PDA

View Full Version : Suspended for speaking my mind.

Livinginthe past
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
For those of you not aware of the fact - I was recently banned for 3 days for expressing certain political beliefs in the lockerroom forum.

It was the Bush, Peru and Democracy thread that allegedly caused the problems - some posters felt the need to complain to the forum mods - who then decided to ban me weeks after I initially began the thread.

The reason I have been given for the banning is that I set out to 'entice' an argument with certain posters here - which is completely untrue.

I was given positive rep by some posters for the opinions I expressed - but you arent going to have everyone agree with you on certain subjects

Suitanim and I have had some pretty large differences in the past but I thought we both made an effort to keep the content of that thread civil - I enjoyed most of what i read on it and felt I learnt something - which was the idea.

I was unsure as to whether to pursue this point, and risk a permanent banning but in the end I have been told that this type of retrospective discipline could well happen again - it appears my card has been marked.

Maybe there needs to be more guidelines as to what people are allowed to post - if I am going to be banned for expressing legitimate opinions, that I also backed up with links to real life articles, then its only a matter of time before I am banned again anyway.

I dont know what other peoples thoughts are on this, but I thought I would put this out there anyway.

I have made a special effort to not get dragged into petty arguments in the last couple of weeks and I try my best not to deliberately cause offense - yet it doesnt seem as its enough if someone takes a dislike to your opinion.

NM

83-Steelers-43
04-25-2006, 02:42 PM
That's a damn shame. The horror. :rolleyes:

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I saw nothing wrong with your posts. This is America isn't it? Maybe its because you hit a nerve with one of the mods, or because your a Pats fan. j/k

Livinginthe past
04-25-2006, 03:32 PM
That's a damn shame. The horror. :rolleyes:

Fantastic input as usual.

I can only presume that you are one of the people who complained to the mods.

NM

Koopa
04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
ppl on this forum are pussies, i hate to be blunt but **** some of ya'll not all, are a bunch of bitches, who the hell cries about others opinions to the mods and admin???? block a user if you don't like what they are saying stop being a snitch bitch

clevestinks
04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Is there ever total agreement when politics is the subject?

I thought between you and Suit there was some rather inteligent view points. And some of us, especially myself, could learn from these view points. I don`t always have time to watch, or read current events and do`nt consider myself a politics buff. So I rather enjoy, and learn from the to different sides.

clevestinks
04-25-2006, 03:39 PM
ppl on this forum are pussies, i hate to be blunt but **** some of ya'll not all, are a bunch of bitches, who the hell cries about others opinions to the mods and admin???? block a user if you don't like what they are saying stop being a snitch bitch
I guess that pretty much sums it up! LOL:sofunny:

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 03:47 PM
as a major participant in the thread in question i probably should share some of the blame with litp. i thought it was an engaging (although hot) topic and a fun back and forth debate. my viewpoints are never really intended to be offensive to any of our members (except for maybe natti and brown fans) let alone anyone who is browsing the forum, who has yet to join.

i actually enjoy and look forward to some of the heated debates w/ litp.

83-Steelers-43
04-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Fantastic input as usual.

I can only presume that you are one of the people who complained to the mods.

NM

Well, I don't know what you want me to say towards a thread such as this.

For the record....

You presumed wrong. I have better things to do than complain to the mods about you Nigel. Get a grip. You can believe me if you want, I really don't give a shit.

pucho58
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Welcome back Livinginthe past. Anyway thats sucks you got ban for expessing your opion. I remember that therad and yes it was getting heated but so what thats what happen when people starts talking about politics. I agree with Koopa that there are some bitches on this board. Remember, the United States is still#1:sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I missed it. I didn't even read the thread. But if you were posting your opinion and backing it up, there's no way you should get banned.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
this is not an appropriate way to go about discussing this, but since you brought it up...

Everybody has a right to speak their own mind on their own opinions on this forums, thats why it was created. Whatever political, sports, or otherwise views that anybody has can be freely expressed within the guidelines of the forums which the owner/admin has set forth in the "laws of the land" announcement that is posted on this forum. When 1 or multiple complaints come to the attention of the management it is our duty to investigate the situation and see if it is deemed to be a legitiment concern or not. while all the members will not always agree with any decisions handed down by SF management, we do our best to be fair and impartial in every instance.

Nobody is being blackballed and everyone has a right to their own opinion, and its not a matter of backing up your thoughts with links and legit information either. At the discretion of SF management the thread in question was flagged and reviewed and after review it was determined to hand down the suspension..based on the thread itself, complaints from some members, and based on communication between SF management and the parties in question.

BBC
04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
While I am not a big fan of posters publicly voicing their negative opinions about the site, and feel that this would be better suited as a PM to the Admin or to a Mod, it seems like you have a valid point here from what I have seen.

This is something that the staff should look at, and if they do feel that you were wronged, they should voice an apology to you, and see what they can do to get you back the three days. If they feel that the decision was the right one, than we should all move on, and just welcome you back and look forward to your posts.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Just add to my original thoughts in my reply in this thread.

This was a private matter, and was kept that way , for the sake of fairness and privacy for all parties involved. SF is a great place to hang out and has become a staple for most of us, on a daily basis. No matter what the subject though, bringing this out in the open is neither fair to management, the parties invovled, and is definately not good for the reputation of SF in general. SF management stands by its decision and it will not be changed. LITP is no longer suspended as the 3 day suspension has already been completed. It would be beneficial to just move on and enjoy SF for what its become so far and what it will become in the future thanks to ALL the great members here.

Suitanim
04-25-2006, 05:14 PM
I was gonna sit this out, but I gotta chime in.

This was not a banning, it was a temporary suspension...and this had less to do with any one thread than it had to do with an entire body of work.

How do I know this? Because I was issued a warning along with a few other posters (Including the author of this thread) and told in no uncertain terms that I needed to mind my p's and q's and that I was pissing people off. This was all well before the thread in question was even posted. In effect, I was told to try and take it down a notch and not be purposefully confrontational, which I complied with.

Without knowing the whole situation (Which this thread in no way shape or form represents, and I'm not going to attempt to get into), there's an awful lot of sympathy pouring out right now that's misplaced.

This is a private message board (That's why we all had to register), and it's not a Democracy. It's just like being a visitor in someone's house...they don't need ANY reason to kick you out if you aren't abiding by their rules and wishes, and it doesn't matter whether you agree with them or not. In my estimation, the worst course of action after being told to leave "the house" for a few days would be to come right back in and call the owners of the house out, especially when they were gracious enough to let me back in after I clearly angered them enough that they felt they needed to ask me to leave.

Perhaps that's why Matt began his post by saying "This isn't appropriate"

Livinginthe past
04-25-2006, 05:25 PM
this is not an appropriate way to go about discussing this, but since you brought it up...

Everybody has a right to speak their own mind on their own opinions on this forums, thats why it was created. Whatever political, sports, or otherwise views that anybody has can be freely expressed within the guidelines of the forums which the owner/admin has set forth in the "laws of the land" announcement that is posted on this forum. When 1 or multiple complaints come to the attention of the management it is our duty to investigate the situation and see if it is deemed to be a legitiment concern or not. while all the members will not always agree with any decisions handed down by SF management, we do our best to be fair and impartial in every instance.

Nobody is being blackballed and everyone has a right to their own opinion, and its not a matter of backing up your thoughts with links and legit information either. At the discretion of SF management the thread in question was flagged and reviewed and after review it was determined to hand down the suspension..based on the thread itself, complaints from some members, and based on communication between SF management and the parties in question.

You know that I waited 3 or 4 days since the ban was lifted to get a private reply on this subject - you gave me one and and i told you that I was bringing this to a forum.

As I say, I debated keeping quiet about it - but in your words "this kind of thing is going to arise again" - and I as I said - I know that i will be on the wrong end of the decision.

Maybe you can explain what the mods thought was wrong with the thread - all i have got so far is that you thought I was trying to instigate an argument with certain members - and even if i was - what gives them the god given right to post their political opinions where I am not.

The fact that the previous 'warning' has been raised is utterly bogus - that was concerning personal insults -which i went out of my way to avoid on the thread.

I find it weird that people can complain in total secrecy about a post or thread of mine and get me a temporary ban - and I dont even know who they are?

For the record, there was also no discussion with the 'parties in question' - the first I heard of it was a screen on this forum telling me I had been banned for 3 days and would not be allowed to log on.

I look at the post from Suitanim and I can tell he has been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time - he doesnt like me.....but does the fact that he doesnt like me deserve to get me disciplined?

I doubt it.

Worse things have been written in forums - yet I am the only person I can ever remember being suspended.

Thanks to all those who agree with me - even if you didnt agree with the original post..its appreciated.

NM

Suitanim
04-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I have absolutely nothing, NOTHING to do with your suspension. In fact, after I was warned, I avoided you as much as possible.

You brought this all on yourself, so don't try and drag me into this mess you've created for yourself.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
We are not going to get into a he said, she said debate or arguement here or get into any details of what the parties involved said via communication with each other and the management, its not fair to anyone else. It is not appropriate at all. This forum reserves the right to make any decision it feels necessary for the overall good of SF. Not everyone will agree because we can't please everyone. When memebers complain about another member, the issue is investigated thorougly through alot of communication and research. Temporary suspension and permanant bannings are not done lightly, or out of spite, or just because somebody complained in secret. There's alot more to it than that. Anybody who's been around forums for any length of time knows this.

PM's and emails were sent, warnings were issued, details were discussed, everyone was made equally aware of previous problems that had arose and based on these previous issues discussed, the warnings were sent and then the suspension levied for this instance, when it was determined that you did not comply with the agreement as the others have.

augustashark
04-25-2006, 05:45 PM
My eight year old does'nt act this childish!

Your bloviating has been a very good source of humor for me, but I guess others don't see it that way. You just can't go around saying whatever you want and expect no repercussions.

I'll say it right here in the open. I think you should absolutely be :banned: !!!!!!

If for nothing else then coming off of your temp ban and acting this way. Treating this site (which has given you almost 2k in posts) with no respect!!!

MasterOfPuppets
04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
:chug: :popcorn:

3 to be 4
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
wow. i kind of enjoy the heating discussions and dont remember reading anything worth a ban. except maybe some stuff I MYSELF have posted and have apologized for.
just my 2 cents.
but this is a great site and the moderators do an excellent job.

(so how was that in staddling all sides, worthy of Kerry, huh??)

HburgXL06
04-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Aiight since everyone be chimin in on this I'll put my voice out too. This is America and we have freedom of speech so we are allowed to have opinions and voices for them. We are also on a privately established forum (no government money pays to keep this forum open and online) and therefore whoever established it can play the "its my house I can kick you out whenever I want" card. I can understand both sides of this that in one sense you have to be careful how you word things on a forum like this because it is easy to misinterpret somethin when it is just words on a screen rather than an actual voice statin an opinion. That's one reason why I over do the "I mean no disrespect" line in many of my argumental posts. If I disagree wit a person I will argue my point but I in no way think less of that person for who they are (unless I state so). All of this is a fine line and it does not surprise me that the issue that caused the ban was over politics. My personal belief is to stay out of political discussion because (A) I don't know enough about them to argue a case (B) I don't understand how it all works well enough to get the arguments goin back and forth (C) I don't want to ask in the middle of an argument for explanation and look like a dumb*ass.

In this case, there are rules instated on this forum to keep it from becomin pandemonium and to keep us civil to a certain degree. The are there as weak guidelines (I say weak/loose because they are not specific in order to prevent certain types of discussion but rather to prevent excessive behavior). This is the locker room where we are supposed to come here to view any opinion. In my mind I will actually side wit LITP on this one and say that even though I never read the thread in question and even if I might not agree wit his political views (I don't know what they are and I'm not askin) it is the fact that we are in an open discussion area and as long as civility (I admit to that bein a subjective term) is kept it should be allowed to be kept open. If anyone disagrees wit him ok so what. No one is ever gonna convince the whole world to be on your side. If you have an argument against him put it out there and prepare to defend yourself. But don't play the "he hurt my feelings" card. It cause drama like this to happen and no one ends up happy.

LITP I wondered where you had been these past few days. Welcome back and I hope you stay for a long while. Peace.

BuFu

3 to be 4
04-25-2006, 07:01 PM
so wheres Brady12?

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 07:09 PM
so wheres Brady12?
he was permamently banned. :dang: :sofunny:

(pardon the bad joke to everyone involved)

Lyn
04-25-2006, 07:11 PM
I too know nothing about this nor do I want to. On the Mods behalf I will say, Yes, this is America and if anyone does not like the way things are run around here, go out and start your own site.........after all this is America. Dig deeply into your pockets every month to pay to keep the site you have created going, just like the Mods at SF do to keep their site running when the members of SF do not come through each month. You can even have YOUR guidelines & rules similar to what SF has and every other Steeler club has.

3 to be 4
04-25-2006, 07:14 PM
he was permamently banned. :dang: :sofunny:

(pardon the bad joke to everyone involved)

reeeaaaallly?????????? why?

see what happens when i relocate,start a new job, and have a parent die??

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 07:21 PM
reeeaaaallly?????????? why?

see what happens when i relocate,start a new job, and have a parent die??

it was for this thread: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5358

and his "tom brady is the man" sig :sofunny:

actually he was a good poster. his last post was 3-6-06 "kirby puckett dies" poor fella, i hope that wasnt his favorite ball player.

MasterOfPuppets
04-25-2006, 07:24 PM

actually he was a good poster. his last post was 3-6-06 "kirby puckett dies" poor fella, i hope that wasnt his favorite ball player.
google fights were banned the year after c0ck fighting......:sofunny:

Suitanim
04-25-2006, 07:25 PM
You know, the thread is still up. If you know (as you are about to) that me, LITP and a couple other people were admonished to post no threads that would antagonize or bait any of the other people who were warned, at the RISK OF BANNING, then you read this thread:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6532

You'll see that he clearly was warned, and, in spite of this warning, almost immediately posted up a thread that was filled with errors and inaccuracies, poorly researched, and had no goal other than to stir shit up.

Again, it's no different than being a guest in someone's house. If the owner tells you to turn your stereo down, you turn it down. In this case, the guest turned the stereo up, was asked to leave, was allowed to RETURN and had the incredbile audacity to question, and right out in the open (inappropriately), the owner of the house about what goes on in his own home.

What shocks me is that people are taking sides in an issue that doesn't have any sides.

HburgXL06
04-25-2006, 07:26 PM

How did that thread get him banned? I'll admit that game or whatever was a lil ridiculous but how did that lead to banning? Also where has drizze99 been?

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Just for the record, brady12 isnt banned, just hasnt posted recently.

:cool:

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Just for the record, brady12 isnt banned, just hasnt posted recently.

:cool:

sorry blitz, i thought i clearly stated i was joking about brady 12.

hburg, i was just messing with 32b4, brady 12 and the google fights. no harm intended

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
sorry blitz, i thought i clearly stated i was joking about brady 12.

hburg, i was just messing with 32b4, brady 12 and the google fights. no harm intended

yeah i know tony, its cool.. just making sure everyone else knows it was a joke as well. :cool:

Prosdo
04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
I really don’t feel this is the appropriate place for this topic. This matter should have remained private. Matt and I have received numerous complaints about you LITP. We had gotten a few more regarding that thread and we felt they were valid. That is why the three day suspension was issued.

MasterOfPuppets
04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
:mg: I really don?t feel this is the appropriate place for this topic. This matter should have remained private. Matt and I have received numerous complaints about you LITP. We had gotten a few more regarding that thread and we felt they were valid. That is why the three day suspension was issued.
case closed....

Ambridge
04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Good Grief!!

I don't know the specifics of this issue and I really don't want to know but the so called complaining posters need to grow some thicker skin and stop groaning to the mods every time someone makes a comment that offends their fragile sensibilities.

Mods!!! I hope you're not giving unnecessary weight to complaining PM's of members who don't visit or participate on a regular basis. It would be sad if you're letting fringe posters control the core of the regularly posting members??

clevestinks
04-25-2006, 07:55 PM
How come I have the feeling that this is not over?

My question is. If this subject were to be debated in the Blast Furnace, would it have been let go???

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2006, 08:05 PM
to answer the 2 above questions..

Good Grief!!

I don't know the specifics of this issue and I really don't want to know but the so called complaining posters need to grow some thicker skin and stop groaning to the mods every time someone makes a comment that offends their fragile sensibilities.

Mods!!! I hope you're not giving unnecessary weight to complaining PM's of members who don't visit or participate on a regular basis. It would be sad if you're letting fringe posters control the core of the regularly posting members??

We give equal consideration to all concerns and questions, sometimes they are valid and sometimes they are not, but there is no single member or group of members that determines how this board is run. Mike has set forth the rules and prosdo and I enforce them when necessary, thats the bottom line. Its a thankless job obviously as you can see.

How come I have the feeling that this is not over?

My question is. If this subject were to be debated in the Blast Furnace, would it have been let go???

Blast Furnace, Steelers Forum, Locker room, makes no difference..the point is the bounds were overstepped again, per the warnings and communications with the LITP, and in this case LITP went against the agreement as seen fit by the entire management of SF.

MasterOfPuppets
04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
:mallet: case closed!!!!!!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-25-2006, 08:13 PM
For those of you not aware of the fact - I was recently banned for 3 days for expressing certain political beliefs in the lockerroom forum.

It was the Bush, Peru and Democracy thread that allegedly caused the problems - some posters felt the need to complain to the forum mods - who then decided to ban me weeks after I initially began the thread.

The reason I have been given for the banning is that I set out to 'entice' an argument with certain posters here - which is completely untrue.

I was given positive rep by some posters for the opinions I expressed - but you arent going to have everyone agree with you on certain subjects

Suitanim and I have had some pretty large differences in the past but I thought we both made an effort to keep the content of that thread civil - I enjoyed most of what i read on it and felt I learnt something - which was the idea.

I was unsure as to whether to pursue this point, and risk a permanent banning but in the end I have been told that this type of retrospective discipline could well happen again - it appears my card has been marked.

Maybe there needs to be more guidelines as to what people are allowed to post - if I am going to be banned for expressing legitimate opinions, that I also backed up with links to real life articles, then its only a matter of time before I am banned again anyway.

I dont know what other peoples thoughts are on this, but I thought I would put this out there anyway.

I have made a special effort to not get dragged into petty arguments in the last couple of weeks and I try my best not to deliberately cause offense - yet it doesnt seem as its enough if someone takes a dislike to your opinion.

NM
Is there a link to your post that i can read......
Its ridiculous that you can be banned for saying anything that you believe in

Prosdo
04-25-2006, 08:23 PM
First off he wasn't banned. He was suspended for 3 days. Second off he wasn't suspended for saying something he believed in.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2006, 08:29 PM
This thread can go nowhere good..it hasnt from the start and its continuation is pointless. We have stated the point of SF management in this issue several times in this thread. LITP, if you would care to continue this discussion please do so in private. Thank you.

Case closed, end of it.