PDA

View Full Version : Who is this kid? Pretty impressive

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Marques Colston climbing charts

The Susquehanna Twp. graduate, who left Hofstra as the school's all-time leader in receiving yardage, may be moving closer to hearing his name called on the first day of the NFL draft, held April 29-30.

Colston, a late-round pick at best after catching 70 passes for 975 yards and five touchdowns for Hofstra last fall, ran a 4.43 40-yard dash at the combine. Combine that speed with a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-3 broad jump and a long shuttle time of 11.27 seconds, and Colston's secret is out.

He isn't considered a late-round pick anymore.

"I think I surprised a lot of NFL people with my time in the 40," said Colston, back in Harrisburg after spending last Thursday through Sunday in Indianapolis.

"I really don't think I was expected to run that fast, not at my size. I think most people were probably thinking I'd run around 4.6.

"But I just look at it as an extension of what I was doing at Hofstra. I tried to play the way I did there. There are a lot of good players on that [I-AA] level."

Players like former Cumberland Valley standout Charlie Adams, another Hofstra alum, who is a Denver Broncos wideout.

Colston's agent, midstate-based Mark Clouser, believes his client is a mid-round pick who can improve his stock with another solid workout March 24, Pro Day at Hofstra.

"Marques was the biggest receiver out there [in Indianapolis]," Clouser said.

"And I think the league is really aware of him now. They know he had a lot of catches at Hofstra and then they wanted to see him play with the big boys in the East-West game. Well, Marques showed he can do that.

"Then, I think the league wanted to get an up-close look at Marques at the combine, to see if he was fast enough. And he ran a 4.4."

At the East-West game in San Antonio, Colston, representing the East, caught five passes for 82 yards. The West won the game, but not before Colston nearly scored on a desperation pass on the game's second-to-last play. Colston caught the ball at the 1 and was stopped.

Clouser said four teams -- Seattle, Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh -- have showed the most interest and Colston said he was grilled by just about every team's receivers coach and medical staff.

Of particular concern was a shoulder injury that forced Colston to take a redshirt in 2004. Colston said the injury, a torn labrum in his left shoulder, is 100 percent healed.

"We think this is a bit of a down year for receivers both in the draft and in free agency, and that should only help Marques," Clouser said.

And there's no denying the foot speed. The list of 6-5, 225-pounders who can cover 40 yards in 4.43 seconds is a short one.

"I know I still have a lot of work to do but I know I can play," Colston said.

"I think I did what I had to do at the combine, and I really didn't think there was any adjustment or anything that I had to make to get ready for it. I trained hard for the East-West game and for the combine and I just looked at it as an opportunity to show a larger audience what I was capable of doing."

Source: By Bob Flounders, The Patriot-News
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1141208870183110.xml&coll=1

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060301192023815

slashsteel
04-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I would be willing to give him a 4th round look.

Suitanim
04-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Add him into the Robinson/Bloom/Hixon mix.

tony hipchest
04-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Add him into the Robinson/Bloom/Hixon mix.

are nance and baskett in this midround mix too? seems like talk of them has kinda died down.

6'5" 225 and a 4.4 is no joke though. i remember the raw ike taylor being taken based primarily on his 40 time. i think he was the fastest (and least polished) cb in his class.

Suitanim
04-21-2006, 01:51 PM
I think we will draft Martin Nance in Rd 3.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Nance makes alot of sense. Our 3rd round is essentially the first pick in the fourth round - about where he is projected.

I would be hoping for Demetrius Williams. He was clutch when the plays were most critical - a real cool head. We would have to make a move with our 2nd pick to get him though.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2006, 04:47 PM
6'5" 225 and a 4.4 is no joke though.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm liking the height. While I have Fred Gibson in the back of my mind, the risk is minimized in a year when you have 5 picks between the 4th and 5 rounds. Plus one of the many knocks on Gibson was his intelligence, this kid seems pretty smart.

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest]

Makes for an interesting combo of size and speed, almost Plax like, I hope they check on his HEART, something Plax lacked.

tony hipchest
04-21-2006, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest]

Makes for an interesting combo of size and speed, almost Plax like, I hope they check on his HEART, something Plax lacked.i hear that. this quote makes me think he may be on the right path:

"I know I still have a lot of work to do but I know I can play," Colston said.

HburgXL06
04-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Draft the boy from HARRISBURG!! He even went to the same district school as me: Susquehanna. I would love to see a man from my hometown suited up in BlacknGold.

BuFu

clevestinks
04-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Just get a better than average wr to fit in our system

tony hipchest
04-21-2006, 09:08 PM
didnt know he was a pennsylvania kid. maybe he grew up loving and dreaming of being a steeler. that extra little bit of motivation helps.

tony hipchest
04-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Just get a better than average wr to fit in our system thats all we need cleve. were not gonna get (or shouldnt expect) the next randy moss, t.o. (talent wise), holt, or harrison. not in this draft anyways.

HburgXL06
04-21-2006, 09:22 PM
didnt know he was a pennsylvania kid. maybe he grew up loving and dreaming of being a steeler. that extra little bit of motivation helps.

Yea I knew where he was from as soon as the article said "Susquehanna Twp." For reference is the school district that is right outside the Harrisburg city limits. It sounds like if he was eligible for the NFL now (college senior?) then I wouldn't have known him since I'm only a freshman in college now. But still it is great to see a guy from da HBG goin to the NFL. If he suits up in BlacknGold I'll be the first to sign up for a jersey. Peace.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Well Hburg, Steeler or no Steeler I hope he works out in the NFL (except against us). Pennsylvania kid. I'll root for him.

HburgXL06
04-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Well Hburg, Steeler or no Steeler I hope he works out in the NFL (except against us). Pennsylvania kid. I'll root for him.

I'm with you on that. I'll support him whether or not he becomes a Steeler.

BuFu