PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Pistol formation

Heeeeeeeath
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Is this something we should knock the dust off and bring back in the playoffs? I don't think teams are really well scouted on our use of it.

StainlessStill
01-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Is this something we should knock the dust off and bring back in the playoffs? I don't think teams are really well scouted on our use of it.

I think the last time we played Baltimore, we lined up in the pistol with Ben in the shotgun due keeping pressure off his broken foot against a fierce pass rush. I also think the Chiefs used it a few times this year but if it could be used to take pressure off of Ben and gives him more time to read the D against a relentless pass rush, why not, we already won with it once. As far as running plays, I don't think we'd be as successful. It's tough to run in the interior of the Ravens line to begin with. Lining up that far from the line of scrimmage will be tougher to hit the hole than lining up in a power run game since the Ravens swallow the middle as it is.

frunko1
01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
If I remember right didn't we use it in the first half then switch to more normal formations at the 2nd half?

Fire Arians
01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
why not, we should mix things up more often anyway

PhantomJB93
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't think we're very well acquainted with it ourselves, in the game we used it (the last Baltimore game right?) from what I remember Ben looked awkward in it, the plays were horribly innefective and we switched to a regular shotgun for the rest of the game after trying it out for two drives...

Shea
01-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Excuse me, but my question has nothing to do with formations and X's and O's.

What compels me is your user name. How many times does it take to get the right amount of E's to log on? :chuckle:

lionslicer
01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
why not, we should mix things up more often anyway

What are you nuts? The only mixing up Arians does is mixing up where recievers stand in his 5 wide-out formation.

Stu Pidasso
01-13-2011, 12:16 AM
With how fast and aggressive the Ravens pursue running plays to the outside, one well-timed reverse play could mean winning the game for us.

grward
01-13-2011, 04:32 AM
With how fast and aggressive the Ravens pursue running plays to the outside, one well-timed reverse play could mean winning the game for us.

And there in lies the problem. Well-timed. Most of our reverse plays look like they are executed by high school players.