PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu - all over again?

ETL
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Bowl 40 - Denver knocks off the best available team in the AFC (Pats) making the path to the SB easier for the Steelers

Super Bowl 43 - Baltimore knocks off the best available team (Titans) making the path to the SB easier for the Steelers

Super Bowl 45? --- Jets knock of the recently ordained and immortalized Patriots making the path a little easier ....

steeltheone
01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Or is it 2001 when we wanted the pats to beat the raiders...That didn't work out.

sharkweek
01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
lol, the Jets could be having the kind of year we had when we won XL... Its Sanchez's second year (just like Ben) and they're a #6 seed having to play and beat #3, #1 and #2 to move on to the Superbowl. Of course we also had to beat the NFC's #1 seed as well once we made it to the Superbowl.

4xSBChamps
01-16-2011, 08:14 PM
just to keep a little perspective on recent history regarding home playoff games everybody thought the Steelers 'should've' won

1992 ~ seeded #1, Pittsburgh hosts #4 Buffalo a week after their emotional comeback win over the Oilers, yet lose 24-3, facing reserve QB Frank Reich, not Jim Kelly

1994 ~ seeded #1, Pittsburgh hosts the San Diego, spending the week before the game making plans for a Super Bowl video (Ray Seals' idea, as I recall), then lose 17-13 to a poor Charger team

1997 ~ seeded #2, the Steelers play at-home when #1 KC loses in the Divisional Round, but loses to a Denver team that hadn't won a Super Bowl yet, 24-21, when Elway was considered a 'choker' by many

2001 ~ seeded #1, the #2 Cheatriots beat the Steelers 24-17 a week after their game in the snow against the Raiders (aka - the 'tuck' game)

2004 ~ seeded #1, the Steelers get blown-out at Heinz on a frigid evening by New England 41-27 in a game that wasn't-even that close

I don't mean to rain on peoples' parade, but Pittsburgh isn't a lock by any-means, and are just 1/2-way up the hill towards the prize:
it gets steeper from here on-in.

SteelerCountryGirl
01-16-2011, 08:17 PM
It is about time that the Pats got beat down again. It is so nice to see different teams play. I know we have been through many playoffs and there are people who cannot stand us Stillers with 6 superbowl rings and 1 more on the way possibly.

I predict Bears vs Stillers for the bowl.

wootawnee
01-16-2011, 08:32 PM
It is about time that the Pats got beat down again. It is so nice to see different teams play. I know we have been through many playoffs and there are people who cannot stand us Stillers with 6 superbowl rings and 1 more on the way possibly.

Dam...I wanted to beat the Pats down...Oh well.....

ETL
01-16-2011, 08:32 PM
just to keep a little perspective on recent history regarding home playoff games everybody thought the Steelers 'should've' won

1992 ~ seeded #1, Pittsburgh hosts #4 Buffalo a week after their emotional comeback win over the Oilers, yet lose 24-3, facing reserve QB Frank Reich, not Jim Kelly

1994 ~ seeded #1, Pittsburgh hosts the San Diego, spending the week before the game making plans for a Super Bowl video (Ray Seals' idea, as I recall), then lose 17-13 to a poor Charger team

1997 ~ seeded #2, the Steelers play at-home when #1 KC loses in the Divisional Round, but loses to a Denver team that hadn't won a Super Bowl yet, 24-21, when Elway was considered a 'choker' by many

2001 ~ seeded #1, the #2 Cheatriots beat the Steelers 24-17 a week after their game in the snow against the Raiders (aka - the 'tuck' game)

2004 ~ seeded #1, the Steelers get blown-out at Heinz on a frigid evening by New England 41-27 in a game that wasn't-even that close

I don't mean to rain on peoples' parade, but Pittsburgh isn't a lock by any-means, and are just 1/2-way up the hill towards the prize:
it gets steeper from here on-in.

There is no way i am not going to be happy about the jets beating the pats. We get a home game and we get Sanchez instead of Brady. I'm sorry but that is the best possible thing that could have happened with this game. We still have to go out and play well but it is better than going to Foxboro - i've said it a million times on this board - lets hope we avoid going to NE

CargoJon
01-16-2011, 08:42 PM

I wonder when they're going to quit referring to Brady and Belicheat as a "dynasty". They haven't won a ring in 6 years and we've won 2 since their last one.

Steel_Bus_24
01-16-2011, 08:44 PM
I said it last week too

Do not be Fooled!!!!!

This will be a total war until the end

Ive seen it all year.....Rex Ryan has made a deal with the devil this year......so many funky things have went their way....

They're bringing their A game...including Sanchez.....hes not going to go all Flacco

We can't get caught playing their Trash Talking games......and someone better get a hold of Kemo an remind him

Its going to take a monumental effort in both Mind and Body to beat these guys

Good News....the Steelers are very capable

LVSteelersfan
01-16-2011, 08:48 PM
They were a so-called dynasty for about 5 years. I don't think they were that good personally. Mostly luck and cheating got them where they were. Brady did a good job with what he had to work with this year, but they were not really a good team like in the past.

ggoldman
01-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Polamalu will rip up Sanchez's errant throws, and make him pay for even the slightest mistake he is sure to make

sarahpalinhater
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
lol, the Jets could be having the kind of year we had when we won XL... Its Sanchez's second year (just like Ben) and they're a #6 seed having to play and beat #3, #1 and #2 to move on to the Superbowl. Of course we also had to beat the NFC's #1 seed as well once we made it to the Superbowl.

Yes true. Except Ben in his second season had damn near a 100 QB rating, and totally KILLED the teams he played to get to the game. As where Sanchez is just surviving, and being lead by his running game and defense. And Sanchez had 29 TD's and 33 Interceptions after his two seasons. As where Ben had 34 TD's and 20 Interceptions, and basically is 10 times the talent that Sanchez will ever hope to be.

ETL
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
I think the Pats are a good team and a great team at times. I think the cheating thing was overrated and they beat a lot of teams after they were caught.

If not for a miraculous catch by David Tyree - Brady would have 4 SBs.

I am glad the pats got knocked out - they are a really good football team and it would have been hard to face them

CargoJon
01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
I think the Pats are a good team and a great team at times. I think the cheating thing was overrated and they beat a lot of teams after they were caught.

If not for a miraculous catch by David Tyree - Brady would have 4 SBs.

I am glad the pats got knocked out - they are a really good football team and it would have been hard to face them

It wasn't a miracle catch by Tyree that lost them that SuperBowl. It was the inability to protect Brady and the rest of that final drive that NY made that the Patriots couldn't stop. They let Plax walk into the end zone for God sake.

They haven't won a ring since they got caught cheating. Think about that for awhile. :coffee:

wootawnee
01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
It wasn't a miracle catch by Tyree that lost them that SuperBowl. It was the inability to protect Brady and the rest of that final drive that NY made that the Patriots couldn't stop. They let Plax walk into the end zone for God sake.

They haven't won a ring since they got caught cheating. Think about that for awhile. :coffee:

Brady got his ass handed to him that day, old school style........I thought I was watching Joe Greene and Ernie Holmes that day........

Tulsa
01-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Still bothered by the thought of this game. 1 more yard.

ETL
01-16-2011, 09:08 PM
I hate Brady - can't stand how he gloats after he makes a great play.

I hate Pats fans - they think they are so entitled and their whole franchise turned around because of basically one player - above mentioned Brady

But i can't in all good consciousness say that they are a weak team. All this Pats bashing is you guys taking shots at the giant once someone else has slayed the giant. To me, that's no different than what the Ravens fans are whining about.

Did I enjoy brady getting hit? hell yea!

Did I enjoy brady sulking and looking sad because he lost? hell yea!

But to call them a weak team and fake is just bush league in my view. I feared them and thought our best chance of going to the SB was not to play them. And I am glad that the Jets did that for us.

My attitude does not water down any joy over winning a championship because we did what no other team did - win all the do-or-die games when it counted. But i am glad we are not facing them.

7steelcurtain5
01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I said it last week too

Do not be Fooled!!!!!

Ive seen it all year.....Rex Ryan has made a deal with the devil this year......so many funky things have went their way....

They're bringing their A game...including Sanchez.....hes not going to go all Flacco

We can't get caught playing their Trash Talking games......and someone better get a hold of Kemo an remind him

I have to admit, I did not expect the Jets to win tonight.

caseyviator
01-17-2011, 09:54 AM
hey SINCE BENS ben there we dont lose afc championship games. i mean his first full year startin in the big ones the "in their prime desting" type players always win these games. i said from the start this steelers team with ben will win 4 superbowls this will definately be number 3.....

ben is playing his god like best and the defense will step up to shut people down. the first jets game we should have won they tackled sanders on 2nd down as he was gonna catch the game winning floater in the endzone...and this was done with out our best player on d troy and with out our gammer te miller...so all in all we r fine and should win by 10 poinTS.

TRH
01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I said it last week too

Do not be Fooled!!!!!

They've been a lot like us. Making something out of nothing, a little luck falling their way, then finding a way to win it .

wootawnee
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
I hate Brady - can't stand how he gloats after he makes a great play.

I hate Pats fans - they think they are so entitled and their whole franchise turned around because of basically one player - above mentioned Brady

But i can't in all good consciousness say that they are a weak team. All this Pats bashing is you guys taking shots at the giant once someone else has slayed the giant. To me, that's no different than what the Ravens fans are whining about.

Did I enjoy brady getting hit? hell yea!

Did I enjoy brady sulking and looking sad because he lost? hell yea!

But to call them a weak team and fake is just bush league in my view. I feared them and thought our best chance of going to the SB was not to play them. And I am glad that the Jets did that for us.

My attitude does not water down any joy over winning a championship because we did what no other team did - win all the do-or-die games when it counted. But i am glad we are not facing them.

Don't Blame us cause you fear the Patriots......You got a phobia and need your head checked, cause we in Steeler nation don't fear anybody......We are the ones who intimidate......Where are you from, Cleveland?

The Pats suck now that they got no Defense......Winning in the regular season is one thing.....Winning in the post season is another.........Their defense is so week......They choked ......Their supposedly great twin tight ends CHOKED........They are the ones looking bush league.....
The Steelers look like hall of famers when they take the field......Put that in your pipe and smoke it......

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81475828.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548F78B5CA4192036B7 A17C505AEF76AC359D916EE9B2D0635F

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/images/lambert_sd_big.jpg

ETL
01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Don't Blame us cause you fear the Patriots......You got a phobia and need your head checked, cause we in Steeler nation don't fear anybody......We are the ones who intimidate......Where are you from, Cleveland?

The Pats suck now that they got no Defense......Winning in the regular season is one thing.....Winning in the post season is another.........Their defense is so week......They choked ......Their supposedly great twin tight ends CHOKED........They are the ones looking bush league.....
The Steelers look like hall of famers when they take the field......Put that in your pipe and smoke it......

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81475828.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548F78B5CA4192036B7 A17C505AEF76AC359D916EE9B2D0635F

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/images/lambert_sd_big.jpg

20:20 hindsight. Don't ever confuse my loyalty and love for the Steelers with my analysis of football. Meatheads like you think every Steeler should be in the HOF and the Steelerz should win every game ever. And something tells me that you think you are a better more worthy person because you are a Steeler fan. Well, you did nothing! You were just lucky to pick a winning team to root for and that's all.

Steelers need to play better than they did against the Ravens to beat the Jets. Did that statement upset your Steeler dunk fest?

grward
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
There is no way i am not going to be happy about the jets beating the pats. We get a home game and we get Sanchez instead of Brady. I'm sorry but that is the best possible thing that could have happened with this game. We still have to go out and play well but it is better than going to Foxboro - i've said it a million times on this board - lets hope we avoid going to NE

Careful what you wish for. I wasn't going to get to upset no matter what the outcome of the Jets/Cheatriots was. No way was I going to cheer for a team that could possibly beat our Steelers ... and that is either team.

MDSteel15
01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Brady got his ass handed to him that day, old school style........I thought I was watching Joe Greene and Ernie Holmes that day........

What are you smoking? :popcorn:

wootawnee
01-17-2011, 09:27 PM
What are you smoking? :popcorn:

Im just sayin.....The G-men put a beatin on the Pats like The Steel Curtain did on Staubach in the ole days......Thats all I meant.......The G-men front four took that game over.....

wootawnee
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
20:20 hindsight. Don't ever confuse my loyalty and love for the Steelers with my analysis of football. Meatheads like you think every Steeler should be in the HOF and the Steelerz should win every game ever. And something tells me that you think you are a better more worthy person because you are a Steeler fan. Well, you did nothing! You were just lucky to pick a winning team to root for and that's all.

Steelers need to play better than they did against the Ravens to beat the Jets. Did that statement upset your Steeler dunk fest?

First....That was one heckava game the boys played saturday........I mean they were down 14 points to the Ravens and pulled it out......That is a hard thing to do in my book......I dont think very many teams could have done that against that D......And I like how we roll with the punches and do whatever it takes to win.....Style points out the window like Tomlin says........The Jets are big sqeakers this season....They sqweaked out several big wins......We did a couple, but they did more that Half of their wins I would say.......Wins are wins.....So I can swallow that.......

Oh yea...Calling me a meat head does not make your fears go away.....Go seek some professionlal help for that.......

And listen here fella, the fans have much more than you think of the outcomes of these games.........Their is alot of energy that comes from them grandstands.......All fans do something in one way or another........

Basically what Im saying to you is the only thing to fear is fear itself......I truly beleive that statement..........I don't mean to hurt your feelings and all.......I just dont want my fellow Steeler fans to be afraid to go up against anybody........I myself really wanted to go up in Foxwhatever the name is and take out the holy of all holy's, but the Jets got those honors, so I'll take what I get with this game at home against the dudes in green......

ETL
01-17-2011, 11:16 PM
First....That was one heckava game the boys played saturday........I mean they were down 14 points to the Ravens and pulled it out......That is a hard thing to do in my book......I dont think very many teams could have done that against that D......And I like how we roll with the punches and do whatever it takes to win.....Style points out the window like Tomlin says........The Jets are big sqeakers this season....They sqweaked out several big wins......We did a couple, but they did more that Half of their wins I would say.......Wins are wins.....So I can swallow that.......

Oh yea...Calling me a meat head does not make your fears go away.....Go seek some professionlal help for that.......

And listen here fella, the fans have much more than you think of the outcomes of these games.........Their is alot of energy that comes from them grandstands.......All fans do something in one way or another........

Basically what Im saying to you is the only thing to fear is fear itself......I truly beleive that statement..........I don't mean to hurt your feelings and all.......I just dont want my fellow Steeler fans to be afraid to go up against anybody........I myself really wanted to go up in Foxwhatever the name is and take out the holy of all holy's, but the Jets got those honors, so I'll take what I get with this game at home against the dudes in green......

Fine. If the Steelers had to face the Pats, I think we would have had a fighting chance - especially as LeBeau has improved the offense. But I like that we are playing at home and not at Foxboro.

I also don't think the Pats are a weak or bad team, just because they lost to the Jets. The Jets played them well but all throughout the season, the Pats were blowing teams up including us. The final score did not reflect how they thoroughly dominated us in that game in all phases. Our defense could not stop shyt and our offense got garbage points at the end. If you call them chumps, then we are loser of the chumps.

wootawnee
01-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Fine. If the Steelers had to face the Pats, I think we would have had a fighting chance - especially as LeBeau has improved the offense. But I like that we are playing at home and not at Foxboro.

I also don't think the Pats are a weak or bad team, just because they lost to the Jets. The Jets played them well but all throughout the season, the Pats were blowing teams up including us. The final score did not reflect how they thoroughly dominated us in that game in all phases. Our defense could not stop shyt and our offense got garbage points at the end. If you call them chumps, then we are loser of the chumps.

We were not doing bad in that game....Had some dropped td's...But, we were only down one score and driving when we had a tipped ball pick 6 that burried us........I thought we were gonna gcome back until that fluke tip ball.......

pghfrank62
01-18-2011, 06:49 AM
I hear what you saying, but I think this is focused on the prize. I can remember each of those let downs and especially the Odonnell meltdown in SB XXX. I have a good feeling about this AFCCG at home against team they can match up player for player except QB thats the edge. !!!!!!!