PDA

View Full Version : New York Jets ♥ Pittsburgh Steelers

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
New York Jets ♥ Pittsburgh Steelers
By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=6031778&type=story

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex likes Mike. Bart likes Ben. Bart's teammates like Ben so much that it sounds like they want to adopt him.

Wait a second, the New York Jets are playing the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday for the AFC championship and they're -- brace yourself -- lobbing bouquets instead of grenades?

Where is the hate?

It's still early, and things could change, but the Jets apparently spewed their last drops of venom last week toward the New England Patriots. They used last month's 45-3 embarrassment and perceived slights by Tom Brady as fuel, lashing out in the media at the Belichick Boys.

Ben Roethlisberger drew praise for getting rocked by then-Raven Bart Scott and saying, "Nice hit, Bart."

Nose tackle Sione Pouha said Monday that preparing for the Patriots was like "sharpening up our sword for battle." The Jets won that battle, won it as impressively as they've won anything in 40 years, and now it's on to Pittsburgh for the right to advance to Super Bowl XLV in Dallas.

But something was missing on Day 1 of championship hype, and that something was the usual chip on the Jets' shoulder. There was confidence, sure, but there was no tough talk, and that probably will have concerned fans wondering if the Jets subconsciously believe they won their championship in Foxborough.

Rex Ryan himself called it the second-biggest win in franchise history, after Super Bowl III in 1969, so how do you top that? You win the Super Bowl, of course -- and that should be the only motivation any team needs at this point in the season. But it still was a bit weird to not hear the usual bravado from the Jets' bunker.

There's no payback factor for the Jets, who defeated the Steelers last month at Heinz Field, 22-17. There's also no divisional-rivalry factor, although Ryan and Bart Scott faced the Steelers enough times in their years with the Baltimore Ravens to build up bad feelings toward them.

But there was only peace and love on Day 1. Ryan actually joked about calling out the Steelers' Hines Ward and Casey Hampton just to spice it up.

"It's a different feel," said Ryan, who appeared subdued (for him) after the biggest win of his career. "Like I said last week, Bill Belichick had dominated me the time before. I was just like, 'Man, that's not going to happen. No way is that going to happen to me again.'"

This week, the Jets may have to manufacture something to keep them angry because, let's face it, they play better when they're ticked off. That's their personality, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Maybe Darrelle Revis can call Ward a slouch. Maybe Antonio Cromartie can call Ben Roethlisberger a bleeping a-----. Maybe Scott can threaten to punch out the entire Steelers offensive line.

Then again, maybe not. Cromartie already is on record as saying Roethlisberger is a good dude.

Yawn.

Ryan got a little warm and fuzzy as he described his fondness for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. He recalled a game from 2007, when Tomlin didn't try to run up the score against Ryan's banged-up Baltimore defense. The Steelers jumped to a 35-0 lead, but instead of pulling a Belichick, they ran the ball on 21 of 28 plays in the second half.

"He wasn't going to try to rub our nose in it," said Ryan, delivering a veiled shot at Belichick and Brady for the 45-3 beat down.

Ryan related a story within the story, about how Scott -- upset that the Steelers' fullback was running his mouth during the blowout -- went to Tomlin and asked if he re-insert the fullback into the game. According to Ryan, Tomlin said to Scott, "Bart, you want him? You want a piece of him?"

Scott, of course, said yes. So Tomlin sent his fullback (Ryan couldn't remember his name) back into the game, and he ended up with a separated shoulder.

"That's one of my favorite stories, and it told me a lot about Mike Tomlin," Ryan said, smiling.

Ryan said he respects Belichick more than any coach in the league, but that respect is based on accomplishment, not personal affection. It's different with Tomlin, and it's different with Roethlisberger. The Jets raved about his toughness, his willingness to stand in the pocket and take hits. You didn't hear them saying that last week about Brady.

"He plays like a man," Scott said of Big Ben.

Trevor Pryce, another former Raven, recalled a time when Roethlisberger got blown up by Scott in a Pittsburgh-Baltimore game, and actually turned to Scott and said, "Nice hit, Bart." Stuff like that earns the respect of opponents.

Pryce called Roethlisberger a "genetic freak," adding that it's an "honor and a privilege to play against him, it really is."

Honor? Privilege? Could the Jets be trash-talked out? Say it ain't so.

ricardisimo
01-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Who got the separated shoulder? Scott or the Steelers fullback?

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
"He plays like a man," Scott said of Big Ben.

ding ding ding, and that, jets fans, is why I would fear Ben more than Brady or Manning. He doesn't wilt after getting punched in the mouth (or nose)

lotas
01-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Awesome article, thanks Mesa.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Rex probably ♥'s Foote too!

SoCalFan
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Nice article.Are they trying reverse psychology?Im also wondering who ended up with the seperated shoulder?

steelers33
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
They may call Ben a tough guy one day, then then next day they call him a rapist lol.

theplatypus
01-17-2011, 08:35 PM
He's just scared and doesn't want to give the Steelers any more ammunition.

ucsteve667
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
wasnt that Mendenhall that got his shoulder blown up?

wootawnee
01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
wasnt that Mendenhall that got his shoulder blown up?

Mendy was still in school....Carey Davis?.....Veron Davis?.....Who else did we have in 07.....Kreider.....I dont think Dan would talk trash like that.......

wootawnee
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
I looked it up....It was either Kreider Or Carey Davis.....My money is on Davis.......

Pac
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
the writer of that article is a notorious trouble making hack. he's disappointed because he won't have any more juicy stories to write this week.

Rex made a point of saying he and Tomlin have similar styles and he likes/respects him a lot. That doesn't mean behind closed doors he isn't talking about his disdain for the Steelers and the way they've knocked out his Ravens when he was there.

I suspect the "kinder gentler" Jets are what the media gets this week but behind closed doors will be a much different story. I don't think Tomlin will make the mistake of taking them lightly.

billtimbob
01-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I think Rex is just making up that story about Bart Scott. Fanhouse article says Carey Davis was the FB that game, but looking over the box score, Davis was getting handoffs throughout the entire second half, right up to their last possession. He played all 16 games as well... can't find anything anywhere about a separated shoulder.

Pretty sure it's just Rex or Bart Scott stroking their egos.

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 09:14 PM
the writer of that article is a notorious trouble making hack. he's disappointed because he won't have any more juicy stories to write this week.

Rex made a point of saying he and Tomlin have similar styles and he likes/respects him a lot. That doesn't mean behind closed doors he isn't talking about his disdain for the Steelers and the way they've knocked out his Ravens when he was there.

I suspect the "kinder gentler" Jets are what the media gets this week but behind closed doors will be a much different story. I don't think Tomlin will make the mistake of taking them lightly.

Of course not! It's an AFC Championship game and Tomlin's done it before. I'm sure Tomlin and LeBeau will take the Jets very seriously.

SteelerEmpire
01-17-2011, 09:36 PM
A "recently" former Raven's coach nice toward's the Steelers ? And TOO nice even ! And that's clean across the board, from one side of the team to the other... No one on the Jets have said even 1 bad thing about the Steelers ? Come on, this is the Jets we're talkin about. Headed by a former Raven's coach... a coach "sworn" to get his team into the SB this year ! You can't tell me this isn't some tactic based on deception... Also, look out for personnel trying to "trip" players on the side lines ! Yea. This is the team that does that !

VegasStlrFan
01-17-2011, 10:15 PM
They wanted the pats to brawl, which is not their game. There is no benefit in trying to get the Steelers into that type of game.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2011, 11:12 PM
I think Rex is just making up that story about Bart Scott. Fanhouse article says Carey Davis was the FB that game, but looking over the box score, Davis was getting handoffs throughout the entire second half, right up to their last possession. He played all 16 games as well... can't find anything anywhere about a separated shoulder.

Pretty sure it's just Rex or Bart Scott stroking their egos.
nice work detective !!! .....:thumbsup:

ucsteve667
01-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Still pretty sure I remember Mendenhall getting knocked out with a sep shoulder against them

SteelCityMom
01-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Still pretty sure I remember Mendenhall getting knocked out with a sep shoulder against them

No, that was in '08 (his rookie year), when Ray broke his collarbone(?). It was week 4 IIRC.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Mendy was still in school....Carey Davis?.....Veron Davis?.....Who else did we have in 07.....Kreider.....I dont think Dan would talk trash like that.......

Yeah, Carey Davis was fullback in 2007. Not much problem losing him, could block worth a damn and we rarely used him anyway if I remember correctly.

ucsteve667
01-18-2011, 12:49 AM
No, that was in '08 (his rookie year), when Ray broke his collarbone(?). It was week 4 IIRC.

ah...okey