PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Ryan Clark Interview

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
This interview gave some insight as to what he and Troy do...must watch.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ryan-Clark---AFC-Championship---Presser/3a43767e-ae15-4b34-a3c7-8d30bf007f9a

ETA: I'm glad I watched that because i was wondering if Troy was playing FS during the game and Ryan playing some SS.

tony hipchest
01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
this is one of the biggest reasons our defense suffers when troy is out. when he and clark are back there together, troy has been given the free reigns to play anywhere and switch positions with ryan at any time on a whim or a hunch. most times he is right and when he's not, clark has his back.

when mundy is in there they have to play the defense straight up as called by lebeau.

SteelKnight
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
this is one of the biggest reasons our defense suffers when troy is out. when he and clark are back there together, troy has been given the free reigns to play anywhere and switch positions with ryan at any time on a whim or a hunch. most times he is right and when he's not, clark has his back.

when mundy is in there they have to play the defense straight up as called by lebeau.

Yeah...good point. It was a great interview.

It looks like Mundy is the 3rd safety for both positions (SS or FS). On a tangent, I wish there was a place players like Mundy, Sweed, Crezdon Butler, Jason Worilds, Keenan Lewis, j Dwyer etc. could go to develop their talents. They might just need a season of some developmental league to make stupid mistakes and shake off rust.

Arena...anything. I know they could get injured but even if it was just 4 games...I think it would help.

mesaSteeler
01-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Transcript from the interview
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/01/17/clark-and-polamalu-playing-both-safety-positions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Clark and Polamalu playing both safety positions
January 17th, 2011

Steelers safety Ryan Clark made an interesting revelation Monday while talking to reporters after team meetings.

It seems he and Troy Polamalu have been playing both safety positions, which might explain why Clark had two tackles for losses last Saturday against the Ravens in addition to his forced fumble and interceptions.

Here is an excerpt from his Q&A in which Clark explains the genesis of this change and how it has benefitted the Steelers defense.

Q: Did you use Troy a little differently against the Ravens?

A: “Ya’ll go to that every game that he doesn’t get an interception or if he doesn’t get a sack, we must be using him different. The plays he’s made (this season) he’s always in been in the spot he’s supposed to be in by defensive design. But what that plays on the plays he’s not making is that’s not leaving voids, there’s no areas we have to cover up because he’s doing certain things. He’s just playing defense and being in positions that coach (Dick) LeBeau put him in and when he gets his opportunity to make plays he’s going to do that. The thing he did this week is he was always where he was supposed to be and that was big for us.”

Q: Where you playing closer to the line of scrimmage?

A: “Since Troy’s been injured I’ve been playing close to the line and doing some more things. It’s kind of given us more versatility. It used to be where Troy would only do those things and it hasn’t been the design of the coaches. They didn’t tell me. Troy tells me. We come out of the huddle and we figure out what we want to do. Does he want to be back? Do I want to be back? It has been working well. You can’t tell what we’re doing now as much as you used to. You’d see Troy at certain positions and you knew what was going on whereas now we kind of both play all over.”

Q: Are you and Troy interchangeable?

A: “I’m never going to be that guy (laughs) but the position is interchangeable. You talk about two guys who have played together for a number of years now, have played this defense for a long time. He does things a different ways than I do but as far as the play call goes we just play wherever we want as long as one safety is doing whatever is drawn up and the other is doing the other thing. We just go around and kind of make the decision on our own.”

Q: The coaches are OK with making those adjustments?

A: “Yeah. I guess if we changed it up and if I do something he normally does and I get beat doing it, I’m sure that the coaches would have had something to say but it’s been working well. Troy’s been making just as many plays as he always does. It’s just allowed us to give them more looks. There’s only so much you can do because we were kind of always in the same spots but now this year, with kind of moving around and doing different things we can show people so many different looks. Now Troy can show that he’s coming and he may not be so it’s a lot of things we’re giving the offense to think about, being able to move around a little bit.”

Q: Are the adjustments something that you have to clear with coach LeBeau?

A: “We don't ask, it wasn't a situation of 'Hey coach LeBeau, we’re gonna do this.’ It has always been that way with us. Sometimes in (training) camp he'll just play left safety all day; I'll just play on the right, so whatever that side has to do, you do it, so you kind of just get used to doing it. Or there will be times in camp where I'll play strong safety all practice and he'll play free. Because you need to be interchangeable, because you just never know what the rotation the offense is going to be in and what position you can get caught playing in. I think this year we'll just do it more on our own and saying, ‘OK you can go down and I'm going to go back’ and we really don't figure it out ’til the play. And it’s actually whatever Troy wants -- let me not sit here and fool you all and say we do what I want to do.”

Q: What does that say about the trust coach LeBeau has in you and Troy?

A: I think it's also how humble he is though. He doesn't look like it as, 'This is how I draw it up, you have to run it the way I say it goes.' Coach LeBeau, he gives us the book, he gives us the game plan, but he knows that we have to go out there comfortable and execute it. And that's the thing, we treat him like our father. You don't want to let him down. At halftime (last Saturday) he was like, ‘The difference in the game is that their defense is making plays and they got two turnovers and we don’t.’ It hurt and it resonated with the team.”