PDA

View Full Version : Notes: Steelers hanging on to Taylor?

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Notes: Steelers hanging on to Taylor?
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/january/17/notes-steelers-hanging-on-to-taylor.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Monday January 17, 2011 12:08 AM

PITTSBURGH — Ike Taylor has yet to make the Pro Bowl. But he sure played like an all-star on Saturday.

One of the unsung heroes in the Steelers’ 31-24 playoff win over the Ravens was Taylor, a 30-year-old, eighth-year pro.

Several of the Ravens underperformed against the Steelers, most notably the wide receiver trio of Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Each of them came to Pittsburgh with over 600 career catches — Mason, 924; Boldin, 650; and Houshmandzadeh 616.

But against the Steelers, none of them were a factor. Mason and Boldin, Baltimore’s two starters, combined for just one catch for minus-2 yards.

Boldin dropped what should have been a touchdown in the fourth quarter. Later in the fourth quarter, Houshmandzadeh dropped a fourth-down pass that would have kept alive the Ravens’ last possession.

Still, credit goes to the Steelers’ secondary for solid pass defense overall, especially from Taylor.

For most of the game, Mason was defended man-to-man by Taylor. Mason did not have one catch.

“I thought we stood our ground (in the secondary) and challenged plays all day, particularly Ike Taylor,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “I can’t talk enough about the quality contribution we got from him.”

Taylor is in the last year of his contract. He wants to stay in Pittsburgh but it will be interesting to see what the Steelers are willing to pay him. He’d be a hot commodity on the open market if he’s not signed first by the Steelers.

In 2006, Taylor signed a five-year deal worth $22.5 million with a $6.4 million signing bonus. His base salary this year was $3.5 million.

HOOD HOLDS OWN

If and when Aaron Smith returns from his torn triceps injury, it will be interesting to see if he regains his starting job at left defensive end.

That’s not a slight against Smith, a 12th-year vet who’ll be 35 next year. Rather, it’s an endorsement for Ziggy Hood, who’s played well in his 11 starts as Smith’s replacement.

Hood, the Steelers’ first-round pick in last year’s draft, got his first taste of postseason play Saturday and fared well with four solo tackles including a fourth-quarter sack of Joe Flacco.

“There are still things I have to work on, but I feel good about the way I played,” Hood said.

Smith has been a true warrior for the Steelers. But Hood is showing signs that he could be the Steleers’ next great D-end.

SIGNS OF TIMES

Two slogans are becoming more popular by the hour throughout Steelers Nation: “In 7 We Trust” and “Knockin on 7’s Door.” Obviously, those are in reference to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s jersey number and the Steelers’ pursuit of their seventh Super Bowl victory.

WORD FROM THE TOP

Immediately after Saturday’s win, Tomlin could be heard saying, “Man, I do not want to coach in that Pro Bowl. I can go to Hawaii on my own dime.”

Tomlin was referring to the long-time NFL practice of the losing coaching staffs from the AFC and NFC championship games working the Pro Bowl.

Meanwhile, when Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney entered the locker room, he quipped that “We had ’em all the way.”

That, of course, was a line made famous by the late Bob Prince, the Pirates’ radio announcer. Mike Bires

Third Rail
01-17-2011, 01:58 AM
I really hope we keep Taylor. He has really impressed me this season. And given how well he matches up with the Ratbirds overrated receiving corps, he would continue to be a factor in crushing their Super Bowl aspirations, year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year...

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 03:24 AM
I really hope we keep Taylor. He has really impressed me this season. And given how well he matches up with the Ratbirds overrated receiving corps, he would continue to be a factor in crushing their Super Bowl aspirations, year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year...

If they did that, he'd be a 131 years old lol.
Lets just hope Taylor stays around for another 4 or 5 years

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 03:36 AM
i like ike, keep him

SH-Rock
01-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Ike is extremely underrated. Not the best but gets the job done.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-17-2011, 08:29 AM
How can you let Ike go? Especially when you have Aronn Smiths contract to use as play money? Thats 4.5mill plus whatever the new cba will be. Steelers should have plenty of money to sign their key players.

Furthermore no way Ziggy at his contact cost, and the way he is playing and continued to grow is going to the bench. That is not the steeler way. Smith hurt over th epast couple year, in fact carrying him late this year has cost a roster spot for an additional oline player.

TRH
01-17-2011, 08:35 AM
we have to keep him lol.....our secondary is running on fumes as it is

Buddha Bus
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
i like ike, keep him

Not only Ike, but LeBeau as well! :thumbsup::tt04:

http://www.musclecars.net/parts/parts-images-large/1952-eisenhower-i-like-ike-dick-nixon-campaign-button_110573327974.jpg

Curtain_of_Steel
01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Lebeau isn't going any place. I jut hope the coach in waiting, is learning a lot from Lebeau, not like the Eagles coach who apparently didn;t learn anything from Jimmy johnson and is now unemployed.

steelerdave1969
01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
I love Ike Taylor as well. He is a very good DB and if he actually had Great Hands he could or would average 7 or 8 Int's a season. He does well and is a Very Reliable Tackler . . u dont get that very much in todays games.
I also am loving what I am seeing from Ziggy Hood as well. The guy is really stepping up and proving why he was the Steelers no.1 pick a few years ago.

caseyviator
01-17-2011, 10:23 AM
GOTA KEEP IKE gota, WHO CAN WE GET BETTER FOR SURE noone thats who
sign him and get another great db and get sum o lineman.

play the tank redman more and cut moore. keeep HOOD AND SMITH.
DRAFT ANOTHER high rb and qb as well as o lineman.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Draft a QB? We dont need some 4th stringer in the 6th round.

Leftwich is plenty fine backing up Ben. Ben isn't going any place for 6-8 years.

scsteeler
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Ike will be around and while he may not get the INT's that other DB's get he is one of the better corners out there.