PDA

View Full Version : Looking inside the numbers

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 08:34 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Looking inside the numbers

Many guys who cover the National Football League don't take a lot of stock in what's reported on internet sites, particularly some of the "stat-drive" sites.

But there are a couple that I follow pretty closely.

The first is linked to on this site, 4for4.com, which, in my opinion, is the best fantasy football site out there. Greg Alan, the site's founder, has computer programs that more often than not nail a player's production within a few yards. It's amazing.

ColdHardFootballFacts.com is another site I pay attention to.

And that's why, despite Baltimore's dismantling of Kansas City last week, a closer look at the Ravens' numbers this season show a team that's ripe for picking by the Steelers.

In the site's Quality stats, which measure a team's strength, the Steelers are tops among playoff teams - thanks to New England's bad defense - while the Ravens ranked fourth.

Kansas City ranked ahead of just Seattle, Indianapolis and New Orleans in those rankings.

It's no surprise that three of those four teams lost last weekend, with the one victory, Seattle over New Orleans, coming because somebody had to win.

And for those who think the Steelers' offense line will be the weak link in this game, in the site's Offensive Hog stats, which measure the effectiveness of a team's offensive line, the Steelers were a respectable 14th in the league, their worst ranking in any category.

Baltimore's offensive line? It finished the season ranked 22nd.

Given the fact the Steelers are at home, everything adds up to a Pittsburgh victory.