PDA

View Full Version : Ben- sacks down

steelerchad
01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Ben only got sacked 32 times this year. I know he only played 12 games, but his sacks per game is down this year vs. any year since 05. 2004 and 2005, Bens sacks per game were the 2 lowest of his career as the Steelers were a dominant running team then. This o-line is more patch work than any year in recent history. Pouncey is the one standout and may be some of the difference.Here are the stats and how many games he played.

2010- 32 sacks -12 games - 2.7avg/game
2009- 50-15-3.3
2008- 46-16-2.9
2007- 47-15-3.1
2006- 46-15-3.1

He's going to need to make some plays running around against Baltimore's defense, but the last 2 games he got the ball out quickly for the most part and had big days. 2 of his highest passer rating games of the year. Some of this I attribute to timing coming together and some of it to weak defensive play.

I hope we have some quick hitters scripted for early in the game. Baltimore's defense is good enough to make some adjustments. But, if we get some quick passes in early it could open things up for a deep ball to Wallace or for Ben to make one of signature scramble plays in the 2nd half.

MDSteel15
01-13-2011, 01:08 PM
How many times where our QBs sacked while Ben was out?

Rick5895
01-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Sacks are down, maybe that is a result of Ben having a better release, but maybe, Our O Line hasn't been as bad as everyone thinks. Once you get the rep of playing poorly it's hard to shake no matter how good you may play.

plenewken
01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Not very often but we were running the ball much more with Batch and Dixon.

zulater
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Sacks are down, maybe that is a result of Ben having a better release, but maybe, Our O Line hasn't been as bad as everyone thinks. Once you get the rep of playing poorly it's hard to shake no matter how good you may play.

Our line earned their lousy rep.When Starks went down we had a horrendous run of games, but lately things have smoothed out some. Hopefully that wasn't just due to lously competition.

Fire Arians
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM

considering the injuries to the line this year I really felt they pulled it together. they have played well toward the end of the season, the unit is starting to gel at the right time

stand undefeated
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd say the over under for sacks against on saturday will be 3.

I'm calling for a push.

steelerchad
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM

actually Dixon/Batch were sacked 9 times in the first 4 games or 2.3 per game. Not very different and neither of them holds the ball much and we were mostly run in those games.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Ben has a 7.6% sack percentage. Batch has 7.5%. Dixon is 13.5%. Leftwich is 22.2%. Indeed Ben this year has played maybe his best ever. His deep ball is exponentially better and he is getting rid of the ball more often and also making his sacks less costly (a.k.a getting back to the line at times).

tanda10506
01-13-2011, 03:22 PM
At least the O line is starting to do good. Tough task against Baltimore this week.

kirklandrules
01-13-2011, 05:51 PM
At least the O line is starting to do good. Tough task against Baltimore this week.

You are 100% right. Our O-line has shown improvement on pass protection the last few games of the season. If they can demonstrate that protection against the Ravens, this game should be a big win for the Steelers.

USWSteel
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Ben has a 7.6% sack percentage. Batch has 7.5%. Dixon is 13.5%. Leftwich is 22.2%. Indeed Ben this year has played maybe his best ever. His deep ball is exponentially better and he is getting rid of the ball more often and also making his sacks less costly (a.k.a getting back to the line at times).

His deep passes are pathetic. By far the worst part of his game. :coffee:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-14-2011, 12:12 AM

You can't even deny that he's improved by so much this year with his deep passes. It's rare that he underthrows a receiver this year. Pathetic? The 56 yard touchdown to Mike Wallace, along with countless other long bombs this year would prove you wrong. No, he's still not "great" at long throws, but he's made major strides. I think this could be attributed to holding the ball higher as well.

lionslicer
01-14-2011, 12:15 AM

Not really, they don't look pretty but he throws as far as Brady can. They come out wobbley and that does slow it down, but he works with it, he hit Wallace far down the field perfectly, even though the ball didn't look perfect, a couple times. To say they're the worst in the game is very untrue. I see quarterbacks who throw the ball deep, and it's a perfect spiral, but it's just way off target.

Ben is a Steeler, everything he does is ugly, but he wins.

Fire Arians
01-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Not really, they don't look pretty but he throws as far as Brady can. They come out wobbley and that does slow it down, but he works with it, he hit Wallace far down the field perfectly, even though the ball didn't look perfect, a couple times. To say they're the worst in the game is very untrue. I see quarterbacks who throw the ball deep, and it's a perfect spiral, but it's just way off target.

ugly play style, ugly quarterback is a winning formula for the steelers haha

USWSteel
01-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes, he's deep passes are terrible !!! You have to be joking about the underthows !!! His constantly over or under throwing open receivers, come on get real here. Most of the LONG passes to wallace have been quick slants that Wallace takes a long way... balls in the air 10 yards. That long TD to Wallace in Cleveland was get nice deep throw, his best of the year, and I cant remember any others like it from Ben this year to be honest.

plenewken
01-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes, he's deep passes are terrible !!! You have to be joking about the underthows !!! His constantly over or under throwing open receivers, come on get real here. Most of the LONG passes to wallace have been quick slants that Wallace takes a long way... balls in the air 10 yards. That long TD to Wallace in Cleveland was get nice deep throw, his best of the year, and I cant remember any others like it from Ben this year to be honest.

That's one big flaw of the passing stats. A 10 yds pass to a WR that he carries 40 yds for a TD, credits the QB for 50 yds. Plus, most of the time, the QB is the one who receives the accolades from the fans, not the WR who broke tackles and outran the secondary to get to the end zone. That's wrong.
I must admit that Ben's passing skills have improved this season though.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
That's one big flaw of the passing stats. A 10 yds pass to a WR that he carries 40 yds for a TD, credits the QB for 50 yds. Plus, most of the time, the QB is the one who receives the accolades from the fans, not the WR who broke tackles and outran the secondary to get to the end zone. That's wrong.
I must admit that Ben's passing skills have improved this season though.

And if a WR drops a pass and the defender picks it out of the air, it's on the QB. You could look at it that the QB sees the open lane or hits the WR hot so he'll have the running room necessary.

lionslicer
01-14-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm not joking, I actually pay attention to other quarterbacks lol. I didn't say Ben was great at deep throws, but he's better than a lot of quarterbacks in this league. Have you ever seen one of Mannings deep passes? they're rediculously bad, but compared to half the league's starters, its pretty good.

Steeler fans have too high of a standard for a superbowl winning quarterback...
I don't think 49er's fans complained that Montana could only thow it 40 yards...

plenewken
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
And if a WR drops a pass and the defender picks it out of the air, it's on the QB. You could look at it that the QB sees the open lane or hits the WR hot so he'll have the running room necessary.

Yes, it's another flow. Dropped passes should be on the receiver, not the guy who throws. A straight INT should be on the QB, but a ball popped in the air by the receiver and recovered by the defense shouldn't be on the QB.
Oh well ..............

plenewken
01-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not joking, I actually pay attention to other quarterbacks lol. I didn't say Ben was great at deep throws, but he's better than a lot of quarterbacks in this league. Have you ever seen one of Mannings deep passes? they're rediculously bad, but compared to half the league's starters, its pretty good.

Steeler fans have too high of a standard for a superbowl winning quarterback...
I don't think 49er's fans complained that Montana could only thow it 40 yards...

Very few passes are 40 yds in the air. Accuracy and distance don't go together.