PDA

View Full Version : Group behind Ben getting alittle crowded..

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2005, 10:55 AM
http://secure2.steelers.com/article/52720/

Between Batch, St. Pierre, and Maddox, its getting alitte crowded back there behind ben. You know atleast 1 of them is going to go. Who's it gonna be?

clevestinks
04-29-2005, 12:40 PM
I like Tommy, but he is a little over rated. We thought he was a savior, because he took over for Kordell, big deal now.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm all for dropping STP and Batch and keeping Tommy and using El as the emergancy QB.It'll free up cap space.

geran42o
04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
I never liked Batch, chuck him and keep the rest

acrossthepond
04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
All BSP has going for him is one good drive he led in his first pre-season. Weak arm, OK decisions, not going to come off the bench and win a game for you . . . just very average - I see little upside. Maddox has shown he can turn a game around so my #2 no question - Batch hasnt had much of a chance with us, but in Detroit (when healthy) was at least decent and on occasion v good - I'd sleep soundly with Ben/Tommy/Batch as my 1,2,3.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2005, 03:09 PM
I dont mind dropping st. pierre either.. the more vets Ben has behind him to help him , the better. Although Tommy didnt show us much when he came in against the giants i think it was, last season.. an interception and a bunch of poorly thrown balls. Granted he hadnt played since week 2, but still, when your paid to come off the bench and perform, you gotta come thru.

clevestinks
04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
So far I`m the only dummy that voted Tommy. :D

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Im on the edge w/ Tommy cleve.. if it was for the fact that he knows the offense so well, and actually played a down in the last 2 years, I'd be dropping him too.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-29-2005, 05:46 PM
i say keep tommy maddox and let the rest go. You all know what can happen when maddox gets on fire. he knows the reviever core too. Randle El will be emergency

Ironman
04-29-2005, 06:12 PM
When Kansas City cuts Jason White, I say drop all of them and pick him up.

clevestinks
04-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Please tell me your joking? hahahaha

Ironman
04-30-2005, 09:22 AM
A little... :) I just don't like any of the QB's behind Ben on the depth chart. I guess that was my extreme way of saying it :)

ironcitychef
04-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Ben and Tommy will be the only two on the depth chart. Either St. Pierre or Batch will be put on the expanded practice squad until needed.

madrax
05-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Ben and Tommy will be the only two on the depth chart. Either St. Pierre or Batch will be put on the expanded practice squad until needed.

Well, Batch just re-signed for a year, so he's on. Looks like the Saint is odd man out... again.

clevestinks
05-01-2005, 11:26 AM
I really wouldn`t say that St.Pierre is out cause of Batchs contract. The Steelers want at least four arms in camp, so signing Batch was a no brainer.

ironcitychef
05-02-2005, 10:28 AM
contract status doesn't really show roster placement. Just shows we have the rights to now place you where we want.

clevestinks
05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Exactly Chef! So with that said let the best man win.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Carrying 2 QB's on the active roster scares me to death. Because even if u carry another on the practice squad, they can be signed away by another team anytime. I'd much rather carry 3.

acrossthepond
05-02-2005, 08:14 PM
The only reason I think they could feel confident last year at having BSP on the practice squad is that he'd shown nothing to other teams to make them want to sign him. He was valuable to us cos he knew the playbook

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah, teams wouldnt really make much of an effort to sign BSP away from us, if he was on the practice squad, ur right about that, but still, carrying 2 regular QB's on the active roster, just makes me nervous. becuz if something did happen in a happen in a game, God forbid, our offense would be severely hampered at the loss at WR too, w/ El playing QB.

clevestinks
05-03-2005, 03:51 AM
I`m all four having three qb`s, even with out receivers that have played qb before. El,Ward, miller

acrossthepond
05-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I'd hate to see them gamble with only 2 QBs on the roster especially early in the season (despite trying to explain how BSP wasnt as great a risk last year). How many starting QBs in camp stay healthy all year and take every snap???? Having only 2 QBs late in the season on your 53 man roster is a big risk, but having only 2 on the roster from Day 1 is potentially suicide

clevestinks
05-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes two is definitley a NO. Especially considering how fragile Tommy seems to be.

Avoid LLoyd1975
05-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Batch is washed up and has been washed up and BSP is mud. Maddox could be used for trade bait but that would leave us in a really bad situation having to keep batch or BSP. Keeping maddox definately is the viable option.

ironcitychef
05-04-2005, 01:47 AM
First off, our #1 Qb last year passed a max of 29 times a game. Handed off/(or ran himself) the rest of the time. If you can keep him on the practice squad(tons of extra benefits) why not put your 3rd qb on their for game day. Why take a sideline spot from an extra LB or RB who could get a big sack or bring in that burst of speed later in a game. I can't remeber the last time a team lost two QB's in the same game, so having El or Ward be the emergency is an option I'm very comfortable with. I'd rather have Wallace be into the game 16 times a year and make one key play than have Batch/St. Pierre on the sideline carry a clip board all year. Besides we did it last year and only went 15-1.

acrossthepond
05-04-2005, 08:11 AM
First off, our #1 Qb last year passed a max of 29 times a game. Handed off/(or ran himself) the rest of the time. If you can keep him on the practice squad(tons of extra benefits) why not put your 3rd qb on their for game day. Why take a sideline spot from an extra LB or RB who could get a big sack or bring in that burst of speed later in a game. I can't remeber the last time a team lost two QB's in the same game, so having El or Ward be the emergency is an option I'm very comfortable with. I'd rather have Wallace be into the game 16 times a year and make one key play than have Batch/St. Pierre on the sideline carry a clip board all year. Besides we did it last year and only went 15-1.

Remember the Emergency/ 3rd QB is an additional player on Gamedays to the normal gameday roster - and the team have to sit 8 of their players on the 53 man roster on gamedays in any case so having a 3rd QB on the 53 man roster doesnt lose you any players available on a gameday.

clevestinks
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I`ll be honest, I`m shocked that alot of yinz want only Ben, and Tommy, something to think about I guess?

ironcitychef
05-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Remember the Emergency/ 3rd QB is an additional player on Gamedays to the normal gameday roster - and the team have to sit 8 of their players on the 53 man roster on gamedays in any case so having a 3rd QB on the 53 man roster doesnt lose you any players available on a gameday.

Ooops...understand your point, but I guess I'm saying I don't want him dressed. Plus he doesn't need to take up a roster spot either. I guess I'm asking who we need to develop more. Batch or St. Pierre roster spot(or Tommy even) vs. a undrafted rookie who might pan out. I'm going to wager that our success in doing it last year(just having St. Pierre on speed dial for the following week) is going to let us put as many of those young guys onto our side of practice situations and gamedays. Remember we have plenty of decisions to make on all those 1 year contracts come season's end. Time to know if we cough up more money to sign those young guys long term. Batch is old, St. Pierre is constant back up material, and Tommy had his shot. I don't see us going long term on any of those guys.

acrossthepond
05-05-2005, 07:32 AM
I don't want us to be in a position where part way through the season we lose Ben and Tommy (which is always a chance part way through the NFL season) and have either no-one to fall back on who knows the playbook (cos BSP has been signed by someone else) or some street free agent (e.g. Kurt Kittner!!!) who is on our practice squad. While I said in an earlier post that they took the risk with St. Pierre late in the season, cos he wasnt the most desirable QB out there, it's still a huge risk. We'd be much more likely to win this year if our top 2 guys go down with Batch on the bench. He won quite a few games with the Lions (and not always with the best supporting cast). To me it's a no-brainer with a championship caliber team like the Steelers . . . Batch is more likely to win than BSP imo.

KeystoneKC
05-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Releasing Maddox makes no sense to me. With his new contract from last year, it will cost $350K more to cut him (pre 6/1) than it would to keep him. I think Batch has too much time in, so he couldn't be placed on the Practice Squad. If he were kept, it would have to be on the 53 man roster. Options as I see them:

1. Trade Maddox or Batch, and try to get something for them. (Doesn't happen in Pittsburgh for whatever reason.)
2. Release Batch after camp, & keep Ben, Tommy, & St. Pierre. St. Pierre could either be kept on the roster or PS. No cap savings since Batch's deal is 1-year.
3. Release St Pierre & keep the others all on the regular roster. No cap savings since Brian is in the last year of his contract as well.
4. Release both Batch & St Pierre. Keep the others & hope all goes well. No cap savings.

Options 2, 3, & 4 all cost pretty much the same. I guess it boils down to how much you think the #3 QB is going to play, & your preference between the two. I prefer Batch.