PDA

View Full Version : bengals lock up chad johnson til 2011

tony hipchest
04-20-2006, 03:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2415464

6 year deal/ 35 mil. i guess him shutting his mouth and not pulling a t.o. worked. suprising move by bengals.

Suitanim
04-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Rosenhaus: "As long as I've been doing this, I've never been able to get an extension like this, basically because of the time remaining on the contract. It's historical. And it's a testament to Chad, and how well he's performed, and to Bengals management for the way they have handled this and the commitment they've made to him."

Translation: Cincy just made a stupid and completely unnecessary signing

tony hipchest
04-20-2006, 03:56 PM
around year 2009-2010, when 6 mil is grossly underpaid for a top 5-10 wr we will see if chad pulls a t.o.

83-Steelers-43
04-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I wonder if Cincy will still have deal with Chad having a mental breakdown at half time during the big game?

HburgXL06
04-20-2006, 04:29 PM
If the man still has four years on his contract left wtf are they doin RE-signing him?

BuFu

BlackNGold203
04-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Said coach Marvin Lewis: "This is a key development for our team. It further secures our future with one of our top players, in the prime of his career

Uh..you already had him for 4 more years...which would have been the prime of his career marvin....

DOH!!

HburgXL06
04-20-2006, 04:56 PM
By 2009 I bet that his riverdances will get mighty old. I think there is some law that when a pet becomes a threat to the general well-being of the populace around it becomes necessary to put it down. It doesn't matter whether that pet is entertaining or is cute to hear when it meows extra loud to try to get attention it must be done to prevent further injury to others. From what I've heard the most humane procedure is to take it to Dr. Rooney's clinic. Their team is very professional and humane when putting down nuisances. They take the sad animal behind what they call the Steel Curtain and the animal is never heard from again. It is very sad to see any of God's creatures go but sometimes sacrifices must be made for the common good. Current price of the procedure I believe is only $55543.92 but that is only an estimate.

BuFu

CantStop85
04-20-2006, 06:33 PM
If the man still has four years on his contract left wtf are they doin RE-signing him?

BuFu
Because after this season he more than likely would've been asking for a new contract anyway.

The deal makes sure that Carson and Chad will be together for 6 more years. The cap hit for this year is basically the same as it was, so there should still be enough money to extend Levi Jones's contract before the season starts. Basically what you're seeing is the Bengals' attempt to keep the offense intact for a long time. Chad, TJ, Carson, Rudi, Bobbie Williams, Jeremi Johnson, and probably Levi Jones and Eric Steinbach will all be with the Bengals for at least another 3 years.

In my eyes, a pretty good move to continue a very good offseason for the Bengals...can't wait until the draft.

tony hipchest
04-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Because after this season he more than likely would've held out for another contract anyway.

score:

players- 1

owners- 0

another spineless owner showing the inmates rule the asylum, by caving in. but this is the bengals. how long till chads next scheduled holdout? how long till hes lifting weights in the driveway as helicopters fly overhead?

RoethlisBURGHer
04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Good for them,they locked up loudmouth.

It doesn't matter how many TD's,yards,and catches he gets in the regular season.The Bengals will never win a Super Bowl.

Super Bowl rings:

Hines Ward: 1 (and counting)
Chad "Can't Stop 85-unless you're in the playoffs" Johnson: 0

CantStop85
04-20-2006, 08:56 PM
score:

players- 1

owners- 0

another spineless owner showing the inmates rule the asylum, by caving in. but this is the bengals. how long till chads next scheduled holdout? how long till hes lifting weights in the driveway as helicopters fly overhead?
Although I did state that it is likely that Chad may have asked for a new contract eventually, it's not like he actually did and the team caved in and gave him what he wants. Believe it or not, locking up your best players for a long time is actually a good thing. As much as you hate him, you know he's an exceptionally gifted player who's been the best receiver in the AFC for 3 straight years. Kudos to the Bengals organization for thinking ahead and good luck to the AFCN corners who have to cover him for the next 5 years.

It's not like he's ever threatened holding out an entire season like another AFCN receiver I know.

MasterOfPuppets
04-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Although I did state that it is likely that Chad may have asked for a new contract eventually, it's not like he actually did and the team caved in and gave him what he wants. Believe it or not, locking up your best players for a long time is actually a good thing. As much as you hate him, you know he's an exceptionally gifted player who's been the best receiver in the AFC for 3 straight years. Kudos to the Bengals organization for thinking ahead and good luck to the AFCN corners who have to cover him for the next 5 years.

It's not like he's ever threatened holding out an entire season like another AFCN receiver I know.
contracts ain't worth the paper thier written on......just wait a few yrs when someone gets a 6 yr 60 million contract and see how chad acts then.....:rolleyes:

klick81
04-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Meh...really didn't expect anything else.

Suitanim
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
You'd think the Bengals would learn after their $110 million dollar boy was almost immediately handed what could still be a career shortening injury right after HE signed a huge deal that sometimes it's better to wait...well, no, in fact, according to his agent, it's ALWAYS better to wait, since no other team has ever been stupid enough to sign this kind of deal.

tony hipchest
04-21-2006, 09:52 AM
You'd think the Bengals would learn after their $110 million dollar boy was almost immediately handed what could still be a career shortening injury right after HE signed a huge deal that sometimes it's better to wait...well, no, in fact, according to his agent, it's ALWAYS better to wait, since no other team has ever been stupid enough to sign this kind of deal. the bengals are new to this stuff of trying to field a real team that actually wins. another 15 years and several players holdouts later, they may figure it out. well....probably not. theyre the bengals.

steelerdude
04-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Because after this season he more than likely would've been asking for a new contract anyway.

Its sad that contracts don't mean s**t anymore.

klick81
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Its sad that contracts don't mean s**t anymore.

Well, not in the NFL. Breach of contract anywhere else will get your ass handed to ya. I don't know why it doesn't apply to the NFL.