View Full Version : Steelers ratchet up practice intensity

mesaSteeler
01-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Steelers ratchet up practice intensity
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717417.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 10, 2011

The Steelers were scheduled to practice for only an hour Sunday.

They went at it for approximately 50 minutes before coach Mike Tomlin cut the session short after rookie cornerback Crezdon Butler tackled wide receiver Mike Wallace following a sideline catch.

The play reflected the sense of urgency that has taken root at Steelers headquarters, with a divisional playoff game against the Ravens looming. And, as a bonus, it didn't produce any marks or hard feelings on Wallace's end.

"It's all good, just a little tangled up at the end of practice," Wallace said. "You can't get mad at anybody for trying to get better."

Ben Roethlisberger agreed.

"You want to have that right now. You want both sides to compete," the Steelers' quarterback said. "I would have been more mad at Crezdon -- and obviously I don't want anything to happen to Mike -- if he would have just let Mike catch it and not do anything. I'm just glad no one got hurt."

The Steelers practiced yesterday following a two-day break.

Wide receiver Hines Ward and inside linebacker James Farrior took part in drills after not participating in them last week.

Defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps), strong safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles) and cornerback Bryant McFadden (abdomen) didn't practice because of injuries.

With the Steelers playing Saturday, they implemented their Monday routine yesterday.

The Steelers practiced on a day in which they normally only watch film and meet because of the time off the players had at the end of last week.

"If we would have just came in and met, I don't think it would have had the same effect," Roethlisberger said. "I felt like the communication was good and we went against the best defense in the league. I felt like it was a good start to a very big week for us."

Wallace said practice yesterday had a distinct feel to it.

"It's different," he said. "The intensity's gone up and everyone's real serious. It's win or go home. I'm excited about it."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

fer522
01-10-2011, 09:22 AM
man i can't wait 'til saturday

:tt03: :drink: :tt03: :drink: :tt03:

MDSteel15
01-10-2011, 11:36 AM

:drink: :popcorn: :drink: :coffee: :drink: :thumbsup:

hindes204
01-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Im fired up already.....this week cant go by fast enough

SoCalFan
01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Its good to see the young players get fired up.Im sure the coaching staff and veteran players like Ward are getting them prepared mentally as well...

Fire Arians
01-10-2011, 06:02 PM

i'm sure all of us on board are in agreement with that :tt04:

wnyBob
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM

:drink: :tt02:

SH-Rock
01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
This is exactly what the Steelers need. Crank up the intensity. This is the first playoff game for Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Mendy as starters. I really want one of the rookies to have a big game and I really think Sanders can do it. Wallace will probably have double coverage some of the times which would be a great time to spread the field with Sanders and Brown. Can't wait till Saturday!