PDA

View Full Version : 50 worst thing to ruin music...

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Another list.

http://music.aol.com/home/blender/rock-6

Here are a few excerpts:

#50 Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band-Has any record's influence upon music proved so malignant? Concept albums, progressive rock, Brian Wilson's nervous breakdown, baby boomers yammering away about the Summer of Love, musicians taking themselves more seriously than cancer surgeons -- all the Beatles' fault. And is there anyone alive who hasn't suffered a collapse of the will to live during 'When I'm Sixty-Four'?

#23 Woodstock '99-
The lineup was bad enough -- a lame attempt at multi-culti harmony mixing patchouli-soaked pied pipers (RUSTED ROOT) with brain-dead alpha males (INSANE CLOWN POSSE). When the event got going, the second sequel to the Summer of Love quickly degenerated into an ugly free-for-all of sexual assault, arson, ODs -- and $6 pizza slices. No wonder those ATMs were looted.

#35 Van Halen Fires Diamond Dave
#34 Van Halen Hires Sammy Hagar
#33 Van Halen Fires Sammy Hagar
#32 Van Halen hires Gary Cherone

#12 Kevin Federline

3 to be 4
04-22-2006, 06:40 PM
cant agree with #50 and #23 ( maybe cuz im older) but the rest of it was pretty good.

tony hipchest
04-22-2006, 07:09 PM
cant agree with #50 and #23 ( maybe cuz im older) but the rest of it was pretty good.not the 60's woodstock. 1999 (it was lame)

great list.

my favorite is #15 (i can relate on several different levels)

First, record companies made everyone rebuy their entire collections on newfangled "compact discs," promising sonic superiority and virtual indestructibility. Despite obvious drawbacks -- ever try to separate seeds and stems on a jewel case? -- everyone ponied up anyway. Then, once this digital format became the very means by which music could be ripped and distributed for free, these same companies cried poor. Boo. Hoo. #13 "light aircraft" was funny.

"neverland ranch" and "whitey" - classic

3 to be 4
04-22-2006, 07:12 PM
a thousand pardons!!!! i read too fast. #23 WAS bogus. i thought it was referring to the original woodstock. You see, i AM senile sometimes.

MattsMe
04-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Good list. Can't say I disagree with #50, as concept albums have usually proved damaging to both artist and listener. But Sgt. Pepper was a great album! Exception that proves the rule maybe.

Kept waiting for #1 to appear. Glad to see they put it in the right spot. It's not really the kids today though. It's the fact that the audience for popular music has gradually grown younger over the years, and that is the number one reason music today is the way it is.

HburgXL06
04-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Problem is record companies are pushin artists past makin poetry and makin music and instead towards a commercial platform sayin the same shit to make money. I agree there are too many kids out there that don't know what the f*ck they are doin when it comes to how they, dress, act, listen to music. It becomes just because they listen to somethin on the radio they can just become that type of person and know more about it than anyone else. It's those types of kids that make people call me a "wigger" left and right. Let the music be natural once again and let music flow like it once did. Peace.

BuFu

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I think IFC or Sundance is running a documentary by Rosanne Arquette where she interviews 50 icons of rock concerning the "state of the art"( I think it's titled "All We Are Saying"), and they all pretty much agree that the almighty dollar and horrible things like Brittany Spears and Back Street Boys are destroying music as we know it.

beSteelmyheart
04-23-2006, 06:12 PM
#1 appealed to me the most.
We used to go to the local radio shack after school with our books & steal 45s by slipping them inside the books..such bad girls!

steelerdude
04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
They left off the most important one: MTV. MTV single-handedly destroyed music as we know it by promoting style over substance.

Ambridge
04-24-2006, 09:25 AM
#41 Melisma/Celine Dion

Should have been rated much higher.

Hammer67
04-26-2006, 06:55 AM
They left off the most important one: MTV. MTV single-handedly destroyed music as we know it by promoting style over substance.

I just couldn't agree more. MTV has sucked the life out of music over the past 15-20 years. And it doens't even play music!!!!

Let's not forget they helped start this GOD AWFUL reality TV craze with that Real World crap. :dang:

Dumbed down music...now dumbing down TV as well!!!

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Dumbed down music...now dumbing down TV as well!!!

While also dumbing down the youth.