PDA

View Full Version : what are the Steeles doing to prepare..

TRH
01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
for the Ravens game? What do you think Tomlin has the team working on this week so we have the best chance possible to win this very important game?
Your thoughts?

theplatypus
01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
I know they had a short practice yesterday due to the short week, other than that not a clue. Hopefully they're working on picking up fast pass rushers, staggered blitzes, short routes/hot reads, and discipline on ST.

plenewken
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Somebody has to shut down Heap. This guy worries me much more than Rice or Bolden. He was injured when we played the Ravens in Baltimore. He's a real threat.

TRH
01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Somebody has to shut down Heap. This guy worries me much more than Rice or Bolden. He was injured when we played the Ravens in Baltimore. He's a real threat.

i agree. And we have to work on not allowing Flacco those 5, 10 yard short passes. KC allowed that to go on all day long. At some point, i was expecting the announcing crew to say "KC has to STOP allowing Flacco those passes and stop playing so deep...its killing them"
It reminded me somewhat of the way Brady plays. Short inside pass. Another one. Short outside pass. KC couldn't stop that and didn't even adjust to do so. We cannot allow that.

stlrtruck
01-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't think they are doing anything different then they did to prepare against the ravens the last time. They'll watch more game film (probably not much of the chiefs game). I'd say more of the previous two games we've played against them (especially from an offensive stand point to show areas that the offense can improve for in this game). Defensively I think it's best to watch the ravens last three games. Flacco is building his confidence and our defense needs to pinpoint his throws better, get him to faster, and make him go wacco!

plenewken
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't think they are doing anything different then they did to prepare against the ravens the last time. They'll watch more game film (probably not much of the chiefs game). I'd say more of the previous two games we've played against them (especially from an offensive stand point to show areas that the offense can improve for in this game). Defensively I think it's best to watch the ravens last three games. Flacco is building his confidence and our defense needs to pinpoint his throws better, get him to faster, and make him go wacco!

Our first game against them was in October. Not the same weather/field at all and Ben wasn't playing so it doesn't matter how it went.
It'll be too cold/windy to allow for many passes. Besides McGahee/Rice on the ground, Flacco will look for short passes to Heap and Rice as much as he did against the Chiefs. We need to have the right blitz packages to get to him quick in passing situations, he'll rip us apart if we give him enough time.

StainlessStill
01-10-2011, 11:24 AM
There's more holes in that Balty defense than anyone from their fanbase or critics want to say. Jamaal Charles was getting around 8 yards per rush at one point so Mendenhall needs to get some explosiveness and run downhill. If we can mix it up and be balanced, more so on 2nd down then that opens Ben. I really do think we need to utilize Heath Miller more. Are we confident enough to protect Ben with our lineman to get Heath out in space is the question.

I truly do believe that Heath Miller needs to be targeted to give us an edge against Balty, ONLY if we can get Mendy some lanes. I think we're fine on defense. K.C collapsed that Ravens pocket plenty of times and Flacco won't run like he did against K.C when it breaks down. Our linebackers are too athletic. Troy WILL be feared....

Third Rail
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
To shut down the offense:

Block the run (which we are almost always able to do) and shut down Flacco's ability to throw short check down passes (which is 90% of what he does). He might connect on a few long bombs but most of the time, he's much more comfortable going for the easiest possible opportunity.

To score against the defense:

Pass-block effiiciently (which the O-Line has been doing better and better lately) and throw some long bombs to Wallace. I'm not worried about Reed (he has never picked Ben off) and Baltimore's corners aren't anything special. If Ben, Wallace, Sanders and Brown are in sync, the downfield game should be good and if Miller and Ward are on their game (and I expect them to be) then the short passing game should be good.

I hope we can get some runs against them, though I don't see that happeing easily because Baltimore can be very tough to run against. I'd use Mendy for short checkdowns more than pure runs, but never underestimate Bruce Arians' tendency to try and fit a square peg into the complete and utter absence of any type of hole.

StainlessStill
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Ray Rice needs to be spotted and followed in everything or EVERYWHERE he goes. Flacco just isn't that great of a QB to spread the ball around to his weapons like Manning or Brady can do, so I think Ray Rice needs to be held in check, maybe put Timmons as a shadow. We can handle their receiving core and get pressure from our front.