PDA

View Full Version : Did Ravens lose it or did Steelers win it?

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Did Ravens lose it or did Steelers win it?
Posted on: January 15, 2011 8:15 pm
Edited on: January 15, 2011 8:18 pm
http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27069093

Posted by Andy Benoit

All season long, T.J. Houshmandzadeh has been carping for more balls to come his way. On fourth-and-18 on Baltimore’s final drive at Pittsburgh, it was Housh who let the pigskin bounce off his mitts. It was one of a handful of mistakes made by the Ravens during a second half that included three turnovers, J. Harrison (US Presswire)a holding penalty to negate Lardarius Webb’s punt return score and, on the series before Housh’s drop, an equally egregious drop by Anquan Boldin in the end zone.

But before we declare that Baltimore lost the game Saturday night, let’s acknowledge everything Pittsburgh did to win it. On the final touchdown drive, Ben Roethlisberger, who had a few accuracy issues on the night, completed a chains-moving strike to Hines Ward on third-and-10. A few plays later, on third and forever, he launched a bomb to Antonio Brown, who “David Tyree’d” the ball against his helmet inside the five. It was a brilliant play-call by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians; Roethlisberger’s pass would either fall incomplete or be picked off for what would amount to a really good punt. Or, it would be caught near the goal-line to set up Rashard Mendenhall's go-ahead touchdown.

As many plays as the Steelers offense made late in the game, it was the defense that carried the night. The Steelers sacked Joe Flacco five times. James Harrison was overshadowed by Terrell Suggs’ monstrous performance (three sacks, two tackles for a loss and the forced fumble in the second quarter on the play where Cory Redding was the only player who realized that the whistle hadn’t blown). But it was Harrison who exploited the one-on-one mismatch against left tackle Michael Oher (a bright young player but one whom raised some serious questions down the stretch) and took over in the fourth. Harrison finished with three sacks and a host of quarterback hurries.

Harrison was complemented by a multitude of unsung defensive heroes wearing black and gold. Up-and-coming defensive end Ziggy Hood was stout against the run. Ryan Clark was the most dominant safety on the field, registering a handful of openfield tackles in the first half and picking off Joe Flacco during the momentum swing in the third quarter. And, finally, maligned nickelback William Gay was brilliant stepping in on the outside role for injured Bryant McFadden.

The Ravens, with all their mistakes, didn’t do themselves any favors in the second half. But isn’t it funny how mistakes seem to occur more when you’re facing a great team?

Fire Arians
01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
both. we won and they lost :P

theplatypus
01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
But isn’t it funny how mistakes seem to occur more when you’re facing a great team?

Love it

WeegiesWarriors
01-15-2011, 10:34 PM
That's absurd. If the Steelers hadn't continually screwed the pooch in the first half this wouldn't have been a good game. Why isn't anybody focusing on the 14 pts the Steelers gift wrapped them in the first half? Are we to believe all of that was because the Ravens were causing all that but what happened in the second half it was the Ravens losing it? If that is case then the Ravens are pretty pathetic.

TRH
01-15-2011, 10:36 PM
thats dumb because you could say a team "lost it" in almost any game, anytime.
And the post above is correct...we did "spot" them 14 that they should never have got. We won the game. Big time.
There were multiple mistakes on both sides.

4xSBChamps
01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
... can't WAIT for booby jr to answer this question...

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Steelers lost it the 1st hslf, then Ravens lost it the 2nd half ->which counts.
:)

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
... can't WAIT for booby jr to answer this question...

sry 'bout this dumb question, and maybe I'm just too drunk right now, but who the heck is " booby jr" ?
Its obviusly a coin name for someone.

thx.

theplatypus
01-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Maybe I'm just too drunk right now, but who the heck is " booby jr" ?
Its obviusly a coin name for someone.

thx.

Ravens troll banned last week

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2011, 10:53 PM

ahh ok, I missed all that fun last week :)

Pentheon
01-15-2011, 11:15 PM

awww he got banned? He was so sure the ravens were gonna win. :noidea:

grward
01-15-2011, 11:22 PM
I hate this shit. Seriously? I'd like to know who this reporter picked to win the game. My guess is that he picked the Ratbirds and now he's just trying to cover his tracks. This nothing but crap. The Ratturds L O S T. Plain and simple. Their total offense didn't even reach 130 yards. WTF?

lionslicer
01-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Well for a team to actually lose, they have to lose it lol. Like Madden says "the team that makes the most mistakes will probably be the team that loses"

pitt0wns
01-15-2011, 11:27 PM
give it to the Ravens punter that boy can boot the ball.

Diamond-D
01-15-2011, 11:41 PM
I really dislike articles and questions like this as they inevitably only focus on one part of a whole. It's the same as blaming a player for a loss when he makes one understandable mistake late in the game when he has been really good up until then and the rest of his team have played like shit and got the team in such a bad position to begin with. You have to look at events as a whole and what has lead up to that point.

As others have said, the Cravens were only so far ahead because we came out looking sluggish and played poorly in the first half. If we hadn't been as bad in the first half the score would have been closer to 7-7 at halftime. Then we finally start playing Steeler football in the second half, chew away at the lead we gave them and everyone cries "they had a meltdown". No! The meltdown came in the second half when Flacco (or should that be flake-o, because he crumbled) and his receivers had chances to make important plays and screwed them up due to all the pressure we were piling on them.

Ah, well. I can't care at the moment. We won!!

finesward
01-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Fast forward to suggs at the end. As much as I hate him personally, he is a hell of a football player. He said it perfectly... they have noone to point the finger at. They lost the game, the steelers won. We play next week, they go sit on the couch. Almost feel a little bad for him at the end, he nearly gets choked up when he mentions we will be playing for a shot at the super bowl. I think this game royally MIND FUCT a bunch of ravens. Well, except for ray lewis....his mind is already fuct. He was ranting about god and his son, and "life is life" and his son, and it's hard, and god is awesome, and what happens happens, and when god puts it on you it's on you, and life goes on, and his son, and ramble, ramble, ramble....................

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playoffs/09000d5d81db459b/Ravens-postgame-press-conference

Here's ray ray's rant

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playoffs/09000d5d81db4b7f/Ray-Lewis-on-loss

"whats for you's for you, and whats not is not"

sharkweek
01-16-2011, 12:35 AM
well considering we gifted the Ravens two turnovers and 14 points off those turn overs I'd say the game was pretty even in that regard.

Take away turn overs and points off of those turn overs for both teams and we still win 14-10.

fer522
01-16-2011, 04:26 PM
both. we won and they lost :P

beautiful bro :thumbsup: