PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith will practice this week!!

Rick5895
01-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Just watched the Tomlin presser. Smith is practicing full this week and they will make a determination on his availibilty as the week wears on. Did say though if he plays he would be on a snap count and Ziggy would remain the starter.

Buddha Bus
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Great news to hear, Rick! I'm excited that Smith could potentially be back, but am glad he'll be limited and Ziggy will be the starter. Hood is playing too well right now to pull him for a guy who may not be 100% and likely rusty. Smith would be nice insurance and depth though.

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Who sits if Smith suits up?

Any other nuggets from Tomlin's presser such as injury status of McFadden, Harrison, Scott and Adams?

Rick5895
01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Mcfadden has a strain will be limited early in week, no mention of Harrison (that I saw. I missed the first couple of minutes), Scott seems fine and Adams is getting better. Did say Will Allen had a knee sprain and would be limited early in the week and nothing on Worilds.

stlrtruck
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm hoping Smith comes out guns a blazing and puts a hole in Sanchez, LT, and Greene.

StainlessStill
01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
SPLURGE!!!!

Curtain_of_Steel
01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I'll stick with Ziggy, his play the last 3 games has been just plain great.

Smith can spell them once in a while, but yu don't fix what isn't broken, and that machine is purring right now.

SteelCityMom
01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Awesome! Hope to see him in the game this Sunday.

Even if he doesn't play much, just having him there at practice all week and (hopefully) in pads on gameday will be a huge boost to the whole team.

stand undefeated
01-18-2011, 12:40 PM

Even if he doesn't play much, just having him there at practice all week and (hopefully) in pads on gameday will be a huge boost to the whole team.

This.

stb_steeler
01-18-2011, 12:44 PM
^ A boost in moral never hurts....

FanSince72
01-18-2011, 12:46 PM
As much as I'd love to see him back on the field, he needs to be effective and out there for a real purpose. For instance, if he ends up face-planting Sanchez a few times, then I'm totally down with having him out there.

But if he's just being suited up so that he could get to play a few downs in a big game and say that he "came back", then I honestly couldn't see any point in that. This is too big a game to be catering to someone's ego.

We'll see.

kirklandrules
01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
But if he's just being suited up so that he could get to play a few downs in a big game and say that he "came back", then I honestly couldn't see any point in that. This is too big a game to be catering to someone's ego.

That won't happen with this coaching staff. If he will be a liability, coach Lebeau won't let him on the field. Feel good stories don't win championships and the veteran coach knows that. Besides, letting someone play with that type of injury prior to making a good recovery is an excellent way to hurt the guy. I think the great play from Ziggy has allowed Smith to work on coming back when he's as close to 100% as possible.

When Smith is able to get into games, I think it will be because he's healthy and ready to go. This will provide excellent depth for a very good defensive line. And that depth will allow the players to be fresh late into the games.

austinfrench76
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Make no mistake, A Smith being in pads is huge!!! And not just because he could possibly play!

steeltheone
01-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Make no mistake, A Smith being in pads is huge!!! And not just because he could possibly play!

Ziggy has out played the whole DL:tt03: The last 3 games. Don't mess with it.

SteelKnight
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I hope they rest him until the Superbowl. I liked the team we put out there for the Ravens. If he is not going to play much, why not rest? He's going to force us to bench one of our special teamers.

After the game Hood had, I want to see if he can do it again and I don't want Smith messing with his momentum or forcing Hood to play both sides.

Sorry. I'm excited to see Hood this game to see if it was a fluke or not.

NYC_Steeler
01-18-2011, 02:11 PM
If he's 100%, play him. We need to be at our best and can't overlook the Jets. Let's beat the Jets first, then talk about SB XLV.

thumper
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM

:thumbsup:

SH-Rock
01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
They will probably rotate Ziggy and Smith.

dcbng
01-18-2011, 02:59 PM
If Smith is healthy, then play him. He is one of the top run stuffers in the league.

sarahpalinhater
01-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Remember, Brent has been banged up as well this season. So to have Aaron back in any way is a good thing. I agree though, no way should he upset the Apple cart, and place Ziggy on the bench right now. However, I would like to see a few new wrinkles by Dickie, and place Aaron, and Ziggy, and Brent and Casey out there at the same time. Imagine having Aaron standing out where Harrison usually is, and having Aaron take right off at the QB, and once Mangold engages him, have Harrison come behind Aaron Immediately, totally free to launch himself at Sanchez ( Yikes!, scarey huh )

kirklandrules
01-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I hope they rest him until the Superbowl. I liked the team we put out there for the Ravens. If he is not going to play much, why not rest? He's going to force us to bench one of our special teamers.

I think they've had McLendon activated as the backup. My guess is he'll go back to the inactive while Smith becomes active. Haven't seen McLendon's # on too many ST plays.

fer522
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate

Rick5895
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Even with Aaron a 80% he is better than eason. If he is good to go, and thats a big if, then activate him and give him 8-12 snaps. Get some game action before the superbowl.

TRH
01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
if he's ready to go, i'd like to say him play a few downs.......i'd really hate to seem him get injured before he's even at 100%,,, But you got to have Ziggy in there most of the game the way he's playing.

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Aaron Smith is not really practicing and certainly will not play according to Ed. B. of the P-G

As we’ve been saying steadily, don’t look for Aaron Smith to play this week. Mike Tomlin’s announcement on Tuesday that Smith would “practice” this week excited quite a few people.

Today, though, Smith told me he did nothing more in practice than he did last week. I’m sure he’ll be listed as having gone through a “limited” practice as he was last week.

No player who has been out for a full three months will return to play without going through a good week of practice, at least.

The Steelers will need to win on Sunday in order for Smith to have a chance to play in the game after that on Feb. 6.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

Steelers had a lot of personnel moves work out this year but it looks like they lost a 4th round draft pick based on sentimentally wanting to give Smith a long shot chance to come back for the playoffs that is not going to happen

tony hipchest
01-19-2011, 05:55 PM
The Steelers will need to win on Sunday in order for Smith to have a chance to play in the game after that on Feb. 6.

i do like ed b's take that mike tomlin is using smith to dangle the carrot infront of his teammates.

i dont care about thad gibson or a. smith playing this year if we win it all. that covers alot of stinkl of midseason maneuvers.

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Even with Aaron a 80% he is better than eason. If he is good to go, and thats a big if, then activate him and give him 8-12 snaps. Get some game action before the superbowl.

Him being out there changes the whole look of the defensive line. They're that much nastier.