PDA

View Full Version : Too confident?

SteelCurtain0815
01-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Are we as fans being too confident about beating the Jets to get to the super bowl? I see a lot of you are already counting us in. I agree that we outplayed the Jets in the regular season, and didn't have Troy or Heath, but you can throw all of that out the window, because this is the playoffs! Look at the Seahawks beating the Saints. The Jets just beat the Patriots because they are a very good team. I just think that some of you are underestimating them, and I'm a very superstitious person. What I am saying is, don't count your chickens before they hatch. I believe we are going to win this game, but I'm not getting overly confident, because that's how teams lose, and again, I'm very superstitious!

:tt02:

sarahpalinhater
01-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Are we as fans being too confident about beating the Jets to get to the super bowl? I see a lot of you are already counting us in. I agree that we outplayed the Jets in the regular season, and didn't have Troy or Heath, but you can throw all of that out the window, because this is the playoffs! Look at the Seahawks beating the Saints. The Jets just beat the Patriots because they are a very good team. I just think that some of you are underestimating them, and I'm a very superstitious person. What I am saying is, don't count your chickens before they hatch. I believe we are going to win this game, but I'm not getting overly confident, because that's how teams lose, and again, I'm very superstitious!

I agree with what you are saying. I pointed out that in the past, we have always played home playoff games too conservately. And that might hurt us again. But, since we lost to this team a month ago at home, I think that will be the key thing that keeps the team focused. But in america,,,,ANYTHING is possible. Sure we could lose. But if we do, it will be just that, WE will lose. The Jets will NOT beat us. I just don't see any real advantages for them over us in most of the key areas. But yeah, IF we have a brain Dead day, and turn it over a few times. Or commit too many drive killing penalties, yes, we could lose. As a practical fan I have to admit that.

ZoneBlitzer
01-19-2011, 01:25 AM
With areas of critical weakness on the offensive line and in special teams, I'm not confident at all. I think all will depend on how well the Steelers offense performs against a very tough and intelligent defense.

Just remember that many of the Steelers points in the last game came in short-field situations. They may not be so fortunate this time around. Also, third and 19 isn't going to cut it against the crew they are going against. The Steelers will have to play smarter football on offense to beat this Jets team in the playoffs. They will have to bring their "A" game. This means making positive gains on first downs and creating manageable 3rd down situations for Ben to handle. They also have to mix it up in 2nd down situations. No longer will run, run, pass, punt will work. I expect to see strategic blitzes of Ben in Third and Long situations, and usually those don't turn out so well.

SteelCurtain0815
01-19-2011, 01:34 AM
I agree with both of you, I'm just not going to write us in yet. We have the advantage with the game being at Heinz, and with the way our D is playing right now, but the Jets are a very well coached team and are a lot like us in many ways. You have to give them respect. This is going to be a hard fought battle just like the Ravens game. I hope it's not such a nailbiter, but those games make good times to :drink:. With all that being said, I believe we will win this game.

Diamond-D
01-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Well, I'm not superstitious at all but I do agree that some fans are very confident (some might say overconfident).

Of course I think we are a good chance to win and I'd even agree that we probably deserve to go in as favorites. But we definitely aren't the overwhelming favorites that some seem to think we are. The Jets really stepped it up against the Patriots and while we are a completely different team in style that doesn't necessarily mean the Jets will have trouble adjusting. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Nothing is a foregone conclusion in the playoffs, especially given the teams the Jets have beaten.

It's fine to be confident when circumstances warrant it, but I don't think this is a game Steelers fans should be overconfident and arrogant about as the Jets are in with a very good chance.

Deserei90
01-19-2011, 02:58 AM
You should look at the overconfident and ****y Jets Fans. I already heard a couple of them saying beating The Steelers is going to be easier than beating the Pats and Indy:doh: Personally at times I am confident, but sometimes I'm not. Neither Jets or Steelers Fans should be too confident going into this game. It's okay being sorta confident, but not too confident. I still feel The Steelers have good chance, even though special teams need to be on point and offense needs to protect Ben a little better, but other than that, I'm sure it will go fine. The Steelers know the stakes, as well as the Jets probably. But I feel The Steelers are a little more experienced in playoffs than The Jets.

JackHammer
01-19-2011, 03:20 AM

Our overconfidence as fans has absolutely no effect on what takes place on the field, although it might make us louder @ Heinz Field come game time.

CASTEEL
01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Not overconfident here ... but I do like our chances better that if we were going to Patsy land... Plus I like that we've played 'em and lost to 'em ... I think that a benefit :)

scsteeler
01-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Fans can be as confident as they want it is the players who must not get to overconfident.

4xSBChamps
01-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I warned fans about becoming over-confident, reminding them of previous times when the Steelers hosted playoff games against teams thought to be inferior (1992, '94, '97, '01, and '04) that the team lost, and the idea was poo-poo'd.

it'll depened-upon which Steeler team shows-up Sunday, the team that turned the ball over in the first half against Baltimore, or the group that dominated the 2nd half of that same game

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 07:54 AM

Umm because we are the fans and not the players. What we say will not have an affect on the game at all. Now if the players are talking like we are talking, thats a different story, then we should be worried.

TRH
01-19-2011, 07:57 AM
i think both sides (fans) and displaying over-confidence and its just equalling itself out lol

grward
01-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Not overconfident here ... but I do like our chances better that if we were going to Patsy land... Plus I like that we've played 'em and lost to 'em ... I think that a benefit :)

I agree completely with this. I'm not overconfident at all, but we do have a good shot at this.

As for being superstitious, It's Myron's birthday Sunday! Maybe Myron will be there in spirit and make sure a few bounces go our way!!

FanSince72
01-19-2011, 08:45 AM

That's pretty much how I look at it.

As much as I'd like to think so, I really don't have any control over this or any other game. If I did I'd be on a plane to Vegas. So it really doesn't make any difference whether I stay quiet and hope for the best or stand on my roof shouting about guarantees.

I feel really good about our chances to run the table and deep down I think we will but I plan to stay off of my roof and keep my trap shut just the same. :wink02:

vasteeler
01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
i am over confidant in my steelers, but i am a fan not a player so it does not matter how confidant i am .....steelers 48 - jets 0:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
i am over confidant in my steelers, but i am a fan not a player so it does not matter how confidant i am .....steelers 48 - jets 0:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Exactly, those fools don't have a chance.:tt03:

TOOLofSTEEL
01-19-2011, 09:38 AM

What we think has little effect on the game.
We know how this team is and how they don't take stuff for granted and play for each other. Just the thought of, if we lose this game we're done for the season, is enough for them to bring their A-game.

And I don't think the Jets A-game is as good as our A-game. So I'm not really concerned about it. The balance is shifted a little more in our favor than theirs.

wutchy
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
The real question is "Which QB will make the key throws"? There will be times that Braylon Edwards beats Ike. And Santonio will beat Gay at times, and Cotchery will beat B MAC [ if he plays] at times.
Keller will beat the LB that covers him at times, and Tomlinson will get seperation on Troy at times.
The question is, will Sanchez be on time and on target?

Conversely, you can forget about Logan beating Cromartie too much, and Cromartie will have safety help deep because Logan does hve speed. And Revis won't struggle with whoever he covers.
Hines will get doubled , especially on third down. And Heath will get covereed by a LB underneath and with safety help.

BEN WILL HAVE MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH SMALLER WINDOWS TO THROW INTO, THAN SANCHEZ.

I laugh when i hear stupid unknowledgeable people around here say that Troy will be the key to victory.

THE KEY TO VICTORY WILL BE HOW TIGHT THE STEELER CB'S CAN COVER THE JETS WR'S.
GAY HAS TO SHUT DOWN HOLMES.
IKE HAS TO SHUT DOWN EDWARDS
B MAC HAD TO SHUT DOWN COTCHERY
CLARK HAS TO PLAY GREAT CENTER FIELD
TROY HAS TO SPY AND BEAT HALL OF FAMER LT ALL DAY
LB'S HAVE TO SHUT DOWN KELLER.

BEN HAS TO THROW INTO TIGHT COVERAGE
WE HAVE TO RUN TO SLOW DOWN THE PASS RUSH

WE WILL LOSE THE SPECIAL TEAMS BATTLE, SO WE GO IN WITH A HANDI-CAP.

Overconfidence isn't even dealing in reality here.

stlrtruck
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
I haven't been over confident. If anything this jets team makes me nervous. They're scrappy, they're hard nosed, and they've won in two of the most hardest placest to win in the NFL. With that being said, I'm sure Tomlin and the rest of the coaches will have the team focused for Sunday, not a game 3 weeks from now.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 10:21 AM
The real question is "Which QB will make the key throws"? There will be times that Braylon Edwards beats Ike. And Santonio will beat Gay at times, and Cotchery will beat B MAC [ if he plays] at times.
Keller will beat the LB that covers him at times, and Tomlinson will get seperation on Troy at times.

Conversely, you can forget about Logan beating Cromartie too much, and Cromartie will have safety help deep because Logan does hve speed. And Revis won't struggle with whoever he covers.
Hines will get doubled , especially on third down. And Heath will get covereed by a LB underneath and with safety help.

I laugh when i hear stupid unknowledgeable people around here say that Troy will be the key to victory.

You know what this post needs more of? Yelling and Caps. :coffee:

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 10:25 AM

Who's Logan?

CHILL WITH THE CAPS ALL THE TIME.

There's no reason for it at all.

grward
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM

I love this post and gets me psyched for the game!!! GREAT POST!!! This is how it should ALWAYS be!!!

steelerschik
01-19-2011, 10:28 AM

LOL, delusional Jets fan or delusional Ravens fan...can't decide. Could be both. And who is Logan?

Buddha Bus
01-19-2011, 10:30 AM

And we laugh every time you reference a guy who was cut before the season even started. Thank God we have you around to school us with your vast amounts of "knowledge". :nw: :jerkit:

steelerschik
01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
And we laugh every time you reference a guy who was cut before the season even started. Thank God we have you around to school us with your vast amounts of "knowledge". :nw: :jerkit:

Yeah, is "it" talking about Stefan Logan? LOL, it's not even a good troll. If you're gonna pose as a team's fan, at least know the current roster for God's sake.

Buddha Bus
01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah, is "it" talking about Stefan Logan? LOL, it's not even a good troll. If you're gonna pose as a team's fan, at least know the current roster for God's sake.

Yes. I find it real difficult to believe a guy who plays for the Detroit Lions is going to affect the outcome of a playoff game between the Steelers and Jets. :noidea:

I guess I could have just ended that last sentence at "game". :wink02: :chuckle:

Fire Arians
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
too confident? NO. any team that goes into foxboro and takes on the pats is not to be taken lightly, AT ALL.

am i confident that our team CAN win? yes, most definitely.

steelerschik
01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Yes. I find it real difficult to believe a guy who plays for the Detroit Lions is going to affect the outcome of a playoff game between the Steelers and Jets. :noidea:

I guess I could have just ended that last sentence at "game". :wink02: :chuckle:

LOL, I guess he/she/it thought it really had us! Gotta love some of these Jets fans tho. On here they've been cool, but I get the biggest kick out of those who pretend to be Steelers fans. They are by far the most entertaining. Oh well, whatever makes you feel better about your team I suppose, I know I feel great about mine!!! :tt: :tt02:

Buddha Bus
01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
LOL, I guess he/she/it thought it really had us! Gotta love some of these Jets fans tho. On here they've been cool, but I get the biggest kick out of those who pretend to be Steelers fans. They are by far the most entertaining. Oh well, whatever makes you feel better about your team I suppose, I know I feel great about mine!!! :tt: :tt02:

Me too. :tt04: :tt03: :tt02: :tt: :helmet:

Foreign Alphabet
01-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Ha if fans from either team are very confident about this game then they are too confident. The game in the regular season was very, very close. The Steelers have Troy back and the home field advantage, and the jets are on a hot streak and just beat the best team in the NFL. This is going to be quite the game, and I would be shocked if this game ended by more than a two score differential. Most likely will come down to the 4th quarter

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm overconfident, but as someone said fans can never be too confident.

At the same time though, I can't help but shake the thought in the back of my mind of 07 against the Jags.

TurkJetFan
01-19-2011, 03:03 PM

I think both teams feel extreme sense of confidence....and both sides have been really quiet....but can't you just feel the buildup to this game growing by the day? it's going to be a knock down drag out fight on Sunday.

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I ain't overlooking the Jets.

steeltheone
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I know the players are not. Thats what matters. This will be the last shot for many of them.

UMBC79
01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Rex is cooking up something. It is not like the Jets to be so quiet before a big game. I expect the Steelers to win this one, but something tells me not to be too confident about it. There is something about the way that the Jets are playing, the way they beat New England.....you know that "team of destiny thing.

And they are going to fight very hard to avoid losing two AFC Championship games in a row.

In a way it's less painful to go one and out in the playoffs, or lose in the divisonal round, rather than to get the AFC Championship game and lose. Being so close to the Super Bowl and not making it.

caseyviator
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
IM NOT OVERCONFIDENT
WE WIN

37-23 THIS IS CONSIDERED A BLOWOUT IN A GAME LIKE THIS

SO IM PREDICTING A 2ND HALF BLOWOUT

sharkweek
01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't know, I'm pretty worried.

This is the second season in a row the Jets made it to the AFC championship game, and Rex Ryan said the only thing that is different is that this time they plan on winning it. I guess they weren't trying to win last year, so this year I think we're in trouble now that they are going to try.

nycdan
01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't know, I'm pretty worried.

This is the second season in a row the Jets made it to the AFC championship game, and Rex Ryan said the only thing that is different is that this time they plan on winning it. I guess they weren't trying to win last year, so this year I think we're in trouble now that they are going to try.

Yeah, I caught that and thought it was poorly phrased as well.

nevertheless...we're all insecure behind the keyboard, no matter what we say on the forums. Anyone who isn't is either truly deranged or lying to themselves.

Just go ask a Saints' fan.

steeltheone
01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Just can't see Sanchez playing well 3 straight. He is not that good.

steeltheone
01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Other than QB they are the better team on paper. But we have BR7 and are loaded with vets.

sarahpalinhater
01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Other than QB they are the better team on paper. But we have BR7 and are loaded with vets.

Better team on paper other then QB ? What Insane paper are you looking at ?

Better " Elite " WR's ?......No
Better RB ? Well from a tandum look, yes. But as for scoring TD's...No
Better D-Line ?....No
Better LB's.....HELL No!
Better secondary....Yes, slightly though.
Better O-Line ?...Who doesn't have ? :noidea:

But the check marks are mostly on our side.

SteelCurtain0815
01-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Better team on paper other then QB ? What Insane paper are you looking at ?

Better " Elite " WR's ?......No
Better RB ? Well from a tandum look, yes. But as for scoring TD's...No
Better D-Line ?....No
Better LB's.....HELL No!
Better secondary....Yes, slightly though.
Better O-Line ?...Who doesn't have ? :noidea:

But the check marks are mostly on our side.

There's definitely no huge advantage for the Jets, however, it is closer than you think.

[U]QBs- Steelers>Jets (Ben, no question about it gets the nod.)
RBs-Steelers=Jets (Mendenhall had better numbers, but Tomlinson and Greene both averaged over 4 yards per carry to Mendenhall's 3.9, to award the Jets with the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the league.)
WRs-Steelers>Jets (Our rising rookies, veteran leadership, and 4.2 speed beats Jets inconsistent play. #10 scares me a lot though because the guy is so clutch. Miss him) :crying01:
TEs- Steelers=Jets (While Heath is the better blocking TE, Keller is the better receiver. Hopefully, Timmons or Troy account for him.)
OL- Steelers<Jets (Nuff' said.)
DL- Steelers > Jets ( Steelers lead the league against the run, and had the most sacks. Our DL had everything to do with that.)
LBs- Steelers>Jets (Best LB corps in the NFL, plus Harrison will be playing meaner than ever, because he's a Silverback beast.)
DBs- Steelers<Jets (Revis is the best corner since Deion, and Cromartie is a pro bowl-type caliber of a player. I wouldn't trade Ike for either, because he has way too much swag.)
STs- Steelers<Jets (Our kick return game is solid, but it's not enough to overcome our weakness in defensive STs.)

Steelers advanages = 4
Jets advantages= 3
Draws= 3

With all of that being said, I'll take the Steelers by >1. :hatsoff:

tony hipchest
01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
no. the jets are too confident.

their head coach guaranteed a superbowl during hard knocks on HBO, and they just defeated the greatest team of all time.

we are a mere speed bump in their path.

theres no way we can beat them. im just glad we got this far without our qb raping every cheerleader in the opponents stadiums every other weekend.

SeinfeldNut
01-20-2011, 12:13 AM

A very well thought out post, I agree, I never guarantee a win or anything like that, lose always come back as losses. This will be a hard game to win, Jets present challenges for us on both sides of the ball. I am confident in our team & theirs chances of winning, but we will see how it goes on Sunday night.

SteelCurtain0815
01-20-2011, 12:18 AM
no. the jets are too confident.

their head coach guaranteed a superbowl during hard knocks on HBO, and they just defeated the greatest team of all time.

we are a mere speed bump in their path.

theres no way we can beat them. im just glad we got this far without our qb raping every cheerleader in the opponents stadiums every other weekend.

Gotta love it when the only negative thing an opposing fan can say about our team is that our QB rapes people, but yet he was never charged with anything. By the way, I don't haveprettyfeet2, they sort of resemble a footsoldiers, with athlete's feet. Good thing Bigfoot can't fit into my shoes, or he would get the disease between his toes. :popcorn:

tony hipchest
01-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Gotta love it when the only negative thing an opposing fan can say about our team is that our QB rapes people, but yet he was never charged with anything. By the way, I don't haveprettyfeet2, they sort of resemble a footsoldiers, with athlete's feet. Good thing Bigfoot can't fit into my shoes, or he would get the disease between his toes. :popcorn:

hehehe.

i didnt notice until now but i said the jets just de-feet-ed the greatest team of all time. :chuckle:

i really think if any team or fanbase is too overconfident it is the jets. they think this year is theirs.

the steelers suffered humility last season losing to the browns, and are taking nothing for granted-

ben was suspended.
they lost holmes
inexperienced receivers
oldest defense
worst o-line in the league
kicker sucks
replacement punter sucks (anyone got his jersey yet?)
ike cant catch
william gay
smith is out
harrison & woodley is held on every play
harrison is targeted with league fines
green light to tee off on ben
troys achilles

12-4
homefield advantage in the AFCC game
bring on the jets! :tt04:

chitownpit
01-20-2011, 12:59 AM
There's definitely no huge advantage for the Jets, however, it is closer than you think.

[U]QBs- Steelers>Jets (Ben, no question about it gets the nod.)
RBs-Steelers=Jets (Mendenhall had better numbers, but Tomlinson and Greene both averaged over 4 yards per carry to Mendenhall's 3.9, to award the Jets with the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the league.)
WRs-Steelers>Jets (Our rising rookies, veteran leadership, and 4.2 speed beats Jets inconsistent play. #10 scares me a lot though because the guy is so clutch. Miss him) :crying01:
TEs- Steelers=Jets (While Heath is the better blocking TE, Keller is the better receiver. Hopefully, Timmons or Troy account for him.)
OL- Steelers<Jets (Nuff' said.)
DL- Steelers > Jets ( Steelers lead the league against the run, and had the most sacks. Our DL had everything to do with that.)
LBs- Steelers>Jets (Best LB corps in the NFL, plus Harrison will be playing meaner than ever, because he's a Silverback beast.)
DBs- Steelers<Jets (Revis is the best corner since Deion, and Cromartie is a pro bowl-type caliber of a player. I wouldn't trade Ike for either, because he has way too much swag.)
STs- Steelers<Jets (Our kick return game is solid, but it's not enough to overcome our weakness in defensive STs.)

Steelers advanages = 4
Jets advantages= 3
Draws= 3

With all of that being said, I'll take the Steelers by >1. :hatsoff:

Think that paper was pressed in New York !!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:

sharkweek
01-20-2011, 01:06 AM

I don't think anyone would argue Sanchez is better than Ben, or that our OL has is clearly weaker than theirs.

Its also easier to argue that their running game is better than ours given then tandem look (of course good luck running against our D)

But are their WR's better than ours? Our young guys are mostly potential right now, but when we consider Hines and the TEs I would definitely take our WR corps even though we still have some guys cutting their teeth.

Same goes for defensive line and LBs, our defense is league leading in spite of our DBs because of our stellar DL and LBs. Jets DBs are hands down better, save for Polamalu.

That just leaves special teams, which they needed to beat us last time. Can't count on that every game no matter how good your special teams are. If you could the Bears would be a dynasty.

Not sure how they're the better team on paper...its a pretty even push, but when we consider how important the QB is I'd say we're clearly the better team on paper.

SteelCurtain0815
01-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Think that paper was pressed in New York !!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:

Are you calling me a troll? You've got to be kidding me. I bleed black and gold. True story.

MikeHaullace
01-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Steelers > Jets

/thread