PDA

View Full Version : Post-Baltimore thoughts III

mesaSteeler
01-16-2011, 09:24 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Post-Baltimore thoughts III

The Ravens are going to be kicking themselves about this one for a very long time - particularly considering what they invested into this season.

Supposedly, the only thing that was keeping Baltimore's great defense from winning a Super Bowl was the team's lack of receivers.

So the Ravens traded for Anquan Boldin and signed T.J. Houshmandzadeh when he was released by Seattle.

In the biggest game of the season, Boldin dropped a potential game-winning touchdown pass at the goal line in the fourth quarter.

Houshmandzadeh followed that up with a fourth down drop on Baltimore's final offensive play of the season.

Neither had a whole lot of luck getting open in the Steelers' 31-24 victory and the trio of Boldin, Houshmandzadeh and Derrick Mason combined for four catches for 36 yards, with three of the receptions and 38 of the yards coming from Houshmandzadeh.

Boldin and Mason combined for one catch for minus-2 yards on eight passes thrown their way.

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed aren't getting any younger. The window of opportunity for this team is just about closed.

The defense is already starting to slip and Boldin, Houshmandzadeh and Mason - if he doesn't retire are looking well past their prime.

Ike Taylor had perhaps the best game of his NFL career Saturday.

Taylor was all over whatever receiver he was slated to cover and was a big factor in why the Ravens couldn't get the ball to Boldin and Mason.

James Harrison owns Michael Oher, who is ridiculously overrated.

In fact, if not for the movie made about him, you would have a tough time telling Oher from Jonathan Scott.:rofl::rofl:

The Steelers didn't get a typical Troy Polamalu day, but James Harrison did a nice impersonation.

Working mostly against the aforementioned Oher, Harrison had seven tackles, three of which were for losses, three sacks, two QB hurries and two pass defenses.

He got a little dinged up chasing Joe Flacco out of bounds for a sack in the fourth quarter, but did not miss a play.

Brett Keisel was elevated to the Pro Bowl in place of injured Dwight Freeney on Sunday.

Don't be surprised if Ziggy Hood makes it there next season.

Hood continued his strong late-season surge with five tackles and a sack Saturday.

Shaun Suisham's poor kickoffs are going to force the Steelers to seriously look at other kickers this offseason.

ETL
01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I actually thought suisham did a nice job and cundiff who was supposed to be mr. Touchback had all his kicks returned. In fact I don't recall any of cundiff's kicks going into the end zone and several of Suisham's did. That's comparing him to the pro bowl kicker.

theplatypus
01-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Suisham booted a couple into the endzone, but not quite deep enough to be touch backs. A few of his shorter kicks were called intentionally. At least I hope they were or he really needs to work on his consistency.

SacknificentStew56
01-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I loved the performance by Ziggy in the game. And when he would get up and let it be known to the Ratbird's offense as well. Boldin got a serious cardio workout yesterday because all he did was run around only to be blanketed by our Blitzburgh D. The screen plays to our speedy rookie wideout were lovely. I hope we can include them more throughout next weeks game.

LukesDad88
01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
He got a little dinged up chasing Joe Flacco out of bounds for a sack in the fourth quarter, but did not miss a play.

My 8 year old and I were LOAO during that play, calling Flacco chicken boy. I have never seen a professional football player look so scared in my life. He just plain panicked. That play was the epitome of the 2nd half.

WeegiesWarriors
01-16-2011, 01:20 PM
I know Suisham's kickoffs were hitting the end zone but I wonder if the hang time was average for an NFL kicker. Because the coverage didn't seem to be as far down the field as you'd expect on a kick into the end zone.