PDA

View Full Version : Amid the black and yellow, a Ravens fan endures and fights for the cause

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Amid the black and yellow, a Ravens fan endures and fights for the cause
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-01-14/sports/bs-sp-ravens-steelers-border-town011420110111_1_ravens-m-t-bank-stadium-steelers-pride
Halfway between Pittsburgh and Baltimore, the Steelers are king — except in one classroom
January 14, 2011|By Candus Thomson, The Baltimore Sun

(Of course I don't totally believe this article. This Candus clown hasn't yet figured out that our colors are black and GOLD! - mesa)

BEDFORD, Pa.—The Steel Curtain that hangs across this section of the Keystone State is sturdy and true. To the south and east live the flocks that take comfort in Ravens and Eagles. To the far west, color football happiness and loyalty Cleveland brown.

Despite being at about the halfway point between Baltimore and Pittsburgh, this town of 3,100 that knows a thing or two about ugly border conflicts has pledged its allegiance to the boys in black and gold.

But there is a tiny rip in the Steel Curtain, a hint at an insurrection that started with one and is growing. Few will talk about it. It's only after hours of poking and prodding, walking the streets and asking at places such as HeBrews Coffee Co. and Hoke-E-Geez indoor flea market that the truth trickles out.

There she is, at Bedford Elementary School, in shades of purple, a Ravens sticker on her desk: Lisa Gerber, second-grade teacher and Ravens season ticket holder who travels 2 hours to M&T Bank Stadium "to watch the Ravens win."

"This is the roughest place to be this week," she confides, surrounded by her students. "It feels so lonely." (poor little ratbird. - mesa)

She envies Ravens fans in the Baltimore area who wear their purple passion on their sleeves and keeps a picture of the Bromo Tower bathed in violet light on her computer.

So one by one, she's converting her charges. Seven out of 19 so far. It hasn't been easy.

Take Kalli Taylor. When she told her grandfather that her teacher was a Ravens fan, he replied, "Is she ill?":sofunny::sofunny:

But Kalli has seen the purple light. Come game time, she'll be rooting for the team from Baltimore. (Grandpa is going to have to his granddaughter in hand. - mesa)

With apologies to Ray Lewis, Bedford County protects its house. During the playoffs, waitresses at a local steakhouse make Steelers jerseys part of their work uniform. Before games, schools have Steelers Pride days featuring plenty of team colors. Banners hang everywhere and one teacher named his dogs Bradshaw and Lambert after Hall of Famers Terry and Jack.

Some Bedford area residents say that, while they admire the Ravens' grit and blue-collar work ethic that rivals their Steelers, well, Pittsburgh got there first. The team joined the NFL in 1933 while the Ravens are relative newcomers to the scene, popping up six decades later.

"The Rooney family built the Steelers tradition. There's no reason to look elsewhere," says Everett High School football coach Tom Waltman, adding he would "go nuts," if his team ever packed up its stuff in a moving van and left for another city.

Third Rail
01-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Boo f***ing hoo. Move to Baltimore if you love it so much or shut the f*** up.

grward
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Boo f***ing hoo. Move to Baltimore if you love it so much or shut the f*** up.

Wow! A little over-stated, don't you think? LOL! Or is it all the pent-up frustration of waiting for the game? If that's the case, I completely understand. I can't wait either!

billym99
01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I can feel her pain.. I'm a Steelers fan stuck in the armpit that is Baltimore for career reasons. And yes, I envy people in the 'Burgh every time I am back there for a game or to visit.

Probably much easier to live in Bmore as a Steelers fan then near Pittsburgh as a Ravens fan. Very strong Steelers following down here.

Good news is I'm leaving here in about 2 hours to head to Pittsburgh for the weekend!

SteelCityMom
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Is it tomorrow yet!!! ARRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Is it tomorrow yet!!! ARRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!.

I know i will need some sleep aid to sleep tonight

Buddha Bus
01-14-2011, 02:40 PM
I can feel her pain.. I'm a Steelers fan stuck in the armpit that is Baltimore for career reasons. And yes, I envy people in the 'Burgh every time I am back there for a game or to visit.

Probably much easier to live in Bmore as a Steelers fan then near Pittsburgh as a Ravens fan. Very strong Steelers following down here.

Good news is I'm leaving here in about 2 hours to head to Pittsburgh for the weekend!

I'm right there with you, buddy. I live just across the state line in PA about an hour from Baltimore. It's definitely Ravens country here with a smattering of Black and Gold. I worked in Maryland all my life and have had to deal with Ravens fans all the time.

I LOVE being the villain in the area and letting them run their mouths (which they do plenty of!). I went to the game in Baltimore this year and was berated the entire game. I mostly kept my mouth shut and smiled, even when things looked grim. Let's just say the biggest mouths left first and didn't stick around for their comeuppance at the end. It was a quiet, satisfying walk out of that stadium. :chuckle: