PDA

View Full Version : Arrington a Giant...

BB2W
04-22-2006, 11:55 AM
The Giants and former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington have reached an agreement in principle on a seven-year deal worth $49 million.

Five teams had been in the running for Arrington, but the Giants took a significant step toward getting a deal done Thursday. After Arrington took and passed a physical Thursday, negotiations turned serious and had been ongoing for more than 24 hours.

The Packers, Jaguars, Dolphins and Bengals had also been in the mix. Arrington's agent, Carl Poston, said the Jaguars and Packers made progress with their offers Friday, but the Giants took the lead Friday.

Arrington had hoped to stay in the NFC East in order to play the Redskins two times a year.

"Antonio Pierce really made a push to get the Giants to bring LaVar to New York," Poston said Friday. "It's a good fit. It would be great to have LaVar in the New York market."

Pierce left the Redskins after the 2004 season and was an instant star in the Giants defense.

The Dolphins had a $5 million a year offer on the table. Arrington was hoping to get a deal in the $7.5 million a year range.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2417903

tony hipchest
04-22-2006, 12:08 PM
well if the steelers had any hope of of a lb like carpenter or greenway slipping to them, the giants signing lavar definitely helps.

BB2W
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Lavar was one of my favorite players at Penn State so I wish him luck in New York. Hopefully he does well and gets along with Tom Coughlin.

tony hipchest
04-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Lavar was one of my favorite players at Penn State so I wish him luck in New York. Hopefully he does well and gets along with Tom Coughlin. yeah, mine too. one of my cousins played football with his younger brother at north hills? i believe, and after lavar was a redskin he would come back to watch a game. he said he was real cool with all the team at his old school. i will pull for him as a giant. just glad hes not a bunghole or a jagoff.

BB2W
04-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Lavar is gonna be #55 in New York.

link: http://www.giants.com/team/giants_roster.html

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah, for the "Bobby Carpenter Watchers", this helps.

Ambridge
04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm not an Arrington fan but if he helps take out Snyder and the Redskins twice a year and makes Danny eat a lot of spent cash then maybe I could change my mind.

MasterOfPuppets
04-22-2006, 07:43 PM
seems kinda pricey if you ask me.....what has arrington doe thus far that warrents 7 million a year???

boLT fan
04-22-2006, 07:44 PM
seems kinda pricey if you ask me.....what has arrington doe thus far that warrents 7 million a year???

Pretty much forced Aikamn to retire. :bouncy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BynBZNiE9EA&search=LaVar

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Arrington typifies the new "Gun for hire" mentality of some (not all) NFL players. I can't identify where it started, but Reggie White from major market to minor market was one of the steps.

Look at Jeff Garcia. He overachieved with a talented team (and he came from the CFL), then got greedy and played the FA game. He was a 49er, then a Brown, then a Lion, and he's now an Eagle, all the while underperforming and signing contracts with multiple zero's most of us will never see.

SteelCityMan786
04-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Lavar was one of my favorite players at Penn State so I wish him luck in New York. Hopefully he does well and gets along with Tom Coughlin.

Yes Lavar was mine to. Watching him pound Rutherford in the Pitt Game Of 99. Wow. Brings Back Some Memories of PSU past before the great Big Ten Championship Run Of Last Season

SteelShooter
04-23-2006, 02:30 AM
I kinda hope he makes "Moneybags A.R.E." remember that he must still perform (and get the crud nailed out of him) twice a year.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Maybe he and Plax can sit around bitching about all the money they've lost before they signed with the Giants. :blah:

clevestinks
04-23-2006, 07:19 PM
ditto, glad he isnt in the afc

83-Steelers-43
04-24-2006, 02:17 PM
For what it's worth.......

Steelers | Team had shot at Arrington?
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 18:28:13 -0700

Howard Bryant, of the Washington Post, reports sources said New York Giants LB LaVar Arrington could have landed with his hometown Pittsburgh Steelers had he been willing to accept dramatically less money.