PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Sun - Replace Flacco With Bulger?

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
After Saturday's debacle the Joe Flacco is an elite QB bandwagon certainly has emptied out - this excerpt from a Q&A with Baltimore Sun columnist Mike Preston piles on

I understand you don't change quarterbacks lightly and I did not advocate a change during the season. But based upon what you have seen, is Marc Bulger a better quarterback than Joe Flacco? I saw Bulger years ago and he was impressive.

Mike Preston: I saw Bulger in training camp, and thought he was better than Flacco. I still think he is better than Flacco because of his quick decision-making and ability to make tight throws in small windows. I understood and agreed with the Ravens' decision to stick with Flacco, because he is their long-term answer. But after three years of watching Flacco, I don't have the confidence in him to believe he is the answer. I would try to re-sign Bulger, and have an open competition at quarterback next season.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-mike-preston-ravens-qa-0117,0,5100559.story

Going to be a brutal offseason in Charm City:chuckle:

Buddha Bus
01-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Mike Preston generally seems to be an antagonistic sportswriter in Baltimore. He rarely takes the popular opinion of the Baltimore sports fan. I think he thrives on the angry reactions he gets there and is not a beloved writer in that city fan-wise. I, however, find him to mostly be fair and non-homerish in his evaluations of the Ravens.

I also am underwhelmed by Flacco as an NFL QB. He's OK, but can be rattled and confused. He checks-down way too much and seems to be regressing more and more into an overly cautious QB. In his first couple of seasons, he seemed to air it out more and take chances with lesser receiving talent. I don't think it bodes well for his future if he becomes more reserved with this set of receivers he currently has.

Wallace108
01-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Mike Preston generally seems to be an antagonistic sportswriter in Baltimore. He rarely takes the popular opinion of the Baltimore sports fan. I think he thrives on the angry reactions he gets there and is not a beloved writer in that city fan-wise.

You just described Mark Madden. :chuckle:

Although I find the criticism funny, I think this might be an overreaction after a tough loss. I don't think they can pin the loss on Flacco. I think the Steelers defense deserves a little credit. :thumbsup:

Buddha Bus
01-17-2011, 11:33 AM
You just described Mark Madden. :chuckle:

Although I find the criticism funny, I think this might be an overreaction after a tough loss. I don't think they can pin the loss on Flacco. I think the Steelers defense deserves a little credit. :thumbsup:

Not exactly like Mark Madden who can be a complete douchebag. Preston just calls it as he sees it. I guess me saying he's an antagonistic writer isn't totally correct. He just antagonizes the Baltimore fan-base by being honest in his assessments of the team and not donning his purple pom-poms all the time. The fans there get VERY worked up over Preston criticizing the team in any fashion.

I definitely agree that the Steelers D should get a ton of credit, but championship caliber QBs have to find a way to beat these types of defenses when it comes playoff time and Flacco hasn't shown the ability to do that when it counts the most... yet. I don't think they should give up on him just yet, but they should start being concerned.

tony hipchest
01-18-2011, 12:55 AM
im pretty sure i had said at soem point before all 3 ravens games this year that the worst thing we can do is knock joe flacco out of the game. his late game collapses have always been keys to victory to us.

i still believe the worst thing we did in the 2001 champ game was knock out tom brady and bring in drew bledsoe who had already won an AFC Champ game and had superbowl experience.

brady was getting shaky before he went down and i think his legendary status coulda fully been altered had he been capable to finish and lose that game.

we havent seen mark bulder play with the likes of ravens defense, offensive line, and wr's te' for years (if ever).

he is schooled in the mike martz/cam cameron/don coryelle offense, and made kurt warner expendable.

the ravens built a 'win now" offense and left the most important component to winning now, sitting on their bench, for the sake of their young franchise qb's psyche.

they cant have their cake and eat it too, and for that i laugh.

Fire Arians
01-18-2011, 01:13 AM
bulger with all the weapons at WR, that would be dangerous. actually i'd be more nervous facing bulger than flacco tbh

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2011, 01:14 AM
But after three years of watching Flacco, I don't have the confidence in him to believe he is the answer.

all i can say is , the chargers had no confidence in drew brees after 3 years either .
with that said , i really do believe flacco is missing something. he plays with no passion. the guy is like a robot out there. shows little to no emotion when something good, or bad happens ....:noidea:

GMU Steeler
01-18-2011, 01:32 AM
I don't think Bulger is the answer. The problem I think is Ravens fans and writers desperately want after years of Trent Dilfers, Kyle Bollers at QB and not to mention our recent success with Ben a franchise QB. We were fortunate both to have Ben fall to us in the 2004 Draft not to mention the fact that he played on a solid level as a rookie. Their fans want Flacco to be that and he's just not on the level of skill where Ben was at that age. I think he's a good QB but he isn't good under pressure plus I think the Ravens have fouled up by going after older past their prime wide receivers to surround him with offensively. Look at what we did. In the two years following Ben's draft, we drafted Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes in the first rounds alone and more recently Rashard Mendenhall. It doesn't help at the same time their once vaunted D is starting to show some cracks and age in it. Still a very good one but much less fearsome than they were four-five years back.

lionslicer
01-18-2011, 08:27 AM
I love this. Guy leads your team to a 12-4 season and the playoffs and they already want to run him out of town.

Bulger is a dangerous quarterback, but there's a reason why he was 5 and 30 in his last 3 seasons with the Rams...

Buddha Bus
01-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I love this. Guy leads your team to a 12-4 season and the playoffs and they already want to run him out of town.

Bulger is a dangerous quarterback, but there's a reason why he was 5 and 30 in his last 3 seasons with the Rams...

Yep, it's called not having any talent but Steven Jackson around you.

lionslicer
01-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Yep, it's called not having anybody but Steven Jackson around you.

He still had Torry Holt, who was a pro bowl reciever in 2007, a terrible season for Bulger. He also had Bruce in 2007.

It wasn't until 2009 did Bulger have no weapons around him. Don't say he didn't have weapons, he did, he just failed at life for 3 seasons.

Buddha Bus
01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
He still had Torry Holt, who was a pro bowl reciever in 2007, a terrible season for Bulger. He also had Bruce in 2007.

It wasn't until 2009 did Bulger have no weapons around him. Don't say he didn't have weapons, he did, he just failed at life for 3 seasons.

Bulger also missed 5 games due to injury (2 in weeks 5 & 6 with a rib cage injury, 3 in weeks 12-14 with a concussion).

Steven Jackson missed the first 7 games of the season with a groin injury.

The Rams defense was also not very good.

The O-line was injury depleted as well.

Just sounds like 2007 was one of those years where a team just couldn't overcome the bad breaks. I'm not claiming Bulger is the second coming of Johnny Unitas, just that he had some injuries and a lack of talent around him. Failed at life for 3 seasons seems a bit harsh don't you think?

lionslicer
01-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Bulger also missed 5 games due to injury (2 in weeks 5 & 6 with a rib cage injury, 3 in weeks 12-14 with a concussion).

Steven Jackson missed the first 7 games of the season with a groin injury.

The Rams defense was also not very good.

The O-line was injury depleted as well.

Just sounds like 2007 was one of those years where a team just couldn't overcome the bad breaks. I'm not claiming Bulger is the second coming of Johnny Unitas, just that he had some injuries and a lack of talent around him. Failed at life for 3 seasons seems a bit harsh don't you think?

He still lost 10 games he played. Jackso played 12 games in 2008 and 15 in 2009, no excuse for Bulger. He had a terrible defense in 2006, but he still won 8 games, threw 24 touchdowns, only 8 intercetpions, 62% completion, 4300 yards. Not much changed the next 3 years, maybe an injury here and there, but enough to go from 8 games to 2? no way, that just doesn't cut it in the NFL.
He's not Warner, he's not going to have 3 shitty seasons then just come out and have HOF type seasons, it just wont happen.

Buddha Bus
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
He still lost 10 games he played. Jackso played 12 games in 2008 and 15 in 2009, no excuse for Bulger. He had a terrible defense in 2006, but he still won 8 games, threw 24 touchdowns, only 8 intercetpions, 62% completion, 4300 yards. Not much changed the next 3 years, maybe an injury here and there, but enough to go from 8 games to 2? no way, that just doesn't cut it in the NFL.
He's not Warner, he's not going to have 3 shitty seasons then just come out and have HOF type seasons, it just wont happen.

I'm not saying he's Warner, just that he may be better than Flacco. I still think the Rams' defense was a big part of their demise during that time period. They also had Trent Green at the time who didn't do anything either. You say Jackson played 12 in '08 and 15 in '09, but Bruce was gone then, so that offsets to some extent. It's a team game and you need more than one WR and one RB. I also never said anything about HOF type seasons. You're reading more into my posts than what is there.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-18-2011, 03:07 PM
That would be nice if they cut Flacco, we could sign him as a backup! :flap:

Nevermore
01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
The Ravens aren't going to bench Flacco. That is stupid. The guy has done really well and is developing. His numbers every year are improving and he shows serious potential to be a franchise QB, something the Ravens only dreamed about for the first 12 years of existence.

He is tied with Dan Marino for the most combined regular and post season wins in his first three years as QB and is the first QB to start and win a playoff game in each of his first 3 seasons.

Why would you get rid of that for an older (perhaps proven) QB that will leave you with nothing in the next 3 years?

I'm sticking with Flacco.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2011, 09:32 AM
The Ravens aren't going to bench Flacco. That is stupid. The guy has done really well and is developing. His numbers every year are improving and he shows serious potential to be a franchise QB, something the Ravens only dreamed about for the first 12 years of existence.

He is tied with Dan Marino for the most combined regular and post season wins in his first three years as QB and is the first QB to start and win a playoff game in each of his first 3 seasons.

Why would you get rid of that for an older (perhaps proven) QB that will leave you with nothing in the next 3 years?

I'm sticking with Flacco.

Don't blame us - it was the Baltimore Sun's columnist who raised the issue :noidea:

We report - you decide:chuckle:

I guess it depends if a team wants to be satisfied with making the playoffs or is all in to win the Super Bowl - a team obviously can on occasion win a Super Bowl without a star QB (see, e.g., Trent Dilfer ) but with today's passing games that appears to be less likely than ever

Nevermore
01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
No, I'm not blaming you. This dude is always bashing on the Ravens. I was just giving my counter argument to the people out there that want to abandon ship the second we don't win. 31 teams lose every year.

ricardisimo
01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Not exactly like Mark Madden who can be a complete douchebag. Preston just calls it as he sees it. I guess me saying he's an antagonistic writer isn't totally correct. He just antagonizes the Baltimore fan-base by being honest in his assessments of the team and not donning his purple pom-poms all the time. The fans there get VERY worked up over Preston criticizing the team in any fashion.

I definitely agree that the Steelers D should get a ton of credit, but championship caliber QBs have to find a way to beat these types of defenses when it comes playoff time and Flacco hasn't shown the ability to do that when it counts the most... yet. I don't think they should give up on him just yet, but they should start being concerned.
Folks in the burgh seem to feel the same way about Bouchette at the PG, just because he states facts about the team. It seemed like the old regime here at SFF would shut down threads if Bouchette was quoted in it.

TRH
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Folks in the burgh seem to feel the same way about Bouchette at the PG, just because he states facts about the team. It seemed like the old regime here at SFF would shut down threads if Bouchette was quoted in it.

thats true. As soon as Ben has a bad game, Bouchette wants to tie a cement block to him and take him out to sea......its ridiculous