PDA

View Full Version : 2 Seahawks concussed and carted off the field...

tony hipchest
01-16-2011, 11:25 PM
... both resulting from below the waist contact. :hunch:

one was a head to knee collision, and the other was dude falling on his head after trying to hurdle and getting hit in the leg, and flipped.

where you at roger goddell?

what are you gonna do? make playing football illegal?

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
... both resulting from below the waist contact. :hunch:

one was a head to knee collision, and the other was dude falling on his head after trying to hurdle and getting hit in the leg, and flipped.

where you at roger goddell?

what are you gonna do? make playing football illegal?

Former head of officials Mike Pereira said on Fox after the second concussion when the Seahawk was hit with a knee that the league may start requiring pads that players have quit wearing (such as knee pads) to be worn to reduce the force of a knee or other body part hitting a head - he sounded serious :noidea:

Maybe they can have the players wear the plastic bubble wrap pads that Peyton Manning is wearing in that Sony ad with Jim Nantz I have seen around 50 times over the past month

Fire Arians
01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
i felt bad for the seahawks, they looked like the 7-9 team they were and just was brutalized by the bears. that was an ugly game

VegasStlrFan
01-17-2011, 12:05 AM
There was a helmet to helmet in the Pats / Jets game that actually knocked stickers or something off helmet and it didn't get a flag. It seems like the hitting hasn't been as readily flagged as it was in the regular season.

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 12:09 AM
There was a helmet to helmet in the Pats / Jets game that actually knocked stickers or something off helmet and it didn't get a flag. It seems like the hitting hasn't been as readily flagged as it was in the regular season.

He led with his shoulder though, the officials have become more aware that if you lead with your shoulder, helmet to helmet colission will happen. They don't allow leading with your helmet at all. If you lead with your helmet and only your shoulder hits them, its still a penalty.

As for the knee to the helmet, that's like a 1 in a billion chance, when is the last time anyone got hurt by that? Using more knee pads wont hurt anyone, but players are uncomfortable in them.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 01:35 AM
He led with his shoulder though, the officials have become more aware that if you lead with your shoulder, helmet to helmet colission will happen. They don't allow leading with your helmet at all. If you lead with your helmet and only your shoulder hits them, its still a penalty.

As for the knee to the helmet, that's like a 1 in a billion chance, when is the last time anyone got hurt by that? Using more knee pads wont hurt anyone, but players are uncomfortable in them.

more than you'd think. at least the one time i had a concussion playing football was when i was trying to tackle a running back that had about 20-30 lbs on me and I went low. last thing I remember was seeing his knee, then being in a doctor's office lol.

weird thing is the whole time i was conscious and was still in the game for a few more plays after that, and was told I didn't remember plays that the captain was calling. coach took me out of the game cursing at me for being out of position then realized something wasn't right. obviously not, my memory is blank on all of that, i don't even remember being driven to the hospital.

anyway yeah, that one time at band camp.. lol, just saying though it's not totally uncommon.

OX1947
01-17-2011, 02:16 AM
Former head of officials Mike Pereira said on Fox after the second concussion when the Seahawk was hit with a knee that the league may start requiring pads that players have quit wearing (such as knee pads) to be worn to reduce the force of a knee or other body part hitting a head - he sounded serious :noidea:

Maybe they can have the players wear the plastic bubble wrap pads that Peyton Manning is wearing in that Sony ad with Jim Nantz I have seen around 50 times over the past month

Knee pads aren't going to do schlong to prevent that. I have been kicked in the head with a padded knee and it is just as bad. It feels like someone shot you in the head with a 12 gauge. Roger Goodell needs to go away and go away far. He loves global marketing, go to england and stay there.

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 03:11 AM
more than you'd think. at least the one time i had a concussion playing football was when i was trying to tackle a running back that had about 20-30 lbs on me and I went low. last thing I remember was seeing his knee, then being in a doctor's office lol.

weird thing is the whole time i was conscious and was still in the game for a few more plays after that, and was told I didn't remember plays that the captain was calling. coach took me out of the game cursing at me for being out of position then realized something wasn't right. obviously not, my memory is blank on all of that, i don't even remember being driven to the hospital.

anyway yeah, that one time at band camp.. lol, just saying though it's not totally uncommon.

I know its not totally uncommon, I saw it happen in the NFL like twice in the last 7 years. The NFL it seems more uncommon because the helmets are a lot stronger than helmets from highschool and college(depending on the college). Like to get hit in the head by a knee that hard is very uncommon, there shouldn't be made rules over something that isn't common. The TO rule and the Tom Brady rule are a lot more commong, even though they are still uncommon in general...

But players get concussed more by falling on the back of their head. Whether they are getting tackled backwards, or jumping up for a ball, just landing on the back of their head is the most common way I've seen players get concussions. Not helmet to helmet hits (the top of your head is the strongest, WWE wrestlers usually hit other wrestlers with chairs directly on the top of the head because it does almost no damage)

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
I know its not totally uncommon, I saw it happen in the NFL like twice in the last 7 years. The NFL it seems more uncommon because the helmets are a lot stronger than helmets from highschool and college(depending on the college). Like to get hit in the head by a knee that hard is very uncommon, there shouldn't be made rules over something that isn't common. The TO rule and the Tom Brady rule are a lot more commong, even though they are still uncommon in general...

But players get concussed more by falling on the back of their head. Whether they are getting tackled backwards, or jumping up for a ball, just landing on the back of their head is the most common way I've seen players get concussions. Not helmet to helmet hits (the top of your head is the strongest, WWE wrestlers usually hit other wrestlers with chairs directly on the top of the head because it does almost no damage)

true the equipment is better in the NFL no doubt, but the players are also much bigger and faster than high school/college level so the danger level is probably still higher.

TRH
01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
i've seen a bunch of helmet-to-helmets in this years play-offs and not a word of any fines or anything. so much for "fair and balanced" huh? Goodell picks and chooses.

Can't hit high. Can't hit hard. Can't launch. Can't go for knees. Damn, pretty soon, you'll HAVE to go either flag football or "michelin man" type of suits