PDA

View Full Version : Dilfer: Flag could determine Ravens-Steelers game

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Dilfer: Flag could determine Ravens-Steelers game
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/01/dilfer_flag_could_determine_ravenssteelers_game.ht ml

As a Super Bowl-winning quarterback with the Ravens, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer has a first-hand appreciation for the team's rivalry with Pittsburgh as well as the physical nature of both teams. This week he speculated that physicality could have a big effect on the game.

"This game has all the elements to it, drama because itís a divisional game, big personalities and the big, sloppy element of old-school football," Dilfer said. "What scares me the most of this game are two teams that are built on their physicality. Ö Iím scared that this game is so evenly matched, it usually comes down to the last possession, a field goal is going to be dictated by a yellow flagÖIím hoping that a flag doesnít dictate the outcome of this game, but my gut tells me it will.Ē

If that's the case, consider this: The Ravens were penalized few times for much less yardage than the Steelers this season.

The Ravens incurred 90 penalties through the regular season for 673 yards. The Steelers had 100 violations for 903 yards.

(After Airhead's game plan this is the second thing I worry about the most particularly since Goodell hates us. - mesa)

tony hipchest
01-14-2011, 07:25 PM
i see trent is already making excuses for his ravens loss.

the good news is the refs let the teams play in the first round.

all 8 teams were penalized less than their season average.

2 if not 3 teams only drew 2 flags.

mesaSteeler
01-14-2011, 07:31 PM

Hope you are right but that still leaves Airhead's game plan to worry about.

RavensFan20
01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I want to see the refs let the players play but this past year in all sports there were times when the refs made calls that effected the outcome of the games. Look at the MLB Playoffs, there were a few matches in the World Cup where the ref made a call that effected the game. That is why Dilfer is bringing this up.

I expect the refs to allow most of the pushing and shoving but if it gets out of hand or is one sided i expect a flag. I also dont want to see any flags in the last two min of the game unless they are blatent fouls that need to be called.

So let the two teams play and only throw the flag if it is a blatent call, this is the playoffs.

finesward
01-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Do we really want the ref's to "let em play"? Like the Jets game this year? I can picture sanders getting his jersey half way ripped off then bear hugged in the end zone...

If they call a fair and consistent game I will be happy. The playoff loss to jacksonville comes to mind. Remember the scramble that won the game where james and polamalu were being held? I really don't want it to come to that again. They need to watch Oher early and flag him immediately if he starts his false starts to keep him in check, same with holding on harrison. A few flags early will only benefit the players on both sides to not try and get over on the refs. I'd rather they come early than late in the game. Again consistency is key. I don't want either side bitching about the ref's after this game.

Fire Arians
01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
dilfer can shove that yellow flag up his ass

pitt0wns
01-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Remember the Steelers are in the hole atleast 10pts every game due to bad calls

Ravens Den
01-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Dilfer: Flag could determine Ravens-Steelers game
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/01/dilfer_flag_could_determine_ravenssteelers_game.ht ml

As a Super Bowl-winning quarterback with the Ravens, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer has a first-hand appreciation for the team's rivalry with Pittsburgh as well as the physical nature of both teams. This week he speculated that physicality could have a big effect on the game.

"This game has all the elements to it, drama because itís a divisional game, big personalities and the big, sloppy element of old-school football," Dilfer said. "What scares me the most of this game are two teams that are built on their physicality. Ö Iím scared that this game is so evenly matched, it usually comes down to the last possession, a field goal is going to be dictated by a yellow flagÖIím hoping that a flag doesnít dictate the outcome of this game, but my gut tells me it will.Ē

If that's the case, consider this: The Ravens were penalized few times for much less yardage than the Steelers this season.

The Ravens incurred 90 penalties through the regular season for 673 yards. The Steelers had 100 violations for 903 yards.

(After Airhead's game plan this is the second thing I worry about the most particularly since Goodell hates us. - mesa)

Dont act like Goodell singles you out or the refs, there were plenty of games that went the STEELERS way because of the refs. If JAMES HARR. would of just kept his mouth shut , GOODELL would have never been watching him like a hawk, its his own fault, BUT this little
(im being sarcastic saying LITTLE) Helmet to Helmet fining b.sht that was announced mid season was just the worse thing that could have happenned. I can understand what they are trying to do , but if your going to change the RULES MID SEASON that is that big and game changing, there are going to be serious problems and complaints. What would have been the very best thing to do (sometimes not because the fine comes a week later which is a whole other story) was address this issue during the off season so teams,coaches and refs can prepare for it. This rule change came out of no where and i dont like the idea of ONE MAN judging whats right and whats wrong, whats a legal hit and whats not. ITS TOTAL DICTATORSHIP and should absolutely have a committee that votes or discuss the hits and fines.

Ravens Den
01-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Remember the Steelers are in the hole atleast 10pts every game due to bad calls

Every team gets screwed now and again, so dont act like the STEELERS are being singled out.

From my understanding the OFFICALS that are calling the game are pretty fair, thats all i want is a fair game. NO BULLSHT CALLS ON EITHER SIDES. THATS ALL I WANT.

Buddha Bus
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Dont act like Goodell singles you out or the refs, there were plenty of games that went the STEELERS way because of the refs. If JAMES HARR. would of just kept his mouth shut , GOODELL would have never been watching him like a hawk, its his own fault, BUT this little
(im being sarcastic saying LITTLE) Helmet to Helmet fining b.sht that was announced mid season was just the worse thing that could have happenned. I can understand what they are trying to do , but if your going to change the RULES MID SEASON that is that big and game changing, there are going to be serious problems and complaints. What would have been the very best thing to do (sometimes not because the fine comes a week later which is a whole other story) was address this issue during the off season so teams,coaches and refs can prepare for it. This rule change came out of no where and i dont like the idea of ONE MAN judging whats right and whats wrong, whats a legal hit and whats not. ITS TOTAL DICTATORSHIP and should absolutely have a committee that votes or discuss the hits and fines.

This coming from a fan base and team that cries 95% of the time when the Ravens lose about how the refs "screwed them". HAHAHAHAHAHA! You are about the dumbest troll I have ever seen on a message board in my life, and trust me... that's REALLY saying something. Your last name isn't Lumber by any chance is it?

Ravens Den
01-14-2011, 11:52 PM

RAVENS arnt going to lose, dont want to be the one to tell you that, oh wait yea i do.
T SIZZLE 2 PLUS SACKS ON BIG OL BEN

RAVENS WIN

STEELERS 17 RAVENS 30 :hatsoff:

:tt::rocket:

Buddha Bus
01-14-2011, 11:55 PM
RAVENS arnt going to lose, dont want to be the one to tell you that, oh wait yea i do.

RAVENS WIN

http://adscam.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535775bb2970c-250wi

Buddha Bus
01-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Where the hell did that vaginal fart bubble go?

Steelboy84
01-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Just hope the ST is ready to go. Last thing we need is an opening return into our territory giving them momentum.......

Steelboy84
01-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Does it feel like Christmas, or is it just me?

davidtrout
01-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Where the hell did that vaginal fart bubble go?

Probably went to tell his mommy on you.:tt02:

Wallace108
01-15-2011, 12:10 AM
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/455/tacobellp.jpg

Wallace108
01-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Looks like I was too late. :noidea:

Buddha Bus
01-15-2011, 12:15 AM
iXJHsPglpm0&feature=related

Buddha Bus
01-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Looks like I was too late. :noidea:

So was Ravens Den's dad... for pulling out.

Steelboy84
01-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Supposed to be below freezing tomorrow....................

tony hipchest
01-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Every team gets screwed now and again, so dont act like the STEELERS are being singled out.

From my understanding the OFFICALS that are calling the game are pretty fair, thats all i want is a fair game. NO BULLSHT CALLS ON EITHER SIDES. THATS ALL I WANT.well lets be fair. the steelers ARE and have been singled out.

there is the-

mel blount rule.
hines ward rule.
ryan clark rule.
james harrison rule.

the reason harrison was targeted isnt because of his mouth but because he knocked 2 browns the **** out in the same game. he became too dangerous with legal play just like mel blount did 30 years earlier.

how come the ravens havent been singled out for the bounties they put on players? t. suggs never shuts his trap, and the head coach applauds his players breaking the noses of others (im sure he's glad heath miller was knocked out cold too).

Buddha Bus
01-15-2011, 12:33 AM
well lets be fair. the steelers ARE and have been singled out.

there is the-

mel blount rule.
hines ward rule.
ryan clark rule.
james harrison rule.

the reason harrison was targeted isnt because of his mouth but because he knocked 2 browns the **** out in the same game. he became too dangerous with legal play just like mel blount did 30 years earlier.

how come the ravens havent been singled out for the bounties they put on players? t. suggs never shuts his trap, and the head coach applauds his players breaking the noses of others (im sure he's glad heath miller was knocked out cold too).

You're making too much sense here Tony. I don't think he'll get it.

TRH
01-15-2011, 05:52 AM
the problem is that he's right. A flag or two, or even a 'borderline' flag (which could be a nightmare), at an inopportune time could be disastrous and game-changing.
That was one of my game-changers i had listed along with special teams/field position which i think will also be critically important

pittsurghsteelers4life
01-15-2011, 06:07 AM
Supposed to be below freezing tomorrow....................
I just hope that the ref start calling a flag on the ravens when they give BIG BEN cheap shots....

pittsurghsteelers4life
01-15-2011, 06:15 AM

RAVENS WIN

Get out of here dude....itz going to be the other way around......steelers 30..ravens 12

pittsurghsteelers4life
01-15-2011, 06:28 AM
I want to see the refs let the players play but this past year in all sports there were times when the refs made calls that effected the outcome of the games. Look at the MLB Playoffs, there were a few matches in the World Cup where the ref made a call that effected the game. That is why Dilfer is bringing this up.

I expect the refs to allow most of the pushing and shoving but if it gets out of hand or is one sided i expect a flag. I also dont want to see any flags in the last two min of the game unless they are blatent fouls that need to be called.

So let the two teams play and only throw the flag if it is a blatent call, this is the playoffs.
Everybody say itz going to be a close game but I'm going away from that.....I think that steelers R going to go in the air most of the day....whatz going to be VERY IMPORTANT TODAY IS Special teams. & punt return man for each team.....& the kicker for each team......BUT TO ME'... I can see in FLACCO eyes he's a SCARED LITTLE PUPPY......HE know there coming after him....fllacco might not make it through the whole Game......he's going to get hit today.....believe that

pittsurghsteelers4life
01-15-2011, 06:34 AM
I hope the rookies R GREAT TODAY FOR THE STEELERS.....WE DON'T NEED NO MESS UP's today......now WARD is my guy...BUT he's been dropping some balls lately......I hope he steps up today & show the rookies how itz done.......

Rick5895
01-15-2011, 07:39 AM
I believe Ward will step up today. He knows his career is on the downswing, and he doesn't have a lot of time left for championships.
I can see ward making 6 catches for 70-90 yards and a TD