PDA

View Full Version : Boy sent home from school for wearing Steelers jersey

mcg24
01-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Pretty sad news story...what is this country coming to? Check out the article.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/113614384.html

I actually called the middle school to ask them what they were thinking at 253.571.5600 (Phone), and they hung up on me hahaha! What a disgrace. STEELER NATION! :tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

plenewken
01-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Here is the email address of the Superintendent of this school.
I'm going to send him an email and think all of us should do the same. LOL

ajarvis@tacoma.k12.wa.us

Steelboy84
01-14-2011, 05:41 PM
"saying his choice of clothing was inappropriate - and that Seahawks shirts or colors were the only exception allowed outside the uniform school's normal strict dress code."

What an (insert bad word here) joke

mcg24
01-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Here is the email address of the Superintendent of this school.
I'm going to send him an email and think all of us should do the same. LOL

ajarvis@tacoma.k12.wa.us

Thanks for the address. Make sure to give the school a quick call too please, it won't take but 30 seconds of your time and I could tell they are already pissed off. They know they made a huge mistake when someone from Wisconsin calls their school to complain LOL!

plenewken
01-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the address. Make sure to give the school a quick call too please, it won't take but 30 seconds of your time and I could tell they are already pissed off. They know they made a huge mistake when someone from Wisconsin calls their school to complain LOL!

I emailed him saying that I was outraged and I was hoping that the US Dept of Education will take appropriate measures against this unacceptable decision.

mcg24
01-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I emailed him saying that I was outraged and I was hoping that the US Dept of Education will take appropriate measures against this unacceptable decision.

Haha, apparently this happened last year too. A kid wore a Colts jersey to Saints Appreciation Day in New Orleans and got booted from school. People who take themselves that seriously are dangerous people.

SteelWolf62
01-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the address! Just fired off my two cents. Think they still have a little chub because they lost the SuperBowl? I agree 24, not only are they dangerous, but life is too short to be this serious. Crazy stuff.

Wonder if the Dad showed up in his Steelers gear to pick him up?

lionslicer
01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
If I could get sent home from school when I was 13 for doing this, I'd do it every week lol. Though I don't blame the school for doing this, they have a strict uniform policy except for Friday's before Seahawk games, where people can wear a combination or atleast one of the Seahawk colors.
They could have just told him to take it off though.

:twocents:

Merchant
01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Oh shit, they mad..

Fire Arians
01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh shit, they mad..

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAqcmVH0DczTTPTZbGQwGMoUx_sfniy kVWI0pwvUhN0L6gs91RNA

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9LBzWis2--fiw4IIeV_bub-vX9XjngSPUhGss_fxqPV-bNF5L

fer522
01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
bet you butts im gonna be calling and emailing them all week next week 'til they call the cops on my ass :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

JewniorGong
01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I swear.. I erupted in laughter into the phone with my girl the minute I saw "Seahawks appreciation day" .. What a great article.. thanks for the laugh LOL

KitsapSteve
01-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for posting this I just saw it on the news,,, Typical Seattle Fans, The KOMO report made it to facebook and some of the comments are unreal..."Stone Him, take him in the parking lot to get beat up, Some jerk even posted get a rope for the kid...Let see Choose Seahawk Puck colors or Black and Gold... easy Choice...Black and Gold...They still havent got over the Super Bowl LOSS...

davidtrout
01-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Here's the email i sent with the subject line "Have a nice day!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Count them!!!!!
Super Bowl IX
Steelers 16, Minnesota Vikings 6
Tulane Stadium, New Orleans, Louisiana
January 12, 1975; Attendance: 80,997

Super Bowl X
Steelers 21, Dallas Cowboys 17
Orange Bowl, Miami, Florida
January 18, 1976; Attendance: 80,187

Super Bowl XIII
Steelers 35, Dallas Cowboys 31
Orange Bowl, Miami, Florida
January 21, 1979; Attendance: 79,484

Super Bowl XIV
Steelers 31, Los Angeles Rams 19
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California
January 20, 1980; Attendance: 103,985

Remember this one?Open-mouth smileOpen-mouth smileOpen-mouth smileOpen-mouth smileOpen-mouth smileOpen-mouth smileMy personal favorite
Super Bowl XL
Steelers 21, Seattle Seahawks 10
Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan
February 5, 2006; Attendance: 68,206

Super Bowl XLIII
Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 23
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
February 1, 2009; Attendance: 70,774

steelers33
01-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Lol yea I'm from Wisconsin too, and I made them now that Steeler Nation accross the country has the kids back! What part of Wisconsin are you from by the way.

Wallace108
01-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

The Seahawks are their home team, and there's nothing wrong with showing pride for your team. What if this was a story out of Pittsburgh and a kid got sent home for wearing a Ravens jersey after being told beforehand that he couldn't wear it? Would you all be calling the school and sending e-mails over this "injustice"? :noidea:

RavensFan20
01-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

The Seahawks are their home team, and there's nothing wrong with showing pride for your team. What if this was a story out of Pittsburgh and a kid got sent home for wearing a Ravens jersey after being told beforehand that he couldn't wear it? Would you all be calling the school and sending e-mails over this "injustice"? :noidea:

I would guess the difference is the Ravens play the Steelers and the Seahawks dont even play the Steelers.

Also, if this is a public school cant kids wear what they want?

I would hope the child's mom would send a long letter to the principal.

Wallace108
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I would guess the difference is the Ravens play the Steelers and the Seahawks dont even play the Steelers.

Also, if this is a public school cant kids wear what they want?

I would hope the child's mom would send a long letter to the principal.

I don't think there's any anti-Steelers sentiment here. I'm sure the kid would have been sent home regardless of what jersey he wore, unless it was a Seahawks jersey.

A lot of public schools have dress codes now. At my son's school, they're not allowed to wear a shirt if it has any kind of graphic on it ... unless, of course, it's a graphic featuring the school's name or mascot. If he was to show up wearing a shirt featuring the mascot of any other school in the area, he'd be disciplined. It's all about pride in your school or community. I see no difference in what happened to the kid in Washington.

Deserei90
01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I never seen anyone act like this towards a student. I remember in HS, On Fridays, They would have Black & Gold friday for the Steelers. I remember seeing a boy wearing a Bengals Jersey and I don't recall anyone sending him home for wearing a Bengals jersey. If anything they didn't give a damn lol. I think the difference between this is, Seattle fans are still bitter about Sb XL. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case to send him home. That's total discrimination. He should be able to wear what color jersey his team is. But sending him home for wearing Steelers Jersey? It's stupid! And if your on facebook, you should see the crap they give this boy for wearing that jersey. The comments are outrageous. Smh

ricardisimo
01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think there's any anti-Steelers sentiment here. I'm sure the kid would have been sent home regardless of what jersey he wore, unless it was a Seahawks jersey.

A lot of public schools have dress codes now. At my son's school, they're not allowed to wear a shirt if it has any kind of graphic on it ... unless, of course, it's a graphic featuring the school's name or mascot. If he was to show up wearing a shirt featuring the mascot of any other school in the area, he'd be disciplined. It's all about pride in your school or community. I see no difference in what happened to the kid in Washington.
Exactly. And they have various sorts of exceptions throughout the year... Pajama Day, Halloween, Jeans Day, Cross-Dressing Day (we're at a very progressive elementary school) where you either follow the usual dress code, or go with the exception being given to you. If the exception was the local team's jersey, your choice is clear: Seahawks shirt or the usual uniform.

Wallace108
01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Exactly. And they have various sorts of exceptions throughout the year... Pajama Day, Halloween, Jeans Day, Cross-Dressing Day (we're at a very progressive elementary school) where you either follow the usual dress code, or go with the exception being given to you. If the exception was the local team's jersey, your choice is clear: Seahawks shirt or the usual uniform.

Ric is spot on. If this same school was having a Pajama Day, your choice is to either wear pajamas or follow the regular dress code. If a student came in wearing a Seahawks jersey on Pajama Day, he/she would receive the same treatment as the kid who wore the Steelers jersey.

If you don't agree with the rules, then fight to have the rules changed. But you can't pick and choose which rules you're going to follow and which rules you're going to ignore. Well, you can ... but there will be consequences.

steeltheone
01-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Ric is spot on. If this same school was having a Pajama Day, your choice is to either wear pajamas or follow the regular dress code. If a student came in wearing a Seahawks jersey on Pajama Day, he/she would receive the same treatment as the kid who wore the Steelers jersey.

If you don't agree with the rules, then fight to have the rules changed. But you can't pick and choose which rules you're going to follow and which rules you're going to ignore. Well, you can ... but there will be consequences.

Exactly.... He knew the rules.....He intensionally broke them.....Nothing personal againts the Steelers

mcg24
01-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Lol yea I'm from Wisconsin too, and I made them now that Steeler Nation accross the country has the kids back! What part of Wisconsin are you from by the way.

About 30 minutes south of Green Bay.

mcg24
01-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Dude, not to be rude...but those of you saying "ohh he knew the rule you only have one choice and that's to wear the Seahawks jersey"...take that huge stick out of your ass. Seriously? This isn't a prison (it seems like it), but it isn't. Do people have nothing more to worry about than RULES these days? STUPID rules?

My father fought in the Pacific in WWII. He had his right arm and left ear blown off by shrapnel, and waited in No man's land for 4 hours until it was finally safe for someone to come out and get him. He never complained about it. But we have people bitching and moaning because a kid wore the wrong jersey to school on purpose (what a terrible crime), and then we also have people defending them? Is that some kind of joke?

Apparently those of you that follow the rules, you would have been thrilled to wear your uniform on Friday. You get to watch all of your friends wear their Seahawks jerseys, but uh oh, since you aren't a Seahawks fan, too bad for you. I don't know about you folks, but that's not how I do things. If its Seahawks day, or Cowboys day, or whatever the hell you wanna call it day, I will wear my damn Steelers jersey no matter what the rule is.

When people take their lives and jobs so seriously that they are going to kick a kid out of school where he is required by law to be to get an education, man, you have a SERIOUS problem.

JackHammer
01-15-2011, 02:05 AM
I never seen anyone act like this towards a student. I remember in HS, On Fridays, They would have Black & Gold friday for the Steelers. I remember seeing a boy wearing a Bengals Jersey and I don't recall anyone sending him home for wearing a Bengals jersey. If anything they didn't give a damn lol. I think the difference between this is, Seattle fans are still bitter about Sb XL. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case to send him home. That's total discrimination. He should be able to wear what color jersey his team is. But sending him home for wearing Steelers Jersey? It's stupid! And if your on facebook, you should see the crap they give this boy for wearing that jersey. The comments are outrageous. Smh

Yeah, we had a couple people at my school like that. One was a Browns fan, apparently had a lot of family in Cleveland(sad story haha), another was a Bears fan. They never got sent home, but we talked shit on them all day lol. All in good fun though. Sending a kid home over it is really being a POOR SPORT. Ironically, in related news, Sea Hawk fans excel in poor sportsmanship.

Wallace108
01-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Dude, not to be rude...but those of you saying "ohh he knew the rule you only have one choice and that's to wear the Seahawks jersey"...take that huge stick out of your ass. Seriously? This isn't a prison (it seems like it), but it isn't. Do people have nothing more to worry about than RULES these days? STUPID rules?

My father fought in the Pacific in WWII. He had his right arm and left ear blown off by shrapnel, and waited in No man's land for 4 hours until it was finally safe for someone to come out and get him. He never complained about it. But we have people bitching and moaning because a kid wore the wrong jersey to school on purpose (what a terrible crime), and then we also have people defending them? Is that some kind of joke?

Apparently those of you that follow the rules, you would have been thrilled to wear your uniform on Friday. You get to watch all of your friends wear their Seahawks jerseys, but uh oh, since you aren't a Seahawks fan, too bad for you. I don't know about you folks, but that's not how I do things. If its Seahawks day, or Cowboys day, or whatever the hell you wanna call it day, I will wear my damn Steelers jersey no matter what the rule is.

When people take their lives and jobs so seriously that they are going to kick a kid out of school where he is required by law to be to get an education, man, you have a SERIOUS problem.
mcg24, I understand your argument, but you're arguing from an emotional standpoint. You make it sound like following rules is a bad thing. Kids think they can do whatever they want to do and there's no repercussions. Back when I was in school, if I broke the rules and got into trouble, not only did I have to face the music at school, but my dad would kick my ass when I got home.

The message here isn't just about whether the kid should have been allowed to wear his Steelers jersey. It's about respecting authority and following the rules. Even as an adult, there are rules I disagree with. But I have to follow them. If I don't, then I get into trouble. What kind of message does it send to a kid when you tell him, "F**k the rules ... do whatever you want?"

mcg24
01-15-2011, 03:22 AM
mcg24, I understand your argument, but you're arguing from an emotional standpoint. You make it sound like following rules is a bad thing. Kids think they can do whatever they want to do and there's no repercussions. Back when I was in school, if I broke the rules and got into trouble, not only did I have to face the music at school, but my dad would kick my ass when I got home.

The message here isn't just about whether the kid should have been allowed to wear his Steelers jersey. It's about respecting authority and following the rules. Even as an adult, there are rules I disagree with. But I have to follow them. If I don't, then I get into trouble. What kind of message does it send to a kid when you tell him, "F**k the rules ... do whatever you want?"

"Kids think they can do whatever they want to do and there's no repercussions."

Or maybe they don't understand the rules or don't agree with them so they don't care about the repercussions.

"Back when I was in school, if I broke the rules and got into trouble,"

One word sums that up. Trouble. You should never get into trouble for wearing a shirt that is not revealing or offensive to anyone. I don't care what the "dress code" is.

"It's about respecting authority and following the rules."

I'm sorry, but I only respect authority that I believe deserves to be respected. These school authorities in Seattle seem like total tools, and I would not give them the least amount of respect.

"Even as an adult, there are rules I disagree with. But I have to follow them."

No you don't, you choose to follow them. As long as I know I am not offending someone that I respect or care about, I will never follow a rule I disagree with.

"What kind of message does it send to a kid when you tell him, "F**k the rules ... do whatever you want?"

The kid is wearing a Steelers jersey because he is a Steelers fan rather than a Seahawks fan. He is not wearing a man thong and a Swastika T-Shirt. But you know what, since you bring up that point, if I see a rule to be completely ridiculous and unnecessary, I will be the first person to tell a kid "F*ck this rule, you won't be getting any punishment from me if you break it." Well, I probably wouldn't drop the F bomb, but you catch my drift.

CaliStillersFan
01-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Smart kid with a smart father, he showed his kid how to get out of school the Friday before the big time. :)

steeltheone
01-15-2011, 05:11 AM
So if your boss at work orders you to wear a company polo on friday if you have one, if not, suit and tie like normal. You wear your steeler polo. That is not following the rules.

Third Rail
01-15-2011, 05:26 AM
The Seahawks' presence in the playoffs is inappropriate.

BURNSY
01-15-2011, 07:54 AM
So if your boss at work orders you to wear a company polo on friday if you have one, if not, suit and tie like normal. You wear your steeler polo. That is not following the rules.

In any place you work, the polo shirt would not be "color" restricted .... as long as its a polo shirt. The school is wrong to the extent that it is sending mixed messages. What exactly was the message put out to the kids the day leading up to this? Was it made clear that "only" Seahawks apparel is allowed? Why leave that interpretation to the kids? In todays world of "equal rights" and so on .... the school should have made it a "jersey" day if anything for the students to where what jersey they wanted. It is borderline discrimination what the school did. Not alot of thought was put into it. I personally would be offended, and file a complaint with my HR dept at my job if I was allowed to wear a polo shirt (instead) of a shirt and tie, but then be told before or after that there are restrictions on colors. Was the kid in the wrong for wearing a non Seahawks jersey? Dont know ... Its all about interpretation and consistency across the board. The school (regardless of how clear/unclear the rules were), was wrong for sending him home. They should have no longer allowed "jersey days" going forward. You cannot "single out" kids like that and make an example out of them over trivial stuff!

plenewken
01-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Interesting conversation.

I haven't received a response from the Superintendent yet and I don't expect to. He's probably been flooded with 000s of emails, now that the news is in he newspapers nationwide. LOL

As for the poster who asked what would happen here if one of our schools had a Steelers jersey day and a kid showed up with a Ravens jersey.
I'd say an idiot Superintendent would send the kid back home and a smart one wouldn't do anything.

huntingteacher
01-15-2011, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=lionslicer;893119]If I could get sent home from school when I was 13 for doing this, I'd do it every week lol. Though I don't blame the school for doing this, they have a strict uniform policy except for Friday's before Seahawk games, where people can wear a combination or atleast one of the Seahawk colors.
They could have just told him to take it off though.

:twocents:[/QUOT
I think the rule should never have been made. Not obeying unfair rules is very American!!!
I sent the Super an email too. They are teaching kids to obey and conform or else your not one of us.

huntingteacher
01-15-2011, 09:02 AM

So if it was Disney Pajama days and the kid wore his Bugs Bunny Pajamas, he or she should get the boot??? :noidea:

FanSince72
01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
OK, let's play Devil's advocate for a moment.

I clicked on the "Dress Code" link in the article and the Truman School seems to have a very specific and somewhat rigid dress code and it is part and parcel of their normal operation. In fact, the phrase "Truman approved" appears quite often throughout this code.

On this particular day, the students were given an option; either wear Seahawks colors or neutral colors from an approved list. So in effect, the recommended clothing choices were simply an extension of their dress code.

That said, do I think this whole thing is silly?

Absolutely.

The school claims that it was trying to emphasize the concept of loyalty but that's a slippery slope. There's a fine line between loyalty and blind obedience and this issue points that out. For example, there are many people who live in a given place and do not support the local sports teams. Should they be asked to leave town?

I think the real loyalty lesson was demonstrated by this kid's willingness to take the weight for standing up for what he believes in and something like that ought to be commended not punished.

Put another way, if this school is looking to produce future leaders and free-thinkers, then this kid is a shining example of both!

Wallace108
01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Do I think the rule is stupid? Absolutely. I don't think public schools should have strict dress codes. But that's a different debate.

If this school was going to allow kids to wear Seahawks jerseys, then fans of other teams should have been allowed to wear their jerseys as well.

With that said, the kid asked beforehand whether he was allowed to wear his Steelers jersey. He was told no and what would happen if he did. He talked it over with his father, who gave his son the choice of wearing it or not. He decided to wear the jersey knowing what would happen. :noidea:

At work, my boss says we can dress casually on Friday. So I ask him if it's OK if I wear my Steelers jersey. He says no. But I show up to work Friday wearing my jersey anyway. What do you think will happen?

By the way, I think everyone is making valid points on both sides of this debate. :drink:

LVSteelersfan
01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
There is no right or wrong answer to this. I don't agree with the d***head principal, but rules are rules. This is probably one of those kids that will end up killing someone because he doesn't believe the rule that stopping at stop signs is a good rule so he just ignores them. Or shooting some politician because he has some illogical reasoning that says it is ok to kill someone you disagree with. I see this kind of thing happening all the time.There are a lot of idiots out there who flaunt the rules. Drinking and driving. Ignoring traffic laws. If everyone totally loses respect for authority (which is happening all over the place right now) this country could become unlivable.

mcg24
01-15-2011, 02:00 PM

You get paid to go to work and follow a specific dress code. Your employer can make you wear whatever the hell he wants, he's paying you. You are required by law to be at school every day.

mcg24
01-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Do I think the rule is stupid? Absolutely. I don't think public schools should have strict dress codes. But that's a different debate.

If this school was going to allow kids to wear Seahawks jerseys, then fans of other teams should have been allowed to wear their jerseys as well.

With that said, the kid asked beforehand whether he was allowed to wear his Steelers jersey. He was told no and what would happen if he did. He talked it over with his father, who gave his son the choice of wearing it or not. He decided to wear the jersey knowing what would happen. :noidea:

At work, my boss says we can dress casually on Friday. So I ask him if it's OK if I wear my Steelers jersey. He says no. But I show up to work Friday wearing my jersey anyway. What do you think will happen?

By the way, I think everyone is making valid points on both sides of this debate. :drink:

I get all your points. Yeah, the kid knew he was going to get removed from school so he really shouldn't be surprised. But really the only point I'm trying to prove is that if the other kids get to wear their jerseys, there's no reason why I can't wear mine just because I'm not from Seattle. But you get that, so it doesn't seem that we really have much of a disagreement.

Steelrule
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Tacoma student told no Steelers jersey on Seahawks Appreciation Day

TACOMA, Wash. – A middle school student who is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan went home from school Friday after showing up in his favorite team's jersey on Seahawks Appreciation Day

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Steelers-fan-sent-home-from-school-on-Seahawks-Appreciation-Day-113629409.html

Let it go already!

mcg24
01-19-2011, 05:49 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=66358

I gotcha by a few days on this one haha. But yes, it is a ridiculous story and one that everyone should read and enjoy!

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
EDIT: Never mind.

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
They need to let it go. Long story short, I went to Idaho in summer 2008 (2.5 yrs after XL) to a city close to the Washington border. There's an amusement park there that I went to at the time. Anyway, they were opening a new roller coaster so the news crews were all there. They were asking first riders their opinion of the ride (me being one of the first riders), but as soon as they found out I was from Pittsburgh they quickly changed the subject and started badgering me with questions about SB XL. What's sad is it didn't sound like they were joking...and they were pretty persistent. I had to literally walk away from them because they wouldn't stop.

Steelrule
01-19-2011, 05:55 PM
My bad, didn't see the previous post.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Its all good bro. Based off that post count and join date you probably don't get on much. So how would you have known? This place gets tons of new topics a day. :tt03:

mcg24
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Not a problem at all, I wouldn't have even known myself if I wasn't the one who created it.

Need4Sweed
01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
When did LaMarr Woodley become a FORMER Steeler. Don't rush the man out the door.

mesaSteeler
01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Its all good bro. Based off that post count and join date you probably don't get on much. So how would you have known? This place gets tons of new topics a day. :tt03:

1. By keeping the thread title the same as the article title so we don't duplicate each other. (This is one of rules of posting articles here.)
2. By using the search function to search on either the title or on the authors name before posting it.
3. If a story is more than 12 hours it's already been posted.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Dear Seattle,

Six.

Signed,

Pittsburgh

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I'll just merge them...no biggie.

There's been a ton of posting going on the past couple weeks. Things are bound to get double posted and threads lost in that time. They were two different articles anyway with two different titles, so I'm not sure the search function would have worked that well anyway.

mesaSteeler
01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Wouldn't life be easier if we all were Pittsburgh Steelers fans?
THE NEWS TRIBUNE
Tacoma Washington
Published: 01/21/1112:05 am
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/21/1510916/wouldnt-life-be-easier-if-we-all.html#ixzz1Bg1DXaEq

Looks like Grendon Bailie gets the last laugh. The 13-year-old Tacoma whippersnapper, sent to the showers last week for wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey to school instead of Seahawks colors, now will watch his team play for the AFC Championship.

Keep this in mind, young man: Truman Middle School administrators might not cotton to your fashion choice, but fans of the black-and-gold are always welcome at Hooters.

Seahawks fans? Your dress code now calls for sackcloth and ashes.

And really, people, isn’t it about time you stopped living in 2005? Are you still wearing your bird flu mask, listening to Shania Twain and watching the Britney Spears/Kevin Federline reality show on TV?

XL was once the number of your Super Bowl. Now it’s just your pant size.

Pittsburgh is no longer your enemy. The cruel passage of time that makes your quarterback creakier every year – that is your enemy.

Just a hunch, but we thinks Truman Middle School will allow no more Seattle-sports-euphoria-driven exceptions to its uniform policy for the next century or three.

Then again, is anyone surprised Tacoma Public Schools would go to such lengths to celebrate mediocrity? Is it any wonder they’d endorse a bunch of underachievers who trailed the rest of the pack in most statistical categories and stumbled briefly into the national spotlight only because they were graded on the curve (i.e, the woeful NFC West)?

Hellllloooo! Our public school system doesn’t just love the Seahawks. One look at WASL scores will tell you it is the Seahawks!

Got news for The Nose? Write TheNose@thenewstribune.com.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/21/1510916/wouldnt-life-be-easier-if-we-all.html#ixzz1Bg1DXaEq