PDA

View Full Version : BA vs Santonio...who outsmarts?

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
You just know Santonio is in the film room with Ryan, Revis and Cromartie going over each play, philosophy of schemes, what Ben is looking for, who is the top target on each play etc.

Will BA have to mix it up?

People have calmed me by reminding me that Whiz knew our whole playbook for the SB yet we were OK but I've seen a couple of examples that didn't work out so well.

Gruden knew the Raiders offense and QB tendencies and shut them down in the SB one year after leaving Oakland for TB. There was a colts defender that said he played under the Bears OC in college so he knew all their plays and was able to get a key INT for the colts during the SB (he said later).

Ben looked like he was able to drive without problems last match up so we'll see. Hopefully BA has some surprises for Ryan...but not too many...lol.

What do you think?

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I guess I should calm down. They don't have the time to go through an entire playbook in 1 week (and memorize). I'm sure the Steelers will try to mix it up.

PhantomJB93
01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
They might figure out some of Ben's tendencies after a play develops but I'm not worried. Our playbook may have changed A LOT considering our receiving corps has a totally different skillset then it did the last time Santonio was here.

IE we have four totally capable guys as opposed to 3, our passing game is based much more on speed, Hines may not be the "focus" of as many plays, etc.

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 08:02 PM
They might figure out some of Ben's tendencies after a play develops but I'm not worried. Our playbook may have changed A LOT considering our receiving corps has a totally different skillset then it did the last time Santonio was here.

IE we have four totally capable guys as opposed to 3, our passing game is based much more on speed, Hines may not be the "focus" of as many plays, etc.

Good point. They should modify a few plays were usually it would mean the guy would stop for a curl...he can fake a curl and then use speed.

I think the playbook itself is the same because they are always talking about knowing the playbook better etc. If it were totally new, they'd have to start over. I just hope it is too big to learn in one week.

I was surprised to hear Ben and BA say they were not adding anything new for the playoffs. Meanwhile Brady said they had a whole lot of new things for the Jets (maybe they shouldn't have changed...lol).

The Steelers need more screens.

Sixburgher
01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Weed really messes with short term memory. Relax.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
not this guy

'I coulda won more superbowls.... but then i got high...'

WeYsTmIzjkw&ob=av3el

PhantomJB93
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM

This is actually a valid point lol

theplatypus
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
{quote]I was surprised to hear Ben and BA say they were not adding anything new for the playoffs. Meanwhile Brady said they had a whole lot of new things for the Jets (maybe they shouldn't have changed...lol).[/quote]

Have you stopped to think that maybe BA was just blowing smoke? Brady too?

tony hipchest
01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
You just know Santonio is in the film room with Ryan, Revis and Cromartie going over each play, philosophy of schemes, what Ben is looking for, who is the top target on each play etc.

Santonio LOLmes???

:rofl:

thats funny. actually santonio is sitting at home right now on the couch, taking rips off his bong, and eating cheetos.

santonio cant remember any philosophies, or outline too many schemes. he suffers from short term memory loss.

im guessing youve never followed his twitter acct. dude isnt the sharpest tool in the shed.

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
{quote]I was surprised to hear Ben and BA say they were not adding anything new for the playoffs. Meanwhile Brady said they had a whole lot of new things for the Jets (maybe they shouldn't have changed...lol).

Have you stopped to think that maybe BA was just blowing smoke? Brady too?[/QUOTE]

maybe brady was gonna try and do it without the cheating and spy cameras. no wonder why he looked so confused yesterday

Fire Arians
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Santonio LOLmes???

thats funny. actually santonio is sitting at home right now on the couch, taking rips off his bong, and eating cheetos.

santonio cant remember any philosophies, or outline too many schemes. he suffers from short term memory loss.

im guessing youve never followed his twitter acct. dude isnt the sharpest tool in the shed.

prolly something like this

"yo mark, whatup dog. yo checkit, this guy ike he pretty fast, yo. swaggah. an' this guy with the big hair, i forget his name, don't throw it to him."

tony hipchest
01-17-2011, 08:15 PM
I was surprised to hear Ben and BA say they were not adding anything new for the playoffs. Meanwhile Brady said they had a whole lot of new things for the Jets (maybe they shouldn't have changed...lol).

thats what they SAID, but did you watch the game? thay added an entirely new wrinkle. you didnt see or notice it? i did. i started a very relevant thread about it.

i dont think you should worry too much about bongtonio delivering the steelers playbook like denzel washington in The Book of Eli.

"yo mark, whatup dog. yo checkit, this guy ike he pretty fast, yo. swaggah. an' this guy with the big hair, i forget his name, don't throw it to him."

:toofunny:

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
{quote]
Have you stopped to think that maybe BA was just blowing smoke? Brady too?

Yeah. That crossed my mind when Ben said it (and that's what I told myself) then I got a little nervous when BA said it) It's what I was hoping for anyway...you just never know.

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
prolly something like this

:sofunny: ROFL

Being serious, I was thinking about the offense. Wile he may not be so smart, he knew his routes well. The good thing is he wasn't one of those receivers that they moved around a lot so hopefully he only memorized the SE routes to perfection. He has to know things like "Ben will try to pump fake here because he's actually trying to get the safety to follow this guy since the other guy is the primary target." "If you see this, the hot route is this...maybe you can jump the route."

thats what they SAID, but did you watch the game? thay added an entirely new wrinkle. you didnt see or notice it? i did. i started a very relevant thread about it.

Good to hear. Noting says you have to tell the media the truth...good point. BA doesn't usually lie though. lol I hope he can design a brilliant chess game against Ryan...but if not, go to no huddle early and let Ben decide.

cmdrfunk
01-17-2011, 08:49 PM

I guess it's a good thing for him then that all of that would be in long term memory.

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
I guess it's a good thing for him then that all of that would be in long term memory.

Crossed my mind but I didn't want to be nerd and ruin their joke...:sofunny:

Steeldude
01-18-2011, 12:30 AM
i doubt holmes is telling them anything. holmes is a moron and a overrated WR.

anyone see holmes alligator arming it on the weekend? classic holmes.

SteelKnight
01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
i doubt holmes is telling them anything. holmes is a moron and a overrated WR.

anyone see holmes alligator arming it on the weekend? classic holmes.

I hope we can keep him from getting a TD. I hate all the drama he does after every catch. Remember one time he caught a catch and it wasn't even a first down and he was still kissing his own ass. He has his stupid dropping technique (instead of a spike) and acts like he is so amazed with himself after every catch.

So annoying...

He probably knows his routes well though. He should at least be able to provide info on Wallace's role at SE.

SteelKnight
01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Jump to the 5:11 mark and see a reporter ask Tomlin the question we are discussing in this thread.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Mike-Tomlin---AFC-Championship---January-18th/8dd16cc8-f1ae-4536-8b88-5700e08d6c35

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:16 AM
For those of you who don't want to watch at 5:11, Tomlin Basically said he believes Santonio will try to help but he imagines he tried last game too. (as if to say he wasn't impressed with the result).

tony hipchest
01-19-2011, 12:26 AM
just like im not impressed with this thread. i agree that maybe you should calm down and think it through before starting such rediculous topics.

He probably knows his routes well though. He should at least be able to provide info on Wallace's role at SE.

its not rocket science. they have coaches paid to break down film his role is pretty evident and (heres a hint- its not to pass the ball or block at the line, or kick).

they dont need some stoner wr to decipher some davinci code.

Acerinox
01-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Santonio: OK guys, are you ready for this? This is the KEY to the Steelers' offense. This is what they WILL DO.

Ryan, Revis, Cromartie: Go for it.

Santonio: First down, run up the gut. Second down, run up the gut. Third down, desperation bomb down the field.

Ryan, Revis, Cromatie: ZOMG! We shall not plan against this. The devious Arians will surely change his plans and do what we least expect which happens to be what we should most expect but we don't!

Curtain_of_Steel
01-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Why fix what is not broke? BA just needs to call the right plays, and let BB do some no huddles to tire them out.

If it was as easy as trading for a player to steal a playbook that is revised each year, everyone would constantly do it. Some of you make it seem like the nfl, owners, gm and coaches, never thought about a player knowing some of the playbook..

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
just like im not impressed with this thread. i agree that maybe you should calm down and think it through before starting such rediculous topics.

its not rocket science. they have coaches paid to break down film his role is pretty evident and (heres a hint- its not to pass the ball or block at the line, or kick).

they dont need some stoner wr to decipher some davinci code.

LOL. I was just thinking on the Tix thread that Tony is backing off his power trip as a moderator feeling like he has to comment on every single thread whether he likes it and then I opened this and voila.

Sort of funny. I don't try start threads for your approval. I'm actually amazed that you get a chance to read every single thread. Kind of funny. You should just develop a stars rating since you are a master thread reader/reviewer. Hope it pays well. lol

Back to the topic. It helps to know the progression of receivers, what the options are (they have plays where the receivers have windows based on what they see), what the QB is trying to get the defense to do and whether it is a set up for a different play etc. Not all of this is perfectly obvious from film. In addition since he played against the defense all the time, trying to point out more intimately the holes in the defense or where confusion occurs.

I gave examples where knowledge has made a difference.

Let's not get childish. Why does every post have to be personal. It feel like junior high. Most people outgrow this by going to college. I just come to have fun talking about my favorite team ...not to please a moderator. it's abuse of power to pick fights because you know nobody wants to fight a moderator and you can't be blocked. Sad really.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Why fix what is not broke? BA just needs to call the right plays, and let BB do some no huddles to tire them out.

If it was as easy as trading for a player to steal a playbook that is revised each year, everyone would constantly do it. Some of you make it seem like the nfl, owners, gm and coaches, never thought about a player knowing some of the playbook..

It's not revised much...otherwise why would we say so and so is more familiar with the playbook, his routes and our schemes this year. I think playbooks get revised a bunch when you get new OCs. I remember when BA took over he said he was revising it.

I myself have wondered why the topic doesn't come up more. The NFL would probably want that suppressed so it doesn't give any sense of unfairness to the fans.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Tomlin did a quip about "depends on if you give him my plays" when asked how long it takes to prepare for Rex.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Agreed, did you see Santonio let that ball go through his legs on punt return duty against the Colts? That guy has smoked himself retarded.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Agreed, did you see Santonio let that ball go through his legs on punt return duty against the Colts? That guy has smoked himself retarded.

I did think it was funny that he couldn't get the correct week that we played the Jets. He said week 16 or 17 instead of 15 so that was encouraging...lol

The league should do a random drug check today. It stays in your system for a month...lol

mcg24
01-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I did think it was funny that he couldn't get the correct week that we played the Jets. He said week 16 or 17 instead of 15 so that was encouraging...lol

Lmao yeah I remember hearing him say that and thinking "well, it definitely wasn't week 16 or 17 but you shouldn't know that, it's not like you played in the game."

Steelrule
01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Battle of (nit) wits. BA Vs Santonio.

finesward
01-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Santonio LOLmes???

basically...exactly what he said :hatsoff:

caseyviator
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
BEN IS ONE QB WHO DOES NOT HAVE ANY TENDANCYS NONE ....HE IS A BROKEN PLAY GUY SO HE DOESNT REALLY HAVE ANYTHING HE DOES ALL THE TIME LIKE MANNING SANCHEZ AND BRADY DO
SO DONT WORRY BOUT THAT STUFF WITH BEN..HE HAS NO "TELLS"

tony hipchest
01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Sort of funny. I don't try start threads for your approval. I'm actually amazed that you get a chance to read every single thread. Kind of funny. You should just develop a stars rating since you are a master thread reader/reviewer. Hope it pays well. lol

:sofunny:

im actually amazed you get a chance to think up all this rediculous shit. do you even know in what context tomlin was refering "giving away his plays"?

part of my duties as mod is taking out the trash. that is finely meshed with being a regular poster just like you. calling bullshit for what it is, isnt an "abuse of power" so quit whining.

if you dont like it, dont post crap. if you wish to post crap, expect to be called out on it. since i probably read as many threads here as anybody, chances are i will be the onle to call you out on it first.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
:sofunny:

im actually amazed you get a chance to think up all this rediculous shit. do you even know in what context tomlin was refering "giving away his plays"?

part of my duties as mod is taking out the trash. that is finely meshed with being a regular poster just like you. calling bullshit for what it is, isnt an "abuse of power" so quit whining.

if you dont like it, dont post crap. if you wish to post crap, expect to be called out on it. since i probably read as many threads here as anybody, chances are i will be the onle to call you out on it first.

LOL. I think it is abuse because nobody wants to fight with a moderator. I see it like a girl coming up to start with me. You are on a MB power trip. face it. :sofunny:

I come to enjoy talk about my Steelers not participate in junior high stuff.