PDA

View Full Version : Your worst pick...why you are glad...

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
What is your worst Steelers draft wish tat makes you so glad you are not part of the Steelers front office.

Be honest. Give us your worst!

Mine is Dwayne Jarrett. I just wanted a big receiver and he looked so good in college. Early in the draft I wondered if he would be gone by our pick then later I was hoping we'd trade down to get him. Instead we ended up with that loser Timmons. I was disappointed when he was taken right before our 2nd pick because I wanted him there too but instead we got that bum Lamaar Woodley.

Jarret has sucked, unable to create separation and as had 2 DUIs. He was released.

I'm glad I don't work for the FO. lol

What's your worst desire that turned out to be a bust and much worse than who the Steelers really chose?

StainlessStill
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Tons of them, haha.

After watching that PUKE of a secondary during the Tim Lewis years in 2003, I wanted us to take corner-back Dunta Robinson with our first pick of the 2004 NFL Draft with our 11th pick! Robinson went at number 10 to the Texans, and Roethlisberger was our man at # 11. The rest is history. As soon as Ben was picked, I was instantly happy for our future!

Last year though, I really would of loved to pick Toby Gerhardt with our second round pick to compliment Mendy. I fell in love with Gerhardt since he had that Bettis type style of runner and had Pittsburgh written all over him. We took Worlids, who should pan out in the long run for us!

JackHammer
01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Alex Mack. Nothing against him, but if he would have made it to us and we drafted him, we wouldn't have Pouncey.

finesward
01-13-2011, 04:29 PM
In the spirit of this week I'm gonna go with Sergio Kindle, the 11th pick in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft by the Ratturds.

Lets see... he broke his skull, has 2 dui's, and has yet to put on pads. :doh:

PhantomJB93
01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I didnt really start following the draft process closely until a couple years ago (I didnt pay attention to upcoming prospects or the college world, I just woke up the next day and would be like Ok so these are our new guys) but last year with our second pick I REALLY wanted Golden Tate or Sean Lee...Golden Tate wasn't that great for Seattle but I still think Sean Lee would have been a keeper (he was tremendous for Dallas this season)...I have faith Worilds will pan out though.

I also wanted us to take Kyle Wilson (CB) over Pouncey, obviously Pouncey worked out for the best there, although I do think if Starks and Colon hadn't been injured that said CB might be making a larger impact to the team currently thna Pouncey would have been...

finesward
01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I didnt really start following the draft process closely until a couple years ago (I didnt pay attention to upcoming prospects or the college world, I just woke up the next day and would be like Ok so these are our new guys) but last year with our second pick I REALLY wanted Golden Tate or Sean Lee...Golden Tate wasn't that great for Seattle but I still think Sean Lee would have been a keeper (he was tremendous for Dallas this season)...I have faith Worilds will pan out though.

I also wanted us to take Kyle Wilson (CB) over Pouncey, obviously Pouncey worked out for the best there, although I do think if Starks and Colon hadn't been injured that said CB might be making a larger impact to the team currently thna Pouncey would have been...

I haven't seen him much lately but I remember earlier in the season Wilson was getting torched. Maybe he's settled down since then. I wanted them to draft him as well. Was kinda surprised (although now pleasantly) when they drafted pouncey.

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2011, 04:43 PM
not bad ones but i was really pissed that they passed on mangold for holmes. i also didn't want timmons , i wanted them to trade down to the mid 20's and pick ben grubbs or justin blaylock., and get an extra 2nd rd pick...:noidea:

pete74
01-13-2011, 04:46 PM
i wanted Iupati over Pouncey. im glad Iupati went 1st and we got Pouncey now though. i know half this board wanted Wilson last year over Pouncey as well

JackHammer
01-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Nah, Pouncey really is THAT GOOD. He's as special a player at his position as any star on this roster is at theirs. He knows our ENTIRE offense as well as anyone in the whole organization, and he's known it for most of the season. He's incredibly smart and has the brawn to match it. He's gonna be a great player for a long time, granted he can stay healthy.

I would argue that his impact would have been even greater if he had both of those guys on his line. That frees him up as opposed to having to help the guys next to him more. It also would've help him, and the line as a whole, to gel early on and maintain a "healthy" core of starters.

zulater
01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I honestly don't second guess the front office after the draft, and I rarely have a favorite pick going in. Oh I'm aware of who's who, I've got ESPN Insider and can read Kiper and McShea like the rest of you. But being as I'm not part of the interview proccess, don't have the input of all the scouts, and coaches, I take a wait and see attitude, and accept what the fates bring us, having full confidence that the Steelers hiearchy will get it right way more often than most.

zulater
01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Two things I will say, I was extremely happy when the Steelers had Ben fall into their lap.

And outside of that the happiest I ever was on draft day was in 1989 when the Steelers had two first round picks. I couldn't have been happier when they got Tim Worley and Tom Ricketts. :doh: Shows what little I know, and why I no longer take myself too seriously as a draft nick.:chuckle:

cloppbeast
01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
What is your worst Steelers draft wish tat makes you so glad you are not part of the Steelers front office.

Be honest. Give us your worst!

Mine is Dwayne Jarrett. I just wanted a big receiver and he looked so good in college. Early in the draft I wondered if he would be gone by our pick then later I was hoping we'd trade down to get him. Instead we ended up with that loser Timmons. I was disappointed when he was taken right before our 2nd pick because I wanted him there too but instead we got that bum Lamaar Woodley.

Jarret has sucked, unable to create separation and as had 2 DUIs. He was released.

I'm glad I don't work for the FO. lol

What's your worst desire that turned out to be a bust and much worse than who the Steelers really chose?

I know the feeling about Jarrett. I remember feeling the same way. I was so pissed that Carolina took him right before us. There's no garuntee the Steelers would have taken him, but I had my self convinced that they would.

I think they took Woodley. Not bad.

Another one for me was that Hardy guy who played for Indiana. He was drafted by the Bills. Like most Bills, he's been essentially a royal bust. I had myself convinced that he was going to be the next Chris Carter.

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2011, 05:10 PM
I know the feeling about Jarrett. I remember feeling the same way. I was so pissed that Carolina took him right before us. There's no garuntee the Steelers would have taken him, but I had my self convinced that they would.

Another one for me was that Hardy guy who played for Indiana. He was drafted by the Bills. Like most Bills, he's been essentially a royal bust. I had myself convinced that he was going to be the next Chris Carter.
i was pretty high on james hardy myself , i still think he might be able to salvage his career on another team with a better qb.

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Tons of them, haha.

After watching that PUKE of a secondary during the Tim Lewis years in 2003, I wanted us to take corner-back Dunta Robinson with our first pick of the 2004 NFL Draft with our 11th pick! Robinson went at number 10 to the Texans, and Roethlisberger was our man at # 11. The rest is history. As soon as Ben was picked, I was instantly happy for our future!

Last year though, I really would of loved to pick Toby Gerhardt with our second round pick to compliment Mendy. I fell in love with Gerhardt since he had that Bettis type style of runner and had Pittsburgh written all over him. We took Worlids, who should pan out in the long run for us!

I can't blame you. I was feeling pretty comfortable with Maddox at the time. I was a little surprised by the Ben pick.

I see missing Ben would have been a bad FO move but Robinson and Gerhardt are probably not bad players. Did you feed into the hype of any players that turned out to be busts?

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
In the spirit of this week I'm gonna go with Sergio Kindle, the 11th pick in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft by the Ratturds.

Lets see... he broke his skull, has 2 dui's, and has yet to put on pads. :doh:

Did you want him with our first pick? Are you guys giving me real stories? lol I want real stories of players you wanted that turned out to be busts.

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Me too. I was in the Kyle Wilson camp ALL THE WAY and I was disappointed when the team chose Pouncey. I thought they were just giving in to the pressure of the fans. I so much disliked Gay that I wanted him cut. I didn't know about the McFadden trade upcoming obviously so i was worried when the Jets took Wilson. I was thinking "Greedy bastards!". I was still holding out hope that the Steelers could trade up to get him.

I was way wrong about Pouncey.

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
not bad ones but i was really pissed that they passed on mangold for holmes. i also didn't want timmons , i wanted them to trade down to the mid 20's and pick ben grubbs or justin blaylock., and get an extra 2nd rd pick...:noidea:

You guys are all wusses. Nobody is giving bad names. Some of you must have messed up on some guesses.

Daunta Robinson, Toby Gerehardt, Alex Mack, Mangold, Grubs, Blaylock, ...where are the busts?

I guess yours counts because without Holmes, we would not have won a Superbowl...lol

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Two things I will say, I was extremely happy when the Steelers had Ben fall into their lap.

And outside of that the happiest I ever was on draft day was in 1989 when the Steelers had two first round picks. I couldn't have been happier when they got Tim Worley and Tom Ricketts. :doh: Shows what little I know, and why I no longer take myself too seriously as a draft nick.:chuckle:

My favorite draft of all time was when we got Plax in 2000. I had been wishing for a big receiver EVERY year and he was who I coveted. I was nervous reading the draft rumor mill and there were some rumors that Phily might grab him. It was also clear that the Ravens needed a WR and that was a possiblity. There were some late rumors that we wanted Chad Pennington. When they announced it, I felt like I had won the lottery.

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM

God was teasing me that draft because I wouldn't have minded taking Revis then the Jets took him right before us. About Timmons I was annoyed because it had turned out he was only 6'1 (almost) instead of 6'3 like he was listed before the combine. lol

Then I wanted Jarrett and Carolina took him right before us. About Woodly, i felt we had already taken an OLB with our first pick.

Woodley was a popular 2nd pick on the board I was on and while I thought he would be good, I wanted to be different so I picked Quentin Moses as my second pick.
I gambled on Moses and Michael Bush.

So my list was something like:
Jarret, Moses, Bush, etc. etc. Gosh I suck...lol I also thought "Poz" was overrated and wouldn't be that good in the pros. lol I was wrong. He is pretty good in Buffalo.

Most people on the board I was on wanted Adam Carriker (who was supposed to be the next Aaron Smith) but Poz was probably a close second.

I had Jason hill on my list and the 49ers took him right before our 3rd pick and I was perplexed by the Spaeth pick.

SteelKnight
01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
i was pretty high on james hardy myself , i still think he might be able to salvage his career on another team with a better qb.

I'm pretty high on any big receiver. Going into the 2008 draft, Sweed was my favorite player. Imagine my excitement when we got him in round 2. I was upset when the Redskins took 2 WR so I thought he was gong to get taken right before us like in 07. Wen they announced Sweed i was so so excited.

finesward
01-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Did you want him with our first pick? Are you guys giving me real stories? lol I want real stories of players you wanted that turned out to be busts.

Not first pick but I knew he would be a 2nd round possibility. There were some good LB's in this past draft and I thought we would snatch one up, so when we got worilds I had no idea who he was. Time will tell, but already he's leaps and bounds better than kindle at this point. That guy seems like he had something wrong with his head BEFORE he fell on it

Balls of Steel
01-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I was hoping we drafted Mike Doss in the 2003 draft, instead we got one of the greatest Steelers ever. The "Polynesian Jesus" Troy Polamalu. Thank God I was wrong.

Fire Arians
01-14-2011, 12:11 AM
"why did we pick a quarterback in round 1? tommy maddox is the man...."

- lmao. how wrong I was

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Not first pick but I knew he would be a 2nd round possibility. There were some good LB's in this past draft and I thought we would snatch one up, so when we got worilds I had no idea who he was. Time will tell, but already he's leaps and bounds better than kindle at this point. That guy seems like he had something wrong with his head BEFORE he fell on it

Yeah...I like to know who the first and second round picks are so I can feel an excitement when we get them. It's part of the fun. I try to look at the top 100 players or at minimum the top 5 in each position. Either he wasn't there or I just missed him because I was like "Who?"

lionslicer
01-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Vernon Gholston... I knew the Steelers would never get him, he went high in the 1st.. but I'm glad I wasn't the GM and traded up to get him.

And I didn't want Timmons, I thought it was an Insane pick... But I'm glad it happened lol.

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 12:28 AM
In 2007 I also liked Sidney Rice ...I kept watching his "I'm a playa" video on youtube. He actually would have been good for us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyTyCnw7AH8

But I also liked Antonio Pitman after watching his video...lol "I'm a beast"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMhonqcbXv8

I think I'm a victim of catch music videos. lol

Wallace108
01-14-2011, 12:37 AM
I really wanted Chad Pennington. Although not a bust, I'm sure glad we didn't take him.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I really wanted Chad Pennington. Although not a bust, I'm sure glad we didn't take him.
:doh: i forgot all about noodle arm .... i'm guilty of that as well.. but in my defense it was more about getting rid of korkie , than pennington. hell i woulda been happy with any QB that draft , EXCEPT , Tee F'ning Martin , who was just a korkie light. other than marvel that draft sucked balls..

scroll down to round 6 and check out the names in yellow...:toofunny:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_Draft

Wallace108
01-14-2011, 01:09 AM

:rofl:

Not what I expected. :sofunny:

MattsMe
01-14-2011, 01:29 AM

It's not often you see players use their real middle names. :chuckle:

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm glad too...lol

:doh: i forgot all about noodle arm .... i'm guilty of that as well.. but in my defense it was more about getting rid of korkie , than pennington. hell i woulda been happy with any QB that draft , EXCEPT , Tee F'ning Martin , who was just a korkie light. other than marvel that draft sucked balls..

I disagree with you. Plax was a good pick. Marvel as you said was good. Kendrick Clancy would have been good had he stayed with Pitt. Clark Haggans was a serviceable starter and helped us win a Super Bowl. Some of the others were gambles that didn't pan out but were worth taking ...Danny Farmer -tall WR holding UCLA record in rec. , Hank Poteat (he did help NE win a SB and he was a starter for the Jets on occasion...not like someone who never made starter). Overall I'm pleased with the draft.

JewniorGong
01-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Chad Pennington is a great one.. Plax turned out great and a noodle arm could never succeed in our offense

That being said, I wanted Golden Tate last year..

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Chad Pennington is a great one.. Plax turned out great and a noodle arm could never succeed in our offense

That being said, I wanted Golden Tate last year..

I noticed a bunch of people were poo pooing Emmanuel Sanders and saying we should have gotten Golden Tate because he was the next Hines Ward. We got lucky with Sanders and Brown. Both might one day be more productive than Tate.

StainlessStill
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Not really a draft day pick per say, but I really wanted S Dexter Jackson (Super Bowl MVP) in '02 after his performance in the Superbowl against the Raiders. We were actually this close into signing him before he went elsewhere. We got Troy that next year!

steeltheone
01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
I noticed a bunch of people were poo pooing Emmanuel Sanders and saying we should have gotten Golden Tate because he was the next Hines Ward. We got lucky with Sanders and Brown. Both might one day be more productive than Tate.

Way to early to tell on this one.

Fire Arians
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM

well already sanders has put up better stats than tate. he doesn't one day have to be more productive than tate, he already is :)

REC 28, YDS 376, TD 2
vs
REC 21, YDS 227, TD 0

wr's out of june jones' system actually seem to do quite well in the NFL, steelers were wise to pick his best wr

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 06:47 PM
well already sanders has put up better stats than tate. he doesn't one day have to be more productive than tate, he already is :)

REC 28, YDS 376, TD 2
vs
REC 21, YDS 227, TD 0

wr's out of june jones' system actually seem to do quite well in the NFL, steelers were wise to pick his best wr

LOL I didn't even know what Tate's numbers were but I don't remember him on any highlights. Once Sanders has the #3 spot the whole year and has Ben the whole year, I expect his numbers to be almost double that plus maybe 5 or 6 TDs.

REC 48 YDS 702 TD 6

Fire Arians
01-14-2011, 06:51 PM
LOL I didn't even know what Tate's numbers were but I don't remember him on any highlights. Once Sanders has the #3 spot the whole year and has Ben the whole year, I expect his numbers to be almost double that plus maybe 5 or 6 TDs.

REC 48 YDS 702 TD 6

tbh i wouldn't be surprised if he overtook hines for the #2 spot (pretty sure we can all agree that wallace is our #1 guy now). one training camp with the starting lineup would be huge to his progress

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
tbh i wouldn't be surprised if he overtook hines for the #2 spot (pretty sure we can all agree that wallace is our #1 guy now). one training camp with the starting lineup would be huge to his progress

Yeah...I've thought about that. Ward might even retire. He is really just a slot possession receiver now anyway. The only thing is if you do that you must ALWAYS use at least 3 WR because it would be too disrespectful to have Ward on the Bench. If you have him in there, call him our #1 guy but just let Sanders take over flanker, no respect lost.

Wouldn't it be funny if BA actually tossed in a secret play where FOR ONCE WARD went deep? They could do it out of the 4WR set so maybe it would be a safety or 3rd CB on him.

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Well I must confess I was ticked when they traded up to get Troy P. Was I ever wrong or what? Then again I'm not a draft guru.

pete74
01-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Well I must confess I was ticked when they traded up to get Troy P. Was I ever wrong or what? Then again I'm not a draft guru.

your probably the only one to admit it but alot of people felt the same way

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 08:42 PM

I didn't know who he was...lol I wonder who the genius was that did that. Troy and Ben...awesome.

They did it with Holmes too. I'd like to see them be aggressive a little more often. I was scouting Holmes so that made me happy. I remember a lot of the mock Gurus had us pegged for Lendale White. Nobody knew about Jennings and the 2nd and 3rd best WRs were busts.

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I didn't know who he was...lol I wonder who the genius was that did that. Troy and Ben...awesome.

They did it with Holmes too. I'd like to see them be aggressive a little more often. I was scouting Holmes so that made me happy. I remember a lot of the mock Gurus had us pegged for Lendale White. Nobody knew about Jennings and the 2nd and 3rd best WRs were busts.

That would have been Kevin Colbert.

SteelKnight
01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
That would have been Kevin Colbert.

I know he is the GM. I guess it is a question of who pushed for him and the power structure.

The SF new hiring of Harbaugh was weird. The GM makes all the personnel decisions including who makes the final 53. That sucks. I can understand a coach not being able to cut a new high draft pick or a seasoned veteran but to strip his power like that is weak. For public face, they should have lied and said we'll make the decisions together with discussion. That's at least better.

Glad Tomlin has his say for the 53 (though I get the sense not for the draft so much).

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I know he is the GM. I guess it is a question of who pushed for him and the power structure.

The SF new hiring of Harbaugh was weird. The GM makes all the personnel decisions including who makes the final 53. That sucks. I can understand a coach not being able to cut a new high draft pick or a seasoned veteran but to strip his power like that is weak. For public face, they should have lied and said we'll make the decisions together with discussion. That's at least better.

Glad Tomlin has his say for the 53 (though I get the sense not for the draft so much).

Well I doubt it was the Rooney's since they are pretty much hands off. So that would leave Cowher. There is no one else in the Steelers power structure at that level. I suppose it could have been a scout. Perhaps this article will shed some light

Steelers' Draft: Colbert knows who to tap in draft
Monday, April 19, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Bob Donaldson / Post-Gazette
Steelers Director of Player Personnel Kevin Colbert talks about the upcomming NFL draft at a press conference Monday afternoon at the team's South Side headquarters.

Ten years ago, Kevin Colbert approached his first NFL draft with the Steelers and Bill Parcells wanted their first-round choice for the New York Jets.

It was Parcells, among the biggest names in the league, vs. the new guy in the new job with the eighth overall draft choice. Colbert was on the job only two months by the time of the draft, having replaced Tom Donahoe, who was dismissed as director of football operations after the 1999 season.

Parcells pushed and pushed, Bill Cowher remembers. And the Jets had ammo with four first-round draft choices available.

"I knew Parcells wanted him," Cowher said.

"Him" was Plaxico Burress, a 6-foot-5 1/2 wide receiver at Michigan State who looked like every quarterback's dream. In order to get him, Parcells was offering a quarterback. Even after the Steelers resisted the Jets' trade invitations before they drafted, Parcells suggested a trade later that day that would send his first draft pick, quarterback Chad Pennington, and other considerations.

Colbert and Cowher refused.

"The value was unbelievably disproportionate," Cowher said. "I was born at night but not last night."
ON THE CLOCK

The PG's preview lineup leading up to the start of the draft:

SATURDAY: What makes a great offensive lineman, a position where the Steelers rarely draft use an early pick, but a position of need for them going into the draft.

Burress and Pennington have had their moments, good and bad. Burress has been by far the better player, sometimes spectacularly so with the Steelers and Giants, where he caught the winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XLI. But he now is lodged in a jail cell in the middle of a two-year sentence on weapons charges. Pennington never fulfilled his promise, partly because he has been injured so often. The Jets released him after the 2007 season and now he must fight for his starting job with the Miami Dolphins.

Ten years after that first-round intrigue, Colbert remains the Steelers' director of football operations and is preparing for this week's draft, which takes place Thursday through Saturday. He has more time and much more experience entering this draft than he did his first one. Yet, for all his inexperience in the job back then, the Steelers' draft 10 years ago stands the test of time as a good one. And Colbert gets rave reviews from others on the job he has done the past decade.

"Petty amazing," said Cowher, who left as Steelers coach after the 2006 season. "He's done a great job. I think Kevin Colbert is one of the best at what he does.

"Kevin's got great foresight for the future, he has a great feel for that, he's a great listener and has a great feel for the game. He has an objective viewpoint. He can see things clearly and cleanly and not be swayed. He's very objective when he looks at video. And he can make an assessment whether a player is in decline or has a number of years left. Those are qualities not everybody possesses."

Others who have not worked with Colbert believe the same way as Cowher. Longtime NFL general manager Ernie Accorsi -- who held those jobs with the New York Giants, Cleveland Browns and old Baltimore Colts -- brought up Colbert's name while speaking on another topic at the past Super Bowl.

"Your guy is one of the best in the business," Accorsi said, talking about Colbert.

Why?

"They've won two Super Bowls with mostly the talent he acquired, and what he's done in the middle rounds has been exceptional."

Among Colbert's successes in those rounds or later are Ike Taylor (fourth round), Brett Keisel (seventh), Larry Foote (fourth), Chris Kemoeatu (sixth) and Willie Colon (fourth), all Super Bowl starters. William Gay (fifth) became a starter last year. Free agent rookies Colbert has signed included Chris Hoke, James Harrison and Willie Parker.

He has also never missed on a pick in the first round, never had a bust with the most valuable and costly choice in each draft. That cannot be said of any previous decade of the Steelers, dating back to when Chuck Noll arrived in 1969 (although they missed on only one in the 1970s, running back Greg Hawthorne).

"Kevin has done a great job," said longtime NFL scout Tom Marino. "He's not the typical guy, he's an old-school general manager, not one of the new-type GMs who are all basically cap guys. He's a football guy. He has a scouting background, which really helps him."

Colbert, a North Catholic High and Robert Morris College graduate, coached several sports in college briefly before going to work for the Blesto scouting combine for a year. He scouted college players for the Miami Dolphins for five years and served as the Detroit Lions pro scouting director for 10 before the Steelers hired him.

He had to quickly become familiar with college talent in just two months after joining the Steelers.

"He walked into a situation late and we were replacing a guy, Tom Donahoe, who had been with us for a long time, and just the year before we lost Tom Modrak," Cowher said, the latter having left as the Steelers college personnel coordinator to become general manager of the Philadelphia Eagles.

"Kevin really did a good job being a good listener. A lot of the work was done, a lot of reports were in. He did a good job of trying to implement a board we all could understand. He didn't try to change the whole grading thing; it would have been too much to overhaul in a short time."

Colbert and Cowher decided to travel together to player workouts in those two months, which served a dual purpose.

"We were traveling together, getting to know each other," Cowher said. "It is so important for that guy to know what type of players we were looking for in the thirty-four defense and what our offensive philosophy was."

Ten years ago this month, it all came together in Colbert's first draft. After resisting Parcells and the Jets, the Steelers selected Burress with the first pick. With their second, they chose Marvel Smith, their only Pro Bowl left tackle since the NFL-AFL merger. Their two third-round picks, defensive lineman Kendrick Clancy and cornerback Hank Poteat, never became regular starters with the Steelers but were still playing in the NFL in their 10th seasons. Fourth-round pick Danny Farmer was a quick washout at receiver, but fifth-rounder Clark Haggans became a starting outside linebacker.

That's not a bad draft for anyone at any time, and it helped the Steelers turn the corner after two consecutive losing seasons heading into that draft. One season later, they reached their first of four AFC championship games of the decade.

"That's an impressive group of players," said Rob Rang, senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com. "Marvel Smith and Clark Haggans are the two that jump out at me.

"With Plaxico Burress' problems aside now, he was a spectacular player at times with the Steelers. To take him where they did and still address more traditional football concerns with the tackle and linebacker in the later rounds shows the depth of the Steelers' scouting and Colbert's in particular. We've seen the linebacker and offensive tackle positions rise in importance since 2000. He was able to find them back then."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10109/1051622-66.stm#ixzz1B4C9By6x

ETL
01-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Picks I were right about: roethlisbergers, burress, polamalu, pouncey

Other drafts I got wrong: I didn't know who Casey Hampton was and wondered why we were picking him so high. One really memorable draft dud that I really wanted was Rae Carruth. Doh!

KeiselPower99
01-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I wanted Mangold over Holmes. And I would like to have had Owen Schmitt instead of Dennis Dixon