PDA

View Full Version : View from Baltimore: Having never beaten Steelers in the playoffs, Baltimore is ready

mesaSteeler
01-11-2011, 06:13 AM
View from Baltimore: Having never beaten Steelers in the playoffs, Baltimore is ready
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
By Jamison Hensley, The Baltimore Sun
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011/1117014-66.stm

BALTIMORE

A trip to the AFC championship game and a shot at redemption await the Ravens in Saturday's divisional playoff game at Heinz Field.

Everyone in the Ravens locker room knows the reason they have to play at Heinz Field is because they failed to finish off their biggest rival 36 days ago.

The Ravens have since won five consecutive games -- which is currently the second-longest winning streak in the NFL -- but the players are carrying that loss with them along with a suddenly hot quarterback and an even hotter defense.

"I think it's going to be World War III," Ravens safety Dawan Landry said. "The last one left a bad taste in our mouth."

Whether it's having a first-round bye ripped from them or a championship dream squashed, Pittsburgh has become a frustrating roadblock for the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs.

The Ravens' Super Bowl title defense came to an end at Pittsburgh in the divisional playoffs in January 2002. Their championship run in coach John Harbaugh's first season was stopped by the Steelers in the AFC championship game in January 2009.

Still, the Ravens are embracing the challenge ahead.

The Ravens are currently 31/2-point underdogs, and that should be expected.

Five of the past six regular-season games between the Ravens and Steelers have been decided by three points, including both meetings this season.

"We know what [the Steelers are] all about, and it's going to be a tough game, but we're very confident about going there and playing against them," cornerback Chris Carr said. "And I'm sure they're very confident as well. Every single time we play them, it doesn't matter how good you play, it always seems like the game ends up being close. So hopefully, we can come in there and have a little better effort than we did in the second game."

That confidence should be brimming after the Ravens' 30-7 dismantling of the Kansas City Chiefs in Sunday's wild-card game.

The defense tied a playoff team record with five turnovers, and quarterback Joe Flacco tied an NFL record with his fourth playoff road win as a starter by putting together his most impressive postseason performance.

Four reasons the wild-card game offers hope of beating the Steelers:

Joe Flacco's play against the blitz. Flacco had perhaps his best showing in the pocket, from stepping up to make a throw to shrugging off a defender to scrambling for extra yards. He was nearly perfect against the Chiefs' pressure, completing 4 of 5 passes for 58 yards when Kansas City blitzed a defensive back. The Chiefs' secondary blitz had held teams to the lowest completion rate in the NFL this season, according to ESPN.

Opening up the passing game. Flacco's comfort zone has always seemed to be throwing the ball to Derrick Mason on the outside and finding Ray Rice underneath the coverage. In the wild-card game, Flacco controlled the middle of the field, completing 18 of 21 passes with two touchdowns in between the field numbers. Tight end Todd Heap and wide receiver Anquan Boldin resurfaced in a passing game that will need to carry the Ravens against the NFL's top-ranked run defense.

Creating turnovers. Causing a handful of turnovers in the playoffs is always impressive. But the Ravens defense forced these mistakes out of a Chiefs team that had the second-fewest giveaways in the NFL.

Discovering their finishing touch. The Ravens have struggled all season to put teams away early, losing nine leads in the fourth quarter. But they owned the fourth quarter in Sunday's wild-card game, controlling the ball for all but 68 seconds. The Ravens need to carry that same mentality into Pittsburgh, especially when you consider that both meetings have come down to plays late in the fourth quarter.

Jamison Hensley writes for The Baltimore Sun.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011/1117014-66.stm#ixzz1AjChKUe4

btaylor179
01-11-2011, 07:41 AM
and the ravens still suck!!!!

TRH
01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
i bet they are ready. Hopefully the rest we had will be to our advantage. I can see Tomlin right now at the facilities barking orders like this:
"Hang on to the ball...DON'T lose it"
"Don't even dare to push or smack somebody after a play and cost us 15 yards or you'll answer to me..."

FanSince72
01-11-2011, 08:30 AM
You know, if you start thinking about stuff like this you'll drive yourself crazy.

Try looking at it this way: The Ravens are on a five-game winning streak and streaks are hard to keep going.

Whatever happens --- happens and that's all there is to it. We have all the tools and the talent to kick Baltimore's ass and there's no reason on this earth to believe that we won't do that. Baltimore has peaked but we're still peaking and if we can get the offense going (like I think we will) we have the potential to put this thing to bed in the first half. If Ben & Co. can get some quick scores, and we get up by two or more possessions, Baltimore is NOT a team that can rack up points at will -- especially against a defense like ours.

There's two ways to look at this: We can sit here wringing our hands hoping for this or hoping for that, or we can simply stand up and say that we're the best team in the league and we're going to beat the crap out of anyone we face.

Since none of us has any control over the outcome, I see no reason on this earth to think that we're going to lose until proven otherwise.

So what's it gonna be?

Are we going to worry like a bunch of washwomen?

Or are we just going to stick our fists in the air and stand by our team?

:tt02: HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!! :tt02:

bobby jr
01-11-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't see two playoff losses over 10 years as a history of losing in the playoffs to the Steelers.
I expect the Ravens record to be 1-2 after Saturday, 1 game below .500.
The Ravens have the mo, big time, after the KC game, while the Steelers may be stale for sitting for two weeks after their best game of the year. You don't want to sit after a game like that one.

billym99
01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Bobby,

You've posted in about 20 threads that the Ravens have all the momentum after a mind blowing, franchise defining victory against the Juggernaut Chiefs. We also know, from the same posts mind you, that the Steelers are complete and udder fools for not tanking it against Cleveland and giving up the first round bye because they will be flat footed on Saturday.

Anyways, I think we've all gotten it by now. I know the Ravens victory on Saturday defines what a blowout is, I know that 102% of people in Baltimore are wearing purple and are amped up for the game (even though I'm looking out my office window as I type this and see no purple), I know that Flacco has gotten the playoff monkey off of his back and is now near unbeatable.

There you go, I saved you typing this 20 more times BECAUSE WE KNOW!

Cheers!

Billy M.

plenewken
01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Booby,

Just root for your team and quit bugging us with your "scientific" justifications. See Seattle saturday.

The intangibles (bye week, history, momentum, home field etc...) are not a factor at this level of game. NFL players are professional athletes and they prepare well. It's gonna be execution vs execution and as usual the game will be decided by a couple of big plays, either offensively, defensively or special teams.

I just hope that it won't be decided by a blown call or a key injury.

GO STEELERS.

Rotorhead
01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Ahh, Booby is back to talk all the moronic BS which has endeared him to this message board. I look forward to seeing him disappear after the Ratbirds lose again, only to resurface next season blabbing about how they are the superior team and they should be the defending champs instead of the Steelers.

tony hipchest
01-11-2011, 09:30 AM
bobby, you suck. we dont care what you see.

SteelCityMom
01-11-2011, 09:32 AM
bobby, you suck. we dont care what you see.

But, but, but, Tony....they have the mo. :chuckle:

If you've read one of Booby's posts, you've read them all....literally.

steelerchad
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't see two playoff losses over 10 years as a history of losing in the playoffs to the Steelers.
The Ravens have the mo, big time, after the KC game, while the Steelers may be stale for sitting for two weeks after their best game of the year. You don't want to sit after a game like that one.

True, it is only 2 playoff loses. But, it's more than just 2 playoff games. The Steelers have won almost every meaningful game these 2 teams have played. The Steelers have cost the Ravens in big games repeatedly and the Ravens seem to win either early in the season or when it really doesn't matter to one or both of the teams. I'll give you a few examples of big games between the two teams and the outcome being in favor of the Steelers and then you can feel free to post some of your big wins against the Steelers.

12/5/10- @ Balt- W 13-10 Pittsburgh. This win put a hammer lock on the AFC N, 2 seed, and a bye. Relegated the Ravens to a #5 and put them on the road.

Jan/09- @ Pit - W 23-14. The AFCC game propelled the Steelers to their 6th Super Bowl costing the Ravens a chance at their 2nd.

12/14/08- @ Balt- W 13-9. Last second drive by Ben clinches the AFC N division putting the Ravens on the road for the playoffs including the loss in the AFCC game.

12/26/04 -@ Pit- W 20-7. Crushing late season loss for the playoff hopeful Ravens who end their season at 9-7 and miss the playoffs, while the Steelers advance to the AFCC game.

Jan/2002 - @ Pit- W 27-10. Playoff game ends the Ravens hopes of a title defense.

These are easily the biggest 5 games the 2 teams have played against each other, when there was something for both teams to play for and the Steelers have won them all. I've left out many less meaningful wins like the 2005 season, where we went on to win the Super Bowl, the 2007 Monday night beatdown, where we made the playoffs in 07, because the Ravens were terrible and there wasn't something on the line for both teams. Same can be said for the 2006 season where the Ravens were clearly better and destoyed the Steelers, but the Steelers were going nowhere that year starting out 2-6.

As you can see, in the biggest games the Steelers have come up BIG. The Ravens are still looking for their first signature win against Pittsburgh. Their wins have been much less important and many of them with Big Ben on the sidelines.

So I've got 5 pretty significant games here either in the playoffs or division clinching games late in the season. I can't think of any Ravens wins that were bigger games for both teams than any of these. If you remember some meaningful Ravens wins against the Steelers please list them here.

Lastly, I'm surely not saying the Ravens can't win Saturday. In fact, I would only give the Steelers a 60%-40% chance of winning this game. But based on the history and being at home and having an extra week to rest and heal, I do like the Steelers over the Ravens this week.

The Steelers have been very clutch against the Ravens when the stakes are the highest. You continuously predicting Ravens wins and even blowouts or easy wins is kind of like my brother-in-law the Browns fan predicting they'll beat the Steelers every year. Like I tell him, Keep saying it every year because eventually it will come true. A blind squirrel does find a nut once in a while. I just hope it's not this Saturday.

billym99
01-11-2011, 10:04 AM
True, it is only 2 playoff loses. But, it's more than just 2 playoff games. The Steelers have won almost every meaningful game these 2 teams have played. The Steelers have cost the Ravens in big games repeatedly and the Ravens seem to win either early in the season or when it really doesn't matter to one or both of the teams. I'll give you a few examples of big games between the two teams and the outcome being in favor of the Steelers and then you can feel free to post some of your big wins against the Steelers.

12/5/10- @ Balt- W 13-10 Pittsburgh. This win put a hammer lock on the AFC N, 2 seed, and a bye. Relegated the Ravens to a #5 and put them on the road.

Jan/09- @ Pit - W 23-14. The AFCC game propelled the Steelers to their 6th Super Bowl costing the Ravens a chance at their 2nd.

12/14/08- @ Balt- W 13-9. Last second drive by Ben clinches the AFC N division putting the Ravens on the road for the playoffs including the loss in the AFCC game.

12/26/04 -@ Pit- W 20-7. Crushing late season loss for the playoff hopeful Ravens who end their season at 9-7 and miss the playoffs, while the Steelers advance to the AFCC game.

Jan/2002 - @ Pit- W 27-10. Playoff game ends the Ravens hopes of a title defense.

These are easily the biggest 5 games the 2 teams have played against each other, when there was something for both teams to play for and the Steelers have won them all. I've left out many less meaningful wins like the 2005 season, where we went on to win the Super Bowl, the 2007 Monday night beatdown, where we made the playoffs in 07, because the Ravens were terrible and there wasn't something on the line for both teams. Same can be said for the 2006 season where the Ravens were clearly better and destoyed the Steelers, but the Steelers were going nowhere that year starting out 2-6.

As you can see, in the biggest games the Steelers have come up BIG. The Ravens are still looking for their first signature win against Pittsburgh. Their wins have been much less important and many of them with Big Ben on the sidelines.

So I've got 5 pretty significant games here either in the playoffs or division clinching games late in the season. I can't think of any Ravens wins that were bigger games for both teams than any of these. If you remember some meaningful Ravens wins against the Steelers please list them here.

Lastly, I'm surely not saying the Ravens can't win Saturday. In fact, I would only give the Steelers a 60%-40% chance of winning this game. But based on the history and being at home and having an extra week to rest and heal, I do like the Steelers over the Ravens this week.

The Steelers have been very clutch against the Ravens when the stakes are the highest. You continuously predicting Ravens wins and even blowouts or easy wins is kind of like my brother-in-law the Browns fan predicting they'll beat the Steelers every year. Like I tell him, Keep saying it every year because eventually it will come true. A blind squirrel does find a nut once in a while. I just hope it's not this Saturday.

Best post I've read all week.

tony hipchest
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM

right?

i agree... its almost as if he is intentionally spamming every single ravens related thread with the same broken record message.

it just aint right.

hey boobjob, cut it out!

9yrkYwQ7_2Q

Wallace108
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't see two playoff losses over 10 years as a history of losing in the playoffs to the Steelers..

:toofunny:

You don't have much of a history of winning either. :wink02:

jizzballz
01-11-2011, 02:43 PM

please unban him so i can have some fun, at least give me his I.P. address so i can give it to hackers.

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

Fire Arians
01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
never have and never will!

well, maybe someday but not this saturday

kirklandrules
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
View from Baltimore: Having never beaten Steelers in the playoffs, Baltimore is ready

"I think it's going to be World War III," Ravens safety Dawan Landry said. "The last one left a bad taste in our mouth."
Who the hell is this guy? And I wonder what the Steelers did to leave a "bad taste" in their mouths???:poop:

Whether it's having a first-round bye ripped from them or a championship dream squashed, Pittsburgh has become a frustrating roadblock for the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs.

Boy I really like the sounds of that:
"the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." "the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs." :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
please unban him so i can have some fun, at least give me his I.P. address so i can give it to hackers.

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

*sniff sniff* you smell like stupid_fly.

that would explain alot.

SH-Rock
01-12-2011, 04:33 AM
A lot of you are underestimating the Ravens. The way to win this game is time of possession. Force the Ravens to play catch up and don't make last second follies like the Ravens did last game.

CaliStillersFan
01-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Booby,

I just hope that it won't be decided by a blown call or a key injury.

GO STEELERS.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Win or lose I'll live, any season we win in Baltimore and win the division, I'm a happy man, anything else is just a bonus. I just hope no one key goes down from either team. There's is no way in hell I want to see a NY or Boston team win the Super Bowl, both those fan bases me drive crazy now. I don't want to have to hear them run their mouths from now until September.

SacknificentStew56
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I hope they're more mentally ready than physically. I don't want us to beat ourselves by getting personal fouls especially. This game is always a physical battle and doing something stupid will make it even worse.

vasteeler
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
*sniff sniff* you smell like stupid_fly.

that would explain alot.

the nose knows, i think you may be right

mcg24
01-16-2011, 03:36 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHERE YOU AT NOW BOBBY? NO COMMENT AFTER THE BIG LOSS?

You have absolutely no balls. You'll talk it up all week long but after your loss you are nowhere to be found. You are a pathetic, spineless Ratbird fan. Now that you're gone, stay off and don't ever come back. We don't need losers like you who can't represent there team when there are storm clouds overhead. Stay indoors, you can come out when there is more fair weather.

Fire Arians
01-16-2011, 03:55 AM
^ dude's banned, he can't come back even if he wanted to

plenewken
01-16-2011, 07:18 AM

and that's a shame but even if he wasn't banned, he wouldn't show up. He knows what's waiting for him here. lol

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2011, 07:50 AM
and that's a shame but even if he wasn't banned, he wouldn't show up. He knows what's waiting for him here. lol

In his defense, he showed up after the December loss with some amusing explanations as to why the Ravens actually won that game every way except on the scoreboard

I regret not being able to hear his explanation of how Flacco really played a great game yesterday

steelerchad
01-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Dude's not banned. SC Mom unbanned him.
It doesn't matter, I don't really want to hear his BS excuses anyway. But I'd bet a million dollars the guy has read some post game posts on here. He's a glutton for punishment. He's probably lurking now. Wow, a monumental collapse by his team that is ready for a championship and his QB who suppossedly had come of age.

Owned again by the real champs.