PDA

View Full Version : MVP of all time

HinesWard4Life8682
04-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Who do u think is the greatest Most valuable, dominate player of all time. Any position any year

I say Dan Marino or Jerry Rice

they hold every passing or recieving record with any significance

clevestinks
04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Terry Bradshaw, hands down. Only qb ever with four rings. Is he the greatest qb ever? probably not but he is top ten. But a MVP, YES,

HinesWard4Life8682
04-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Terry Bradshaw, hands down. Only qb ever with four rings. Is he the greatest qb ever? probably not but he is top ten. But a MVP, YES,

joe montana had 4

RoethlisBURGHer
04-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Jim Brown

He'd dominate in an era of football.Best.Runningback.Ever.

HinesWard4Life8682
05-02-2005, 04:05 PM
barry sanders is the best running back to love and no im not sayin that cuz he played for detroit

he retired at 30 with only 1,500 yards to the record

BUT clinton portis is gonna shatter the record at the rate hes at with his age

madrax
05-02-2005, 05:54 PM
How about one of the OLD school fellers, like Red Grange or Jim Thorpe or Knute Rockne or something... you know, the first big name to go pro?

My mind is blanking here. Help.

hardwork
05-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Montana. While Jimmy Brown was the Browns, and the most dominate player in NFL history, the Browns themselves didn't dominate, SF did.

hardwork
05-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Old Timer: I vote for Marion Motley

>>Fullback* >>>*6-1, 232
(South Carolina State, Nevada)

1946-1953 Cleveland Browns (AAFC/NFL), 1955 Pittsburgh Steelers

Marion Motley. . .Deadly pass blocker, peerless runner on Browns' famed trap play. . .Also played linebacker early in career. . .All-time AAFC rushing champ. . .Top NFL rusher, 1950. . .All-AAFC four years, All-NFL in 1950. . .Lifetime rushing: 828 carriers, 4,720 yards. . .5.7-yard career average all-time record. . .Caught 85 passes, scored 234 points in nine years. . .Played in 1951 Pro Bowl. . .Born June 5, 1920, in Leesburg, Georgia. . . Died June 27, 1999, at age of 79.

In 1946, one year before Jackie Robinson signed with baseball's Brooklyn Dodgers, four players smashed pro football's race barrier. The trailblazers were Marion Motley and Bill Willis, who signed with the Cleveland Browns of the new All-America Football Conference, and Kenny Washington and Woody Strode, who signed with the National Football League's Los Angeles Rams. Injuries ended Washington's career after three seasons, while Strode played just the 1946 season.

Motley and Willis, however, went on to have Hall of Fame careers. Motley joined the Browns as a 26-year-old rookie. Browns' coach Paul Brown was already familiar with Motley, having coached the big fullback at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station during World War II.
He also knew Motley from his high school playing days in Canton, Ohio. Paul coached football at neighboring Massillon High School. Motley, with his powerful running on Cleveland's famed trap and draw series, made the Browns' ground game go, but he is also credited with vital contributions to the Cleveland passing attack, because his blocking for quarterback Otto Graham was exceptional.

At 6-1 and 232 pounds, Motley was an imposing figure. The constant threat of him hurtling up the middle kept the defenses honest. Marion was the AAFC's all-time rushing leader and also led the NFL in ground gaining in his initial season in the league in 1950. That year, in a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, the powerful Motley rushed for 188 yards on just 11 carries for a 17.1 yards-per-carry average.

In his nine professional seasons, he amassed 4,720 yards on 828 carries for an amazing 5.7 yards-per-carry average. When he retired Marion held a host of Browns' club records. In addition to be elected to the Hall of Fame in 1968, Motley was named in 1994 to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team<<

clevestinks
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Would Jim Brown dominate today?

He was athletically, ahead of everyone else. Today his size and speed would be about average of the better backs in the league. I think he would be a real good back, maybe even HOF, but not near as dominating. And he would probably still be in jail for beating up women.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Sweetness !! The true definition of Power and Finesse. he could run over you as easily has he could run around you.

hardwork
05-02-2005, 10:02 PM
"I think he would be a real good back, maybe even HOF, but not near as dominating."

I beg to differ. Look at what Bettis does for you and he doesn't hold a candle to Brown.

hardwork
05-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I take that back. Bettis may not be Jimmy Brown, but he holds a candle to him. I have a very healthy respect for Bettis.

Brownskikass
05-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Who do u think is the greatest Most valuable, dominate player of all time. Any position any year

I say Dan Marino or Jerry Rice

they hold every passing or recieving record with any significance

Probably should be in general NFL chat but Ill go with Jim Brown.

Dude averaged over 5 yards per carry every year of his career. Noone, and I mean noone has ever done that and noone will do it again. Two time NFL MVP, in just 9 years he rushed for over 12000 yards, noone has ever reached that feat in that little amount of time. 5.22 yards per carry, if you talk about most dominant Brown takes the cake. Noone or nothing could stop him, except for reitrement.

Brownskikass
05-02-2005, 11:02 PM
barry sanders is the best running back to love and no im not sayin that cuz he played for detroit

he retired at 30 with only 1,500 yards to the record

BUT clinton portis is gonna shatter the record at the rate hes at with his age

Jim Brown was closer and younger but well move on....

Honestly, are you a Steelers fan or Lions fan??? You constantly stick up for the Lions which makes me think your a closte Lions fan....Enlighten us

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I think his father is a big time Lions fan, if Im not mistaken.

hardwork
05-02-2005, 11:13 PM
"Noone or nothing could stop him, except for reitrement."

As someone said while he was playing, the only way to stop Jimmy Brown is with a gun.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Jim Brown, for all his accomplishments he had in his relatively short career, he deserves props also, for being a real pioneer into getting black athletes into the spot light to show case their talents.

HinesWard4Life8682
05-03-2005, 05:44 PM
i dont stick up for them, i just like their pick and i think they're gonna be a good team and u guys think they suck

and yes steelers are my favorite team, i've followed them every year, me and my dad used different TV's on sundays cuz he watches the lions and i watch the steelers

clevestinks
05-03-2005, 07:37 PM
There is no way your name is HinesWardforlife8682, unless you were a true Steelers Fan

HinesWard4Life8682
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
i am a true steelers fan, i watch all their games, u should see my room, and did anybody else hit their head on the wall when they lost against the pats or is it just me?

Avoid LLoyd1975
05-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Toss up between Barry Sanders and Walter Payton..."There are solid MVP's and then there are participants." If you want to go the quarterback route then I would have to say either Unitas or Montana. Jerry Rice, no way!!! If I played football since caveman evolved I would have his stats as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2005, 10:50 PM
But as far as WR MVP's go, you'd have to give JR strong consideration.. I meant he guy eat, drinks, sleeps, and lives football. There's nobody w/ a tougher workout regimine than he's got. MVP of all time, nah I wouldnt give it to him, but there are plenty that would. But he does need to hang it up, its time Jerry, retire and let your legacy speak for itself.

ironcitychef
05-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Jim Brown. Have heard more people(and people who know football) respect this man for what he did on the field, and for leaving the field early so that their numbers would look huge even now. He could have been so untouchable. Its like when you say Emmitt is the rushing leader. You sigh, and say yeah if Barry hadn't retired. Same here. Whoever you mention, its a sigh and then, "if only Jim Brown had played as long to make the comparison easy". therefore, Jim Brown.

HinesWard4Life8682
05-04-2005, 04:45 PM
i think sanders is the best ever

ironcitychef
05-05-2005, 12:22 AM
I agree with the younger generations with their answers, cause of tv I grew up watching those guys as well. I just find it interesting watching the division between old school and new school. Here and in the lb thread as well. Just noticing...:coffee: We'll see how this continues to play out.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2005, 01:56 PM
It's funny because I am 19 and everyone expects me to say the best RB ever is Barry Sanders.Well no,the best ever is Jim Brown.If he wouldn't have retired Emmit wouldn't be the all-time rushing leader.Jim Brown was a beast in his era,and if he played today he'd still be a beast.Jim Brown is,was,and always will be the best RB to ever play the game.

Now the all-time WR MVP is Jerry Rice.Nobody will ever touch him.Not T.O.,not Marvin Harrison,nobody.

All-time Steelers MVP is Terry Bradshaw.He is the one player who if we didn't have in the 70's,we wouldn't have won a SB.Everyone else was despensable,the Blond Bomber was indesepnsable.

clevestinks
05-05-2005, 02:54 PM
I really can`t put Sanders on a list of MVP, let alone at the top. He may be one of the best ever, or even the best ever. But MVP? MVP of what? his crappy team, big deal, an MVP wins games , big games. It wasn`t Sanders fault , but still his is one of the greatest ever. But not MVP.