PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's comeback ability second to none

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Roethlisberger's comeback ability second to none
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_718525.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 17, 2011

A piece of unsolicited advice to coach Rex Ryan and the New York Jets: Do not, repeat do not, give Ben Roethlisberger a second chance to win a game at the end of it if you want to go to your first Super Bowl since Joe Willie Namath owned Broadway.

The Jets visit the Steelers on Sunday in the AFC Championship Game, and the one thing that stands out about their 22-17 victory at Heinz Field on Dec. 19 is what didn't happen.

Roethlisberger led the Steelers down the field in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter but came up agonizingly short.

That is one of the few times during his career that Roethlisberger has not delivered with the game on the line.

He still threw for 68 yards and rushed for 22 more in leading the Steelers to the Jets' 10-yard line before consecutive incomplete passes ended the Steelers' comeback bid.

The Jets may have vanquished Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the way to their second consecutive AFC title game. But they don't exactly get a bargain with Roethlisberger, as Ryan noted after his team's stunning 28-21 upset of New England yesterday.

"Now (it's) 'Mission Impossible, Round Three,' " Ryan said.

The Ravens probably wouldn't argue that Ryan laced the Jets' next assignment with some hyperbole, given how the Steelers ended Baltimore's season Saturday.

Roethlisberger led the Steelers on an 11-play, 65-yard touchdown drive after the Ravens had tied the score at 24.

Roethlisberger's 58-yard pass to rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown set up Rashard Mendenhall's 2-yard scoring run.

And it only bolstered the argument that he is as clutch as any quarterback of his generation -- and may go down as one of the greatest gamers of all-time. Remember: Roethlisberger is only 28 years old.

"I have confidence in our guys. It's not just me by any means; all I have to do is throw it," Roethlisberger said of his penchant for late-game heroics. "The guys did a great job of protecting on the long pass play. I just had to throw it up and let them make a play."

Such humility probably wouldn't play too well in Baltimore, where Roethlisberger may be as reviled as Robert Irsay, the owner who moved the beloved Colts from the Charm City to Indianapolis in 1984.

He improved to 9-2 lifetime against the Ravens and again found a way to beat them at the end of a high-stakes game.

Roethlisberger's success against the Ravens is just a reflection of what he has done since going 13-0 as a starter as a rookie during the 2004 regular season -- no quarterback has ever done that in the NFL -- and then leading the Steelers to a Super Bowl title the following year.

"He may not be Brady or all the other guys, but you can't knock the guy for what he has done," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He is a proven winner in the playoffs. And me as a player, I am just glad to be a part. When I see him in that huddle, I know I've always got a chance to win a ballgame."

The Jets probably share the same sentiment after watching Roethlisberger nearly snatch a victory from them a month ago.

"He's proven time and time again that he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league," Steelers tight end Heath Miller said. "He doesn't get a lot of respect outside of here, as much as he deserves. Hopefully we can bring home a ring this year to solidify that. Maybe his game isn't as pretty as some of the other quarterbacks who stand in there and throw the ball, but I think he's one of the best at what he does."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 12:20 AM
I'll take ben over brady any day of the week. And I will say that he possibly is the better qb out of the two.

Don't think so?

- Brady's accuracy is worse than Jamarcus Russell when he's facing pressure. Ben is capable of making amazing throws when there's 300lb linemen wrapped around his waist.
- Brady can't make plays out of the pocket. Flush him out and it's a negative play or incomplete pass. Flushing Ben out of the pocket is a death sentence to a defense.
- With how bad brady is throwing the ball with the pass rush in his face, I'm almost positive that if he was the Steelers QB, we wouldn't even be in the playoffs right now

and if we wanna talk about rings and championships, as we all know, this is a 'what have you done for me lately?' league.

Championships since 2005: Ben -2, Brady -0

Congrats Tom, you're now the new peyton manning. Fantasy football MVP, but a choke artist. I guess since they can't cheat anymore they won't win any championships

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
I say this about Brady all the time, he's been a play off choker since 2005, Manning atleast won a champion ship since Brady won one, so he truely is the new Manning. But when you try to convince this to Patriot fans, they say "well he has the 3 rings from so many years ago. Yes thats a great thing, but thats in the past, he's a has been now.

OX1947
01-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I guarantee you, if Big Ben wins 2 more games, all the "he doesn't get enough credit or nobody believed in him" talk will be thrown out the window. He wins two more games, and Big Ben will cement a first ballet hall of fame ticket to canton.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 12:40 AM
I guarantee you, if Big Ben wins 2 more games, all the "he doesn't get enough credit or nobody believed in him" talk will be thrown out the window. He wins two more games, and Big Ben will cement a first ballet hall of fame ticket to canton.

i think he's a first ballot even if he doesn't. but I have a good feeling about this year

OX1947
01-17-2011, 12:46 AM
i think he's a first ballot even if he doesn't. but I have a good feeling about this year

If the Steelers win on Sunday, look for Big Ben to have a masterful Super Bowl. It will be a Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman type Super Bowl for him. 300 yards and 3 or 4 TDs.

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
If the Steelers win on Sunday, look for Big Ben to have a masterful Super Bowl. It will be a Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman type Super Bowl for him. 300 yards and 3 or 4 TDs.

Ben needs a superbowl MVP type superbowl to get him into the Hall. As much as I like him, superbowl 40 was just shameful for a quarterback. 2006 was a terrible season. He's only 7 years in, with a comeback drive in 1 superbowl, its hall of fame worthy, not first ballot. If he wins this year, and its a big win, then he'd be first ballot, even if he retired after the superbowl.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 12:50 AM

that'll only happen if we're playing green bay and get caught in a shootout. if it's the bears, it'll be a low scoring game.

personally i've never been big on stats, as long as we win it's all good!

OX1947
01-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Ben needs a superbowl MVP type superbowl to get him into the Hall. As much as I like him, superbowl 40 was just shameful for a quarterback. 2006 was a terrible season. He's only 7 years in, with a comeback drive in 1 superbowl, its hall of fame worthy, not first ballot. If he wins this year, and its a big win, then he'd be first ballot, even if he retired after the superbowl.

Ah crap, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl. Hines Ward is going to retire. I forgot about that.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Ah crap, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl. Hines Ward is going to retire. I forgot about that.

dreaded this day but honestly, it will make the victory all the sweeter if we can send ward out a winner

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 12:54 AM
dreaded this day but honestly, it will make the victory all the sweeter if we can send ward out a winner

Ward said he's retiring if they go to an 18 game season regardless of a superbowl win or not, so lets hope the Steelers can send him out a winner.

Merchant
01-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Wouldn't trade him for anyone. If we got the ball with 2+ minutes left, 9/10 times he delivers.

Third Rail
01-17-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm not so sure that Hines will retire if we win it all this year. I know he's slowed down a bit, but he still comes up in big games and his regular season and post season numbers this year (780 yards, 6 TDs) are still very good. I think he might hang around at least one more year to aid in the transition to the younger receiving corps.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-17-2011, 01:27 AM

We sent out the Bus as a champ. I'd like to see Ward go out on a high note as well. Guy has a lot of offer to the game in other ways besides just catching passes.

OX1947
01-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Hines is signed threw 2013. If he plays it out, he would have played 16 years. Now, if the Steelers win it all, they might not be done so who knows. He could still go out a champ even if they win this year, later.

However, I did not know he said he would retire if there is an 18 game season. If that is the case, then this will be his last year. because that (bleep) sucker commissioner is going to use that as the last apple for a deal to be done.

Third Rail
01-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Yeah, Goodell is such a sleaze. Here's a $5 million question for you though.

Let's say Goodell is unable to get the owners and the players to come to a new agreement and football is cancelled in 2011. When this happens, the league finally wakes up and sees what an ineffectual asshole Goodell really is and gets rid of him.

So the question is, would you rather have football in 2011, or give it up to be rid of Adolf Goodell?

TOOLofSTEEL
01-17-2011, 01:51 AM

Let's say Goodell is unable to get the owners and the players to come to a new agreement and football is cancelled in 2011. When this happens, the league finally wakes up and sees what an ineffectual asshole Goodell really is and gets rid of him.

So the question is, would you rather have football in 2011, or give it up to be rid of Adolf Goodell?

Get rid of Goodell by far. One Steeler-less year of my life is better than one or MORE with Goodell turning it into flag football.

jjpro11
01-17-2011, 01:53 AM

he simply needs one more ring. the HOF will not keep out a 3-time Super Bowl winning starting QB.. he may have sucked in XL, but he was our offensive MVP throughout the playoffs that year. he played ridiculous for a second year player. of course everybody outside of Pittsburgh only remembers his performance in the Super Bowl that year.. but whatever.. a ring's a ring. 3 of them guarantees him a spot in Canton.

OX1947
01-17-2011, 01:56 AM

No joke, if I had a choice to lose the 2011 season to get rid of goodell, I would be for it 100%. I HATE roger goodell. He is a greedy, manipulative ahole.

And its not just his ruining of football. Its the 500 commercials from every end of the spectrum, its constant fines and rule changes on a whim. Its protecting certain players above anyone else. Is it a coincidence that as soon as he took over as Commish, there is a labor issue? No new stadiums are being built for teams who need it?

Paul Tags was good at two things during his 17 year reign as commish, building stadiums for teams and getting CBA's done before issues were made. That is what a commissioners job is to do. Help create business for his teams and keep both owners and players happy. This (bleep) has alienated everyone but owners the last 3 years.

Third Rail
01-17-2011, 02:04 AM
You're damn right. As much as I start chomping at the bit for more football once hockey is over, I would gladly give it up to be rid of Goodell's annoying antics forever. If it's not the CBA, hopefully something will get him fired.

Maybe he has a foot fetish video somewhere that will wind up on Deadspin. Or Wikileaks will release a bunch of tapes of conversations he's had with Belicheat explaining where he can plant cameras in stadiums so that they won't be detected. Just something. Get that despicable bastard out of there.

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 02:59 AM
he simply needs one more ring. the HOF will not keep out a 3-time Super Bowl winning starting QB.. he may have sucked in XL, but he was our offensive MVP throughout the playoffs that year. he played ridiculous for a second year player. of course everybody outside of Pittsburgh only remembers his performance in the Super Bowl that year.. but whatever.. a ring's a ring. 3 of them guarantees him a spot in Canton.

I think it's stupid to just put a guy who started in 3 superbowl wins in the HOF just because he was on a winning team. Yes he won the game in 2008, but what if they win this year, but he throws 4 interceptions, and the defense win the game. Does he really deserve to go in? What if from here on out after the win he has medicore seasons and loses in the playoffs. Does he deserve to be in? I don't know, I just don't think he's shown he's consistant enough for a long enough period of time.

But thats me, whoever votes for the HOF have different opinions. If it was me, I'd have a lot more offensive linemen in there lol.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2011, 04:57 AM
if ben wins 1 more SB and plays just 3 more years ...he'll pass troy aikman in every passing statistic. aikman was a first ballot. aikman only threw for over 20 tds in 1 time out of 11 years ...his stats reflect that of a "game manager". far from being "impressive" , but none the less , he's wearing 3 SB rings.
the same can be said for michael irvin... he's not even in the top 15 of any statistical catagory , but he was first ballot . yet chris carter who IS top 5 in most stat lists is still waiting.. why ? SB rings.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

Curtain_of_Steel
01-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Well I'm not worried at all about the Bears or the Packers. I think Ben and the Steelers can handle both of their offenses, and their defences although good, have weakness's.

Bears play NE and Packers twice. who else did they play, it was a cupcake schedule and gave up 38 points to Sanchez.
Cutler is another Flacco in the Clutch, the game is in line and I'm on def he is a top 5 guy i want on the other side of the ball.

Packers regardless of the Starks day parade, they dont have a running game. Which is going to be a problem when we know they are going to pass. Way to one dimensional.

Regardless, we need to get pass the JETS, which isn't going to be the easiest thing. Sanchez needs to be rattled early and the def secondary needs to stay on top of the wr's for the quick slants and crosses and constant dink off that sanchez needs to do. Ryan has proven yesterday again, he has no confidence in sanchez.
First and goal and he runs the ball 3 times, loses 11 than misses a 30 yard fg? Tossing the rock for a TD wouldve gave Sanchez all the confidence he needed for the game. Instead it reminded him that his coach has no confidence in him.

Get to Sanchez!