PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Defensive Coordinator: Ray Horton A Possibility

mesaSteeler
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Cowboys Defensive Coordinator: Ray Horton A Possibility
http://dallas.sbnation.com/dallas-cowboys/2011/1/13/1933499/cowboys-defensive-coordinator-ray-horton-a-possibility
by JP Starkey Jan 13, 2011 3:41 PM CST

The current Pittsburgh Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton has emerged as a candidate for the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator position according to the Dallas Morning News, which cites the infamous "NFL source."

Horton played 10 years in the NFL, including a four-season stint (1989-92) with the Cowboys. He has been an NFL assistant coach for 17 years, including the last seven years with the Steelers. Horton worked for well-regarded defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau with Cincinnati and re-joined him with the Steelers in 2004.

The Steelers secondary has been pretty good this year, holding opponents to 214 yards per game passing. The Pittsburgh defense, of course, ranks first against the run.

Since the Steelers are still in the playoffs, Dallas cannot formally interview Horton for the position.

As the Dallas Morning News says, other candidates include Vic Fangio, Greg Manusky and Paul Pasqualoni. Hopefully Garrett and the Cowboys make a decision quickly so they can move on cohesively with an offseason personnel plan.

stlrtruck
01-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I thought Horton was in line to take over for LeBeau when he retires?

Merchant
01-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I thought Horton was in line to take over for LeBeau when he retires?

Pretty sure that was Keith Butler.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2011, 09:45 PM
If Horton gets the Dallas DC job Troy should get a cut of any signing bonus

After the secondary crashed without Troy in 2009 Gerry Dulac of the P-G stated Horton might be fired

But I'm also hearing that secondary coach Ray Horton won't be retained by Tomlin and is pursuing other coaching jobs, even though the Steelers have not announced that Horton is fired

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/gerry-dulac-chat/4464-tomlin-not-done-with-changes

Of course Jerry Jones might be floating Horton's name as a diversity "candidate" after he got some heat for allegedly complying with the Rooney Rule by "interviewing" Ray Sherman for the HC job Jason Garrett received, after which Sherman was fired

stlrtruck
01-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Pretty sure that was Keith Butler.

Oh yeah, right. Thanks, I knew it was one of the coaches.

NJarhead
01-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I wonder if Rod would ever consider coaching our secondary?