PDA

View Full Version : Madden: Steelers can't be Raven about win

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 01:20 AM
Madden: Steelers can't be Raven about win
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2011/january/17/madden-steelers-cant-be-raven-about-win.html
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times

Monday January 17, 2011 12:10 AM

Nice game, Steelers. Gutsy.

But you’ll have to play much better than that to beat the New York Jets.

There’s no dismissing the Steelers’ resilience. No doubting — ever again — the clutch nature of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who pulled a nail out of the Steelers’ coffin on third-and-19 and hammered it into the Ravens’.

Any other town, they’d already be building a statue of Roethlisberger. That’s OK. I’ll do it myself.

But special teams were a disaster. Consider Baltimore’s fourth-quarter punt-return touchdown that got penalized back to the Steelers’ 29 but still set up the Ravens’ game-tying field goal. The Steelers committed three penalties on special teams. Shaun Suisham missed a 43-yard field goal.

One-for-two in a playoff game: Sounds about right for Suisham.

Chris Kemoeatu: Idiot, selfish or both? He dove violently into the pile after what turned out to be the Steelers’ game-winning touchdown, got flagged and pushed the kickoff back to the 15. Players get cut for less.

Speaking of stupid, the entire offensive platoon stood around and watched Baltimore’s Cory Redding pick up a live ball and stroll into the end zone. Play to the whistle. That’s Football 101.

Sloppiness. Two turnovers. Nine penalties for 93 yards. Missed tackles. Even Troy Polamalu was often a day late and a dollar shot.

No complaint about the result. A win is a win is a win, even more so in a playoff situation. Even more so against the Ravens, half of a rivalry coach Mike Tomlin accurately described as “Hagler-Hearns.”

Tomlin showed fortitude in the final quarter when he spurned a short go-ahead field-goal attempt to go for it on fourth-and-one. Roethlisberger sneaked past the sticks, but the Steelers still had to settle for three points four plays later. If the Steelers get stopped, Tomlin gets crucified.

Next Sunday goes beyond fortitude. Beyond slugging it out with an enemy. This is a shot at the Super Bowl. Don’t dare underestimate the Jets. They won a best-of-three against New England. Beat the Steelers at Heinz Field. The Jets are formidable. They have a “team of destiny” feel.

The villain in this past Saturday’s game? Believe it or not, it wasn’t a Raven. The officials seemed determined to ruin this game from the start, and certainly made it grind to a halt on more than one occasion by calling 15 penalties for 167 yards. It was a rough game. It wasn’t Afghanistan.

The hero? That’s easy.

Roethlisberger not only continues to further his reputation as a catalyst that wins big games, he is actually gaining ground on Tom Brady as football’s best quarterback. He doesn’t have the sheer numbers, and may never. But he continues to string together signature moments in the manner of his hero, John Elway. “Third-and-19” will resonate for quite some time.

In the end, it’s about how many Super Bowls you win. Roethlisberger could yet win more than Brady. Needs to beat Brady head-up in a playoff game, too. But that can’t happen this season.

Meantime, let’s enjoy the last moment of Steelers-Ravens III: T.J. Houshmandzadeh drops Baltimore’s final hope. JACKPOT!

OX1947
01-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Good article, Kemo has really been one dumb idiot this year on some of his mistakes. He cost the Steelers in the first meeting against the Ravens. Almost cost them in this one.

Special teams is killing the steelers. They need to cover like they never have in their lives the next game and hopefully Super Bowl. Cromartie has been huge on returns, if Brad Smith comes back, he already won them the game in week 15. And if they face the bears in the super bowl, Hester will carve them up if he gets a chance to return. HAVE TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS. And someone needs to sit that fat (bleep) Kemo down and tell him to quit being a dumb (****) when it matters.

Third Rail
01-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Agreed with everything Madden said here... we NEED to iron out the problems on special teams. Don't get me wrong... we are LIGHT YEARS ahead of where we were last year under Bob Ligashitsky (What did we have? 6 games in a row where we allowed a special teams touchdown?) but we can't be giving up good yardage and we can let Brad Smith or Antonio Cromagnon or whoever run one back.

And yeah, Kemo, stop being a dumb shit! I'm sure Tomlin ripped him a new one for that stupid hit late in the game. At least I hope so.

JackHammer
01-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Good read. I agree with a lot of what he's saying, but I think we'll be just fine. For starters, you can bet your ass that this Steelers team IS NOT overlooking the Jets. I don't see us having two mistake laden games in a row either. On top of that, having both Heath and Troy this time around is going to make a very noticeable difference IMO. They won't be able to run the ball which means a lot of their offense is gonna be on Sanchez's arm, in his first ever game against one Troy Polamalu........... I'll take that match-up any day. And don't expect to see Heath dropping passes like Spaeth was the first time we met. I don't think it'll be easy, but I really like our chances in this one.

Third Rail
01-17-2011, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I like our chances too. We have the homefield advantage, which is awesome, and even though the Jets played well enough to beat the Cheats today, they still made TONS of mistakes. Sanchez, for his part, was actually one of the most stable forces in the game offensively. They came up short on a lot of runs and the receivers couldn't catch a ball at least 50% of the time. Our defense is better than the Patriots' defense, so we should be able to hold him off.

And even with Revis and Cromagnon at CB, I still see Ben having a big day throwing deep.

ZoneBlitzer
01-17-2011, 02:42 AM
This article sums up my thoughts precisely.

They ARE going to have to play a lot better and STUPID-BALL ain't going to get it done against the Jets.

Offense must get sharper and special teams must get their act together. Kemo needs to lose the roid rage too cause that ain't going to get it done.

I really hope they realize this because the Jets will be a very tough out.

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 02:48 AM
Speaking of stupid, the entire offensive platoon stood around and watched Baltimore’s Cory Redding pick up a live ball and stroll into the end zone. Play to the whistle. That’s Football 101.

21 players stood around, it was Redding, the only player to pick up the ball, and then 2 Ravens followed him. Even Ed Reed and Ray Lewis stood around confused.

Some players said after the game they did hear a whistle, maybe someone in the crowd blew a whistle or something, because to see almost everyone from both teams stand there is odd.

But Tomlin is going to play that for them over and over in the film room. If there is an incomplete pass thats low on the ground in the Jets game, every Steeler on the field will run towards it.

ZoneBlitzer
01-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Speaking of stupid, the entire offensive platoon stood around and watched Baltimoreís Cory Redding pick up a live ball and stroll into the end zone. Play to the whistle. Thatís Football 101.

21 players stood around, it was Redding, the only player to pick up the ball, and then 2 Ravens followed him. Even Ed Reed and Ray Lewis stood around confused.

Some players said after the game they did hear a whistle, maybe someone in the crowd blew a whistle or something, because to see almost everyone from both teams stand there is odd.

But Tomlin is going to play that for them over and over in the film room. If there is an incomplete pass thats low on the ground in the Jets game, every Steeler on the field will run towards it.

Yup. That's what I meant by stupid. I was stunned to see that.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 02:58 AM
i usually disagree with mark madden's articles but this one's spot on.

special teams worry me the most, and we need to realize that 1st half vs baltimore would be unacceptable from here on out.

with that said, I'm confident about this weekend.

pete74
01-17-2011, 05:14 AM
i dont have faith in our special teams so i would either bring in a kicker that can boot that ball out of the end zone or i would kick every single ball out of bounds next week

btaylor179
01-17-2011, 06:44 AM
im still confused as to why there wasn't a penalty called on Suggs for both his hands going up against Big Bens head on that fumble........o yea hes not brady or peyton!

Rick5895
01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
i dont have faith in our special teams so i would either bring in a kicker that can boot that ball out of the end zone or i would kick every single ball out of bounds next week

I am a little worried about ST as well. Hopefully Worilds will be healthy enough to play, he has been a beast on specials all season. If Allen can't go, that will be a tough replacement. My guess is Tomlin will have some of the Starters out there on coverage. I saw Ike on kick cover against the ratbirds after Allen got hurt.
Just trying to be optimistic rather than pessimistic, lord knows we will see enough of the pessimism this week by some posters.

JCPsteelers
01-17-2011, 08:09 AM
This is the best article I've read about the game. Completely agree with everything Madden said. We got to play a lot better this Sunday. Way too many mistakes, penalties and inefficent offense and special teams.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Great article, and well hit on points.

Any after the whistle PF should be fined by the club, especially in a playoff game. Including the Teflon Don Hines Ward. These guys don't get it. Let them hit you, win a golden globe, fall to the ground. Draw the flag. Giving weak chokable QBs like Flacco and Sanchez need every bit of fuel they can get. Getting those flags for Ben will put the other team away.

Special teams suck even when Suisham was putting it to the goal line. Piss poor. I dont get it, how year end and year out we can dominate on defense but we cant cover a dam kick off. Now we will be back to squib kicking against the Jets.

But no they prove time and again, they are stupid, self absorbed people with athletic abilities. Thats all. No brains!

TRH
01-17-2011, 08:42 AM
1. Tomlin needs to address the team this week and address "after the play is over skirmishes". Tell them to throw their arms up and walk away. Its not worth a 15-yarder.
No 'after-play' fights. No diving on piles. Mike needs to tell them NOT to do it....or you'll deal with harsh consequences from me.
Kemo's a grown man and a veteran. This shouldn't be hard to understand.
I've been watching Pouncey and he's a bit over anxious too after plays on getting in shoving matches and has been very lucky he's not been flagged more.

2. for those who say our S/T's aren't bad, i don't know what team they've been watching. We're just downright terrible. Can't tackle, whiff tackles, etc.
Whenever we go to kick-off or punt, its like "here we go again.....another long run-back coming, if not a TD".
We've been playing far too long this year deep in our own territory while giving the other guys awesome field position to start with.

3. As far as the missed tackles, hopefully Troy has a better game this week...i'm sure he will. And do we have to have Suisham show the other guys on special teams how to tackle? lol