PDA

View Full Version : Put the Pressure on Flacco

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Put the Pressure on Flacco
Posted on January 15, 2011 by JJ
Steelers Lounge
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/put-pressure-flacco/

Happy Gameday everyone. As we get ready for the 4:30 p.m. kickoff, I have a couple of more stats to share.

I went back and logged every Ravens’ pass play in the first two Steelers-Ravens games this year. I posted some of the findings over at FanHouse, including a look at how important it is for the Steelers to get pressure on Joe Flacco–his yards per completion is cut in half when the Steelers get pressure on him.

But I also wanted to spell out just how important LaMarr Woodley is to the Steelers’ pressure package. What jumped out in logging every Steelers’ pass rush is that Woodley was sent more often than James Harrison–14 more times in the first two games.

Here are the numbers for each non defensive lineman and how many times they rushed in the first two games.
First Game Rushes
LaMarr Woodley 25
James Harrison 20
Lawrence Timmons 6
James Farrior 6
Troy Polamalu 4
Ike Taylor 1
Ryan Clark 2
Larry Foote 1
Second Game Rushes
LaMarr Woodley 34
James Harrison 25
Lawrence Timmons 11
James Farrior 15
Troy Polamalu 5
Ike Taylor 2
William Gay 4
Overall Rushes
LaMarr Woodley 59
James Harrison 45
James Farrior 21
Lawrence Timmons 17
Troy Polamalu 9
William Gay 4
Ike Taylor 3
Ryan Clark 2
Larry Foote 1

SacknificentStew56
01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Wood is a very vital piece to the blitz packages when pressuring the QB. I love how he manhandles opponents lineman and causes their QB to panic. I hope Fat Bastard didn't steal his playoff mojo and he keeps logging multiple sacks for us.