PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are Sized up for Rings

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
The excitement returns as players are sized for rings
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

There weren't 60,000 fans there waving Terrible Towels. There was no confetti. There were no television cameras.

But on Tuesday, the excitement that surrounded the Steelers win after Super Bowl XL returned for the players as they were sized for their championship rings.

"It's exciting," said defensive end Chris Hoke. "It's the thrill again that you felt back in February when you won the game. You get that excited feeling again. I can't wait to get the ring."

Representatives from Jostens were at the team's practice facility on the South Side and for players who have been asked time and again, where is the ring, it was a step towards receiving the much anticipated reward.

"That's the first question I hear from everybody I see," said linebacker James Farrior. "It's a good feeling to know that it's coming. We are getting our ring sizes today and it's just goes along with the whole process and the celebration."

A year ago rookie Heath Miller was soaking in being a number one draft pick. On Tuesday, he was soaking in the excitement of the ring sizing.

"I think this is the first ring I have ever gotten," said Miller. "It's not a bad way to start. I don't wear any jewelry. I don't even wear a watch. It's the first real piece of jewelry for me."

While the players were sized, there was one thing that is still being kept a secret from them, the design. Many tried to get the Jostens representatives to give them a sneak peak, but they held their ground.

"We are eager to see it," said cornerback Deshea Townsend, who playfully tried his best to get a look at a design. "We are like everybody else out there. We want to know what it looks like.

"Just getting measured though makes it more of a reality, even though they wouldn't show me what the ring looks like. That would have made it even more of a reality. It does feel good, though, to know it's on the way."

Max Starks, who maxed out as the biggest ring size on Tuesday at an 18 1/2, is also anxious to see the design.

"I still don't know what the ring looks like," said Starks. "It's still a top-secret, classified type of situation. It's definitely awesome to have the opportunity. It's really cool this is happening. You still have that surreal feeling, like did we really win. Now this puts it into perspective."

While all of the players were having their own finger sized for the rings, rookie Chris Kemoeatu went a different route. He asked for a ring that would fit his father. It's not that Kemoeatu doesn't appreciate getting the ring. It's not that he isn't excited about it. He just wanted to do something for his dad.

"I thought it was be a nice surprise for him, something he can wear around," said Kemoeatu. "I thought it would be cool to give it to him."

One of the last players to be sized on Tuesday was Super Bowl XL MVP Hines Ward. He came out of the weight room hot and sweaty, but a smile as wide as any he has ever had came fast as he was sized.

"It's a great thing to reflect back and take our part in history," said Ward. "There is a rich tradition here of team's winning the Super Bowl. To win one for the thumb, it's accomplishing a lot of dreams for the players. Getting the ring is the icing on the cake as far as reflecting on it and enjoying it.

"Then it's let's move on once we get it. It's the last piece of cake and once we get it, it's time to put it in the past and work for a new year."

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2006/04/25/13/RingSizing_Ward_090_63666.jpg Ohhhhh yeah...

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 09:35 AM
"Then it's let's move on once we get it. It's the last piece of cake and once we get it, it's time to put it in the past and work for a new year." - Hines Ward

Sounds good to me. Alright, I'm ready for the season to begin.

ARKIESTEEL
04-26-2006, 09:49 AM
That little guy in the back of the picture is he like a guard or something?:redface:

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 09:50 AM
That little guy in the back of the picture is he like a guard or something?:redface:

He packs a glock and he uses that pen in his pocket as well as anybody, I wouldn't mess with him. :bouncy:

ARKIESTEEL
04-26-2006, 09:56 AM
He packs heat, I wouldn't mess with him. :bouncy:
Better be packing something looks like his mommy left him there while she went to shop or something. He could wear Hamptons SB ring around his neck

clevestinks
04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I wanna ring!!!!! Maybe I could get Els ring! LOL

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I wanna ring!!!!! Maybe I could get Els ring! LOL

Then can I get Hope's?

melroseplace
04-26-2006, 02:36 PM
:bouncy: ahh how exciting! love that quote by Hines too, he's got the right attitude

Man_Of_Steel
04-26-2006, 02:46 PM
How in the heck does Lee Mays get one?

http://media3.steelers.com/article/63668/

Ambridge
04-26-2006, 03:58 PM

I was wondering the same about Arnold Harrison??

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Damn Starks has some HUGE fingers.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Every member of the team gets a SB ring. Even the practice squad players and those that weren't active for the game.

beSteelmyheart
04-26-2006, 07:51 PM

And what about Tommy?

clevestinks
04-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Every member of the team gets a SB ring. Even the practice squad players and those that weren't active for the game.
And how about us at SF, we deserve rings! I think so.