PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Steeler FO, what offseason...

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
I know some whiners only will want every thread to be about the Jets game. Trust me I'm excited about that. With the other teams talking off-season though, it makes me think about our off-season too (after we win the SB:wink02:).

So with that said, if you were leading the FO, what would be your 7 top offseason moves?

Here's mine:

1. Get Nmandi Asomugha -try to get a discount by telling him how great it would be to be part of Lebeau's defense and have a chance to win Super bowls each year.

2. Resign or Franchise Woodley

3. Resign Ike Taylor

4. Sign a top free agent LT if there is one better than Starks. (if you guys know of any, please post them here).

5. Draft Mike Pouncy to play LG instead of RG

6. Extend Polamalu's contract before the season starts

7. Draft a kicker with the 3rd round pick. Since it is 32nd, it is almost like an early 4th round pick anyway. Only do that if you can get a kicker that looks confident ...not like a nervous rookie. I don't trust Suisham for our long term future.

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
6, 2, then 1

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:03 AM
6, 2, then 1

The reason I put 6 lower is because we have the whole off season. And if that fails, after the 2012 season is over, we can just franchise him. He's not going anywhere.

#2 and #3 are actually done after THIS season so we'd have to act fast.

I really think accomplishing #1 could get us at least 1 more SB if not 2 more. For ONCE I wish they would jump on it.

Acerinox
01-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Asomugha? Seriously?
What are you, Redskins fans? Do you even know what team you support and how they do business?

And a kicker in the third round? Hell why not the first round? Or given Greg Warren's injury history, can't we trade our second round pick to trade UP in the first round to sign a long snapper?

lionslicer
01-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Draft a kicker in the 6th or 7th round. Or wait to sign one in the offseason, Steelers will have like 3 trying out during training camp.

Troy will have his contract extended whenever, not an issue since it will happen.

Asomugha wouldn't come here cheap, even if it is a winning team. Draft a CB in the 2nd round.
Draft a guard in the 1st.

I say draft a tackle in the 3rd round, let him develop under starks and colon.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Asomugha? Seriously?
What are you, Redskins fans? Do you even know what team you support and how they do business?

And a kicker in the third round? Hell why not the first round? Or given Greg Warren's injury history, can't we trade our second round pick to trade UP in the first round to sign a long snapper?

If you would calm the melodrama you could read better...I already explained the last pick of the 3rd round (ignoring some supplemental picks) is really like an early 4th round pick. If we wait until the last pick of the 4th (that's like an early fifth) then the top 1 or 2 kickers may be gone. If that's the case, we may just choose to wait and get a free agent. A kicker is important and could cost us games in the future (if not this year). Suisham is not the guy.

As far as Nmandi, if you could read, you would see I said "FOR ONCE" I'd like to see them catch the big fish. This is if he can be had for Revis money. It's worth it. I could see us getting to the SB more easily.

OX1947
01-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Steelers need to draft Wes Byrum to kick. That guy is money and can kick a mile.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Draft a kicker in the 6th or 7th round. Or wait to sign one in the offseason, Steelers will have like 3 trying out during training camp.

Troy will have his contract extended whenever, not an issue since it will happen.

Asomugha wouldn't come here cheap, even if it is a winning team. Draft a CB in the 2nd round.
Draft a guard in the 1st.

I say draft a tackle in the 3rd round, let him develop under starks and colon.

I think 4th is reasonable for a top kicker. if not, then might as well wait for a FA. I'd rather not gamble if an awesome one is out there...especially if he is good at KOs.
The reason I said 3rd is because the 32nd pick is like an early 4th. If we wait until OUR 4th 1 or 2 may be gone. The talent will level off after the top 1 or 2.

CB in the 2nd...I guess but keep in mind it is the end of the second. We might get lucky. There's no guarantee one at that position will be better than Butler or Lewis. it might be a long project. Nmandi could help us right away while Ike is still young enough to make a run.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Steelers need to draft Wes Byrum to kick. That guy is money and can kick a mile.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check him out. people underestimate the importance of a kicker. If his KOs are far and he is solid, we need him. There might be 2-3 games that come down to the kicker next year . It's no joke. Our 3rd is an early 4th people...with our choice because most will wait until the 4th to start drafting kickers...hello?

ETA:

IDK, he is 11/21 in the 40-49 range. He is 16/20 in the 30-39 range. He only attempted 1 kick 50 or more yards in 4 years.

I'm not super impressed...wouldn't waste a pick on him.

lionslicer
01-19-2011, 12:36 AM
CB in the 2nd...I guess but keep in mind it is the end of the second. We might get lucky. There's no guarantee one at that position will be better than Butler or Lewis. it might be a long project. Nmandi could help us right away while Ike is still young enough to make a run.

I just don't see Nmandi comming to the Steelers, but if I was a GM for the Steelers, I would take a shot at him, after I signed Ike, Woodley, and whoever else needs new contracts thats important to the team.

Merchant
01-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Nmandi Asomugha? You guys are dreaming lol

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Kai Forbath is 10/13 over 50 yards but for some reason had some issues with 40-49 last season (6/11). Overall he is 21 for 30 in that range. You never know if a bunch were 48 or 49. Those are a lot different than 41. Still his overall 30-39 is much better than that Auburn Kicker. He is 29/30 in that range.

JackHammer
01-19-2011, 12:50 AM
To say it's unrealistic to sign both Asomugha and a top free agent LT would be the understatement of the century. Top LT's don't come cheap at all and Asomugha is gonna have a high asking price even if he takes a discount. If this was how you ran a team, you wouldn't be in the Steelers FO. Their priorities are to take care of their own free agents(the ones they want to keep around at least), prepare for the draft, and THEN look at other free agents, in that order. There likely won't be any Asomugha's and top LT's remaining at that point.

My top seven would be:

1)Re-sign Woodley

2)Re-sign Ike

3)Extend Troy

4)Draft a corner early on(1st or 2nd Rd.). Someone who can come in and play across from Ike within a year or two, and eventually replace Ike.

5)Draft a NT early(1st or 2nd Rd.). Someone who can at least get on the field in year one, be a real contributor in year two, and replace Big Snack in year three.

6)Draft your future LT in the 3rd or 4th Rd. and bring him along behind Starks for a year or so.

7)Use free agency to acquire depth around the roster.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Nmandi Asomugha? You guys are dreaming lol

I know it is dreaming but don't you think it would put us in position to be favorites for the next 2 Superbowls?

imagine Nmandi, Ike, Troy, and Clark...Chills...with Bmac and Gay competing for nickel.
Our LBs are set and even though people keep talking about our D-line, we are good for a couple of years (Hood -Keisel, Hampton/Hoke).

That defense would be #1 in all categories...so why is it too much money?

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 01:03 AM
To say it's unrealistic to sign both Asomugha and a top free agent LT would be the understatement of the century. Top LT's don't come cheap at all and Asomugha is gonna have a high asking price even if he takes a discount. If this was how you ran a team, you wouldn't be in the Steelers FO. Their priorities are to take care of their own free agents(the ones they want to keep around at least), prepare for the draft, and THEN look at other free agents, in that order. There likely won't be any Asomugha's and top LT's remaining at that point.

My top seven would be:

1)Re-sign Woodley

2)Re-sign Ike

3)Extend Troy

4)Draft a corner early on(1st or 2nd Rd.). Someone who can come in and play across from Ike within a year or two, and eventually replace Ike.

5)Draft a NT early(1st or 2nd Rd.). Someone who can at least get on the field in year one, be a real contributor in year two, and replace Big Snack in year three.

6)Draft your future LT in the 3rd or 4th Rd. and bring him along behind Starks for a year or so.

Sounds reasonable but:
1. I don't think we need a NT this year. There is no room on the roster for 3 NTs and I think Hampton can give us 2 more years. I like Hoke too and don't want to cut him. So i say in the 2012 draft, we can pick a NT high and at that point cut Hoke and let the guy split with Hampton. Good ones don't take 3 years to develop. Look at Hampton and Ngata.

2. nothing exciting about a future LT in the 3rd or 4th round. How do you know Chris Scott isn't him already. That's no improvement. You are right though that it would be hard to get both Nmandi and a LT. I want to make a run for 2 more SBs right away while we still have Troy, Harrison, clark and the others and you are thinking about the deep future. I'm OK with Starks though if we can't get one. I'd rather have Nmandi.

3. I have explained the value of Nmandi in an earlier post...pricey ...yes. Worth it? Yes.

4. Nothing exciting about a second round (almost 3rd round) CB. Maybe Butler or Lewis is already as good.

I know what the Box is...I was trying to think outside the Box. Nmandi is worth it.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 01:20 AM
Basically I see 2 glaring weaknesses on our team for an immediate SB run while we still have everyone:

OL
and
CB

We can't afford to slowly find players who will be ready in 3 years for those. For the other positions, we can.

steelerjim58
01-19-2011, 01:55 AM
As I have said in other posts, no corner is worth what Revis and Asumwhatever are getting. If the Steelers sign their own free agents and improve the o-line from mediocre to even good, they will be serious superbowl contenders.

Acerinox
01-19-2011, 02:40 AM
I already explained the last pick of the 3rd round (ignoring some supplemental picks) is really like an early 4th round pick.

Except when did we ever pick early in the round, over the last decade? Two years? Going by your argument, that we can downgrade each pick because it's so low, then we have NO first round pick.
So... you say... in a year with no first round pick... when we are an organization designed to build for the future through the draft... that we should take a kicker with our third choice.

A kicker is important and could cost us games in the future (if not this year). Suisham is not the guy.

I don't know about that. Seems like he's done just fine so far. There's absolutely no guarantee that any stud kicker out of college will get it done in the pros. Never has been. Reed wasn't exactly the most desirable kicker ever when we picked him up either, but he went on to do OK!

As far as Nmandi, if you could read, you would see I said "FOR ONCE" I'd like to see them catch the big fish.

If we're going to catch a big fish - this is not the one. Tackle - definitely. Guard even.
But why bust the bank on a shutdown corner when you're just going to ask him to play zone and soft coverage much of the time? We need good cornerbacks - but not great ones.

Just one last point on this. Each time you hand a fat paycheck to someone, you're implicitly reducing production in other areas of the team. Some guys are worth that. But look at who we are really paying. Troy, Ben, Silverback. Guys who (1) make plays (2) are leaders (3) change games single-handedly. Proactive players.
Now look at guys who we don't pay. We were not going to renew Holmes. Great player, fantastic AT HIS POSITION, but doesn't have the 1-2-3 the others do. Faneca, Kimo, Hope, Plax etc - same stories. Asomugha fits this category too. I bet if he was on OUR team and up for RENEWAL now that we wouldn't pay him - let alone pick him up from somewhere else.

verks36
01-19-2011, 03:29 AM
can we just put this to bed Nmandi is not going to be a steeler next season. There is always chatter on the forums about getting a big name free agent but sorry if you guys havent spotted the trend yet but it never happens and that a good thing. Get Nmandi for cheap? Even if we got Nmandi for cheap it still would be way to expensive for the steelers and Nmandi is going to be vastly over payed by the redskins of the cowboys he is not coming to the steelers.

If the steelers ever get a shut down corner its going to have to come through the draft. I think O-line is a much bigger concern than our secondary. But are draft should focus on O-line, Secondary

JackHammer
01-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Sounds reasonable but:
1. I don't think we need a NT this year. There is no room on the roster for 3 NTs and I think Hampton can give us 2 more years. I like Hoke too and don't want to cut him. So i say in the 2012 draft, we can pick a NT high and at that point cut Hoke and let the guy split with Hampton. Good ones don't take 3 years to develop. Look at Hampton and Ngata.

2. nothing exciting about a future LT in the 3rd or 4th round. How do you know Chris Scott isn't him already. That's no improvement. You are right though that it would be hard to get both Nmandi and a LT. I want to make a run for 2 more SBs right away while we still have Troy, Harrison, clark and the others and you are thinking about the deep future. I'm OK with Starks though if we can't get one. I'd rather have Nmandi.

3. I have explained the value of Nmandi in an earlier post...pricey ...yes. Worth it? Yes.

4. Nothing exciting about a second round (almost 3rd round) CB. Maybe Butler or Lewis is already as good.

I know what the Box is...I was trying to think outside the Box. Nmandi is worth it.

"Nothing exciting" is a recurring theme here, but I wouldn't be drafting and signing free agents for excitement. The Steelers fan base doesn't need to be invigorated with exciting acquisitions. We have enough to be excited about. It's about building a team and building a team usually doesn't consist of waiting until a need pops up and then drafting a first rounder or signing a top dollar free agent to fill the void. You draft guys ahead of time and let them grow within the system so they're ready whenever their time comes. Ike Taylor was a fourth rounder. Right now he's one of the top cover guys in the NFL, and he's been a MAJOR contributor to all of our championship caliber defenses.

1) We have 3 NT's on the roster right now. The third is Steve McLendon(rookie free agent). It's not about this year. Not many rookies make it onto the field for the Steelers defense and this would be no exception. The hope would be for him to at least get some limited playing time in year one(much like Ziggy in his first season), become a weekly contributor in year two, and be ready to replace Big Snack in year three.

2) I honestly would love to get a top LT, but I think we can definitely get by with what we have now. I know LT's are very important, but why spend a ton on one when you can draft a guy and bring him along to do the job just fine? At worst, you have another body for the depth chart.

3) I can't argue his value, but he'll have to come cheap for me to sign him. As great as he'd be here, we don't need him by any stretch of the imagination. With or without him, our defense is going to be force. We can draft CB's for the future and they'll be ready when we really do need them. If I was going to do any significant amount of free agent spending, I'd probably look for an ILB to either take Farrior's spot(so TImmons can stay in his current role) or take Timmons' spot and move Timmons over to Farrior's spot.

4) Yeah, I'm really high on Crezdon Butler tbh. A big reason he was a 5th round pick is because he stayed for his sr year and his numbers went waaaaaaaaay down since teams were scared to throw it his way. His Sr year, Clemson was the #6 D in the nation. I think he has a bright future and he could very well be Ike's replacement one day, but you can't count on it to happen with a fifth rounder.

pete74
01-19-2011, 06:08 AM
i dont see us being able to afford Nmandi Asomugha so would go after the younger Johnathan Joseph who is also a free agent.

pete74
01-19-2011, 06:10 AM

My top seven would be:

1)Re-sign Woodley

2)Re-sign Ike

3)Extend Troy

we definatly need a NT this year. our 2 are old and have 2 years left so if we dont do it now to prepare for the future our defense will be hurting. i dont see hampton staying healthy and playing at a high level for 2 more years

Rick5895
01-19-2011, 06:43 AM
As I have said in other posts, no corner is worth what Revis and Asumwhatever are getting. If the Steelers sign their own free agents and improve the o-line from mediocre to even good, they will be serious superbowl contenders.

Absolutely. :applaudit: We need OL help particularly at Guard. If Mike Pouncey is available when we pick in the 1st, take him. I would like to see what we have in Butler, he kind of reminds me of a young Ike. CB 2nd rd. OT 3rd. then DL depth

plenewken
01-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Am I missing something? We already are serious Superbowl contenders. We're 1 home game away from our 8th shot at it.

TRH
01-19-2011, 08:59 AM
# 1 isn't going to take a "DISCOUNT" lol

TRH
01-19-2011, 09:00 AM

My top seven would be:

1)Re-sign Woodley

2)Re-sign Ike

3)Extend Troy

i'd like to keep Woodley as well, i just don't know if its possible. Its quite likely some other teams might throw huge mony at him that we just don't have the room for

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Except when did we ever pick early in the round, over the last decade? Two years? Going by your argument, that we can downgrade each pick because it's so low, then we have NO first round pick.
So... you say... in a year with no first round pick... when we are an organization designed to build for the future through the draft... that we should take a kicker with our third choice.
I wouldn't use that argument. We've had some picks in the middle of the round during our bad years 2007 and 20010 are examples. My only point is if one considers it reasonable to take kickers in the 4th as teams do ...last pick of 3rd should not be much of a difference. It gives you a chance to get the one you want for sure.

I don't know about that. Seems like he's done just fine so far. There's absolutely no guarantee that any stud kicker out of college will get it done in the pros. Never has been. Reed wasn't exactly the most desirable kicker ever when we picked him up either, but he went on to do OK!
Kickers will be important for sure next year...at least 2-3 games and that's huge. Suisham hasn't been good by history and he makes me nervous. I'd rather get a kicker who is better in the 30-39 range...I want those to be automatic. i want him to be good in the early 40s too...maybe to 43.

I know rookie kickers can be nervous. Some have that kid look with nervousness and others look confident. I want the confident looking guy...still has to make the kicks but will mature quicker.

If we're going to catch a big fish - this is not the one. Tackle - definitely. Guard even.
But why bust the bank on a shutdown corner when you're just going to ask him to play zone and soft coverage much of the time? We need good cornerbacks - but not great ones.

Good point on the zone. i thought of that...but then i thought of many times where i see McFadden being beat and Nmandi would look good in those situations. Ike helps us out a lot so skill is important. If it were BMac and Gay as starters, we wouldn't be as good.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
"Nothing exciting" is a recurring theme here, but I wouldn't be drafting and signing free agents for excitement. The Steelers fan base doesn't need ...

When I say that I mean a shot in the dark and nothing to make me think any difference will be realized other than if we get lucky. Sure we are always hoping to find gems in the draft. Tony hills didn't work out. With some of the ideas, we can't be sure Chris Scott or C. butler isn't better than those options...that's what I meant. I'm not saying we shouldn't try but i wouldn't bet on "finding our future starting LT in the 3rd or 4th round"

1) We have 3 NT's on the roster right now. The third is Steve McLendon(rookie free agent). It's not about this year. Not many rookies make it onto the field for the Steelers defense and this would be no exception. The hope would be for him to at least get some limited playing time in year one(much like Ziggy in his first season), become a weekly contributor in year two, and be ready to replace Big Snack in year three.

We haven't had 3 in the past. That just happened because we kept messing around and lost Gibson. In the past though, we've had 5DEs on the team instead of 4 so really McLendon was really brought in to help because we were banged up on the line with limited back-up.

I want a high draft pick to replace Hampton (unless we get lucky) and I don't think it needs to take 3 years to develop him as you were describing. I can give many examples of NTs or DTs that came right in and played in the NFL (if they are top talent). We would probably only need him to fill in for Hampton one year (like Hoke does) then in his second year he would be good to go (for a top talent). People have been panicking about Hamptons replacement for years. I've been hearing that since the 08 draft (3 drafts ago...08, 09, 10) (probably because he came in out of shape for Tomlins first year). We are now on 2011 and i still don't see it as urgent to find his replacement. So now for the 4th year in a row i have to hear that crap. It is urgent we find Hampton's replacement. I say wait until next year 2012 draft and use a 1st or 2nd rounder on him.

Hood would have been put in there sooner if it were not for Smith and Keisel.

2) I honestly would love to get a top LT, but I think we can definitely get by with what we have now. I know LT's are very important, but why spend a ton on one when you can draft a guy and bring him along to do the job just fine? At worst, you have another body for the depth chart.

I'm cool with Starks and you have a good point.

3) ...If I was going to do any significant amount of free agent spending, I'd probably look for an ILB to either take Farrior's spot(so TImmons can stay in his current role) or take Timmons' spot and move Timmons over to Farrior's spot.
Did you forget we have Stevenson Sylvester in development. We sure as hell don't need any more LBs. Nine on the roster was tough. Gibson going just made it more reasonable. Now we are down to 8. No to LBs...especially inside LBs. We have 4. Foote or Fox can help fill in until Sylvester is ready.

4) Yeah, I'm really high on Crezdon Butler tbh. A big reason he was a 5th round pick is because he stayed for his sr year and his numbers went waaaaaaaaay down since teams were scared to throw it his way. His Sr year, Clemson was the #6 D in the nation. I think he has a bright future and he could very well be Ike's replacement one day, but you can't count on it to happen with a fifth rounder.
Cool. I hope he is good. i'm no longer comfortable with BMac.

SteelKnight
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
i dont see us being able to afford Nmandi Asomugha so would go after the younger Johnathan Joseph who is also a free agent.
Cool. I didn't know that. that would be a good pick up. Thanks for the heads up. Is there a good site with available FAs? I want to see who is available for the OL.

we definatly need a NT this year. our 2 are old and have 2 years left so if we dont do it now to prepare for the future our defense will be hurting. i dont see hampton staying healthy and playing at a high level for 2 more years

Please...no. Read my other post. People have been saying it is urgent to find his replacement since the 08 draft. This will be the 4th draft since and i still say we can wait another year. It will only take one year to develop a top talent. So i don't want to waste our 1st or 2nd round pick on NT this year when we have other pressing issues. All later picks are just guesses anyway so it doesn't matter but we don't have room for 3 NTs on the roster so if we use a 3rd (and probably 4th pick), we will likely have to cut Hoke. A 5th rounder can be placed on the PS. I say wait until 2012 draft...we can cut Hoke then.

Absolutely. :applaudit: We need OL help particularly at Guard. If Mike Pouncey is available when we pick in the 1st, take him. I would like to see what we have in Butler, he kind of reminds me of a young Ike. CB 2nd rd. OT 3rd. then DL depth
Butler looked good to me too but gosh...we are not developing him by having him inactive all the time. If he we wanted to develop him perhaps he could have played a little in the dime defense (where Madison plays). I also don't know what the hell happened to K. Lewis. I haven't heaed of him since that fight in preseason where they said he was in Tomlin's doghouse.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Changed my mind:

1. Get Jonathan Joseph CB Bengals (Free Agent)

2. Resign or Franchise Woodley

3. Resign Ike Taylor

4. Trade our 3rd and 5th round picks to move up and take Mike Pouncey to play RG

5. Extend Polamalu's contract before the season starts

6. Make a run at Brad Smith for KR/PR (FA Jets)

7. Draft a kicker with the 3rd round pick. Since it is 32nd, it is almost like an early 4th round pick anyway. Only do that if you can get a kicker that looks confident ...not like a nervous rookie. I don't trust Suisham for our long term future.

pete74
01-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Cool. I didn't know that. that would be a good pick up. Thanks for the heads up. Is there a good site with available FAs? I want to see who is available for the OL.

Please...no. Read my other post. People have been saying it is urgent to find his replacement since the 08 draft. This will be the 4th draft since and i still say we can wait another year. It will only take one year to develop a top talent. So i don't want to waste our 1st or 2nd round pick on NT this year when we have other pressing issues. All later picks are just guesses anyway so it doesn't matter but we don't have room for 3 NTs on the roster so if we use a 3rd (and probably 4th pick), we will likely have to cut Hoke. A 5th rounder can be placed on the PS. I say wait until 2012 draft...we can cut Hoke then.

Butler looked good to me too but gosh...we are not developing him by having him inactive all the time. If he we wanted to develop him perhaps he could have played a little in the dime defense (where Madison plays). I also don't know what the hell happened to K. Lewis. I haven't heaed of him since that fight in preseason where they said he was in Tomlin's doghouse.

ok say we take your advice and not grab a NT this year. the followins season we will be playing with a 35 year old Hampton, a 36 year old Hoke. we also may or may not have a rookie NT depending on if any good ones come out of college that year.

its easy to say Hampton will continue to play at a high level but time has shown differently. the injuries will start and he will start going down. we need a NT now so were ready. Hoke can be kept as a backup NT/DE.

i would love to grab Pouncey in the 1st then trade up for Phil Taylor from Baylor in the 2nd. Jerrell Powe is also an option for our 2nd rounder

steelers33
01-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Resign Woodley and Ike. We needtodraft some young defensive talent as well on top of O-line needs. Let's just hope that the defense next year doesn't drop off too much because of age, so the 2012 draft we can specifically draft defense. I think for offense if we get a top flight o-lineman we will be set on that side of the ball for the next 5-7 years.

steeltheone
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Sign free agent Logan Mankins of the Patriots ...We are to old to do everything through the draft. We have to sign some Free agents.

LegendSteel
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
My top priorities would be to re-sign Woodley and Ike...get those done before you do anything else. I say pass on Asomugha...he'll want too much.

wutchy
01-28-2011, 03:26 PM
This draft has lots of real real good big men. Its loaded with d-line and o-line excellent players. The first round will deplete the supply.
There are no great RB's except Ingram. Belichick should grab him.
There are some real solid CB"s and Safetys too.
I think everybody in the leaguge is going to go line in the first round because there are so many really good ones out there.
Steelers need o-linemen badly. I suspect they'll get a couple OT's with the first two picks. Or an OT and mike Pouncey if he is available.

I wouldn't shop for Asamunga, I'd make a serious try to get Ngata. Offer 25 million over 4 years. Cut Smith to save 5 mill a year.

I like our DB's. Plenty of DB's will be available in the second and third round.
If the steelers drop-off in 2012, maybe go 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs, they should be in prime shape to get the next truly great safety in Mark Barron of Alabama in 2012. AKA SUPERMAN.

It's hard to complain about a roster when you are playing in the super bowl. Stand pat and grab some guys in the draft, and try to get Ngata. The draft will be deep because there are so many good big men that will go in round one. You can fill needs in the next rounds.

I think that the steelrs cxan get a real good RB if they look a little bit because the game has changed with everybody going to a natural surface. Great rug runners are a thing of the past. Look for guys that have a high yards per carry average and forget about the number of carries. Evaluating grass runners is a different animal than draft gurus are used to. The rug runners gave us some great thrills from 1970 to 2000. But you need to find the good grass runners now.

I'd draft an Ot in round one, Pouncey or a OG in round two, A good grass runer in round three. And try to find a few d-linemen and DB's in rounds 4 thru 6. Some real gems should be undrafted and that could be a great source for added talent.

SteelKnight
01-30-2011, 04:28 PM
ok say we take your advice and not grab a NT this year. the followins season we will be playing with a 35 year old Hampton, a 36 year old Hoke. we also may or may not have a rookie NT depending on if any good ones come out of college that year.

its easy to say Hampton will continue to play at a high level but time has shown differently. the injuries will start and he will start going down. we need a NT now so were ready. Hoke can be kept as a backup NT/DE.

I think it becomes hard to keep 3NTs on the team. Someone has pointed out that we have 3 now with McClendon. That was because we kept messing around and lost Gibson. They haven't kept 3NT before recently. If anything, the extra spot would go towards a 5th DE.

Since I like Hoke and Hampton, I say give the duo one more year. If they find a 5th round pick or lower who looks good that we can develop on the PS, great. After the 2011 season, we can take a NT with the 1st pick and let Hoke go (he may then retire).

Hampton gets a lot of rest. Gay plays sometimes and Hoke subs for him sometimes. My point is this is the 4th draft in a row where people have said it is URGENT to find Hampton's replacement.. It all started after he showed up out of shape for Tomlin's first season in 07...so for the 2008, 2009, 2010, and now the 2011 draft, we hear the same thing. If we HAD drafted a replacement back then, it would have just created drama. Who wants a first round pick sitting on the bench and why not be loyal to Hampton? I give Hoke another year and Hampton 2 more years as a starter. He may even be able to hang around one additional year if we need him to relieve the new second year taking over.

I'm not opposed to taking a NT but I think we have other needs (O-line and CB)...and I like Hoke for one more year.

Again...I see that NT development thing as a myth. Hampton (I believe), Ngata, Raji...they played right away. If anything, 1 year would be enough.

Sign free agent Logan Mankins of the Patriots ...We are to old to do everything through the draft. We have to sign some Free agents.

I like it. You guys have convinced me that Kemo is good now so that would mean Mankins would have to play on the right.

SteelKnight
01-30-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd draft an Ot in round one, Pouncey or a OG in round two, A good grass runer in round three. And try to find a few d-linemen and DB's in rounds 4 thru 6. Some real gems should be undrafted and that could be a great source for added talent.

First, there is no way Pouncey will be there at pick #64. I doubt he will even be there with pick #32.

Second. An OT would be nice but how good are they? They were hyping Bulaga as one of the elite 4 last year but he hasn't been impressive. I worry that by pick #32 the good ones might be gone and we will be reaching. It might be better to get the 2nd best guard than the 6th best OT.

I like it when there are a lot of promising QBs, RBs, WRs, TEs in the draft because we don't need any and it lets the players we need fall to us.

Third. I don't think we need a RB at all. In fact, I feel Redman is underutilized. I wish he would take over Moore's duty as a 3rd down back. He can block and he would be more of a threat to run. I think he could develop into a Ray Rice for us. I think Mendenhall and Redman is a nice 1-2 combo. We haven't even see what Dwyer offers and we will have to make a decision on "Tank' next year. I really don't want to draft a RB at all.

El Nino
01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
re-sign both ike and gay.

redo woodley's contract

make a play for mike pouncey, at RG in the draft

keep flozell as a backup if he chooses not to retire (though he might)

draft another wr for depth, hines ward may be retiring and sweed if he doesnt pan out this is his last chance. greg salas is a 6'4" good route runner that should slip to the late rounds because he plays for hawaii ;)

address other needs through the draft, I would put 1st priority at OL. we are a good RG away from having a solid as hell line if they can all stay healthy.

madtowndrunkard
01-30-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't see any glaring needs on this team.

My goal in the off season would be to retain the players we currently have.

Then draft a RB and a NT early. I think we need a legit back up to Mendy. I think we need to start thinking about Hampton's replacement.

I'd watch the FA wire for depth on the O-line. Possibly find a pro bowl caliber OT or OG...that would be great.

SteelKnight
01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Then draft a RB and a NT early. I think we need a legit back up to Mendy. I think we need to start thinking about Hampton's replacement.

I don't know why people keep suggesting RB when we are underutilizing Redman. I don't think we need another RB at all.

steeltheone
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
re-sign both ike and gay.

redo woodley's contract

make a play for mike pouncey, at RG in the draft

keep flozell as a backup if he chooses not to retire (though he might)

draft another wr for depth, hines ward may be retiring and sweed if he doesnt pan out this is his last chance. greg salas is a 6'4" good route runner that should slip to the late rounds because he plays for hawaii ;)

address other needs through the draft, I would put 1st priority at OL. we are a good RG away from having a solid as hell line if they can all stay healthy.

Its really hard to keep old vets as backups. Per Union Contract they have to make a certain amount with years and position. Adams makes 2.5 mil. Way to much to ride the pine.

A back like Dwyer are a dime a dozen. We have way to many needs to waste a pick on a back.

Hampton is overpaid. We were forced to pay him because of no younger guy in the wings. When Hampton is out, there is no drop off in play. Hoke does fine as a fill in, at a 1/3 of the money. Problem is he is to old to be an every down player. Togather they work good for now. A draft pick here is a good idea.

Farrior needs replaced too. He had a good season. 36 is just to old to depend on. They gotta see if his replacement is on the roster.

Corey_J
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
1 .Resign Lebeau
2. Resign I Taylor
3. Franchise woodley
4. get a kicker that can kick a deep ball
5. extend Polamalus contract

SteelKnight
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Its really hard to keep old vets as backups. Per Union Contract they have to make a certain amount with years and position. Adams makes 2.5 mil. Way to much to ride the pine.

A back like Dwyer are a dime a dozen. We have way to many needs to waste a pick on a back.

Hampton is overpaid. We were forced to pay him because of no younger guy in the wings. When Hampton is out, there is no drop off in play. Hoke does fine as a fill in, at a 1/3 of the money. Problem is he is to old to be an every down player. Togather they work good for now. A draft pick here is a good idea.

Farrior needs replaced too. He had a good season. 36 is just to old to depend on. They gotta see if his replacement is on the roster.

Please don't tell me drafting an ILB crossed your mind. We already have 5. Hopefully Sylvester can replace Farrior and if not Foote (who makes more than Farrior) could fill in until he's ready. Personally, I'd like to get ILB back down to 4.

I think Adams would be starting if he stayed.

I agree there is not much drop off when Hoke takes over for Hampton.

We can't dump players like Hampton,Aaron Smith, and Farrior. It would not look good for image.

btaylor179
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
pouncey will be gone before we draft

SteelKnight
01-30-2011, 05:35 PM
1 .Resign Lebeau
2. Resign I Taylor
3. Franchise woodley
4. get a kicker that can kick a deep ball
5. extend Polamalus contract

I'm glad you focused on a kicker. A kicker could be worth 2 or 3 games next season.

I guess we could franchise Woodley. As much as I love Woodley, if he wants Demarcus Ware money we have to let him go. Timmons could switch over to OLB and Foote could step in while we work to develop Worilds. If he will settle for James Harrison money then we should make a run. We would want to know that before we spend a franchise tag on him. He is awesome. I think he will have a great SB playing against Bulaga...might even be MVP.