PDA

View Full Version : ]The Patriots Dynasty Officially and Unequivocally Dead

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
(What dynasty? There's no dynasty when a team cheats it's way to Super Bowls. They haven't won squat since they were caught.

I expect the homeless in Haiti will soon be wearing lightly used or new Patriots jerseys. - mesa)
http://kevin-blackistone.fanhouse.com/2011/01/16/the-patriots-dynasty-officially-and-unequivocally-dead/

The Patriots Dynasty Officially and Unequivocally Dead
By Kevin Blackistone
National Columnist | Follow on Twitter: @ProfBlackistone

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – It wasn't until Tom Brady failed to convert a fourth-and-long Sunday at the Jets' 34-yard line with about five minutes left and down by 10 points that I thought about the priest. I saw him swaddled in a heavy camouflage jacket in the raucous throng outside the Patriots' Gillette Stadium an hour before kickoff.

He must have come to administer last rites to the Bill Belichick & Brady bunch.

For when those final minutes expired and the scoreboard showed the Jets won, 28-21, it marked the second consecutive one-and-done in the playoffs for Belichick & Brady, their third playoff loss in a row and their fourth playoff loss in their last six postseason games since beating San Diego in an AFC Divisional playoff matchup in 2007.

The dynasty is dead. The Jets were the vultures picking at the carrion.

We now know for certain that the Patriots dynasty ended in 2008 Super Bowl when the Giants canceled the Patriots' bid for an undefeated season. The Patriots haven't been the same since.

"I think you always are [stunned]," Brady said of losing in the playoffs with high expectations. "It's like you're on the treadmill at 10 miles an hour and someone hits the stop button."

In this most recent case, it was the loudmouth Jets who pulled the plug. Like the Ravens going into Pittsburgh, they talked the talk. Unlike the Ravens, they backed it up and beat the Patriots again. It was the fourth time the Jets did so in the last seven meetings with the Patriots.

The Jets didn't just beat Belichick & Brady, though. They confounded them.

They outplayed them and Belichick was outcoached. (The only thing Belichick is a "genius" at is cheating. - mesa)

As the Patriots put together a 14-2 record heading into these playoffs -- scoring no less than 31 points in their last eight games after jettisoning Randy Moss for guys no one heard of like Danny Woodhead – whispers were heard comparing Belichick to Vince Lombardi after Belichick won this year's Super Bowl as so many of us expected. The muttering heard about Belichick after Sunday, however, didn't measure him against the NFL's most-legendary coach.

Now the secret is out on how to derail the Patriots, at least when it matters the most. The Ravens dismantled the Patriots' explosive offense a year ago in the playoffs. The Jets pulled it off again Sunday.
After all, Belichick never found an answer for the X's and O's his nemesis from the Jets, Rex Ryan, threw at him all day. He was so discombobulated by it all that he resorted to Don King trickeration to turn his fortunes around. He called a fake punt late in the second quarter at his team's 37-yard line. It was reminiscent of something his mentor, Bill Parcells, did in the 1987 Super Bowl against Denver.

For Parcells, it worked. For Belichick, like most everything else on Sunday, it failed.

A bad snap doomed it from the start. Less than a minute later, the Jets turned the mistake into a touchdown and a 14-3 halftime lead.

"We just made a bad mistake on the play," Belichick said in his usual deadpan. "I'm not even going into it."

Belichick also refused to elaborate on what may have been a costly decision before the game to bench Brady's favorite target, the diminutive slot receiver Wes Welker, on the opening series as punishment for Welker's subtle digs at Ryan last week over the foot fetish revelations involving Ryan and his wife.

It was as surprising an act as was the mild-mannered Welker's stand-up routine before the media last week where he wise-cracked about Ryan and Ryan's wife with 11 references to feet. I didn't know Belichick paid attention to such things or that what Welker did called for such a reaction. I wonder how Belichick would have responded to Welker had he been busted for drunk driving, as was the Jets' receiver Braylon Edwards last year. Ryan benched Edwards for the first quarter of a game as punishment. Ryan was criticized for being lax. Maybe Belichick wanted to show he had higher standards than the bur in his saddle from New York.

Said Welker, who caught seven passes for 57 yards, after the game: "That's a coach's decision, the game plan. You can ask the coach about that stuff. I'm not going to really comment on that stuff."

Welker's impact on the game spoke for him, though. He had little.

It may have contributed to Brady being out of rhythm much of the outing, making Brady unable to bail his team out as the Jets kept it just enough out of reach. (Aw little Marsha must have been on her period. - mesa)

Brady was uncharacteristically bad from the start, unless you consider this was a playoff game. (Marsha chocked! - mesa) In his previous playoff game last year at home against the Ravens, Brady completed just 23 of 42 passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns and was intercepted three times. He was better on Sunday, compiling 299 yards on 29 completions, including two TDs, out of 45 attempts. But much of it came too late and the one interception he tossed created momentum for the Jets early in the game that they never relinquished. It appeared almost a nonchalant pass on a screen that Jets' linebacker David Harris snared easily and returned 58 yards to the Patriots' 12-yard line.

The Jets didn't turn it into a score but it zapped what looked like a methodical scoring drive the Patriots were on. The Patriots made four easy first downs before Brady's faux pas. It was Brady's eighth interception against 11 touchdowns in his last six playoff games.

This was the second time Belichick & Brady went into the playoffs with an offense that was lighting up scoreboards at a record pace only to fizzle prematurely in the playoffs. Ryan employed a defensive scheme that refused Brady a big pass play and was positioned properly to catch Brady's favorite water bugs like Welker and the equally little running back Woodhead. (Once again defense wins championships. - mesa)

Now the secret is out on how to derail the Patriots, at least when it matters the most. The Ravens dismantled the Patriots' explosive offense a year ago in the playoffs. The Jets pulled it off again Sunday.

And unless the Patriots can retool their offense with a more traditional running attack and some bigger targets for Brady to throw at, this story is likely to play out again and again, if they even get this far.(Hey Airhead maybe you should use a traditional running attack. - mesa)

The golden Patriots era is over. ("golden", All that glitters is not gold. The Cheat era was nothing more than hype. I should post this article on Ratbird board just the brighten their day. - mesa)

steeltheone
01-17-2011, 08:07 AM
They are young and set to reload thru the draft. This was not supposed to be they year they thrived.

Buddha Bus
01-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Good read as usual, Mesa. I love watching the arrogant Pats* get their comeuppance. Too bad it was the equally arrogant Jets, but at least we get a home AFC championship game outta the deal! :thumbsup:

PalmCoastSteelerFan
01-17-2011, 08:13 AM
I thought Pittsburgh had some tough fans, until I started reading the reader comments from the Boston Herald. It seems that even the Patriot faithful are realizing that the "dynasty" is over. Here's just a sample:

The worst thing that has ever happened to the New England Patriots is someone named Gisele Bundchen.
When your *star* QB would rather be photographed with his wife's lap dog in is arms as opposied to a football in his arms, then your team in in serious trouble.
Brady has lost his edge.
The pussification of America continues.
Anyone seen Tom Brady's Gonads?
Oh well, off to Cost Rica for the winter with the super model.......
pretty boy comes up small again. blow this bum team up! the jets punched you in the face and you did nothing.give the mvp to vick!
Last 3 playoff games= Choke by Brady and the Coaching Staff..Period
I'd rather go 8-8 and let it go in December than to be put through this again.
No it's not as bad as the choke in the 08 SB, but it's close.
Two f*ng weeks waiting for this??? As we stay here stewing and taking the abuse from the JETS, all the secondary goes home (down south) with their bikes and homes and krystal and s*it. Tom goes globetrottin' with his wife attending modeling shows in NY, making appearances... am I p1ssed?! F*CK YEAH! Waste of season. I hope someone's head rolls. IDIOTS!!!
They must have WANTED to lose, never seen a more idiotic game plan, oh wait, was there a game plan? All receivers in a 6 foot area? Kill the clock in the 4th quarter even though you are down by two scores?
THAT SUCKED, HUMILIATING TO LOSE TO THE LOWLY JETS.

... and it just goes on and on like that. Fun reading.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1309990&format=comments&cnum=1

TRH
01-17-2011, 09:20 AM
i don't even think i'd call it a "dynasty" to begin with..............

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
They are young and set to reload thru the draft. This was not supposed to be they year they thrived.

Agreed - they are going to get a big receiver to stretch the field and with their youth and draft picks are set up to be in the chase for a Lombardi for the next several years until Brady declines- but for the first time since they started winning in 2001 they now have someone in their division who is not afraid of them

Sixburgher
01-17-2011, 10:13 AM
What's the shelf life of a "dynasty" exactly? They haven't won anything in six years.

SacknificentStew56
01-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Dynasty is winning four or more Lombardies in a decade.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
well, they have a young team and 2 1st round draft picks next year. as much as i hate to say it, they're going to be sticking around.

MDSteel15
01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
When are these idiots around the league going to stop handing the Patriots all these F'ing draft picks??? I just don't understand....:banging:

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Their 3/4 run of Super Bowls was idential to our's in the mid-90's - after we won 3 of those 4 Super Bowls(yes, the 3rd one was against you guys :wink02: ), we got old, the salary cap got to us, the OL and the "triplets" were running out of gas, FAs departed elsewhere, etc, etc.

We tried to start over, but it didn't work the 2nd time around. Sure, Jerry's a puppetmaster, but to be honest, even if Jimmy had stuck around, we probably would have had the same results. It wasn't like Jimmy did any better in Miami.

So yes, the Pats just don't have that same personnel like they did before. No leadership on the D side, the OL is getting old, Brady is getting past his prime, Belichick is getting past his prime too, etc.

OX1947
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Patriots have an unprecedented draft coming up. 8 picks in the first 4 rounds, 2 in each round. They may have another 2 or 3 year run.

I'm getting to the point with the Pats where the Boston area heavy writers and columnists that report out of BSPN have put this team, its coach and QB on a level that is WAY overstated. Yah, Belicrap is a great coach, ya, Tom Brady is a great QB, but not in the sense that they have been built.

Tom Brady has choked just as much as Peyton Manning, if not worse the last 5 years. Belicrap has been out coached just as much as Tony Dungy and the Caldwell's, but for some reason, that is set aside because of past wins. Well, Manning has won in the past too. Dungy had won in the past too. Why is Manning looked on as a choker? Give Manning the Pats D of the early 2000's, and he is sitting with 3 or 4 super bowls.

Football is a team sport. And it is the ultimate team sport. All it takes is one dumb decision by a safety on a punt before the half to screw up and ruin you in a big game. So, stop pumping guys as God's, especially when they lose 3 straight big games in a row, 2 of them at home. Even Joe Montana, the clutchest player in the books according to most lost in 1985, 1986, 1987 when his team was a juggernaut.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Their 3/4 run of Super Bowls was idential to our's in the mid-90's - after we won 3 of those 4 Super Bowls(yes, the 3rd one was against you guys :wink02: ), we got old, the salary cap got to us, the OL and the "triplets" were running out of gas, FAs departed elsewhere, etc, etc.

IMO the 90s Cowboys would have won 4 straight SBs and been regarded as the greatest team of the pre-free agency/salary cap NFL if Johnson had not left after 1993 - the 1994 NFC championship game loss to the 49ers was in San Francisco - having Johnson rather than Switzer as coach in 1994 not only would have provided better coaching but might have resulted in a better regular season record that would have led to that championship game being played in Dallas

Dallas would have beat down San Diego as easily as the 49ers did that year

BrandonCarr39
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
IMO the 90s Cowboys would have won 4 straight SBs and been regarded as the greatest team of the pre-free agency/salary cap NFL if Johnson had not left after 1993 - the 1994 NFC championship game loss to the 49ers was in San Francisco - having Johnson rather than Switzer as coach in 1994 not only would have provided better coaching but might have resulted in a better regular season record that would have led to that championship game being played in Dallas

Dallas would have beat down San Diego as easily as the 49ers did that year

What hurt us in both SF games that year was the turnovers. In previous years, we won the TO battle against the Niners, in these 2 times, it was a different story. Merton Hanks(their Pro Bowl safety) came up big pick-pocketing Troy in the 1st meeting. And Mike Shanahan made adjustments by rolling out Steve Young more to get away from the pressure. The Niners also stock-piled on D to match-up better against us. They got pass-rushers and Deion.