrs old.

wnyBob
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
The road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh! I think Bum Phillips was first to say this, but was there someone first who first said it about the Steelers, or any other sports team? You hear it allot now, but I've wondered if there is anyone older on this site that remember that saying before it became common to say about the Steelers. I'm going back to late '70's when I first heard it, but I was only 12 yrs old.

I'll go back to the 70s and older than 12 lol. Just out of the service and getting to decide how I wanted to spend my Sundays rather than someone deciding for me. lol And I'll go with Bum originating it. As coach of Houston and in the same division as the Steelers, it wasn't ment as much about you have to go to a playoff game in Pittsburgh as you had to win the division and to win the division you had to beat Pittsburgh, hence the road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh for the Oilers. Similar to Baltimore now but Harbaugh doesn't easily admit he wished he was in another division. lol :tt02: