PDA

View Full Version : Antwaan Randall-EL needs to step it up.

wutchy
01-09-2011, 09:39 PM
The steelers face a stiff test against the Ravens, then if they win, another stiff test, probably against the Pattriots.

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, THE RAVENS WERE RUNNING THEIR STEELER GAME PLAN AGAINST THE CHIEFS.

When the Ravens come in here, they will try to exploit Troy Polamalu by throwing to their TE Todd Heap, any and everytime Troy plays up and looks like he is going to blitz. Todd Heap is going to make or break the Ravens next week.
SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!!!

As for the Steelers, they need ARE to step it up some. Somehow, he needs to use his gifts to make a play or two or three.
Of course, Ravens fans are saying that about Houshmanzada.

Neither team has a big advantage. Ray Rice and Rashad Mendenhall will probably put up similar nunbers. McGahee and Moore are equal. Both defenses are strong. QB's are identical numbers wise.

Recievers are pretty close with Housh, Mason, Boldin. Vs Hines, Logan, and Emmanuel.

Heap and Heath are pretty equal.

We need a playmaker to step up and make a play or two or three.

It would be nice to see Randall-El do somethin crazy against the Ravens that could win the game.

EL or Mason could be the guys that decide the outcome of this game.

PhantomJB93
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
No, they need Wallace, Sanders, and Brown to step up. Randl El shouldn't even see playing time unless somebody gets hurt or we use a 5 receiver set.

Has anybody ever though about using Hines on a Randle-El esque play? I think the Ravens will be prepared for it if we use the El trick play we used twice this season but I'm not sure they'd be expecting Hines to throw it and Hines used to be a QB as well and could have the arm necessary to execute such a play...

lotas
01-09-2011, 09:53 PM
If my (poor) memory serves me right, I believe Hines used to partake in those plays before ARE was around, as in he was the one who would throw the pass.

But I agree, I've enjoyed seeing Brown and Sanders come into a larger role as of late, and seeing Ben gain more and more confidence in them.

Next Saturday is the perfect opportunity for one of those guys to make some big plays and really come out of their shell's a bit.

I'm already more impressed with Sanders/Brown then I ever was with Sweed.

Fire Arians
01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
actually, randle el needs to sit on the bench

brown and sanders need to step up. i like brown's performance last week. i would like sanders to show more

Merchant
01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
soo... you think ARE is the key to beating the ravens :uhh:

tony hipchest
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
thread = trainwreck.

:popcorn:

cubanstogie
01-09-2011, 10:19 PM
thread = trainwreck.

:popcorn:

so you don't think the Ravens will try to "exploit" the best defensive player in the league. Thats what lost me.lol

MikeHaullace
01-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Step it up and what? Call a fair-catch sooner when fielding punts inside the 20?

If anything, he needs to step up and ensure that the young guns that have surpassed him in on the depth chart stay focused.

Buddha Bus
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Yeah! El better start doing a better job of warming the seats on the bench for the guys who actually get to play. It's gonna be cold outside next weekend and if we lose, I'm blaming it on cold starter asses! :sofunny:

davidtrout
01-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Antwaan will always carry a special affection from Steeler fans due to his play in SBXL and some quality play earlier in his career. If we're counting on him to win this game on Saturday, we're in deep shit.

SacknificentStew56
01-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Everyone needs to step up not just ARE. Forget that trick play where he slipped and almost busted his arse. Brown, Sanders, and Mike Haul-@$$ are all speedsters and those guys need receiver screens, deep routes, and quick slants thrown their way to get a quick release from Ben when the Ratbirds wanna blitz.

btaylor179
01-10-2011, 05:41 AM
randle el sucks, always has always will.....

TRH
01-10-2011, 07:58 AM
everyone needs to step it up.....

AndyWitmyer
01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
I know what the author of the thread was going for when he wrote this, and I think it's being taken a little out of context. He's saying that on almost every level and area of play, the Steelers and Ravens appear to be evenly matched, with lots of tough, consistent, and hard-working players. In a game where two teams are equally good at canceling out one another's strengths, the author is merely suggesting that in addition to the usual suspects (Wallace, Ward, Mendy, Ben, etc) it may come down to the work of those few lesser known and/or "underachieving" players. You know, the ones who might ordinarily be lost in shuffle?

They need to step it up - we know what to expect from the others - what I'd like to see is seeing the unexpected, from players like El who can't seem to get a compliment one way or the other. I would personally love to see a couple of very strategically placed gadget plays with ARE taking the hand off and getting it in the red zone on the sort of play that will make you almost swear for a moment that Bruce Arians might be a genius after all (those sentiments tend to be short lived!)

Anyway, I think this is what the author was trying to say. For his sake, I've at least attempted to save the thread on his behalf haha.

finesward
01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Did anyone watch the chiefs game? They tried a couple tricky plays and the result was cassel abandoning the play and scrambling for 3 yards. I doubt a team like the ravens is gonna bite so hard to leave their assignments. They play disciplined D just like we do. I doubt mendy is gonna be tearing it up in chunks where they start pulling safeties or other DB's in run support. The best tool we have right now is the deep threat in wallace. That will take reed out of his game, but they have heath that will take polamalu out of his. This is such a tight matchup. That's what the OP was trying to get at. It will be an unsung hero that makes a play or special teamer that causes a fumble (cmon sylvester!) It's going to be a close game. I'm nervous as hell and I'm sure the feeling is mutual to those ******s wearing purple

plenewken
01-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I believe that once again, it'll come down to the same old basic stuff.
Whoever wins the turnover battle will win the game and if we're even in turnovers, whoever gets better field position will win the game. With the weather conditions we'll get next weekend, the battle will be on the ground, not in the air. I don't think we'll see many 30 yds passes and 50yds FGs.

finesward
01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
As nervous as it makes me, i believe it could be the special teams that kill us. We know suisham has been solid in the reg season, but playoffs don't seem to take kindly to him. plus the ravens have one of the best punters in the league. he put one on the one yard line yesterday that landed inches from the goal line. field position is going to be huge, limiting turnovers deep in our own territory will be even bigger. everyone is gonna have to be on their game.

TRH
01-10-2011, 09:59 AM
As nervous as it makes me, i believe it could be the special teams that kill us. We know suisham has been solid in the reg season, but playoffs don't seem to take kindly to him. plus the ravens have one of the best punters in the league. he put one on the one yard line yesterday that landed inches from the goal line. field position is going to be huge, limiting turnovers deep in our own territory will be even bigger. everyone is gonna have to be on their game.

i absolutely agree with this.
Its going to be critically important that we don't allow long kick-off returns. Its also going to be equally critical that we pin them deep on punts and they don't pin us deep on punts.
Whoever wins this execution will probably win the game.

plenewken
01-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Its going to be critically important that we don't allow long kick-off returns. Its also going to be equally critical that we pin them deep on punts and they don't pin us deep on punts.

Like I wrote earlier, turnovers will be #1, field position will be #2. The weather is gonna be coooold and windy, so forget about a passing fest.

finesward
01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't think they will shy from passing the ball. Not when we have shutdown the run against pretty much every team (including the ravens twice). No I think there will be lots of those timing patterns, quick slants, and short TE routes that use the middle of the field. Conversely I think even with the cold we can still take some shots down the field. If the line can hold up and pick up blitzes allowing guys to break coverage, wally could take a short hot read to the house. His speed is unrivaled in the ravens secondary. If Jamal charles can break one I'm confident he can too.

wutchy
01-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Yep, special teams is an achilles heel for the steelers.
Who is the special teams coach anyway, we need to get rid of that guy.
Punt coverage is bad, kick coverage is worse.
It'd be nice to see us return a punt or kick-off for a TD, but I don't see it happening.
I don't understand it either, because we have some damn good atheletes on special teams, DB's and LB's that have talent, but they suck at coverage.

LukesDad88
01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Ok, can we ban Wutchy now? He's pretending to be a Steelers fan, yet he doesn't even know who their receiving corps is. (I'll give him a hint, He forgot the #5 receiver in the NFL this year, and replaced him with Stefan Logan, the 09 kick returner).

Troll

davidtrout
01-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Yep, special teams is an achilles heel for the steelers.
Who is the special teams coach anyway, we need to get rid of that guy.

I thought it was the 34 defense.
No, wait, it's not having a fullback.
No, it's lining up in the shotgun.
No, it's 4 WRs. Yeah, that was it.
Wait, no, it's that the fans at Heinz Field don't cheer for the Steelers.

Ah forget it. Too many achilles heels in Pittburgh. Why should we expect any better? I mean, seeing is we only have 8-8 talent and all.:noidea:

You aren't fooling anyone.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Noticed wutchy made this thread, stopped reading. :coffee: