PDA

View Full Version : Martin nance

siss
04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
It seemed that everyone was excited about Martin Nance.
I havn't seen his name mentioned a whole lot. Is he kinda out or do you think the steelers might take him in the 3rd round?

clevestinks
04-25-2006, 08:01 AM
I`m not sure he would still be availbale late third round, and I guess it depends on what we do earlier

Suitanim
04-25-2006, 08:16 AM
His stock has dropped A LOT. I remember when his name was mentioned as being a possible first rounder (back when he was Ben's favorite target), then he got hurt, and the guy who replaced Ben was quite a step down talent-wise, but he still had a damned good season last year with 81 catches for 1,107 and 14 TD's. I found this blurb about him at one of the rating websites:

"Nance has the size and toughness to catch the ball in the middle, but also has the footwork and cut ability to beat corners. He runs crisp, sharp routes, and his long arms and strong hands give his quarterback a welcome target. Despite his imposing size, Nance has great agility and athleticism. He is a smart player, who wants the ball with the game on the line. With his integration of size and finesse, Nance is one of the premier receiving talents in football."

I'm not sure why he's free falling, but I look for us to pick him in the 3rd round.

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 08:42 AM
heres what rivals.com has to say. i think they have him the highest ive seen rated at the 5th best wr:

Pros: Nance has the hands and size to win most matchups. He has excellent leaping ability and has shown he can get open despite average speed. At the Senior Bowl he completed an excellent final season with a strong performance against NFL-caliber corners. He catches the ball well in front of his body with his huge hands and uses his body to shield and outmuscle defenders. He has fine strength that allows him to fight off the bump and run, and he uses his hands well to disengage from defenders. He is strong going over the middle with the ability to take a hit and hold on to the ball. He is especially effective in the red zone with the ability to come back and adjust to the ball in flight.
Cons: He needs to improve his defensive recognition. He missed most of his junior season with a knee injury, but proved healthy in his return as a senior.
Numbers: As a senior he caught 81 passes for 1,107 yards (13.7-yard average). As a sophomore he caught 90 passes for 1,498 yards (16.6-yard average). Over his career he scored 26 touchdowns, despite limited action in both ’02 and ’04. At the combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds with a 33?” vertical and 9’4” broad jump.
Skinny: He is similar to NFL receivers David Terrell and Marcus Robinson in size, athleticism and receiving skills. Over time, he carries a definite starting grade. Marginal top 75 prospect and good third round pick, but may drop into the fourth round.

Suitanim
04-25-2006, 08:50 AM
I've seen him as high as #59 on draft value boards, and there will definitely be interest in him in rd 3. The question is, is this the guy the Steelers want? We know Ben wants him, but I don't believe he's visited the Steelers. Is he worth moving up a bit in the 3rd for?

clevestinks
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
If we havent picked a WR by the third, and if he is still availbale, then take him!

IF

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
I've seen him as high as #59 on draft value boards, and there will definitely be interest in him in rd 3. The question is, is this the guy the Steelers want? We know Ben wants him, but I don't believe he's visited the Steelers. Is he worth moving up a bit in the 3rd for?i look at ben as a kid whos been good all year and wants a new bike for x-mas. the steelers took plex away from him. while he got heath last year its time to give ben a new toy. i think just the perceived steelers interest in him is gonna drive up his stock, which is probably why theyve been quiet with him (assuming this is the direction they are leaning.) if they KNOW he is better than f. gibson, then i say move up in the 3rd to get him. especially if they dont move up in the 1st or 2nd. trading back a few spots in the 1st or 2nd could land us a pick where nance could fall into our laps with the 1st of 2, 3rd round picks.

what i dont wanna see is there be 2 wr there and ben really wants and feels comfortable with nance and the steelers draft the other. while hes not the gm or scouting dept. i think the steelers should be willing to flex a little and keep ben happy and excited about the upcoming season.

clevestinks
04-25-2006, 09:19 AM
i look at ben as a kid whos been good all year and wants a new bike for x-mas. the steelers took plex away from him. while he got heath last year its time to give ben a new toy. i think just the perceived steelers interest in him is gonna drive up his stock, which is probably why theyve been quiet with him (assuming this is the direction they are leaning.) if they KNOW he is better than f. gibson, then i say move up in the 3rd to get him. especially if they dont move up in the 1st or 2nd. trading back a few spots in the 1st or 2nd could land us a pick where nance could fall into our laps with the 1st of 2, 3rd round picks.

what i dont wanna see is there be 2 wr there and ben really wants and feels comfortable with nance and the steelers draft the other. while hes not the gm or scouting dept. i think the steelers should be willing to flex a little and keep ben happy and excited about the upcoming season.
Well said. And yes you know that Ben wants a new target badly, Cowher & Co. have to see this and give him what he wants, and what we need

Suitanim
04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
I just don't see how WR isn't a top priority for this team. Assuming we aren't going to move up, and the team has no interest in Moss, then this move makes an awful lot of sense, since the perception is that there is a massive drop-off in talent after the top 3 WR's are taken.

I'm thinking
#32 Ko Simpson
#64 John Alston (LB Stanford)
#96 Martin Nance

BUT if Carpenter is there at 32, then we look at a guy like Pat Watson (FS Florida State) or maybe a Darnell Bing if he's still on the board at 64. Then again, if Demetrius Watson is there at 64, I think they have to take him...it's enough to make your head spin.

Avoid Lloyd
04-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I just don't see how WR isn't a top priority for this team. Assuming we aren't going to move up, and the team has no interest in Moss, then this move makes an awful lot of sense, since the perception is that there is a massive drop-off in talent after the top 3 WR's are taken.

I'm thinking
#32 Ko Simpson
#64 John Alston (LB Stanford)
#96 Martin Nance

BUT if Carpenter is there at 32, then we look at a guy like Pat Watson (FS Florida State) or maybe a Darnell Bing if he's still on the board at 64. Then again, if Demetrius Watson is there at 64, I think they have to take him...it's enough to make your head spin.

Wow I can't wait to sit and watch this with a case of beer and some pizza.

Suitanim
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm hoping I'm done in time for the first pick...at this point, even THAT may not be the sure bet that everyone thinks it will be.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2006, 12:24 PM
I would like to get Nance if we can.Him and Ben already have a chemistry and I think he would be a much better WR option than ARE was and Wilson is.

But then again,I also think Quincy Morgan can step up and be our #2.

SteelerFanInCA
04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Nance sounds promising but I haven't given up on Morgan as well. Let's see how he bounces back from the injury. Because of the chemistry factor with Big Ben, I hope he is at least on our radar.

siss
04-29-2006, 05:52 PM
i look at ben as a kid whos been good all year and wants a new bike for x-mas. the steelers took plex away from him. while he got heath last year its time to give ben a new toy. i think just the perceived steelers interest in him is gonna drive up his stock, which is probably why theyve been quiet with him (assuming this is the direction they are leaning.) if they KNOW he is better than f. gibson, then i say move up in the 3rd to get him. especially if they dont move up in the 1st or 2nd. trading back a few spots in the 1st or 2nd could land us a pick where nance could fall into our laps with the 1st of 2, 3rd round picks.

So did Ben get the right Bike?

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 06:13 PM
So did Ben get the right Bike? if this isnt a shot in the arm for ben i dont know what is. i thought giving him m. nance would be a new bike. well here you go ben, a new bike with shiny rims, long tassels, and a nice horn to boot. id say they gave him a 10 speed and it speaks volumes that they are willing to start building the team around HIM

siss
04-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Hopefully it will be the Bike he didn't know he wanted!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Is he going to wear a helmet with this new bike? :toofunny:

siss
04-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Lol,
It depends, is there a law that says you have to?

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Nance is a stretch now that we have Holmes! I really don`t see it happening. M.Robison maybe later!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Any more WR's in this draft would be a stretch IMO, good call buddy !

So we have: Ward, Wilson,Washington,Morgan, Morey(mostly ST though), and now Holmes. I think the FO is pretty content with that lineup. Especially when you add Heath Miller into that mix.

siss
04-29-2006, 07:49 PM
We are going to give defenses headaches this year!
I love it!

siss
04-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey it looks like Ben got 2 bikes this year. He must have been a realy really good boy! I suppose I can let the Martin Nance thing go!

Rotorhead
04-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Well from the looks of it we may be getting Nance as an undrafted rookie . . . I bet they will bring him in if he is not drafted by anyone else and he will have to earn his spot on the team. That will be easier for him since he already has a comfort with the starting QB!

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 01:47 PM
See the thing for me is Martin Nance would have been a better pick then Charles Davis.

Rotorhead
04-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Well he will mean that much more to the team (think W Parker) if he has to earn his spot, you know that if he isnt drafted Ben will be bugging everyone to give him a shot!

siss
04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
I think Ben's next career is gunna be recruiter!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Ben has more influence on this team than people probably realize..and its been increased 10 fold since the playoff run and SB win. Ben is the future for us,and if he wants someone, the FO will atleast listen and give consideration. They may not act on it, because we always draft for team first, not what a player wants...like ray ray and the ratbirds do...

but Ben gets his shot to talk to the staff when its comes to picks, u can bet on that.

Ohio Steeler
04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
See the thing for me is Martin Nance would have been a better pick then Charles Davis.

I happen to agree with you but I guess this is why we dont get payed to make these choices

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 08:19 AM
I wonder what is wrong with Nance? It's one thing to be passed over by the team of your old QB, but for the other 31 teams to also take a pass? There's either more going on here that we don't know about, or we need to imeediately get on the horn and get this kid signed.

clevestinks
05-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Did Nance get picked up today? Anywhere?

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Somebody reported that Buffalo picked him up...

OX1947
05-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Nance didnt even get drafted, did he?

Ohio Steeler
05-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Nance didnt even get drafted, did he?

nope and has yet to sign with anyone as a free agent draft pick

OX1947
05-03-2006, 02:37 AM
nope and has yet to sign with anyone as a free agent draft pick

Wow, I know we have 80 recievers now but would it be worth it to bring him in as a free agent to see what he's got?

tony hipchest
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
like suit said he went to buffalo. and hank baskett went to vikings. it would be amazing if 2 unm lobos made the team. (r. cook)

siss
05-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Good for him. I wish him well. I still think it woudl have been great for steelers to get him. But I like who we got.

Suitanim
05-03-2006, 12:53 PM
There HAS to be a reason we don't know about as to why he wasn't drafted...the LOWEST I saw him on any draft value board was 5th round.

clevestinks
05-03-2006, 02:56 PM
If he was worth picking up, dont you think Ben would have been in the ear of the entire front office?

siss
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM
I think he learned his last year with the whoel plexico thing. And they got him Holmes. I think he's happy he has a new toy.

Ohio Steeler
05-03-2006, 03:25 PM
If he was worth picking up, dont you think Ben would have been in the ear of the entire front office?

I was thinking the same thing maybe he is not cut out like we think he is and Big Ben let them know just that or maybe Big Ben just did not want to have a old team mate on the team because he did not want others to think he would only look for him or something along that line

Hines86Ward
05-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing maybe he is not cut out like we think he is and Big Ben let them know just that or maybe Big Ben just did not want to have a old team mate on the team because he did not want others to think he would only look for him or something along that line

I don't think that Ben would tell the FO that Nance wasn't cut out for the job, they WERE roomates in college. I used to live right off the campus & Nance was the best WR I've seen come out of the MAC since Randy Moss. He got hurt a year ago, but that was the only thing that could've held the Steelers back from getting him. He did though, bounce back and produce good numbers last season with a sub-par QB. I just wish we could've got him...

tony hipchest
05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't think that Ben would tell the FO that Nance wasn't cut out for the job, they WERE roomates in college. I used to live right off the campus & Nance was the best WR I've seen come out of the MAC since Randy Moss. He got hurt a year ago, but that was the only thing that could've held the Steelers back from getting him. He did though, bounce back and produce good numbers last season with a sub-par QB. I just wish we could've got him... maybe he liked to blaze the ganga like randy moss and ben felt it better to alert the team of this fact.

siss
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Ben's roomate was Micheal Larkin in college.
Jeez know your Ben trivia (some would call it useless information).
Did you know he's allergic to cats?:bouncy:

tony hipchest
05-03-2006, 05:45 PM

and horses and seagulls too. and crows and mangy muts.

HE MUST DESTROY THEM ALL

Hines86Ward
05-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Ben's roomate was Micheal Larkin in college.
Jeez know your Ben trivia (some would call it useless information).

One year it was Larkin, another year it was Nance

rowedf
05-05-2006, 08:37 AM
I highly doubt that Ben goes into the front office and tells them what to do, HIGHLY doubt that. Perhaps, they might ask him about a guy he knows well, but even that I doubt the FO puts much weight on, he's a qb, he does his job, they manage the team, they do their job, I just don't think players have that much influence, especially a young guy who has only been in the NFL for two years.

Midnightwriter07
05-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I am sure they did ask bens opinion of him and what type of person he was ect ect as they may do with any kid that someone knows or played with they may have an interest in. Nance just wasnt what we were looking for.

Hines86Ward
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I really would've loved to have Nance on the roster. He's a tall WR, and in my opinion, we need a tall WR.

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I really would've loved to have Nance on the roster. He's a tall WR, and in my opinion, we need a tall WR. theres always fred gibson.

seems like nance either had some unknown (to the media) problems or wasnt likely to beat homes, reid, or washington for a roster spot = wasted pick.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I really would've loved to have Nance on the roster. He's a tall WR, and in my opinion, we need a tall WR.

I hear that often but if it were true then Jurevicius would have made the difference for the Seahawks in XL.

Players not size win matchups.

Midnightwriter07
05-06-2006, 11:27 AM
If that is what we wanted we would have taken Chad Jackson instead of Holmes. When you have speed guys such as Wilson, Reid, Holmes, Washington who all run a 4.3 something ----4.4 ... then to add a sure handed receiver such as Ward and throw in Miller and if nothing else .. still have Morgan ... I think we will be alright and Gibson is proof of that. nance may not have even made this team if selected.