PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Smith out for Ravens game

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Steelers' Smith out for Ravens game
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_718226.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 14, 2011

Aaron Smith, who has said he is hopeful of playing Saturday in an AFC divisional playoff game, won't suit up against the Ravens even if he and the Steelers get favorable results from an MRI that the veteran defensive end took today.

Smith, who has not played since partially tearing his left triceps in an Oct. 24 game, is listed by the Steelers as doubtful for tomorrow's 4:30 p.m. game at Heinz Field. But coach Mike Tomlin told the team’s website today that Smith won’t play against the Ravens.

“Hopefully we get the job done against the Ravens, and we can have that conversation (about Smith playing) again next week,” Tomlin told Steelers.com.

The team has listed both strong safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Bryant McFadden as probable for the Steelers' third game this season against the Ravens.

Both Polamlu (Achilles) and McFadden (abdomen) were full participants in practice yesterday. Each also took part in the walk through that the Steelers held today at their South Side practice facility.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Fire Arians
01-14-2011, 05:49 PM
yeah this was a surprise, lol

pete74
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
like i said, he should be on IR and we should be giving another player a chance

stb_steeler
01-14-2011, 06:11 PM
That stinks.......Hopefuly we can see him play the next game!

finesward
01-14-2011, 06:24 PM
like i said, he should be on IR and we should be giving another player a chance

don't agree with ya, but just curious what player do you think they should give a chance at the expense of putting a guy like smith on IR? sunny harris? He's the only DL we have on the PS. Would he really get much PT behind Eason and Hoke? I think throwing a young guy in there that doesn't have 1st team experience would be a mistake not worth making in the playoffs. my .02

pete74
01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
don't agree with ya, but just curious what player do you think they should give a chance at the expense of putting a guy like smith on IR? sunny harris? He's the only DL we have on the PS. Would he really get much PT behind Eason and Hoke? I think throwing a young guy in there that doesn't have 1st team experience would be a mistake not worth making in the playoffs. my .02

Hood is playing just as good if not better then smith. if there was a realistic chance of smith playing i would be all for waiting but this isnt a injury you come back from this quick and play at a high level. there is no way he will be able to stretch his arm out to make tackles like he used to this year. with that said, why play a man down when we could add another player that may help?

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2011, 06:57 PM
And in other breaking news, the Sun will rise in the eastern sky and set in the western sky tomorrow

My reaction was somewhat different when ESPN put on its home page this evening that Troy was "questionable" for tomorrrow:jawdrop:

http://espn.go.com/

Turns out he is "'probable" and will play - the moron writing the headline either does not know NFL injury lingo or is trying to drive page hits to the story by hyping the injury angle

steelerchad
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
The fact is we should have never lost Gibson for this. No production from Smith. We drafted Gibson to help with special teams and to maybe be ready to take a LBer spot in a couple years when the old guys retire.

ScreamingEagle
01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Lets go Ziggy:tt03:

austinfrench76
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I love Smith and thought he would be back for the 1st paly off game, not "potentially" the Super Bowl but ee lost Gibson, that is not good. Let's hope that doesn't come back to bite us.

lionslicer
01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Hood is playing just as good if not better then smith. if there was a realistic chance of smith playing i would be all for waiting but this isnt a injury you come back from this quick and play at a high level. there is no way he will be able to stretch his arm out to make tackles like he used to this year. with that said, why play a man down when we could add another player that may help?

He was playing terrible when Smith was first injured which is why Tomlin didn't put him on IR... It wasn't until the season went along did Hood actually show up, but a player was already lost in waivers because Smith was not put on IR, so there was no reason to put him there late in the season.