PDA

View Full Version : Phil Simms on Dan Patrick Show

fat4jc
01-18-2011, 08:56 AM
So I was listening to Phil Simms on Dan Patrick's radio show, and Dan asked him, "If you could take Rodgers or Roethlisberger, who do you choose?" Simms choose Rodgers, which is fine, I personally think Rodgers is a great QB, but his reasoning was...

"Aaron has more talent around him on offense"

Really? Am I being a total homer here in thinking our weapons on offense are just good as the Packers, if not better?

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2011, 09:06 AM
So I was listening to Phil Simms on Dan Patrick's radio show, and Dan asked him, "If you could take Rodgers or Roethlisberger, who do you choose?" Simms choose Rodgers, which is fine, I personally think Rodgers is a great QB, but his reasoning was...

Really? Am I being a total homer here in thinking our weapons on offense are just good as the Packers, if not better?

Steelers young WRs are still a year away from being among the best in the league and IMO Rodgers has an OL

OX1947
01-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Most people love 300 yard 3 TD Qb's.

ZoneBlitzer
01-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Green Bay has had the best receiving corps for some time now. They're big, physical and can get open.

TRH
01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Maybe yes, maybe no.....but before i even opened up this thread, i knew that either Simms dogged us, picked us to lose, or chose another player over ours. I knew it.

biggtee
01-18-2011, 10:46 AM
ben is the best period. but its true aaron does have the best WR group in the league and there deep plus people are forgetting jermichael finley!

cmdrfunk
01-18-2011, 10:51 AM

So Phil Simms didn't even answer the question? He said choose QBs, not teams or offenses.

stand undefeated
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Everybody has been on Rodgers' balls this season, and while i'm sick of hearing about him, he is a great player.

Simms is just a fool.

tanda10506
01-18-2011, 12:59 PM
First of Phil Simms is a jackass. That being said, based on the surrounding offense there's at least a somewhat decent argument to be made. Jennings and Driver are good recievers. We have Ward which is a sure catch and great speed with Wallace, I think we are better at TE and RB though. The Packers do seem to have a better O line. So I think the offense's are close. So to me that would leave it to Rodgers v. Ben, which is a no brainer. Rodgers is good, but he's got a way to go and a few super bowls before he compares in the playoffs to Ben.

harrison'samonster
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
So Phil Simms didn't even answer the question? He said choose QBs, not teams or offenses.

exactly! if the question is about which quarterback is better, you'd think he'd back up his answer with facts about the quarterbacks and not the talent they have around them.

FanSince72
01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Well for Phil Simms, Rogers is the safe choice.

When you're talking about Phil, you're talking about a guy who's so conservative that he makes Limbaugh look like a flaming liberal, so what else would anyone expect?

Jay Cutler is a 50/50 kind of choice because if "Good Jay" shows up he's great but if "Bad Jay" shows up he's a dog; Sanchez is still an unproven quantity and Ben still has PR problems, so who's left?

Rogers brings no controversy and he's a good QB for an "All-American" team so that makes him a very safe choice and safe choices are the foundation of Phil's world.

43Hitman
01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Actually the question was, which quarterback is playing better right now..So in that sense it's Rodgers. Simms went on to say that he doesn't understand no one wants to Ben up there with Brady and Manning, because in his opinion he's the second best QB in the league. I've never heard Phil say anything bad about Ben.

TRH
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Everybody has been on Rodgers' balls this season, and while i'm sick of hearing about him, he is a great player.

Simms is just a fool.

Amen. I was saying how Rogers was playing great as well, but now i'm really really sick of hearing about him. You turn on any of the sports shows and its Aaron Rogers, Aaron Rogers, Aaron Rogers, Aaron Rogers.
Man, i've seen the sidebars with "upcoming" segments at times list Rogers 3 TIMES at once. Its ridiculous.

fer522
01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe yes, maybe no.....but before i even opened up this thread, i knew that either Simms dogged us, picked us to lose, or chose another player over ours. I knew it.

:thumbsup:

lionslicer
01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't understand the reasoning, I think Simms just missed the question lol. Just because you pick a quarterback, doesn't mean you get the talent around them lol

FanSince72
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't understand the reasoning, I think Simms just missed the question lol. Just because you pick a quarterback, doesn't mean you get the talent around them lol

Maybe that's because of his own career.

If Phil didn't have the talent around him along with one of the best defenses in the history of the game, his presence in the NFL would have been little more than a blip on the radar screen, so maybe the talent part just became part of his thinking overall.

After all, those Giants won 2 SB's with Phil on the roster but he only actually played in one of them.

chitownpit
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I cant believe how quick everbody jumps off track around here
including Simms. I was under the impression we were comparing
Ben to Rogers. Not offensive lines or fricken widrecievers!!!!!
The question, your playing a pickup game. Two quarterbacks
to choose from , a unproven guy with a rifle arm and great accuracy
or a two time superbowl winning qb in his prime.

Figure it out ,isnt hard for me:tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2011, 07:58 PM

maybe he was factoring in the OC's ...:noidea:

tony hipchest
01-18-2011, 08:06 PM
if ben were talked about as best in the league fans would whine we're not "under the radar".

when it comes to fantasy football aaron is probably gonna always put up better numbers and be selected ahead of ben in fantasy drafts.

SH-Rock
01-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I would just like to say one thing. Remember Vick's hype and remember Brady's hype? Well how did that work out. True he is extremely good and I would love to have as a QB, but he's not as good as people say. I hear people say that he is as good as Vick out of the pocket and as good as Peyton in intelligence. Are you kidding me? No way Rodgers is that good.

SteelSurf
01-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Okay, so perhaps I too thought the New England Patriots would come out on top of yesterday’s AFC Divisional playoff game against the New York Jets, but I am not the one referring to myself as an expert. On the other hand, these eight humans and two robots from ESPN do claim to be “experts”, although you wouldn’t be able to tell by their incorrect predictions across the board yesterday evening.

Psssst! Hey 'experts', the Jets beat the Patriots 28-21.

Diamond-D
01-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Okay, so perhaps I too thought the New England Patriots would come out on top of yesterday’s AFC Divisional playoff game against the New York Jets, but I am not the one referring to myself as an expert. On the other hand, these eight humans and two robots from ESPN do claim to be “experts”, although you wouldn’t be able to tell by their incorrect predictions across the board yesterday evening.

Psssst! Hey 'experts', the Jets beat the Patriots 28-21.

You do understand what an upset is, no?

SteelKnight
01-18-2011, 11:20 PM
I've been thinking about the Receiving question for a week now and I can't decide...because i like ours so much.

GB
Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, ... TE Finley (on IR now)

Steelers
Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, ...TE Miller

The only GB receiver I really love in Gennings. I'd keep ours over the others. I'm undecided about Finley vs Miller. Miller has been stepping it up recently...what I was expecting of him (but wasn't happening for a while). I hope he continues to do that.

SteelSurf
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
You do understand what an upset is, no?

No. Never heard of that.
Let me ask you a question: Do you know what sarcasm is?

Diamond-D
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
No. Never heard of that.
Let me ask you a question: Do you know what sarcasm is?

Well you seem to have taken my post in the wrong way, as I wasn't trying to be combative. I was merely pointing out that there is nothing logically wrong with all the experts choosing the team that has wins in the season, favorable statistics, and wins versus the current opponent on their side i.e the favorites.
Unless there was a clear reason to choose the underdog (other than for underdog sake which isn't valid reasoning) why would they go against one of the best teams this regular season? While you could make all sorts of unverifiable claims (Jets was revenge, Ryan has a plan, Jets want it more, Patriots will choke etc.) there was no clear reason pre-game why the Jets were more than a 50% chance of winning (in which case why wouldn't you choose the favorite).

It's not like the Jets got back some monstrous player that would turn everything around that everyone else was ignoring, the most the experts could be accused of is playing it safe. So while upsets happen it would be foolish for the experts to pick the Jets with no real justification. Even you admitted you thought the Pats would win, and while you added the caveat that you aren't calling yourself an expert, one mans expert is another mans fool when it comes to sports so the title means little in and of itself.

I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you, I was simply pointing out that playing it safe is playing it safe for a reason, you are picking the favorite (well the subjective favorite anyway).

As an aside, I'd suggest you don't understand sarcasm if you think your post was indeed sarcastic.

wootawnee
01-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Rodgers puts up the stats and points.....Ben gets wins

10-6 vs 12-4?........

pghfrank62
01-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Smms and Nance both made complete fools of themselves (which isnt that hard) on Sunday night hoping and praying that Marsha Brawdy and the Patricheats pull out that game. I always pay close attention to who these talking heads pick (NoT) Ben is a winner, freaking period!!!! Hes not flashy 300 plus passer they all seem to adore, but he wins.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Actually the question was, which quarterback is playing better right now..So in that sense it's Rodgers. Simms went on to say that he doesn't understand no one wants to Ben up there with Brady and Manning, because in his opinion he's the second best QB in the league. I've never heard Phil say anything bad about Ben.

Posting this again for relevance, like I said earlier, I heard that interview with Simms, and he had nothing but great things to say about Ben. He did it again last night on the NFLN. Looks like you guys are getting yourselves all worked up for no reason.

CargoJon
01-19-2011, 08:48 AM
One of the things that gave me great pleasure during last year's Super Bowl was, right before the pick-6 that clinched the game for the Saints, Simms said "I don't think the Saints should blitz here....the Jets tried to blitz all last week and got burned."

Sure enough, Saints bring the house, pick-6 to clinch the game, and Simms has to eat crow....it was great.

That guys is a tool.