PDA

View Full Version : Fans Won the Game

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Fans Won the Game
Heather's Corner Desk
January 17, 2011 - Heather Ziegler
http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/blogs.detail/display/1188/Fans-Won-the-Game.html

It was an experience of a lifetime to sit in the stands at Heinz Field on Saturday to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Baltimore Ravens. It was my first time to experience such a game in person and to be part of the crowd of fans unlike any I've witnessed for other sporting events including basketball, hockey and baseball. I

t was an incredible effort on the team's part to come back from a devastating halftime when the Steelers were down by two touchdowns. However, the team and fans came back at halftime re-energized. From the minute the team stepped on the field for the second half and until the last second ticked off the clock, the fans never let up on their support whether it was for the Steelers' awesome defense or the amazing performance-in-a-clutch-situation offense.

We spent more time on our feet than in our seats as the noise level could be heard 60 miles away if you just listened for it! A sea of black and gold flooded that stadium. When the military jets did a fly-over before the game, the crowd went crazy. It was very moving, together with the huge American flag unfurled over the field. On tv you don't get to see all the extra stuff that goes on inside the stadium.

TV doesn't hone in on players on the sidelines dancing and whipping the crowd into a frenzy. You can't smell the sausage and peppers cooking on the grills at the tailgate parties in the parking lots. And after the game, there were no strangers. Everyone was hugging someone. High-fives were exchanged everywhere. And as the wave of humanity exited the stadium, people chanted cheers and literally jumped for joy.

I know it was just a football game in the world of some things more important, but for just one day all was right with the world for Steeler fans and that's a whole lot of people. On to Sunday... Here we go, Steelers, here we go!

(So much for that troll's opinion that Heinz is a morgue. - mesa)

Curtain_of_Steel
01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Renegade tunred it up than came the turnovers

steelerdave1969
01-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Its great to see a post like that for sure. I'm sure it would be awesome to be in that crowd at Heinz Field.

cloppbeast
01-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Compare that to the Patriots fans who were clearing the stadium out after the Jets scored the last TD - with like 4:00 minutes on the clock!

Although it would have been a long shot, the Patriots still had a chance to win the game. I don't care how cold it is, if there's time on the clock and you're a real fan, your *** should be in your seat.

Patriot's fans don't deserve to get to watch their team win another championship.

TailgateMel
01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
The game was so friggin awesome.. anyone that says "I was glad to be home warm on my couch" doesn't know what they missed. We literally sat down twice in the game during commercials.. we were standing the rest of the time.

Here is my video of the flyover, my phone died right after that, so I didn't get any more video.

3wR8L0uXPpg

SteelWolf62
01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I have yet to experience a game at Heinz Field but always have surround sound on and it seemed like that 3rd turnover had everyone stoked. Loudest I've ever heard it and no I didn't have it any louder than usual.

StainlessStill
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree. Heinz Field may have been the loudest yet and that's hard to top Troy's interception in last years Title Game. Even when we seemed down and out, our fans really brought it, and brought it all game long. The atmosphere at Heinz Field and at Steelers games is something that needs to be witnessed. I wish I can spend it with all of you.

After the game, that article is right. There ARE no strangers. I hugged so many people that my arms were cramping. Amazing. Steelers fans are simply AMAZING!

lionslicer
01-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I actually could hear the crowd from my house, faintly, but I heard it... But I only live like 3 miles from downtown and can see it from my house lol

NoFieldFive
01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
that was my first game there...awesome experience.

was the fly over a little early? the National Anthem was still being played. maybe that was planned but they seemed to be about 10 seconds early on the fly over.