PDA

View Full Version : Final Word: Ravens at Steelers

SH-Rock
01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Flacco's performance is key: The playoffs are where players make their names, and it's vital for third-year quarterback Joe Flacco to continue to play well this postseason if the Baltimore Ravens aim to make a Super Bowl run. Flacco is just 2-5 against the Pittsburgh Steelers in his career and has never beaten them with Ben Roethlisberger under center. Flacco has a solid playoff record (4-2), but he hasn't put up great numbers in those games. Flacco took a good step last week by throwing for a playoff-best 265 yards and two touchdowns in a wild-card win over the Kansas City Chiefs. He needs to continue that momentum against Pittsburgh.

Will rust be an issue? The Steelers enjoyed the benefits of the bye but now have to turn it on quickly against their biggest rival. Pittsburgh hasn't played since Jan. 2 during a 41-9 thrashing of the Cleveland Browns. Even then, the game wasn't competitive so several key players got rest in the fourth quarter. A slow start by either team could be the difference in this game, which is almost always close. The Ravens looked extremely sharp last week against Kansas City, and Pittsburgh needs to find a way to regain its edge despite little game action.

In good health: Both teams enter this bitter rivalry in good shape regarding injuries. The only player who likely won't play Saturday is Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith, who is listed doubtful coming off triceps surgery. The Ravens have three players questionable in center Matt Birk (knee), Chris Carr (thigh) and Tom Zbikowski (back). But of the three, Zbikowski is probably the only major concern. The real issue is how many injuries will occur in this slugfest, and will the survivor have enough left in the tank for the AFC Championship Game?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/23295/final-word-ravens-steelers

I don't understand how the writers keep pointing out that since we had a bye we will be rusty. One its the Ravens who we're playing and I'm sure everyone on the team knows how important this game is. Two we're a veteran team, I'm pretty sure the older guys will consistently remind the younger ones about the importance of these games.

Steelboy84
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
"I don't understand how the writers keep pointing out that since we had a bye we will be rusty"

We needed this bye badly, especially for Ben and our defense.........

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-15-2011, 01:25 AM
I don't understand how the writers keep pointing out that since we had a bye we will be rusty.

Because the teams that have the first round bye, often come out looking rusty.

* We beat the Colts in their house after a first round bye.

* When we won SB XLIII, we were the only home/first round bye team that won in the divisional round (remember? The 13-3 Titans fell to the Ravens in their first game, and both first round bye NFC seeds lost that weekend too).

Buddha Bus
01-15-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm most worried about Ben with the bye. Even though he's banged up and needed the rest, he was starting to get a rhythm going with the receivers the past few weeks. I'm worried the bye will cool him off some. I guess if I had the choice, though, I would still want the bye because we need Troy and Ben to get healthy and I was hoping we could get Aaron Smith back in time for this game. Here's to hoping Ben stays sharp and the Steelers get the "W"! :drink: :tt03::tt04:

FanSince72
01-15-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't understand how the writers keep pointing out that since we had a bye we will be rusty. One its the Ravens who we're playing and I'm sure everyone on the team knows how important this game is. Two we're a veteran team, I'm pretty sure the older guys will consistently remind the younger ones about the importance of these games.

One of the talking heads on ESPN addressed the rust issue.

He pointed out that if a team goes into a bye week with no real problems and is otherwise "game-ready", then rust can be an issue. But if a team goes into a bye week with players hurt (especially key players), then the bye is actually a plus because of the extended healing time. Since the team's focus is on getting players healthy, the rust factor doesn't apply because the team is actually working through that situation so they're doing something proactive as opposed to just sitting around waiting for their game to come up.

It made sense to me and I tend to agree with him.

kirklandrules
01-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Rust hurts a team that hasn't been there before. This veteran team has been there and done that.

FanSince72
01-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Rust hurts a team that hasn't been there before. This veteran team has been there and done that.

An excellent point! :thmbup:

Rick5895
01-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Because the teams that have the first round bye, often come out looking rusty.

* We beat the Colts in their house after a first round bye.

* When we won SB XLIII, we were the only home/first round bye team that won in the divisional round (remember? The 13-3 Titans fell to the Ravens in their first game, and both first round bye NFC seeds lost that weekend too).

The colts game in 05, is not a good example. They had the divsion and #1 seed locked up early, if you remember the 13-0, I beleive at one point. What makes us different is we had to play down the stretch, we needed to win vs the Browns the last game or we could have been the 6th seed.
We will be ready, too many veterans on this team to think otherwise.

pittsurghsteelers4life
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Letz just kick ass today STEELERS.......letz BLOW them OUT today....show the world that we R here to stay......

SH-Rock
01-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Letz just kick ass today STEELERS.......letz BLOW them OUT today....show the world that we R here to stay......

Can you spell properly and don't capitalize during the middle of the sentence for no reason.

MikeHaullace
01-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Can you spell properly and don't capitalize during the middle of the sentence for know reason.

He put the wrong emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAbles.

SteelCityMom
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Can you spell properly and don't capitalize during the middle of the sentence for know reason.

:chuckle:

It's cool though, he's just excited. :noidea:

Go Steelers!! :tt02:

SH-Rock
01-15-2011, 12:22 PM
:chuckle:

It's cool though, he's just excited. :noidea:

Go Steelers!! :tt02:

Well I feel dumb...